collegehoopsfan123

True Freshman
Oct 15, 2021
Coach,

Please recruit as many players as you can like

the 1994, 2000, 2010, and 2019 Purdue teams or

better on a yearly basis. This would get Purdue

(and you) to the Final Four and put Purdue in great

position to win a National Championship. Thank you.

Last edited:
Coach,

The 2000 and 2019 teams were definitely not better than the 2023 team.

I actually thought Haas’s senior season 2018 was our best team. Dominant center with four guys shooting over 40% from three point range. Along with two guys that could create their own shot.
Agree. Had haas not gotten hurt we werent losing when we did for sure

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I actually thought Haas’s senior season 2018 was our best team. Dominant center with four guys shooting over 40% from three point range. Along with two guys that could create their own shot.
Yes, Carsen Edwards and Vince Edwards were

Purdue's 2 players that could get their own

shot who played big minutes. That team was

never going to get past the Sweet 16 with or

without Haas. Texas Tech was way too athletic.

Last edited:
They both did way better (our last 2 Elite 8 appearances)

than 2023. I want these types of players filling Purdue's

future rosters. Past results show they can get us in

position to make our 3rd Final Four.
IMO it was roster makeup / maturity as much or more than it was the level of recruits. The older guys in the backcourt on the last three teams just didn't have the talent to get it done in the NCAAT and players like Jaden, Smith and Loyer didn't have the maturity needed as freshmen and a sophomore.

I agree with others that the 2018 team was one of Painters best squads. If Vince Edwards doesn't hurt his ankle that team is Big Ten Champs and the 1 seed in the Midwest. The Haas takedown is probably avoided and we still have a tough EE matchup versus Duke but avoid landing in the same bracket as Villanova.

Coach,

Lastly, please play Trey Kaufman-Renn and Caleb

Furst at least half the game together because both

have much to offer on both ends of the court.

Thank you.
Lol

We lost by 13 points to a very athletic Texas Tech

team. Carsen Edwards and Vince Edwards were

the only 2 players that got lots of minutes that

could compete athletically for Purdue. Had Haas

played, Texas Tech still wins.

We lost our offensive centerpiece when he went down and Haarms was nowhere near ready. And TT was really good, it would have been a close game with Haas, who TT had no answer for on their roster.

Cry all you want about "athleticism" but PJ was the only guy who wasn't a good athlete at his position. Haarms - athletic at the 5, Vince, Dakota, Carsen.

Northside100 has it right, our best guards have been too young to win in March, especially against all the 24+ years olds currently on rosters.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
We lost our offensive centerpiece when he went down and Haarms was nowhere near ready. And TT was really good, it would have been a close game with Haas, who TT had no answer for on their roster.

Cry all you want about "athleticism" but PJ was the only guy who wasn't a good athlete at his position. Haarms - athletic at the 5, Vince, Dakota, Carsen.

Northside100 has it right, our best guards have been too young to win in March, especially against all the 24+ years olds currently on rosters.
Dakota Mathias is not athletic. He hustles

and plays hard. 2022 had Hunter and

Stefanovich as seniors and Stefanovich

was not athletic either. He is 1-dimensional.

Enough athleticism and multi-dimensional

players are what hold Purdue back in March.

Got to get these players year after year.

Recruiting is the main problem.

Greg McQuay, Carl Landry, JaJuan Johnson,

and Matt Haarms, more of these types

of big men Purdue needs.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Old Gold n Black
Dakota Mathias is not athletic. He hustles

and plays hard. 2022 had Hunter and

Stefanovich as seniors and Stefanovich

was not athletic either. He is 1-dimensional.

Enough athleticism and multi-dimensional

players are what hold Purdue back in March.

Got to get these players year after year.

Recruiting is the main problem.

Greg McQuay, Carl Landry, JaJuan Johnson,

and Matt Haarms, more of these types

of big men Purdue needs.

Greg McQuay? He was fine, same with Matt Haarms. Both were fine players. However, I am going to go out on a limb here, and say (since you are targeting bigs I this comment) that Zach Edey, who won all of the NPOY awards available, was not the problem.

@collegehoopsfan123

First of all, most of us have figured out that you are a troll and not a Purdue fan. Some on this board still buy your schtick, but it's growing really old. Knock it off.

Second of all, what is your obsession with the final four? Teams don't get a trophy for being a bridesmaid. Isaiah Thomas (one of your guys) said it best: "There is only one winner. Everyone else are losers." True statement, and that includes any of the other three teams that make the final four. Wayyy too much hype to be a mere bridesmaid, IMO.

Third thing, what makes you think that getting "enough athletic and multi-dimensional players" is magically going to bring home a natty? There are a plethora of teams who fit the bill, but lets look at Arkansas as a prime example. Last year alone they had three 5-star and three 4-star freshman, and a host of fantastic transfers (capped by one of the most dynamic SG's in the country, Ricky Council) and where did it get them? A sweet sixteen. They were loaded in previous years as well, but couldn't get past the Elite 8.

Fourth of all, you have no idea what would have happened if Haas played against Texas Tech in 2018. The man was a beast, and his mere presence changed the game in so many ways. We didn't lose that game because of lack of "athleticism". We lost the game because Tech, a normally poor shooting team, uncharacteristically made a ton of jump shots and free throws...something they had not done all season long. Throw in some atrocious reffing (we made it to the line a grand total of three times the entire game!) and the show was over. No amount of "athleticism" would overcome that.

The moral of the story? Athleticism and multi-dimensional talent are only two components of a winning recipe. Team cohesion, selflessness, toughness, work ethic, shooting and passing skills, defensive prowess, good reffing and lots and lots of luck are all necessary to win the tournament. Anything -- yes anything -- can happen in a single elimination tournament, and most of the time the team that wins the tournament is not the best team in the country.

Greg McQuay? He was fine, same with Matt Haarms. Both were fine players. However, I am going to go out on a limb here, and say (since you are targeting bigs I this comment) that Zach Edey, who won all of the NPOY awards available, was not the problem.
McQuay and Haarms both nearly helped

Purdue to 2 Final Fours because both

could score down low, shoot a long

jumpshot, run the floor, and use their

athleticism to block shots and slash to

the basket. They were both athletic

enough
, multi-dimensional, thus

allowing the offense to be more

dynamic for all 5 guys on the court.

Teammates didn't have to settle for open,

stand still 3s only.

2023 was 1-dimensional basketball to its finest.

Reactions: Schnelk
McQuay and Haarms both nearly helped

Purdue to 2 Final Fours because both

could score down low, shoot a long

jumpshot, run the floor, and use their

athleticism to block shots and slash to

the basket. They were both athletic

enough
, multi-dimensional, thus

allowing the offense to be more

dynamic for all 5 guys on the court.

Teammates didn't have to settle for open,

stand still 3s only.

2023 was 1-dimensional basketball to its finest.

Ok, you start your team with Greg McQuay and I'll start mine with Zach Edey, let's see who wins more games!

So far, Greg McQuay is winning with

his 2000 Elite 8. Had Cornell played

better, Greg McQuay would have a

Final Four.

Sure and if Purdue doesn't shoot like 3-19 from 3 Purdue is in the Elite 8 in 22.

So winning 1 extra game in the NCAAT is more important than winning a B1G title, B1G tournament title, and 29 games. Something that 2000 team didn't do. But being on a team that made an EE makes one player somehow better than on a team that didn't go to the EE?

The 2018 team only had 2 guys that could

consistently get their own shot, had enough

athleticism, and played big minutes: the 2

Edwards boys. That team was never getting

past the Sweet 16 with or without Haas.

And Cornell and Cunningham in 2000 were

both seniors just like Hunter and Stefanovich

2022 were. Cornell and Cunningham were

both multi-dimensional offensive guards.

And I would take Greg McQuay at center

over Edey any day of the week.
That’s a hilarious take on the 2018 team backed by zero coherent thought or data.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Sure and if Purdue doesn't shoot like 3-19 from 3 Purdue is in the Elite 8 in 22.

So winning 1 extra game in the NCAAT is more important than winning a B1G title, B1G tournament title, and 29 games. Something that 2000 team didn't do. But being on a team that made an EE makes one player somehow better than on a team that didn't go to the EE?
March Madness is top priority to everything else.

1969 and 1980 are what Purdue is most remembered

for, then 1994, 2000, and 2019.

Reactions: bonefish1
The 2018 team only had 2 guys that could

consistently get their own shot, had enough

athleticism, and played big minutes: the 2

Edwards boys. That team was never getting

past the Sweet 16 with or without Haas.

And Cornell and Cunningham in 2000 were

both seniors just like Hunter and Stefanovich

2022 were. Cornell and Cunningham were

both multi-dimensional offensive guards.

And I would take Greg McQuay at center

over Edey any day of the week.
We have way too many 1 dimensional players. It's a fact. Braden Smith brings the ball up or who?? Loyer....1 dimensional, sasha was 1 dimensional, etc. I'm not against edey or haas or whatever big....people or fixated that that's why we lose in March. We can play that style qnd beat everyone but when there's 1 guy that can bring it up or 1 guy that can shoot....we suck. We need more complete guards/wings and it's so obvious.

We lost by 13 points to a very athletic Texas Tech

team. Carsen Edwards and Vince Edwards were

the only 2 players that got lots of minutes that

could compete athletically for Purdue. Had Haas

played, Texas Tech still wins.
So the following year we have a very non athletic team and almost make Final 4, beating several athletic teams along the way. So yes we could of beat TT

That's great. However, the 1979 team did

not make the Tournament while both

Michigan State and Iowa did because they

had a better record of the games played

between Iowa, Purdue, and Michigan State

during the regular season. 1980 we made

the Final Four while beating outright Big Ten

champ IU in the Sweet 16 with Mike Woodson

and Isiah Thomas. 1980 was way better to me.
You know that the rules were changed in 1980. That was the only reason the 1980 team made the tournament. Pretty frustrating team to watch ( 11-7 in Big Ten). The only reason to call them better was they played really well for a couple weeks. NCAA tournament is very entertaining, but a total crapshoot.
If this year's NCAA was played 5 more times, only UCONN would make the final 4 again.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123

Just like St.Peter’s or the 16 sees we lost to this year had no answer for Edey?
Playing through the low post doesn’t work in March.

@collegehoopsfan123

First of all, most of us have figured out that you are a troll and not a Purdue fan. Some on this board still buy your schtick, but it's growing really old. Knock it off.

Second of all, what is your obsession with the final four? Teams don't get a trophy for being a bridesmaid. Isaiah Thomas (one of your guys) said it best: "There is only one winner. Everyone else are losers." True statement, and that includes any of the other three teams that make the final four. Wayyy too much hype to be a mere bridesmaid, IMO.

Third thing, what makes you think that getting "enough athletic and multi-dimensional players" is magically going to bring home a natty? There are a plethora of teams who fit the bill, but lets look at Arkansas as a prime example. Last year alone they had three 5-star and three 4-star freshman, and a host of fantastic transfers (capped by one of the most dynamic SG's in the country, Ricky Council) and where did it get them? A sweet sixteen. They were loaded in previous years as well, but couldn't get past the Elite 8.

Fourth of all, you have no idea what would have happened if Haas played against Texas Tech in 2018. The man was a beast, and his mere presence changed the game in so many ways. We didn't lose that game because of lack of "athleticism". We lost the game because Tech, a normally poor shooting team, uncharacteristically made a ton of jump shots and free throws...something they had not done all season long. Throw in some atrocious reffing (we made it to the line a grand total of three times the entire game!) and the show was over. No amount of "athleticism" would overcome that.

The moral of the story? Athleticism and multi-dimensional talent are only two components of a winning recipe. Team cohesion, selflessness, toughness, work ethic, shooting and passing skills, defensive prowess, good reffing and lots and lots of luck are all necessary to win the tournament. Anything -- yes anything -- can happen in a single elimination tournament, and most of the time the team that wins the tournament is not the best team in the country.
Purdue has been unlucky for 40 years? It’s more likely we’ve had 2 coaches who are very similar and can’t win in March.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Just like St.Peter’s or the 16 sees we lost to this year had no answer for Edey?
Playing through the low post doesn’t work in March.
A lot of teams could use Edey in the middle and go all the way he had the inside covered and many teams had midrange and outside covered many teams would take that challenge

I get what you are saying, but that 1980

Purdue team made the Final Four beating

Indiana and Duke on the way. I am sticking

with the 1980 Purdue team because March

Madness is what you are remembered for

the most. That's the last time we have been

sadly,
You are talking about the type of remembering that non-Purdue people have. I don't really care about that. Purdue fans remember different teams and players for lots of different and interesting reasons. That is what I like reading about on here. NCAA success is a small part of that for many of us. One of the reasons I like the '79 team is I was a big Jerry Sichting fan.

That's why Purdue needs big guys that

can play inside and out, guard multiple

positions on defense, and run the floor.

I want to see Kaufman-Renn and Furst

play together big minutes next year.
I agree, but Painter is so committed to the low post offense, he doesn't allow his bigs to stretch the D. Haarms could have developed a 3 pt shot, and I actually think Edey could hit enough 3s to open up the offense. Supposedly Berg can shoot when he's not in a boot.
Furst has a nice stroke, (much more confident in his shooting than Morton).
TKR might have been "Painted" (put on weight, and just try to back you man down on the low block).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT