ADVERTISEMENT

My take on Iowa

Don't let these Iowa fans fool you into thinking they're something special because they're not and neither is their team. If you like fans who boo injured players and create enough noise so the opposing team can't hear signals then you'll fit right in. They know who the better team was Saturday, they know....
baby-crying-baby.gif

As a hawkeye fan, this game concerns me because these purdue teams have consistently had success against iowas defense. And they had been able to do it every year with guys other than Rondale Moore. The last 2(?) Years david bell has had insane games. i fully expect david bell to get his 100+ yards receiving and a td or two.

I still expect Iowa to win the game because I have mentally bought into the hype (if not now, when?). But the logical part of my brain keeps thinking about how purdue has been able to do things against iowas defense that most other offenses havent figured out

Don't let these Iowa fans fool you into thinking they're something special because they're not and neither is their team. If you like fans who boo injured players and create enough noise so the opposing team can't hear signals then you'll fit right in. They know who the better team was Saturday, they know....
This is the crap we've been dealing with from the most immature fan base in America.

71d5fb1580dc21302360809dbdc0c9ae.jpg

debatable
Hankins makes better reads and is rarely out of position. He was the one that stoned the PSU RB out of the backfield on 4th down at the end of the game. Moss has been burned a couple times biting up when he needed to stay over the top. Moss is probably the more physically gifted off the two and maybe a slightly better tackler.

Reactions: chaneccooms
I was going to counter that he is your leader in interceptions. Then I saw you guys have 16 on the season. Holy smokes. How is that even possible?? We've got 2. lol
Our secondary genuinely believes that ball is as much theirs as anyone's as soon as it's in the air. On a lot of our ints they look like the intended receiver. We do also get a lot of tips. Our DL is very active and long. Think Syracuse zone defense in basketball.

You not only are visiting HawkeyeReport but are coming onto our next opponent's message board to whine/ sulk? Sorry our crowd was too loud for your team? GTFO of here loser, these Purdue fans DGAF about you and your fans' feelings.
Damn right. GTFO PSU. Go whine and piss your pants on your own board.

So is this a game where you put Plummer back in as starter, let him dink and dunk down the field, punt when nothing is open, and make Iowa go 80 yards? I'm looking at those 16 INT's by Iowa and thinking a sure fire way to lose this game is by throwing a couple picks early. Do you try to keep it close and scrape out a 13-10 win? Or do you throw caution to the wind?
They play a zone.. we’ve always bear them by going over the top

Uh, we play Iowa every year and I know their fan base well idiot. They were booing you guys trying to slow momentum and of course we know that at second mile stadium you’d never be loud enough to make it hard on an opposing team lol

Reactions: chaneccooms
According to Brohm’s presser Iowa has changed some things to make it more difficult to hit them over the top. Sounded like he was maybe looking to work the underneath stuff more. Or maybe that’s just gamesmanship.
I still don’t like plummer .. he holds the ball too long and doesn’t see the game fast … it happens too fast for him.

I still don’t like plummer .. he holds the ball too long and doesn’t see the game fast … it happens too fast for him.
In general I prefer what Aidan brings to the table. Think we can beat a team like Northwestern by scoring 35 points with him at QB. But I don’t see a path to more than 20 points against a defense like Iowa on the road. And if we give them a pick 6 or short fields in the process due to INT it is game over. That is Iowa’s best offense. Winning ugly might be the name of the game. Limit turnovers, move the ball in short chunks, no negative plays, limit possessions, toss a coin who wins.

Only pretender is PSU. You barely beat iu so shut up and run back to your hole in the ground.

We can handle our most hated rival on our own without your crying.

In general I prefer what Aidan brings to the table. Think we can beat a team like Northwestern by scoring 35 points with him at QB. But I don’t see a path to more than 20 points against a defense like Iowa on the road. And if we give them a pick 6 or short fields in the process due to INT it is game over. That is Iowa’s best offense. Winning ugly might be the name of the game. Limit turnovers, move the ball in short chunks, no negative plays, limit possessions, toss a coin who wins.
I think playing two QBs in a season is already bad enough. I think that when one throws for 371 and then the next game the coach “goes with the better matchup” you’re giving schools a treasure chest to negatively recruit against you with.

I get the feeling that there are people here who erroneously think that Aidan is Rex gross man and Jack is Kyle Orton.

on a college scale, it’s more like Aidan is Kyle Orton with a more live arm for college than Orton’s seemed to be in the NFL and Jack is a guy you haven’t heard much from because he holds the ball too long, ducks and gets sacked

I think playing two QBs in a season is already bad enough. I think that when one throws for 371 and then the next game the coach “goes with the better matchup” you’re giving schools a treasure chest to negatively recruit against you with.
Been playing multiple QBs for years. Now inked 2 four star QBs in back to back classes. Maybe it shows there is opportunity available?

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
First it was Indiana delusion. Although that was about 50/50. Next came Penn State. That was bad. That actually still is bad.

It's pretty hard to get worked about about Purdue fans after all that. And that drum and train.

I'm not sure if it is going to be this week, but Iowa is going to come back down to Earth soon. They are playing solid football, and my hat is off to their great 6-0 start. They do a good job of not making big mistakes and forcing opponents to beat themselves. And with the way our offense has been playing, that might be plenty. But they simply aren't a #2 team. With an extra bye week to prepare, against a team/coach Brohm has had success against, this is not an impossible challenge like it would be against a #2 team with #2 talent like Bama or OSU.

Putting some numbers to this.. FPI has Iowa at #13 currently. They actually finished #12 by this metric last year. So I am not convinced this year's Iowa team is significantly different than last year's. I get that Iowa fans would probably say that they just got off to a slow start last year, but if you look at the last 4 years, Iowa had some of their worst performances in 3 of those 4 seasons against Purdue. That isn't coincidence. And the year they won it was far from their best game.

I see a close, competitive game. Throw out the rankings. I'll ride the trend until it gets bucked.
So who is legitimately a #2 team?

OU. They gave up 48 pts to Texas and struggled several times this season.
PSU. No.
Oregon. No
Bama. We saw what happened.
Cincy. I suppose. But ND is not looking great.
Mich. Maybe.
OSU. Top 5 yes but with a loss already you can’t argue #2

PSU. No.
Oregon. No
Mich. Maybe.
It seems Iowa State and Indinia were both somewhat overrated. PSU was not.

Is there another team I would put at #2 besides Iowa right now? No. Iowa is playing smart and efficient. Forcing mega number of TOs. Defense and ST have been nails. Pedestrian offense but gets the job done.

Do I think Iowa stays in the Top 5 through this whole season? No.

Been playing multiple QBs for years. Now inked 2 four star QBs in back to back classes. Maybe it shows there is opportunity available?
Playing multiple QBs when one played bad and you go into the next game with another guy is one thing.

When one throws for 371 and you “go with the better matchup” that’s something else.

“I’ll have opportunity there”
“Uh, you mean to play well and not be the ‘best matchup,?”

I have a lot of respect for what ferentz does and for what they do in a locale similar to west Lafayette.. probably worse in the sense that they aren’t 2 hours from Chicago and one hour from indy.

what we are missing in terms of line of scrimmage play on offense, they have always been missing in terms of imaginative play calling and alignments. That’s why we have a chance.

our offense vs their defense

approach 1 (more likely) - they play our run with four down lineman and maybe 2 LBs playing cleanup or one spying the run. They are content to give up 100 rushing yards like Minnesota did if it allows them to back their coverage up and not get beat by the deep throws brohm has beat them with for four years.

approach 2 (more scary) - they play up close, try to take away short routes and bring horrific pressure to Oconnell. Oconnell actually had one play where he saw a corner blitz coming and wanted to go to a hot route to the WR but the WR never saw the ball. That showed me how far good college passing games are from the NFL.

either way, points will be tough to come by. If the OL made any progress, I think we can get 27 if we play well

their offense vs our D - they’ve got a problem. Petras. Petras is probably more physically gifted than plummer, but the game happens pretty slow for him and he’s not an accurate passer. George is a world beater both ways. Far superior to any penn state DL. That makes running the ball and therefore play action difficult … because the other three linemen are stout.

Petras will have to pass on us straight up to win this game. In previous seasons I’d say “okay, he can hit the TE. But when your coverage team is gonna he brown, Mackey and Graham across the WRs/TE, I’m not anticipating busted coverages or gimmes.

I respect Iowa a lot and I think they have superior football players across their 85, and yeah.. we may have some things to terribly wrong (bad turnovers on offense), but if we can avoid those things I think we have a shot in this game. Should be a good one. Or a bad one if we throw a couple pick sixes
Great analysis. I agree with your conclusions and believe we have a fighting chance for an upset. Turnovers will be the key. Aidan will have to be very accurate and our receivers really need to focus and tuck. Norm

Reactions: BCfanatic2020

PSU. No.
Oregon. No
Mich. Maybe.

Iowa has earned the #2 ranking. But with the struggles you have offensively, it seems a little like fool's gold.

Speaking of gold, that awful yellow/gold color you pair with black is abhorrent and I HATE it.

Seriously though, you can't think you can maintain forcing 3+ T/Os a game to win (its happened 1 time for a P5 team in the last 10 years). That's why I said here over the weekend if Purdue doesn't turn the ball over they have a great chance to win.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Great analysis. I agree with your conclusions and believe we have a fighting chance for an upset. Turnovers will be the key. Aidan will have to be very accurate and our receivers really need to focus and tuck. Norm
We cannot turn the ball over. Iowa lives and dies by turning other teams over. They are like +15 in TO margin right now. They get lots of short fields and cash in.

Can Iowa block Big George with one man, every team so far has used 2 or more, Iowa linemen are good, but we need our other DE to make some plays too. Boiler Defense is so much improved, they need to get some turnovers which they haven’t been doing. Aiden and company has to do their job and move the chains, eat some clock and ……score.
Can Iowa be beat, yes. It will take Purdue’s very best game of the year to do it.

Coming off a bye week, if not now, when?

According to Brohm’s presser Iowa has changed some things to make it more difficult to hit them over the top. Sounded like he was maybe looking to work the underneath stuff more. Or maybe that’s just gamesmanship.
There's a ton of yards to be had on Iowa's D in the intermediate passing game, especially early.

The philosophy is to not give up anything cheap over the top, try to get home rushing four, and bank on the opponent not being able to execute all the way down the field. If the DL can't get pressure, then Parker will start to dial up the blitzes.

Patient, accurate passing is the best way to move the ball on Iowa.

PSU. No.
Oregon. No
Mich. Maybe.
Nobody is arguing Iowa’s ranking here.
That’ll work itself out. From a Purdue perspective, this is a game we have a chance in. Bama at home would be favored by four touchdowns over Purdue. Same with OSU.

Can Iowa block Big George with one man, every team so far has used 2 or more, Iowa linemen are good, but we need our other DE to make some plays too. Boiler Defense is so much improved, they need to get some turnovers which they haven’t been doing. Aiden and company has to do their job and move the chains, eat some clock and ……score.
Can Iowa be beat, yes. It will take Purdue’s very best game of the year to do it.

Coming off a bye week, if not now, when?
George is the most physically dominant player we’ve had probably since rod woodson. Single blocking him would be a mistake by any team

Playing multiple QBs when one played bad and you go into the next game with another guy is one thing.

When one throws for 371 and you “go with the better matchup” that’s something else.

“I’ll have opportunity there”
“Uh, you mean to play well and not be the ‘best matchup,?”
Meh. Or a guy like Brady Allen is confident seeing the interceptions and lack of touchdowns and thinking, “I can come in and compete right away against guys with obvious flaws. Coach is open to competition, and all I need is an opportunity.” Either way, you do whatever you need to do to win the game on Saturday. The recruiting appears to be covered at the position for the next few years.

Meh. Or a guy like Brady Allen is confident seeing the interceptions and lack of touchdowns and thinking, “I can come in and compete right away against guys with obvious flaws. Coach is open to competition, and all I need is an opportunity.” Either way, you do whatever you need to do to win the game on Saturday. The recruiting appears to be covered at the position for the next few years.
Anything Oconnell does that isn’t good can pretty much be traced to the OL. Unless you think …

1) if we were able to dare a team to play their front 7 back by running all over them, which
2) would lead to defenses having to pick their poison,
3) Oconnell couldn’t hit open receivers all day…

if you think that then we just fundamentally disagree on a lot and that’s ok

Anything Oconnell does that isn’t good can pretty much be traced to the OL. Unless you think …

1) if we were able to dare a team to play their front 7 back by running all over them, which
2) would lead to defenses having to pick their poison,
3) Oconnell couldn’t hit open receivers all day…

if you think that then we just fundamentally disagree on a lot and that’s ok
Nah. But you've jumped from how a coaching decision affects recruiting (which is 99% perception) to some underlying issues. This isn't an indictment of Aidan. But don't you think a 4 star recruit sees him and thinks "Oh, I got that guy beat!"

Nah. But you've jumped from how a coaching decision affects recruiting (which is 99% perception) to some underlying issues. This isn't an indictment of Aidan. But don't you think a 4 star recruit sees him and thinks "Oh, I got that guy beat!"
And then a coach calls him to say “hey here, once youre the guy, if you play well, there’s no one else coming in cause of matchups” lol

Iowa has won 12 straight, since last year's 0-2 start, so not sure I would say Week 7 is a similar position.

I'm not sure if it is going to be this week, but Iowa is going to come back down to Earth soon. They are playing solid football, and my hat is off to their great 6-0 start. They do a good job of not making big mistakes and forcing opponents to beat themselves. And with the way our offense has been playing, that might be plenty. But they simply aren't a #2 team. With an extra bye week to prepare, against a team/coach Brohm has had success against, this is not an impossible challenge like it would be against a #2 team with #2 talent like Bama or OSU.

Putting some numbers to this.. FPI has Iowa at #13 currently. They actually finished #12 by this metric last year. So I am not convinced this year's Iowa team is significantly different than last year's. I get that Iowa fans would probably say that they just got off to a slow start last year, but if you look at the last 4 years, Iowa had some of their worst performances in 3 of those 4 seasons against Purdue. That isn't coincidence. And the year they won it was far from their best game.

I see a close, competitive game. Throw out the rankings. I'll ride the trend until it gets bucked.

FPI is a joke. Explain Iowa State as a Top 10 team? Moved up after bye week in Week 6.

Pitt better than Penn State and Iowa? Both PSU and Iowa dropped one, after their game.

Iowa is what Jeff Brohm said they are, they have improved, especially on defense.

Purdue at Iowa isn't likely a 24-20 game, if venues are flipped last season.

Clearly, turnovers and penalties cost Iowa at Purdue last year. The Hawkeyes likely will be better in that area in Week 7.

Iowa hasn't been running as consistently in 2021 compared to 2020. Two fumbles impacted last year's game.

Purdue will need to win the turnover game. Penn State and most Iowa opponents haven't in 2021.

Iowa's OL is typically stronger as weeks go on, unless injuries impact them. Injuries did impact Iowa this season at the beginning of the season.

Iowa has been starting a true freshman at RG due to Indiana prep Justin Britt's injury bugs. Senior Kyler Schott missed first two games at LG this year. He was Iowa's 2nd best player returning per PFF College.

Last season, Iowa passed the ball more in their 0-2 start, compared to the six games that Iowa won.

QB Spencer Petras is 12-2 now as a starter. He has improved over the course of those 14 games, but slow starts have been noticeable the past two B1G games.

He has lead Iowa to good TD drives down 7-3 at Maryland and down 17-3 against Penn State, respectively.

He is hitting 60% of his passes, after 57%. Iowa is getting more explosive plays than their opponents in their 6-0 start, but the offense is doing just enough, in most people's views.

Special teams and defense are Iowa's strengths. Field position has been huge.
Iowa best drive this year was a methodical 20 play, 95 yard drive to take a 16-7 lead into the half in Week 3.

Two freshmen WRs have made B1G plays lately. Two starting WRs had key TD receptions against Penn State.

“The biggest thing when we’re not moving the ball how we’d like is just to keep it one play at a time,” Petras said. “The interception I threw to Nico (Ragaini), that was forced. We’re not moving the ball. I want to make it happen too much, and you force it. You can’t force anything, whether it’s in the run game or the pass game; you have to let it develop and let it happen.”

Petras regained some composure the rest of the game. He led the Hawkeyes on an 11-play, 75-yard touchdown drive during which the Hawkeyes converted four third-down opportunities. After his horrendous start, Petras completed 16 of 22 passes for 181 yards and two scores. - Scott Dochterman, The Athletic wrote.

Ironically, Iowa-Purdue 1985 in West Lafayette was last time Iowa was ranked this high.

The Boilermakers missed B1G opportunity late in that game in 1985. It will be Homecoming in Iowa City, just like 2019 game.

The 23-20 win over Penn State was the highest Top 5 match up at Kinnick, since the 1985 game against #1 Iowa vs. #2 Michigan that the Hawkeyes won on a walk off field goal.

“Everybody knows Spencer has a pretty strong arm,” WR Nico Ragaini said. “He’s making crazy throws every single week. At practice, we ran this play, and he threw the ball like 70 yards down the field, which was pretty wild. He put the ball on the line straight to me. So that’s what we see every day.

“I was thinking about it all game. I was hoping he would call it, and he called it, and we pulled through and got the play.”

The longest streak Iowa owns is holding teams to 24 or less points, since their 31-28 Black Friday win over Nebraska in 2018.

If you are coming out to Iowa City this weekend, save travels to you and it should be a good brisk Autumn day with sun.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Iowa has won 12 straight, since last year's 0-2 start, so not sure I would say Week 7 is a similar position.

FPI is a joke. Explain Iowa State as a Top 10 team? Moved up after bye week in Week 6.

Pitt better than Penn State and Iowa? Both PSU and Iowa dropped one, after their game.

Iowa is what Jeff Brohm said they are, they have improved, especially on defense.

Clearly, turnovers and penalties cost Iowa at Purdue last year. The Hawkeyes likely will be better in that area in Week 7.

Iowa hasn't been running as consistently in 2021 compared to 2020. Two fumbles impacted last year's game.

Purdue will need to win the turnover game. Penn State and most Iowa opponents haven't in 2021.

Iowa's OL is typically stronger as weeks go on, unless injuries impact them. Injuries did impact Iowa this season at the beginning of the season.

Iowa has been starting a true freshman at RG due to Indiana prep Justin Britt's injury bugs. Senior Kyler Schott missed first two games at LG this year. He was Iowa's 2nd best player returning per PFF College.

Last season, Iowa passed the ball more in their 0-2 start, compared to the six games that Iowa won.

QB Spencer Petras is 12-2 now as a starter. He has improved over the course of those 14 games, but slow starts have been noticeable the past two B1G games.

He has lead Iowa to good TD drives down 7-3 at Maryland and down 17-3 against Penn State, respectively.

He is hitting 60% of his passes, after 57%. Iowa is getting more explosive plays than their opponents in their 6-0 start, but the offense is doing just enough, in most people's views.

Iowa best drive this year was a methodical 20 play, 95 yard drive to take a 16-7 lead into the half in Week 3.

Two freshmen WRs have made B1G plays lately. Two starting WRs had key TD receptions against Penn State.

“The biggest thing when we’re not moving the ball how we’d like is just to keep it one play at a time,” Petras said. “The interception I threw to Nico (Ragaini), that was forced. We’re not moving the ball. I want to make it happen too much, and you force it. You can’t force anything, whether it’s in the run game or the pass game; you have to let it develop and let it happen.”

Petras regained some composure the rest of the game. He led the Hawkeyes on an 11-play, 75-yard touchdown drive during which the Hawkeyes converted four third-down opportunities. After his horrendous start, Petras completed 16 of 22 passes for 181 yards and two scores. - Scott Dochterman, The Athletic wrote.

Ironically, Iowa-Purdue 1985 in West Lafayette was last time Iowa was ranked this high.

The Boilermakers missed B1G opportunity late in that game in 1985. It will be Homecoming in Iowa City, just like 2019 game.

The 23-20 win over Penn State was the highest Top 5 match up at Kinnick, since the 1985 game against #1 Iowa vs. #2 Michigan that the Hawkeyes won on a walk off field goal.

“Everybody knows Spencer has a pretty strong arm,” WR Nico Ragaini said. “He’s making crazy throws every single week. At practice, we ran this play, and he threw the ball like 70 yards down the field, which was pretty wild. He put the ball on the line straight to me. So that’s what we see every day.

“I was thinking about it all game. I was hoping he would call it, and he called it, and we pulled through and got the play.”

The longest streak Iowa owns is holding teams to 24 or less points, since their 31-28 Black Friday win over Nebraska in 2018.

If you are coming out to Iowa City this weekend, save travels to you and it should be a good brisk Autumn day with sun.
It’s gonna be a competitive game unless Purdue QB makes unforced errors in the passing game

Reactions: GolfHacker1
We’re spending a lot of time on Purdue offense vs. Iowa defense.. Think our Iowa friends have figured out yet that the Diacofense left town?

• Love
Reactions: TheGunner
We’re spending a lot of time on Purdue offense vs. Iowa defense.. Think our Iowa friends have figured out yet that the Diacofense left town?
The ones who watched your game against Minnesota have ;). I'm more concerned about your defense. They're top 10 in FBS in scoring D. And I know your DE with the weird name that's been there forever is a beast.

Using Iowa and “explosive plays” in the same sentence is an oxymoron. Iowa’s offense is a lot of good things, but explosive is not one of them.

Using Iowa and “explosive plays” in the same sentence is an oxymoron. Iowa’s offense is a lot of good things, but explosive is not one of them.
They're basically middle of the pack within the conference:
12th in 10+ yard scrimmage plays
7th in 20+
8th in 30+
6th in 40+

But the direct quote was, "more explosive plays than their opponents." Which is entirely correct within that context. Long scrimmage plays gained vs allowed:

(10+) 61 vs 54
(20+) 22 vs 14
(30+) 11 vs 8
(40+) 8 vs 3

I think after the game you will have a little different opinion of Iowa's offense. They don't put up gaudy stats, but they are definitely better than the national reputation.
Their points per play is always going to be low, IMO. But they selectively take their shots and have been cashing in on a good percentage of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT