ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota v. Purdue Game Thread

You’re further proving my point. “You still lose”
But you see losing isn’t acceptable in this game. Bowling Green took it to Minny. Sure the secondary bit early in the 3rd. Minnesota knew we’d be going hard all week planning to stop the run and they took advantage throwing. That’s what a good offense will do. But saying all the blame is on the secondary and one lineman and none is on the guy who gave the ball away for the only two turnovers in the game is hard for me to comprehend. That’s an unfathomable argument
My you still lose comment was about plummer playing it safer.. that’s also how he misses all the good throws Oconnell hits .. by dying a slower death of ducking while sacked and throwing the ball away.

You’re further proving my point. “You still lose”
But you see losing isn’t acceptable in this game. Bowling Green took it to Minny. Sure the secondary bit early in the 3rd. Minnesota knew we’d be going hard all week planning to stop the run and they took advantage throwing. That’s what a good offense will do. But saying all the blame is on the secondary and one lineman and none is on the guy who gave the ball away for the only two turnovers in the game is hard for me to comprehend. That’s an unfathomable argument
My point was to your point about plummer playing it safe.. we still lose because he doesn’t hit many of the good passes Oconnell hits.. death by a lot of sacks, throwaways and 3 and outs

Reactions: decontain
Yes, I agree. Brohm is light years ahead of Hazel. It is just frustrating after Brohm's first two years I though by now he would have us at 9 wins per season.

Also agree the AD blew that once in a lifetime opportunity with Tiller.
You were too optimistic then. 9 wins a year means you sometimes play like an 11 win team but when shit happens you end up at 9

the only way to get a really good coach at a developmental program like ours is get a proven guy ( who made a ?able move or two) on a rebound like a Schiano.
Nah, often times they lack the motivation that proved themselves the first time If they come here, or they are no longer innovative.

the way, other than getting extremely lucky with tiller, who wasn’t their first choice, is to hope a coach like brohm goes from good to very good over time.

if brohm had the 2018 OL we might be 5-0.

a lot of people like to cry when I complain about things like the OL development but brohm is paying for his trust in Williams

as opposed to what? we aren't "derailed" but there's a cow on the tracks
The conditions here are due to not prioritizing football. It’s possible there are no great answers ..

let me put it to you this way. Say you were a great up and coming coach. Would you take a job at the 12th best SEC program or wait until better jobs came open

when are we going to see all those 8-9 win seasons all the fans on this board guaranteed / predicted 4 years ago? i was accused by a fan recently of always being down on purdue. I'm not down on Purdue. I LOVE Purdue. Although I love academics more than athletics. I'm not down down on purdue sports either. I just believe track and baseball and golf and vollyball and crew are as important as the revenue generating sports.

What I'm down on is many of its fans who are always too optimistic rather than being realistic. what i'm also down on is a newcomer asking a question on this board and 10-20 of yo u getting all over his case for asking the question in the first place. Do yo u really expect every purdue fan to read every single post onthis board before posing a simple question? if you didn't like the question, just move on. You don't have to harass the person for asking it.

and it's rather funny to read certain people's posts who use 20-25 posts to argue about vacines and then say, I'm not arguing. You label people who disagree with you as cults. I guess the term snowflake was so last year.

I was never a fan of hope's coaching ability. i just liked the amount he was paid. We could have kept hope indefinitely, gotten the exact same results, and put the coach's salary towards purdue infastructure improvements.

Everyone thought AOC was the savior and Plummer was the problem. It's pretty simple. The OL stinks. I'd start playing the younger OL players down the depth chart and send a message to the current starters. May not win, but not going to anyway the way they're playing.
Not so fast…hold your horses!
Anyone thinking we were going to win in a ground and pound rain soaked environment has not seen the trend. Purdue & Brohm are not winners in rain.
This season still has a lot of team goals ahead of it. 6-6 or 7-5 is still a real possibility. Wisconsin is more beatable than ever. IU and NW are not complete juggernauts either. 5 of the next 7 games I’d put in the category of toss ups.
Possible wins: UW, NEB, MICH ST, NW, and IU. For some reason, Brohm has Ferentz’s and Iowa’s number much like PJ boat rower has Brohm’s. I’m not expecting a W, but a game. Ohio State is the only team we are clearly outmatched.
Can Purdue win 3 of the last 7 games? Absolutely, due to much improved defense. Offense has to come alive and it begins and ends with OL + Brian Brohm might have to take over play calling while coach Jeff Brohm managed entire team. That is past due now.
If OL is weak, find their strengths and play to it more plus don’t let any QB hold the ball more than 2.5 seconds if pressure is on, throw the damn thing in the stands. Take either of those big sacks back and it makes you wonder if Purdue would have picked up points.

Not so fast…hold your horses!
Anyone thinking we were going to win in a ground and pound rain soaked environment has not seen the trend. Purdue & Brohm are not winners in rain.
This season still has a lot of team goals ahead of it. 6-6 or 7-5 is still a real possibility. Wisconsin is more beatable than ever. IU and NW are not complete juggernauts either. 5 of the next 7 games I’d put in the category of toss ups.
Possible wins: UW, NEB, MICH ST, NW, and IU. For some reason, Brohm has Ferentz’s and Iowa’s number much like PJ boat rower has Brohm’s. I’m not expecting a W, but a game. Ohio State is the only team we are clearly outmatched.
Can Purdue win 3 of the last 7 games? Absolutely, due to much improved defense. Offense has to come alive and it begins and ends with OL + Brian Brohm might have to take over play calling while coach Jeff Brohm managed entire team. That is past due now.
If OL is weak, find their strengths and play to it more plus don’t let any QB hold the ball more than 2.5 seconds if pressure is on, throw the damn thing in the stands. Take either of those big sacks back and it makes you wonder if Purdue would have picked up points.
We've scored 13 points the last 3 games. We're not beating IU, Wisconsin, or anyone the rest of the season with that kind of offense, period...

We've scored 13 points the last 3 games. We're not beating IU, Wisconsin, or anyone the rest of the season with that kind of offense, period...
IU and Wisconsin are overrated. This is the year Purdue beats Bucky and IU will not be in contention for a Bowl. It will be a good rivalry game with Purdue winning.

Until Purdue scores points, they're not beating either, overrated or not...
Have a beer or your favorite drink. 3 of the next 7 will be won. Advise that you look at the IU score tomorrow. They will have the piss beat out of them. Overrated and beatable.
The one aspect of today’s game that I liked aside from DB3 and Doerue coming back, our TE’s Garrett Miller and Paul Piferi made some plays. We have some tight ends up and coming.

Have a beer or your favorite drink. 3 of the next 7 will be won. Look at the IU score tomorrow. They will have the piss beat out of them. Overrated and beatable.
The one aspect of today’s game that I liked aside from DB3 coming back, our TE’s Garrett Miller and Paul Piferi made some plays. We have some tight ends up and coming.
Again, tell me how we're gonna score more than 13 points and I might believe you...

Again, tell me how we're gonna score more than 13 points and I might believe you...

As well as the defense has held up and exceeded most expectations so far.....they're going to need to start forcing some turnovers.....I think it's only two (both interceptions) in five games.

Still thinking 6-6/7-5 isn't a bad bet- today was a lost opportunity

JMHO

Turn over the play calling to Brian Brohm in the booth 100%. CJB looking down LOS cannot see weaknesses from above where his brother is. If playcalling begins and ends with CJB looking at the sheet he is missing details he can and should correct while the game is happening. At seven figures, be the CEO, not the play caller. IMHO, his brother is fully capable of it and knows his QB tendencies as much if not more than CJB. Nearing mid-season, I would think MBOB would more than hint that to his head coach.
In the meantime, enjoy your beverage and Sunday. We have a week off, so enjoy the outdoors before we get to the 3 wins coming up.

Reactions: Poprudy
As well as the defense has held up and exceeded most expectations so far.....they're going to need to start forcing some turnovers.....I think it's only two (both interceptions) in five games.

Still thinking 6-6/7-5 isn't a bad bet- today was a lost opportunity

JMHO
Agree MN has some horses up upfront, but we missed an opportunity. I wrote WI off as another L in pre-season. This is the year to take them down. Their QB is making mistakes, not efficient and they are not hitting on all cylinders at all. MI drubbed them in Madison which is hard to do. I believe we can beat them this year.

Agree MN has some horses up upfront, but we missed an opportunity. I wrote WI off as another L in pre-season. This is the year to take them down. Their QB is making mistakes, not efficient and they are not hitting on all cylinders at all. MI drubbed them in Madison which is hard to do. I believe we can beat them this year.
Illinois sucks and it took a miracle comeback to beat them. You think this team's gonna beat Wisconsin because you believe they're overrated? I love your positivity. But good luck with that...

Illinois sucks and it took a miracle comeback to beat them. You think this team's gonna beat Wisconsin because you believe they're overrated? I love your positivity. But good luck with that...
Each week is a one week game. They are trained to amp up for that game. Nothing more and nothing less. Bad teams sneak up and beat good ones.

There was no sneaking up on Purdue. They score 13 points per game. And that's it...
My logic says Bowling Green State University beats MN 5 out of 100 times if lucky yet last week it happened. I don’t care how good Mac Schools are, they should not beat Big Ten, yet it happens year in and year out.

You are putting a lot of weight on 13 pts. I’m saying weather conditions caused a lower scoring affair.

Our scoring will improve as a process throughout the season while our defense keeps us in most of the games.

I’m confidant of 3 out of the next 7 games.

Last edited:
My logic says Bowling Green State University beats MN 5 out of 100 times if lucky yet last week it happened. I don’t care how good Mac Schools are, they should not beat Big Ten, yet it happens year in and year out.

You are putting a lot of weight on 13 pts. I’m saying weather conditions caused a lower scoring affair.

Our scoring will improve as a process throughout the season while our defense keeps us in most of the games.

I’m confidant of 3 out of the next 7 games.
What does Bowling Green have to do with this? Purdue can't score.

Here's how it's gonna play out based on how the offense is playing.

Iowa - L
Wisconsin - L
Nebraska - Toss up but likely a loss.
Mich St - L
Ohio St - L
Northwestern - W
IU - Toss up. But again likely a loss if Purdue can't score.

Iowa - L
Wisconsin - L
Mich St - L
Ohio St - L
Northwestern - W
Iowa-toss up due to Brohm/Iowa,likely L
NEB - W, frostless will be canned.
Mich St- Toss up L, but could be W.
Ohio State - L
Northwestern - W
IU - W
Three wins. Trust the process not the 13 points.

Iowa-toss up due to Brohm/Iowa,likely L
NEB - W, frostless will be canned.
Mich St- Toss up L, but could be W.
Ohio State - L
Northwestern - W
IU - W
Three wins. Trust the process not the 13 points.
LMAO.

Iowa is in no way a "toss up". Maryland got waxed today.

No way Much St is a "toss up" either.

The Nebraska game is at Nebraska.

I don't see 3 more Ws on the schedule. I'm not sure how to "trust the process". What process?

LMAO.

Iowa is in no way a "toss up". Maryland got waxed today.

No way Much St is a "toss up" either.

The Nebraska game is at Nebraska.

I don't see 3 more Ws on the schedule. I'm not sure how to "trust the process". What process?
Iowa has been better than Purdue every year we played them since Brohm has been hired, but we are 3-1 against them.

Nebraska will be talking about Frost and firing before we are playing them. Players and staff not focused gets beat. Purdue wins.

Mich St is at Purdue and inched by NW this year. They have talent, but haven’t put it all together. Could be a W.

Process as in a good defense holds court while offense gets back to scoring 30+ and they will. Do that and 3 W’s will happen.

Trust the process. Brohm had that in years 1 and 2 and can get there again.

Iowa has been better than Purdue every year we played them since Brohm has been hired, but we are 3-1 against them.

Nebraska will be talking about Frost and firing before we are playing them. Players and staff not focused gets beat. Purdue wins.

Mich St is at Purdue and inched by NW this year. They have talent, but haven’t put it all together. Could be a W.

Process as in a good defense holds court while offense gets back to scoring 30+ and they will. Do that and 3 W’s will happen.

Trust the process. Brohm had that in years 1 and 2 and can get there again.
If you take UCONN out of the mix, Purdue has averaged 17 points per game. So how are they gonna get back to 30 ppg when they were never really there to begin with?

I already answered. Brian Brohm should call plays and Jeff Brohm CEO the whole process.
2017 - 25.2 ppg
2018 - 30.5 ppg
2019 - 25.8 ppg
2020 - 27.2 ppg
2021 with UCONN - 23.6 ppg
2021 w/o UCONN - 17.2 ppg

There's only one season this team averaged 30 ppg. And they've continued to regress since then. I'm not convinced Brian Brohm is the answer, especially since we can't seem to figure out a QB, which is his primary job...

Iowa - L
Wisconsin - L
Mich St - L
Ohio St - L
Northwestern - W
I think Nebraska is rapidly turning the corner and will not lose to Purdue. The only win might be Northwestern which simply sucks swamp water this year. Tom Allen, as pathetic as he is as a coach, and as much as I'd hate to see it, will have to have a heart attack to lose to the Boilers. AOC is about the only bright spot right now.

I think Nebraska is rapidly turning the corner and will not lose to Purdue. The only win might be Northwestern which simply sucks swamp water this year. Tom Allen, as pathetic as he is as a coach, and as much as I'd hate to see it, will have to have a heart attack to lose to the Boilers. AOC is about the only bright spot right now.
AOC was awful today

You mean the same IU that got blanked 24-0 tonight? Great offense.
3 out of 7. I stand by it.

Five years later and we're sitting around trying to figure out a way to manage a 0.500 record playing in one of the shittiest divisions in the P5 so we can play in the Jerk-me-Off Bowl? All while employing a coach with one of the must lucrative contracts in all of college football. So sad.

Brohm contract

Reactions: SKYDOG
3-3 is far too late for a program that wants instant relevance while Frost went against the B1G Covid policies of practices and strength and conditioning off campus and hiding it. All other programs followed protocols, he did not. When season is thru, he will be as well.

Five years later and we're sitting around trying to figure out a way to manage a 0.500 record playing in one of the shittiest divisions in the P5 so we can play in the Jerk-me-Off Bowl? All while employing a coach with one of the must lucrative contracts in all of college football. So sad.
Brohm contract
Remove and skill players vanish quickly as well. Agree about O-Line. Last off season fixed the defense, this off season O-Line.
To me, he has been plugging holes in the dike since he got here. You have to admit. Defense has improved. Time to make adjustments in Offense.

Reactions: BBG
You were too optimistic then. 9 wins a year means you sometimes play like an 11 win team but when shit happens you end up at 9

Well the way we scored on Missouri, the way we beat OSU and Iowa those first two years, the way we won that Santa Clara bowl, the way he was recruiting, it sure looked like we had potential for a 9 win season in the next few years.

Well the way we scored on Missouri, the way we beat OSU and Iowa those first two years, the way we won that Santa Clara bowl, the way he was recruiting, it sure looked like we had potential for a 9 win season in the next few years.
I think that hope is long gone...

You said nine wins “per season.”

those were good matchups.. none of the teams you mentioned were able to get physical with his lines except Iowa.. who for some reason let’s brohm pass on them all day.

look at the Minnesota and Michigan state games following the Ohio state game. Those are bad matchups for brohm.

also, I now fully understand the hazell issue. Hazell didn’t leave bad seniors and even left some seniors for 18 who could play. The issue was that as he lost legitimacy recruiting fell off the edge.. so that so many players who should have been the next guy in in 2019, 2020 and even this year just weren’t there.

he has fixed the defense. He has to fix the offense this off-season.. like full makeover of the OL. I don’t know if callaway is a problem just like Williams obviously was but brohm has to figure it out.

about 3 days before the season started I suddenly felt great about the defense and posted here that I did.. and that the only thing that could implode a good season was the OL. I fear I may be right.

You said nine wins “per season.”

those were good matchups.. none of the teams you mentioned were able to get physical with his lines except Iowa.. who for some reason let’s brohm pass on them all day.

look at the Minnesota and Michigan state games following the Ohio state game. Those are bad matchups for brohm.

also, I now fully understand the hazell issue. Hazell didn’t leave bad seniors and even left some seniors for 18 who could play. The issue was that as he lost legitimacy recruiting fell off the edge.. so that so many players who should have been the next guy in in 2019, 2020 and even this year just weren’t there.

he has fixed the defense. He has to fix the offense this off-season.. like full makeover of the OL. I don’t know if callaway is a problem just like Williams obviously was but brohm has to figure it out.

about 3 days before the season started I suddenly felt great about the defense and posted here that I did.. and that the only thing that could implode a good season was the OL. I fear I may be right.
We will see if the defense has been fixed in the upcoming games. I hope it it has. Purdue will be playing teams with more offensive firepower. Concerned about the lack of a pass rush. Not getting a lot of pressure on the passers. Take away George and the others are not getting home.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Perhaps we took David Blough and Elijah Sindelar for granted because they were holdovers from the dark times. We haven’t seen steady QB play since their departures. What’s really crazy to me is that this staff couldn’t go out and get a QB aching for the chance to throw for 500 yards like Sindelar to a receiving corps of Moore, Bell, Wright, etc. Plummer, a D3 walk on and a guy who started at TE today were the only quarterbacks that were sold on the Brohm system? Something doesn’t add up.

Reactions: Poprudy
We will see if the defense has been fixed in the upcoming games. I hope it it has. Purdue will be playing teams with more offensive firepower. Concerned about the lack of a pass rush. Not getting a lot of pressure on the passers. Take away George and the others are not getting home.
It’s been fixed relative to last year by leaps and bounds. Before this season we had four guys opponents would probably scout as having already arrived as legit big ten starters. We now have guys coming off the bench like Lewis, Jefferson and whoever goes to the beach when trice returns that are better than starters from previous years.

getting scored on all day by Ohio state won’t make us bad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT