ADVERTISEMENT

Madison Layden opts out of WNIT

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Senior guard Madison Layden has opted out of playing in the WNIT, this will not play in Purdue’s game against Butler on Monday, a source told Boiler Upload.

Expect Swanson to start in her place.

Will have more shortly.

No problem with this…at 13-18 Purdue shouldn’t be in a tourney, since they are though it should be all about younger players getting time. This free’s up minutes, good luck to Madison in her upcoming marriage and career!

Don't have a problem with it. From a casual observer It appeared she hasn't been all into this for a couple years now. But maybe there are some unknown to me reasons behind this. No matter, I wish all the testing we upcoming marriage and the rest of her life

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Don't have a problem with it. From a casual observer It appeared she hasn't been all into this for a couple years now. But maybe there are some unknown to me reasons behind this. No matter, I wish all the testing we upcoming marriage and the rest of her life

The report that McKenna was brought into the program in large part to help with Madison's mental health hints at a lot of the issues we have noticed the last two years IMO.

I would think that the decision was made based on simply not being physically able nor wanting to play more games in a pointless tournament. She is done. It’s obvious that she has been labored physically for a while. She probably needs rest. I don’t think I’d read anything more into it.

Its annoying in the moment. Leaving your team ahead of a tournament. But in a few months/a year we will be able to look back at her decent career. Last three years could have been a lot worse without her.

My question is. Does that decision impact Mckena?

Reactions: rgarlitz
This is exactly what I would expect from her. Listen to her Senior Q & A and she hasn’t been happy for a while. She needs rest? Tell me what college player in the Big Ten doesn’t need rest right now. It’s part of being on a team. Sticking together. Sacrificing. Is she that mentally unwell she cannot be present for her team? What a selfish move. She has struggled outside of her freshmen year and sadly this is what people will remember.
I'm not a fan of it. But if she is "mentally unwell" I dont think anyone should judge that. Get yourself right.

My two cents.

Having an opinion that you don’t like doesn’t mean I need to get myself right. It means you disagree. I didn’t ask for your approval of MY opinion. Are you saying this to everyone else on here who discusses a player or their performances? Don’t think so, so why come at me? Maybe you’re connected to Madison. If you are, let her know her decision speaks volumes. There are thousands of kids who would do anything to play at this level. Anything! But she clearly doesn’t understand what it means to be a team. If “getting myself right” means I have to coddle her like you do, then no thanks. Mental
Health isn’t a hands off subject, especially when SHE discussed it. Give me a break. Addition by subtraction. Boiler Up!
I think you are WAY over-reacting here, I read it as the get yourself right comment was directed towards those who have a mental health issue they need to deal with, not at you

This is exactly what I would expect from her. Listen to her Senior Q & A and she hasn’t been happy for a while. She needs rest? Tell me what college player in the Big Ten doesn’t need rest right now. It’s part of being on a team. Sticking together. Sacrificing. Is she that mentally unwell she cannot be present for her team? What a selfish move. She has struggled outside of her freshmen year and sadly this is what people will remember.
Zero class.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Dah Day
Definitely was not a shot at you Hoops. I was referring to anyone who has any issues with mental health who need time/space to overcome their challenges. It was poor grammar on my part.

I think this team will be better in the future without Madison. She was a good piece who had some great flashes but never lived up to her potential.

I think you are WAY over-reacting here, I read it as the get yourself right comment was directed towards those who have a mental health issue they need to deal with, not at
Definitely was not a shot at you Hoops. I was referring to anyone who has any issues with mental health who need time/space to overcome their challenges. It was poor grammar on my part.

I think this team will be better in the future without Madison. She was a good piece who had some great flashes but never lived up to her potential.
I attempted to delete it because I could see I misread it, after Michael shared his thoughts. Sorry about that.

Zero class.
We agree on something! Zero class in her decision. Selfish move. Remain and cheer on your teammates at least. To be completely removed from the program, per the team’s website, indicates to me this was NOT a mutual decision. Zero class is right. BUT…. We are a much healthier team and culture without her indifference and self absorption with her stat line. Boiler Up!

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
We agree on something! Zero class in her decision. Selfish move. Remain and cheer on your teammates at least. To be completely removed from the program, per the team’s website, indicates to me this was NOT a mutual decision. Zero class is right. BUT…. We are a much healthier team and culture without her indifference and self absorption with her stat line. Boiler Up!
More than basketball, reading between the lines, sounds more like a clash with either the Coach or players.

Reactions: HoopDad317
We agree on nothing. Grown men gossiping about the mental health of a young lady on a message board is bullshit.

On its head - this doesn’t really make any sense - if it was “bad” departure. Why would McKenna stay and play? Especially if she’s apparently already planning on entering the transfer portal.

It makes no sense for her to play in this tournament. A tournament that may last for the next week or 10 days. If it was a messy break - I would think Madison’s sister, being her sister, would leave in solidarity with her.

I personally think it’s an amicable good bye, kinda weird they’d remove her profile on the website tho.

Weird situation all the way around. But we need to move past it, it’s not that big of a deal and gives Swanson much needed minutes.

We agree on nothing. Grown men gossiping about the mental health of a young lady on a message board is bullshit.
Well, after researching you a little bit from your social media, I recant. I don’t want to agree on anything with you. Especially with your degradation of young women via your social media. Kind of concerning the images you have on your accounts. Maybe clean that up a bit son before you come at me for voicing an opinion on a public matter that a player herself has discussed and acknowledged. It’s funny you call it gossiping but if you offer an opinion or inference, it’s ok. Very weird obsession you have with making sure no one is critical about this particular player. That’s odd. I’ll go ahead and put you back on mute.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Let’s be honest, there’s no reason for Madison to play in these games, it’s better off to give the returners her minutes, it’s pretty much a nothing tournament. However, it’s useful for returning players.

On its head - this doesn’t really make any sense - if it was “bad” departure. Why would McKenna stay and play? Especially if she’s apparently already planning on entering the transfer portal.

It makes no sense for her to play in this tournament. A tournament that may last for the next week or 10 days. If it was a messy break - I would think Madison’s sister, being her sister, would leave in solidarity with her.

I personally think it’s an amicable good bye, kinda weird they’d remove her profile on the website tho.

Weird situation all the way around. But we need to move past it, it’s not that big of a deal and gives Swanson much needed minutes.
There’s no reason to take her off the website, wonder who did that and why? She doesn’t deserve that. It’s a nothing tournament for girls like her, seeing that makes me think there’s more to the story, if McKenna leaves there definitely is something. I can see McKenna sticking around though because her mom is a Coach and told her to finish the season, different with Madison, she’s done with playing.

Well, after researching you a little bit from your social media, I recant. I don’t want to agree on anything with you. Especially with your degradation of young women via your social media. Kind of concerning the images you have on your accounts. Maybe clean that up a bit son before you come at me for voicing an opinion on a public matter that a player herself has discussed and acknowledged. It’s funny you call it gossiping but if you offer an opinion or inference, it’s ok. Very weird obsession you have with making sure no one is critical about this particular player. That’s odd. I’ll go ahead and put you back on mute.
Lol. You are a weird dude. Kind of creepy.

• Wow
Reactions: clankhan
There’s no reason to take her off the website, wonder who did that and why? She doesn’t deserve that. It’s a nothing tournament for girls like her, seeing that makes me think there’s more to the story, if McKenna leaves there definitely is something. I can see McKenna sticking around though because her mom is a Coach and told her to finish the season, different with Madison, she’s done with playing.
They are being consistent. I think they did the same thing last year when Lilly Stoddard left early.

Fair point. But Madison was a 4 yr. starter and will get a degree from Purdue. Lilly was here for a cup of coffee. I know she hasnt been the best leader but its a little disrespectful imo.
To me its a bad look and I suspect it will cause recruiting concerns down the road on how Purdue treats their players that might struggle in some way.

They are being consistent. I think they did the same thing last year when Lilly Stoddard left early.
Correct, Lilly left when the Conference tourney was going on though Russ, you have to admit this is petty, teams 13-18 don’t deserve to play postseason, Madison shouldn’t have been scrubbed, bad look in my opinion. I actually think it’s better for the young players, it frees up minutes.

To me its a bad look and I suspect it will cause recruiting concerns down the road on how Purdue treats their players that might struggle in some way.
Agreed, no reason for that, Dub’s comment on this tells me all I need to know, more to this than Madison just skipping out, I’ve heard things from last year that I’ll keep to myself but maybe there’s something to it.

Reactions: MichaelRR
It’s sort of BS what they did, needs to be corrected.
I’m confused. How is quitting your team, Purdue’s fault? Now she’s a victim? Please. She chose to walk away, indicating she didn’t want to be on the team. Simple, Purdue removed her. This appears to be standard protocol for schools to do. If you quit, you’re removed from the roster. Because you quit. Doesn’t matter if it’s one game in or one game remaining. That doesn’t hurt recruitment though. That shows they are honoring her decision to quit. I had a feeling Komara coming in would help develop an accountability piece that may have been missing in our program. The standard for player conduct has been raised with her on staff. Which is necessary. We move on with a better and healthier culture I imagine. I’m excited to be in Hinkle tonight and cheer on the players who want to be in a Purdue uniform. Much respect for them. They are choosing to remain together and represent Purdue. Future is bright with MA, Swanson, A Reynolds, Mckenna (if she stays), Poole, Jones etc.

I’m confused. How is quitting your team, Purdue’s fault? Now she’s a victim? Please. She chose to walk away, indicating she didn’t want to be on the team. Simple, Purdue removed her. This appears to be standard protocol for schools to do. If you quit, you’re removed from the roster. Because you quit. Doesn’t matter if it’s one game in or one game remaining. That doesn’t hurt recruitment though. That shows they are honoring her decision to quit. I had a feeling Komara coming in would help develop an accountability piece that may have been missing in our program. The standard for player conduct has been raised with her on staff. Which is necessary. We move on with a better and healthier culture I imagine. I’m excited to be in Hinkle tonight and cheer on the players who want to be in a Purdue uniform. Much respect for them. They are choosing to remain together and represent Purdue. Future is bright with MA, Swanson, A Reynolds, Mckenna (if she stays), Poole, Jones etc.
She didn’t quit…she elected not to play in a third tier women’s tournament that means nothing. She played out the season, I’m sorry a 13-18 team doesn’t belong in a post season tournament. This is post season, it’s not even a second tier tournament. If it was during the conference tourney or if they had a winning record and were in the second tier tourney I’d agree, this is much different. Scrubbing a 1000 point scorer who will graduate from Purdue is wrong and a cheap shot.

Reactions: MichaelRR

Also, did Purdue’s football team scrub off all the football players that didn’t elect to play in a bowl game two years ago? I know this, those games were televised and meant much more than tonight’s game that will probably draw 500 people.

There are good points both ways here. I personally feel it was un-necessary to pull her down off the roster over this. She finished her four years, she chose not to play in a really lame post season tournament for health reasons, and was just ready to end her career. For a coach and program that preaches "we are family", that is not how you treat family, it showed a serious lack of empathy and compassion. Put a note on her profile if you really feel compelled that Madison ended her career after the BTT.

At the same point in time, the roster is who is on the team to play the last game or two. But it seems heartless to stick to being that much of sticklers about it. While I see the reasoning, I don't agree with it. It would have done no harm to leave her up there. As it is, now when anyone looks back at the roster in the archives in a year or more, Madison won't show up as being on the team her senior year.

Reactions: tomgloe
There are good points both ways here. I personally feel it was un-necessary to pull her down off the roster over this. She finished her four years, she chose not to play in a really lame post season tournament for health reasons, and was just ready to end her career. For a coach and program that preaches "we are family", that is not how you treat family, it showed a serious lack of empathy and compassion. Put a note on her profile if you really feel compelled that Madison ended her career after the BTT.

At the same point in time, the roster is who is on the team to play the last game or two. But it seems heartless to stick to being that much of sticklers about it. While I see the reasoning, I don't agree with it. It would have done no harm to leave her up there. As it is, now when anyone looks back at the roster in the archives in a year or more, Madison won't show up as being on the team her senior year.
That's something I hadn't thought about. Stoddard isn't on the roster for Purdue's official site(although she's in the team picture).

I hope they put Madison back on the roster after the wnit. I don't mind her not playing in this tournament, she's ready to move on, wedding coming up. Gives the younger players more PT.

What an absolute making of a crisis out of somethoing that is a nothing Are you implying that Geralds told her she can't play in the game and that for spite she is removing her name from the team roster. Pure BS

It appears Madison fought thru a lot just to play and now she is ready to get on with her life... Nothing but the best to her I would presume that Purdue was very accomadating as she was going thru her problems of which I hope that none of you or your family ever have to go thru. It is pure hell till you come out of it.

No problem with this…at 13-18 Purdue shouldn’t be in a tourney, since they are though it should be all about younger players getting time. This free’s up minutes, good luck to Madison in her upcoming marriage and career!
Wasn't aware of her getting married. C'mon Jeff lay out that money! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT