ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Line opened at -12 last night and has already moved to 13. Very surprised it's that high.

I'm still waiting on our service to put out updated B1G champ odds to put the West teams in order. Guessing Purdue is best but Minnesota, then Illinois next and close.

Neb fan here. I was expecting around -7 to -9. I was surprised when I saw it. Vegas lines are generated with just game stats. Our defensive stats through the first 4 games were worst in the nation. Atrocious. After we fired our DC, the past 2 games havnt even been recognizable. Not great but a decent defense that had kept us in the games despite our Offense being pretty pedestrian.

Our Oline is historically bad. A few starters out and we have nothing left to fill the holes. For me a large part of this game (and the rest of our games) will come down to if Purdue can get into the backfield and/or shut down the run game. Pack the box and I think Purdue comes out the winner.

Neb fan here. I was expecting around -7 to -9. I was surprised when I saw it. Vegas lines are generated with just game stats. Our defensive stats through the first 4 games were worst in the nation. Atrocious. After we fired our DC, the past 2 games havnt even been recognizable. Not great but a decent defense that had kept us in the games despite our Offense being pretty pedestrian.

Our Oline is historically bad. A few starters out and we have nothing left to fill the holes. For me a large part of this game (and the rest of our games) will come down to if Purdue can get into the backfield and/or shut down the run game. Pack the box and I think Purdue comes out the winner.
Purdue has not allowed more than 42 yards of rushing to any running back. The top 2 rushing performances were by dual threat QB. Purdue will try to take away the run and make Nebraska one dimensional.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I saw an opening line of -11 yesterday morning. The line now sits at -14 on DK.

Nebraska lose a player or are people just betting heavy in favor of Boilers?

Last edited:
I think it will be close. The past couple weeks suggest Nebraska really isn't a bad team so much as Frost, for whatever reason, just couldn't get the team over the hump. I expect an entertaining game with both teams getting at least into the mid-twenties.

Reactions: indyogb
Purdue has not allowed more than 42 yards of rushing to any running back. The top 2 rushing performances were by dual threat QB. Purdue will try to take away the run and make Nebraska one dimensional.
With the assumption that the run game isnt going to be good, it'll probably come down to If the pass rush gets to Thompson. With adequate time he's got a great arm and a couple good options.. When he gets pressured, he's got stone feet and doesn't seem to make many throws at all.

We have an NFL running back in Grant that has absolutely no one to block for him. Sad.

Reactions: leodisflowers
With the assumption that the run game isnt going to be good, it'll probably come down to If the pass rush gets to Thompson. With adequate time he's got a great arm and a couple good options.. When he gets pressured, he's got stone feet and doesn't seem to make many throws at all.

We have an NFL running back in Grant that has absolutely no one to block for him. Sad.
Might be a long day for you then. Purdues front 4 has been VERY good at stopping the run with RBs. Our only weakness has been running QBs.

If we can limit turnovers Purdue should come close to the -12,-13 number IMO

He throws a good deep ball which kind of scares me

Nebraska fans are the booziest fan base. We cracked the top 25. Watch out for the beer lines this weekend..

Reactions: goboilers2

is that why Stepp left?

Matt Rhule is available now after the Panthers fired him.
He will get a college job. I wonder if the writing was on the wall enough for him to ask to be fired now. If they wait until the end of the season his college options are not what they are today. I bet he has a handshake deal somewhere before the college season ends.

Might be a long day for you then. Purdues front 4 has been VERY good at stopping the run with RBs. Our only weakness has been running QBs.

If we can limit turnovers Purdue should come close to the -12,-13 number IMO
Yeah this is my thought as well. But this is where coaches are paid to be coaches. Have to make a game plan to get Thompson out of the pocket long enough to throw a couple Bombs. Not sure there is anything we can do though.

Tre Palmer is a dangerous dude and has been a huge reason why we won the last 2 games.. Thompson just launching the ball in his direction.

You guys beat IU at home and squeaked by Rutgers. Not exactly murderer’s row. Wins are wins, but it’s not like you beat Minnesota at Minnesota or Maryland at Maryland.

Joseph has done a good job because usually interim coaches have trouble keeping the car on the road. Nebraska seems a bit more disciplined than when Frost was HC.

One of Purdue’s strengths is its DL. We don’t have a stud like George Karlaftis this year but have some good starters and depth. We’ve been better against the run than in past seasons and have held some good rushing teams down like Penn State, Syracuse, and Maryland last week.

Yeah this is my thought as well. But this is where coaches are paid to be coaches. Have to make a game plan to get Thompson out of the pocket long enough to throw a couple Bombs. Not sure there is anything we can do though.

Tre Palmer is a dangerous dude and has been a huge reason why we won the last 2 games.. Thompson just launching the ball in his direction.
Purdue has excelled at stopping the run WITHOUT COMMITTING EXTRA attention to it. So, against a team with an OL like yours I expect a 4-2-5 look with widened out coverage and two high safeties.. very little cushion from the corners.. Purdue’s DL does a good job of cleaning up the run on their own.

some Purdue fans cite shrader and perry having good days, but forget that Purdue didn’t have Jalen Graham. This is NOT Indiana or Rutgers. Purdue 38 Nebraska 17

Purdue has excelled at stopping the run WITHOUT COMMITTING EXTRA attention to it. So, against a team with an OL like yours I expect a 4-2-5 look with widened out coverage and two high safeties.. very little cushion from the corners.. Purdue’s DL does a good job of cleaning up the run on their own.

some Purdue fans cite shrader and perry having good days, but forget that Purdue didn’t have Jalen Graham. This is NOT Indiana or Rutgers. Purdue 38 Nebraska 17
2 high safeties? I think English forgets that is even an option for looong stretches.

Line opened at -12 last night and has already moved to 13. Very surprised it's that high.

I'm still waiting on our service to put out updated B1G champ odds to put the West teams in order. Guessing Purdue is best but Minnesota, then Illinois next and close.
Don't touch the spread, especially with today's injury news. Money line, maybe, but our games have been coming down to a few plays and a few possessions.

Inside scoop on Wisconsin. The only reason they are so low and not in first is the majority of their fans bring their own drinks. They buy the other drinks as chasers to their other drinks!

Reactions: indyogb
I don’t think we were single high against Maryland at all

THEFOUROFUS-101022-205859.JPG

First Maryland snap of the game. Didn’t watch the whole reply though.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Nebraska is 3-2 @ Purdue since joining the B10...our secondary is bad this year so I could see Purdue scoring a good amount unless we can get home. Purdue doesn't get sacks so I think Nebraska scores along with them.

Nebraska is 3-2 @ Purdue since joining the B10...our secondary is bad this year so I could see Purdue scoring a good amount unless we can get home. Purdue doesn't get sacks so I think Nebraska scores along with them.
Nebraska will be 3-3 @ Purdue after this week’s game. Brohm did pretty well vs. Frostie. The only game that still irks me against Nebraska was the last one before Frost came in - Nebraska pulled one out at the very end of the game - your coach still got canned shortly thereafter.

Reactions: pboiler18
Nebraska will be 3-3 @ Purdue after this week’s game. Brohm did pretty well vs. Frostie. The only game that still irks me against Nebraska was the last one before Frost came in - Nebraska pulled one out at the very end of the game - your coach still got canned shortly thereafter.
Purdue beat MN with their two best players out...Team isn't that great.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
Purdue beat MN with their two best players out...Team isn't that great.
Purdue beat MN without their best defensive player (Graham), their starting RB (Doerue), their starting WR (Thompson), and several other players. Along with that, O'Connell was hurt (ribs). So don't give me the crap about injuries being the reason Purdue won. That's lame.

And BTW, I guess Maryland isn't that good either.

I think the line feels high also.
Recent games in the series have typically come down to one possession.
Purdue games this season have typically come down to one possession.

Vegas knows about the following things:

- Nebraska's top CB, Quinton Newsome will be out with a Groin Injury.
- Nebraska's top LB, Luke Reimer, is likely out the next few weeks.
- Nebraska Offensive Coordinator, Mark Whipple, has been dealing with health scares the last few weeks, and may be forced to literally retire. He's missed a number of days the last few weeks.

Add that to a team with an already bad defense and a terrible offensive line.

The Spread makes more sense than some might think, especially with Graham coming back for Purdue.

The only way Nebraska covers the spread is if Purdue continues to extend opposing drives with dumb penalties and commits a handful of turnovers.

Vegas knows about the following things:

- Nebraska's top CB, Quinton Newsome will be out with a Groin Injury.
- Nebraska's top LB, Luke Reimer, is likely out the next few weeks.
- Nebraska Offensive Coordinator, Mark Whipple, has been dealing with health scares the last few weeks, and may be forced to literally retire. He's missed a number of days the last few weeks.

Add that to a team with an already bad defense and a terrible offensive line.

The Spread makes more sense than some might think, especially with Graham coming back for Purdue.

The only way Nebraska covers the spread is if Purdue continues to extend opposing drives with dumb penalties and commits a handful of turnovers.
Don’t underestimate Purdue’s ability to play to the level of its opponent

I haven't watched Nebraska, but if their QB is into just chucking bombs deep to any reasonably talented receivers, that's a problem for Purdue. There will be PI flags all over the place and a good chance a couple are completed.

Reactions: Dennis H.
Purdue beat MN without their best defensive player (Graham), their starting RB (Doerue), their starting WR (Thompson), and several other players. Along with that, O'Connell was hurt (ribs). So don't give me the crap about injuries being the reason Purdue won. That's lame.

And BTW, I guess Maryland isn't that good either.
You are comparing Doerue to Ibrahim??? LOL

Autman-Bell also has almost 2,000 receiving yards in a less pass happy offense.

For the record I favor Purdue to beat Nebraska...just don't think Purdue is that good. B10 sucks this year.

For the record I favor Purdue to beat Nebraska...just don't think Purdue is that good. B10 sucks this year.
He said we were missing more good players than MN was.

Ibrahim is 24 years old. If he was that great, he’d be in the NFL already.

And Ibrahim's backup, Trey Potts, is a career 1,000 yard rusher at 5.1 ypc in his own right.
Purdue held him to 13 yards on 9 carries.

I don't see anyone around here proclaiming Purdue's greatness. If your mission here is to keep Purdue fans humbled, your services are not required. We have been conditioned to be functionally allergic to optimism.

Did I say Doerue was as good as Ibraham? No. What I said is that Purdue was without some of it's best players. Reading comprehension matters. But what would I expect from a Nebraska fan?

Yeah, because Purdue's 2 losses were by a combined 7 points against the number 10 and number 18 ranked teams. But don't let that get in the way of your logic...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT