ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Reaction: Purdue WBB beats Southern

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022

A few quick thoughts on today’s win for Purdue…

Madison Layden:

That was the type of performance I think everyone expected from Layden after her freshman campaign in West Lafayette. 21 points on 5-6 shooting and was the reason Purdue held the lead at half time. Purdue is going to need those games from someone (Layden, Smith, Ellis, etc) on a nightly basis when Big Ten play starts.

Shooting woes:

Another rough shooting night for Purdue with the exception of the aforementioned Layden. Abbey Ellis hasn’t found her groove just yet, but her track record suggests that will change at some point.

Similar to the first point, Purdue’s success will depend on who steps up shooting from the perimeter.

Second half surge:

While the first half will present a lot of questions, and deservedly so, this team showed that it can battle back after a rough start to level the ship.

Katie Gearlds said after the loss to UCLA that the team looked out of it when they fell on hard times. Granted it was against a lesser opponent tonight, but I didn’t see signs of that.

Lot to work on if you’re Purdue, but getting a win in front of the ‘99 Championship team was big.

Obviously big story with Jayla Smith not playing in seemingly a coaches decision. Will refrain from touching on that until I know more about the situation.

Reactions: MichaelRR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT