ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Painter and FF / NC

Miami hasn't been relevant in football since the 90s. Like I showed before, they have about the same attendance as Purdue for football and less than 1/2 that for home basketball. So, it's not like they have this rabid, gigantic fan base.
All you need is a couple wealthy alumni/donors and that can have a huge impact on NIL.
The Dir of Purdue's NIL program needs to be one hell of a salesman.
There's Purdue people out there with big bucks, they just need to be convinced to put some of that money towards NIL. (Drew Brees......would be high on my list of phone calls)
Agree but if I’m Drew I’d begin to think I’ve given millions and Purdue wants more? Even Drew’s well doesn’t have an unlimited supply. What I do think is Brees can be the face of Purdue and he could be the salesman to solicit alumni with the big bucks

What does attendance have to do with NIL boosters? And being relevant in the 90s is exactly what these boosters remember and want to be back to and they're willing to pay the big bucks to get them back. Not to mention they're basketball team just made the E8 and were up at half against the eventual champions
And Elite 8 run in a single year doesn't mean that much. Especially at a non-basketball school. Very, very few Miami Hurricanes boosters care about hoops. But, you don't need many, just a few very wealthy ones to care.

Agree but if I’m Drew I’d begin to think I’ve given millions and Purdue wants more? Even Drew’s well doesn’t have an unlimited supply. What I do think is Brees can be the face of Purdue and he could be the salesman to solicit alumni with the big bucks
I agree. The face of the NIL program for Purdue has to be someone people recognize, want to do business with and who has some skin in the game themselves.

Reactions: BSIT and TX4GB
Dan Lambert offered $500/month to the entire football team to promote his gym.

I don't think Purdue will be getting these big NIL deals, simply because there aren't that many boosters willing to throw a quarter of a million dollars at a singular athlete
If a decent percentage of John Purdue Club donations could be diverted to a collective, aka the Jack Perdue Club, then that might solve it.
I agree. The face of the NIL program for Purdue has to be someone people recognize, want to do business with and who has some skin in the game themselves.
Then have Cardinal on the hoops side.

Reactions: TX4GB
If a decent percentage of John Purdue Club donations could be diverted to a collective, aka the Jack Perdue Club, then that might solve it.

Then have Cardinal on the hoops side.
Not sure Cardinal carries enough influence to get big $ alumni to dig deep. Maybe a former athlete to go after former athletes but maybe someone from industry, who can talk numbers a little better to go after the big $ names no one knows about.

Next time you kind folks bust on some print shop spelling Indiana wrong, take note that there's a world renowned math university whose own media posts cannot add up what the current year is.

Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinkme
Next time you kind folks bust on some print shop spelling Indiana wrong, take note that there's a world renowned math university whose own media posts cannot add up what the current year is.

Lol
What's worse is an IU TROLL/WELCHER who can't add up enough funds to pay off a clear wager.

I think Painter will stay for as long as he can stand the craziness. Might be 3 years, maybe 10. I think we still have a shot at a FF before Painter leaves or retires. A NC is still an outside possibility if you're good enough to get to a FF. I still believe if we had beaten Virginia like we should have; we would have won the NC that year. I wish the NIL was different. Seems it should only be provided for actual services and not paid until services rendered. Up front pay out and guarantees should not be allowed. If you are part of a local TV commercial for example, you shouldn't get paid until the actual commercial is produced and aired. It shouldn't be pay for play. You should have to earn your NIL money by actually doing something of significance. For the integrity and preservation of college sports, the whole Pack situation with Miami should not be an acceptable path. The geniuses at the NCAA need to figure something out fast!

I think Painter will stay for as long as he can stand the craziness. Might be 3 years, maybe 10. I think we still have a shot at a FF before Painter leaves or retires. A NC is still an outside possibility if you're good enough to get to a FF. I still believe if we had beaten Virginia like we should have; we would have won the NC that year. I wish the NIL was different. Seems it should only be provided for actual services and not paid until services rendered. Up front pay out and guarantees should not be allowed. If you are part of a local TV commercial for example, you shouldn't get paid until the actual commercial is produced and aired. It shouldn't be pay for play. You should have to earn your NIL money by actually doing something of significance. For the integrity and preservation of college sports, the whole Pack situation with Miami should not be an acceptable path. The geniuses at the NCAA need to figure something out fast!
I kind of like the idea of every D1 school having the same amount of NIL money to work with, or some sort of salary cap they can't go over.
Let's say it's $100K. Miami can give all $100k to Pack or spread it out among several players. But, Miami would have the same amount of NIL as say...Northwestern.
The problem with this is the question of 'market value' and can athletes earn private endorsements outside the NIL, which basically puts us back in the situation we're in now.

I kind of like the idea of every D1 school having the same amount of NIL money to work with, or some sort of salary cap they can't go over.
Let's say it's $100K. Miami can give all $100k to Pack or spread it out among several players. But, Miami would have the same amount of NIL as say...Northwestern.
The problem with this is the question of 'market value' and can athletes earn private endorsements outside the NIL, which basically puts us back in the situation we're in now.
Schools don’t give NIL money. That idea would be overturned in court immediately.

That Texas Tech team was really good, I think we beat that Auburn team for sure but not sure about the NC game.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Purdue 1969 and 1980 Final Fours are 11 years apart, pretty close to a 10-year period. That is 1 or 2 FFs a decade. It should be the realistic expectation for Purdue basketball since it already happened once before and being in a Power 5 conference, too.

This was Purdue reality during those times, no reason "this reality" could not have continued up until the present moment and into the future as well.

This is a realistic expectation for Purdue men's basketball. And if its not, then change is needed.

Go Boilers!
I believe that the change would have to be in the people who have those high expectations. They finally have an opportunity to materially - and legally - help make it happen.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Why? Help me understand.
It's the best avenue to getting large NIL money in the hands of NCAA players. That's been proven over the last year. That is unless we have a 20+ billion dollar donor willing to throw crazy amounts of money at players.

11 out of the 14 Big Ten schools now have collectives. More than half have multiple.

It's the best avenue to getting large NIL money in the hands of NCAA players. That's been proven over the last year. That is unless we have a 20+ billion dollar donor willing to throw crazy amounts of money at players.

11 out of the 14 Big Ten schools now have collectives. More than half have multiple.
Did you consider organizing one?

I used to think that, now with NIL and portal, I don't know.
I wonder about that as well. It’s got to be some thing that weighs on him. But certainly there will be some rules put into place soon.. probably exonerating everybody that has cheated the system to this point and then ‘stricter guidelines?’

Call we cynical, but CMP isn't getting out of coaching anytime soon. The paychecks are too big and he is still young (51). What else is he going to do? He's a basketball coach. Jay Wright is 60. Big difference in those 9 years.

I don't think NIL is going to chase many coaches out of the profession. Let's be completely honest here, the college game has been less than clean for a very long time. These guys didn't "retire" over any of that. NIL won't be any different. They just make too much money to walk away when they are still young.

Call we cynical, but CMP isn't getting out of coaching anytime soon. The paychecks are too big and he is still young (51). What else is he going to do? He's a basketball coach. Jay Wright is 60. Big difference in those 9 years.

I don't think NIL is going to chase many coaches out of the profession. Let's be completely honest here, the college game has been less than clean for a very long time. These guys didn't "retire" over any of that. NIL won't be any different. They just make too much money to walk away when they are still young.
I don’t think CMP has to do anything if he were to choose to leave Purdue.

The media loves him though, so he would get a job as an analyst very easily.

That said, he isn’t going anywhere.

It is my understanding that the University can't do that.
The university can’t give out NIL dollar. They can help organize a collective to be formed. In this article from mid April, Ken Halpin said they are working on one. Not sure how it could possibly take so long to go live.

I haven’t seen much activity on the NIL since May 1. Maybe died off with the NCAA posturing?

I haven’t seen much activity on the NIL since May 1. Maybe died off with the NCAA posturing?
There hasn’t been much action overall. Everyone is waiting for the NBA early entrants to decide if they are staying in or not. When players start pulling out it will pick up.

So, does Painter take Purdue to the FF at some point? NC at some point?

If you look at the Elite 8 history under Keady and Painter,

Keady got his 1st one in his 14th season. Painter got his 1st one in his 14th season.

Keady got his second in his 20th season. Painter's 20th season would be 2025.

Here is to hoping 2025 (or sooner) is a FF for Painter and Purdue. Definitely doable.

I will say if Painter does not take Purdue to the FF in the next 5-6 years, he probably never will.

I still believe Purdue should make 1 or 2 FFs a decade. That is both realistic and doable.

Go Boilers!

So, does Painter take Purdue to the FF at some point? NC at some point?

If you look at the Elite 8 history under Keady and Painter,

Keady got his 1st one in his 14th season. Painter got his 1st one in his 14th season.

Keady got his second in his 20th season. Painter's 20th season would be 2025.

Here is to hoping 2025 (or sooner) is a FF for Painter and Purdue. Definitely doable.

I will say if Painter does not take Purdue to the FF in the next 5-6 years, he probably never will.

I still believe Purdue should make 1 or 2 FFs a decade. That is both realistic and doable.

Go Boilers!
Just because Painter doesn't make a FF on a set schedule doesn't mean he never will. The problem is the college game is ever changing so trying to use a magic 8 ball to determine whether Painter makes a FF or not.

There is only time that statement really becomes true and that is when Painter retires. If he hasn't done it by then, it is safe to say he never will get one. Up until that point, nothing is a sure thing.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
I say Coach Painter has a very good chance of taking Purdue to the FF before his career is done.

As far as wining a NC, anything can happen, but I will say no. Hope I am wrong.

What do other Purdue fans think? How much longer will he coach at Purdue?

Look forward to sincere answers. Go Boilers!
Coach Painter is young by coaching standards, so as long as Purdue keeps him and his assistants fat and happy, he'll be here awhile. Aside from the BBoS, that seems to drop regularly, the NIL is going to be our biggest hurdle to a NC. Even with that, a top player of an opposing team could have their worst game, and be looking towards the NBA (see Ivey), and we could get lucky and slip by.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT