ADVERTISEMENT

My take on Iowa

Question for Iowa interlopers.. I've got your RB Goodson in fantasy. Whose number is your coach going to call on 3rd & goal from the 1? 15, 7, 21, or 38? He has been producing for me, but I'm worried about those vultures in short yardage. Is NW's Hull a better bet this week?

Best pork tenderloin sandwich in Iowa abs best pizza in Iowa? And why are Nebraska fans so.. Nebraska fanish

From my perspective, Nebraska fans are spoiled.

I much prefer the ups and downs of the Iowa program as it makes the good times more enjoyable. Fortunately, there haven't been too many bad times over the past 20 years.

17-10 with Clifford. Iowa has shut down everyone in the second half reguardless
In the Maryland game Tua was 10-13 for 97 yds 1 TD and 1 int to start the game.

How the rest of the game go for him? You can't assume that Clifford would have been able to continue his pace.

From my perspective, Nebraska fans are spoiled.

I much prefer the ups and downs of the Iowa program as it makes the good times more enjoyable. Fortunately, there haven't been too many bad times over the past 20 years.
Yeah your downs would really hurt my feelings 🙄

Tough to get in. Thin crust. Sausage is ground fresh every day. No cheese on the table as he has his own blend on the pizza. Not New York, but similar.
I have a list like this for every state… I’ll add pagliai… any other suggestions to add other than “Purdue wins shitburgers” in Iowa city 😂

Iowa (9)
Pizza - Zipp’s, Adair
Need, Cedar Rapids
Gusto, Des Moines
Burger - zombie, Des Moines
BBQ - Smokey D’s, Des Moines
Other - chili, georges, Des Moines
Fried chicken, sugapeach, north liberty
Hot dog, bobs drive in, le mars
Ice cream, whiteys, Bettendorf

I have a list like this for every state… I’ll add pagliai… any other suggestions to add other than “Purdue wins shitburgers” in Iowa city 😂

Iowa (9)
Pizza - Zipp’s, Adair
Need, Cedar Rapids
Gusto, Des Moines
Wig and Pen is also quality pizza and a hidden gem in my opinion is Red's Alehouse in North Liberty.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Iowa fan here

Strange game all around. I think Iowa is a little better in all three areas BUT we seem to not play well against Purdue and Brohm in particular. He stunts and blitzes at the right time and Iowa has failed to take advantage of that over the last few years. Purdue's O has done a good job of keeping Iowa off balance and guessing a little while exploiting the weak spots in their zone cover two.

Iowa (9)
Pizza - Zipp’s, Adair
Need, Cedar Rapids
Gusto, Des Moines

I'm not sure what you like, so can't really answer more than I have. I've been to every B1G stadium, so share a kind of camaraderie with fellow football travelers. Traveler as in football traveler, not some illuminati thing.

I just wish ours would turn around and see the ball once in awhile when it hits them in the helmet.
I hate it when that happens. Iowa's used to play that way all the time back in the day. Not sure how that changed so completely other than perhaps a huge talent upgrade. They play like wide receivers now. 🤔

Reactions: GolfHacker1
I'm not sure what you like, so can't really answer more than I have. I've been to every B1G stadium, so share a kind of camaraderie with fellow football travelers. Traveler as in football traveler, not some illuminati thing.
I just meant any institutions in Iowa that are must tries .. like friggin johnnies beef in elm wood park Illinois

I just meant any institutions in Iowa that are must tries .. like friggin johnnies beef in elm wood park Illinois

The original maid rite is in Marshalltown. Loose meat sandwiches. Taylor's. Not supposed to put ketchup on these I guess.

It's a thing. I don't care for their loose meat sandwiches. I think they are dry. But if you're a maid-rite guy, I guess this is a must do.

A place in Moline, Bass Street Chop House. A5 Japanese Wagyu. BMS between 10-12. They've had Kobe, and yes they had the certificate of authenticity, but that's rare. Doesn't matter, other Japanese Wagyu from nearby Prefectures is better in my opinion. Probably not a huge deal for you as I'd assume Indianapolis has some places like this. It ain't the Beef House in Covington, that a fact.

Graziano's Grocery Store in Des Moines. It is the best Italian sausage I've ever had, and I've been to Sicily, Italy, NYC, etc.

Out of these three, if you enjoy Italian, and don't mind creating it yourself, absolutely stop by Graziano's.

Tumea and Sons is a restaurant next door to Graziano's and they use some Grazinao's meats in their dishes. It's about as old school as you can get in the Midwest, illegal craps games still behind the building. It's not a social club per se, but Des Moines has an Italian population, and Chicago had (has) their guy here for years. Some local government guys in DM just got in some trouble, and that is loosely related. I don't live in Des Moines. Or Chicago. How do I know this? Just buy the sausage and enjoy.

A place in Williamsburg called Myers Catering. I'd call it mid to upper end food in a detached garage.

Call ahead. Supply chain, yada yada....

In the Maryland game Tua was 10-13 for 97 yds 1 TD and 1 int to start the game.

How the rest of the game go for him? You can't assume that Clifford would have been able to continue his pace.
so are you comparing the Terps to psu? way different teams in my book

Les Miles would of been a bigger failure. Just knock it off already. You've gone from mildy annoying to off the deep end just because Purdue didn't pick Miles.

I usually have no problems with you, but you're being ridiculous.
Les didn't come here....Brohm did. And....hear this....I would have expected far more from Les because of where he coached, the players he recruited, and the number of wins playing the big boys thanI would ever expect from Brohm.

Expectations should be based on who's here and who isn't. My feelings that Brohm wasn't/isn't the best coach for PU are still the same from day one because he's still not winning big games. BTW....I haven't believed in the Easter Bunny in years either.

Iowa has great, very athletic skill players. Give Petras 1-2 more seconds and everything will fall in place. Doubters will hop on the band wagon.

First off, all those calling for Brohm's head should realize he is a really good coach. He's doing a good job at Purdue in what is one of the more difficult jobs to perform at in our conference. I think you guys have a legit shot to come out on top of the battle to be the 2nd place team in the B1G West this year and have an 8-4 or 7-5 season. Be happy and let him continue to build. If he was fired you would be thrilled with 7-5 or 6-6 from your new coach in year 1, so support Brohm while he gets those results now and builds toward something bigger in the future.

As for Saturday, since it sounds like Doerue is the only RB with much experience making the trip who are the other names to watch out for at RB this Saturday?

Question for Iowa interlopers.. I've got your RB Goodson in fantasy. Whose number is your coach going to call on 3rd & goal from the 1? 15, 7, 21, or 38? He has been producing for me, but I'm worried about those vultures in short yardage. Is NW's Hull a better bet this week?
Almost always will be a QB sneak to #7.

Reactions: KangarooCry
I have a lot of respect for what ferentz does and for what they do in a locale similar to west Lafayette.. probably worse in the sense that they aren’t 2 hours from Chicago and one hour from indy.

what we are missing in terms of line of scrimmage play on offense, they have always been missing in terms of imaginative play calling and alignments. That’s why we have a chance.

our offense vs their defense

approach 1 (more likely) - they play our run with four down lineman and maybe 2 LBs playing cleanup or one spying the run. They are content to give up 100 rushing yards like Minnesota did if it allows them to back their coverage up and not get beat by the deep throws brohm has beat them with for four years.

approach 2 (more scary) - they play up close, try to take away short routes and bring horrific pressure to Oconnell. Oconnell actually had one play where he saw a corner blitz coming and wanted to go to a hot route to the WR but the WR never saw the ball. That showed me how far good college passing games are from the NFL.

either way, points will be tough to come by. If the OL made any progress, I think we can get 27 if we play well

their offense vs our D - they’ve got a problem. Petras. Petras is probably more physically gifted than plummer, but the game happens pretty slow for him and he’s not an accurate passer. George is a world beater both ways. Far superior to any penn state DL. That makes running the ball and therefore play action difficult … because the other three linemen are stout.

Petras will have to pass on us straight up to win this game. In previous seasons I’d say “okay, he can hit the TE. But when your coverage team is gonna he brown, Mackey and Graham across the WRs/TE, I’m not anticipating busted coverages or gimmes.

I respect Iowa a lot and I think they have superior football players across their 85, and yeah.. we may have some things to terribly wrong (bad turnovers on offense), but if we can avoid those things I think we have a shot in this game. Should be a good one. Or a bad one if we throw a couple pick sixes
If Purdue had a QB, this would be a game. But since they don’t, expect very ugly.

• Haha
Reactions: atlboiler2156
Could have fooled me. He writes with exactly the same crazed style davek used 20 years ago on here. He plays the “go fish” game the same way davek did.
If that’s DaveK he’s lost a lot of himself over time. The real DaveK would have gone back and with you over that comment for the last hour and lambasted the entire team as soft

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT