ADVERTISEMENT

Miller on Hammer & Rails - Character Assassination

Just read his article on the transfers and he does a nasty character assasination of Coach Painter. He misquotes, misunderstands, and in general, is petty and unsupportive of the coach and our program. I don’t get it. Why the nastiness?
Clicks are down and he’s trying to get clicks from IU fans? Only explanation.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I'm guessing Eastern may have been a player that treated him like a legitimate reporter so he's sticking up for him. On the other hand, Painter probably rolls his eyes and laughs every time he sees him..

Reactions: Purdue85
Just read his article on the transfers and he does a nasty character assasination of Coach Painter. He misquotes, misunderstands, and in general, is petty and unsupportive of the coach and our program. I don’t get it. Why the nastiness?

I've been pretty vocal about my dislike for their antics. I'll admit up front, I'm taking your assessment at face value, as I refuse to give them clicks after what I've seen from them.

From my perspective, it's par for the course. I don't get the sense there's a lot of respect from "leadership" at H&R.

There's just a fair amount of immaturity there.

Travis doesn’t get access like he did when he first started and it appears for good reason. Just lashing out I assume.

I mean, it’s essentially just a bunch of idiot Purdue fans, no different than many of us, that started up a blog. He’s not a journalist.

I mean, it’s essentially just a bunch of idiot Purdue fans, no different than many of us, that started up a blog. He’s not a journalist.

Not arguing or disagreeing, H&R is a part of SBNation, and has been for some time. They claim to be news, opinion and analysis (although, owned by Vox Media, which 'splains a lot). As a part of that larger site, it should be more than just trash-blogging. But, that's pretty much what that media "empire" was founded on.

Not arguing or disagreeing, H&R is a part of SBNation, and has been for some time. They claim to be news, opinion and analysis (although, owned by Vox Media, which 'splains a lot). As a part of that larger site, it should be more than just trash-blogging. But, that's pretty much what that media "empire" was founded on.

Yep, Vox says it all...

This guy needs to be denied any press passes. He is an utter disgrace and terrible ambassador of our University.

Reactions: JRowdy20

So using direct quotes from the interview is now misquoting.

Good to know.

I am one of Painter's biggest supporters, but I don't think it is the best look to rip a guy on the way out the door. It is no secret there has been friction behind the scenes with Nojel, but saying "We got better" because a guy who has been starting left a year early is not a good look. Calling Haarms "not a Boilermaker" on his way out the door, after he earned his degree and gave three and a half years to the program, is a bad look. We all know Painter and Ronnie Johnson didn't get along and Painter wasn't this nasty when he left.

If saying it is a bad look to call out guys like this as they leave is a "nasty character assassination" it tells me you didn't read it at all. But then again, for someone that doesn't read what we write you seem awfully concerned about it. Given the amount everyone "knows" here about our access, how the program views us, etc. I am sure you all provide a lot more information (and here is where you accuse me of stealing GBIs stuff when I haven't had KH board access in at least 10 years).

Still have the same access as before (season media pass for several years running), if not more. We'll do just fine.

Good to know.

I am one of Painter's biggest supporters, but I don't think it is the best look to rip a guy on the way out the door. It is no secret there has been friction behind the scenes with Nojel, but saying "We got better" because a guy who has been starting left a year early is not a good look. Calling Haarms "not a Boilermaker" on his way out the door, after he earned his degree and gave three and a half years to the program, is a bad look. We all know Painter and Ronnie Johnson didn't get along and Painter wasn't this nasty when he left.

If saying it is a bad look to call out guys like this as they leave is a "nasty character assassination" it tells me you didn't read it at all. But then again, for someone that doesn't read what we write you seem awfully concerned about it. Given the amount everyone "knows" here about our access, how the program views us, etc. I am sure you all provide a lot more information (and here is where you accuse me of stealing GBIs stuff when I haven't had KH board access in at least 10 years).

Still have the same access as before (season media pass for several years running), if not more. We'll do just fine.
If you are going to cry about comments made here, at least take a video of it and post it on Twitter...

You think of this a whole lot more than I certainly do.
sorry-you-re-not-a-winner.png

Credentials doesn’t equal accessibility. One may give you the illusion of having access while the other gives you much more than simply being able to enter an area.

Reactions: BBG

Good to know.

Everything else aside, if you can't understand the fact that Purdue did indeed get better with the departures, then, you are the one that doesn't "get it".

"Ripping a guy" as he goes out the door is not what happened...sharing the truth about a guy (or guys) as they slid out the side door hiding all the while as they did it is more accurate, and, he was kind in holding back from what he did not say about either.

Know what else is not a good look? Guys that are supposed to be leaders who have the keys to the program failing in all regards, because they did not do what they were supposed to do, failing to accept any responsibility and then quitting on top of it...I have no problem at all pointing out that neither is a Boilermaker in light of that, and, you should not either...nobody should.

You are entitled to your opinion certainly, whether it is garbage or not, but, you have a responsibility that goes along with your "privilege", and, you shirked it here...not surprising though given that you are so keen on supporting a couple of guys guilty of the same.

Good to know.

I have defended you in the past. I regret doing so now.

You mixed up what Coach Painter was saying about his team in general with comments specifically aimed at the two kids leaving. No, it’s not a bad look for the team, for Matt Painter, or Purdue. Read what every other professional sports person said after that interview. They all agree that Matt pulled no punches and was right on target. He made me proud he didn’t mince words.

You colored each statement with your personal dislike (evidently) of the coach, as you picked apart what was an excellent interview about this issue. I was alarmed when the IU board started using it to dis Purdue.

Poorly done. I highly recommend you remove your blog, re-listen to the interview, and think about what Coach Painter is saying. His advice applies to anyone in almost any competitive situation.

Painter said what he had to say in everything he said was true. It will be interesting to see if his mom gets on the Michigan board I'm sure she will and talk a lot of shit About how Matt painter hailed her son down. I'm gonna go ahead say it now he was garbage And I'm glad He left.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
"Ripping a guy" as he goes out the door is not what happened...sharing the truth about a guy (or guys) as they slid out the side door hiding all the while as they did it is more accurate, and, he was kind in holding back from what he did not say about either.
This is absolutely correct. Any fair-minded critique of Painter's remarks must be accompanied with the fact that Haarms and Eastern totally blindsided him. Painter was magnanimous indeed. He repeatedly said he "loves" and "likes" Haarms and Nojel. Would that I should ever be "ripped" like that!

Painter told Brian and others on a conference call that Haarms hadn't said a word to him about a transfer and we all heard how things went down with Eastern. Loyalty and respect go both ways. Painter did a lot for those two players, and the manner in which they left had to sting more than a little.

Eastern's decision to transfer to Michigan(!) especially vindicates Painter's "not a Boilermaker" remark in fact and the abstract. In keeping with the spirit of magnanimity, that was not a gentlemanly move.

Last edited:

Good to know.

You don’t think Painter said all these same exact things to them one on one?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
You all are starting to win me over, and I’m glad this didn’t get any real national media attention (by guys who are not as “pro coach” as Dakich and Fraschilla), but this is the worst argument, and I keep running into it on this board and elsewhere. I have no doubt Painter would say all these things and much worse to their faces. However, people expect a lot of things, i.e. criticism to remain behind closed doors and do not expect to be publicly humiliated by their coach. The other arguments.. that this will rally his team, that this will change a narrative that may have been out there about why these guys left.. those are much better reasons.

Reactions: NG.q15
You all are starting to win me over, and I’m glad this didn’t get any real national media attention (by guys who are not as “pro coach” as Dakich and Fraschilla), but this is the worst argument, and I keep running into it on this board and elsewhere. I have no doubt Painter would say all these things and much worse to their faces. However, people expect a lot of things, i.e. criticism to remain behind closed doors and do not expect to be publicly humiliated by their coach. The other arguments.. that this will rally his team, that this will change a narrative that may have been out there about why these guys left.. those are much better reasons.
I don’t think they left because they were insulted by Painter, do you? Can you imagine, a coach criticizing his players?.. Just wow.

... and no. Coach Painter did not publicly humiliate anyone. Better double check your comprehension skills.

Last edited:

You've alluded to things like this in other posts(criticism) and have been(in my opinion) completely wrong in that assessment each time. Painter did NOT "criticize" either guy, in fact commenting that he liked them multiple times. What Painter said was exactly what someone who cares very much about his kids and their decisions (and futures) in and out of athletics does say. He did, in fact mention also in the interview that he'd said these things to Eastern and Haarms. Specifically regarding the "probably got better" comment, it was part of the discussion which also included "if you don't want to be here, don't want to embrace competition" back and forth with he and Dakich and part of the interview mentioning kids making a change in scenery but not necessarily their own work and production. That's NOT criticizing someone, it's reality, for not just athletes but also for pretty much everyone in any endeavor. To claim this as publicly humiliating anyone is just crazy, and an extreme mis-reading of the interview and situation.

Good to know.

Claiming that Coach Painter "ripped" anyone is a huge misstatement of what was said, and moreover meant in that interview with Dakich. Okay, you used quoted statements, but certainly didn't give them in the context in which delivered. Regarding the "probably got better" comment, it also should include the "if you don't want to be here, don't want to embrace competition" comment that was part of a larger discussion about kids looking for greener pastures instead of fighting through their own challenges(my wording). Regarding the Haarms "not a Boilermaker" quote, it was within the discussion of the MANY guys who'd also had to fight through their challenges but did NOT leave, but instead faced them, fought/worked through them and finished what they had CHOSEN to start.

Claiming that Painter "ripped", "called out" or was "nasty" to or about Haarms or Eastern tells me that even if you did listen to the interview, you either completely missed what was actually said or chose to selectively misrepresent it for some reason. Hell, I've said similar and even some of the exact comments to kids, co-workers, employees and friends many, many times - all in the vein of being a boss, mentor, teacher and, yes, friend. If you can't see that this is the kind of person Painter is that's on you.

Reactions: VulvHa and Purdue85
Seriously. Like, could a certain poster start a Purdue blog site called “Wole’s Fables” and get a press pass?

and you guys criticize others for character assignation ? You are just as guilty! even more so. you harass fans who do nothing to you. Why don't you try growing up?

I believe he did. and because he did, they felt sad and left. I believe he told each player what he honestly thought of them and their performance, and that he was disappointed they didn't step up their game, or their efforts, and next year they'd probably seeing more bench time, and less playing time. he probably explained to them how much more time Carsen dedicated to improving his game. and Biggie was a workaholic improving his game. they got pissed and both left. I have no doubt he told them if they didn't like it here at Purdue, and playing his style of basketball, and playing a team style, there's the door. And they both opened it.

and while they may not have told him, I have to believe he knew it was a very big possibility they would both leave. You could say he was surprised they left. But you can't say he didn't influence their decision to leave, or maybe even encouraged it, by telling them the truth about their future or lack there of at Purdue this upcoming year.

And it was the same with Stephens and Martin and many others who left.. it would have been nice if they stayed. they would have provided great depth. but it was obvious neither player was going to become the star they hoped to be. So rather remaining with the team and providing spark off the bench, they both left in hopes of becoming a star somewhere else..

I don't blame Painter for any of the players leaving. I do believe he voiced his concerns to each of them. He was honest, and they just didn't like what they heard, and they packed their bags. Their NBA dreams were shattered. Looking back, many players have left Purdue for what they thought were greener pastures. Who actually succeeded in finding them other than Kyle Macy?

It would be long and rambling and never make a point that was coherent...….

again more character assassination from the usual subject. I noticed you had nothing else to say in this thread other than to cut me down. What does that say about yourself and your own posts ? basically, you're a band wagon bully. you see somebody else cut me down, and you just jump on the bandwagon.

When was the last time you posted an original thought?

I don’t know ... I read the article just this morning and most of it are Painter quotes from the interview with Dakich. At the end of the day, he had to say something as saying nothing leads to its own perception and reality. I personally didn’t like all Painter said but I understand why he said it .. everything today is about spin. At this stage, I only care about how this may effect recruiting. I’m ready to move on and see how this all plays out for Matt, for Nojel and most of all for our Boilers

I don’t think they left because they were insulted by Painter, do you? Can you imagine, a coach criticizing his players?.. Just wow.

... and no. Coach Painter did not publicly humiliate anyone. Better double check your comprehension skills.
No I am talking about how some of this could be perceived by those outside the program, including recruits. Vince Edwards says just wish them well and leave it at that. Sounds like he doesn’t think it’s necessarily a great look to air dirty laundry either. Says he’s in the middle on this one. Doesn’t “completely disagree” with his former coach. I think that’s where I am. Hell, I contributed to the Eastern headline jokes in another thread.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT