ADVERTISEMENT

Madison Layden opts out of WNIT

What an absolute making of a crisis out of somethoing that is a nothing Are you implying that Geralds told her she can't play in the game and that for spite she is removing her name from the team roster. Pure BS

It appears Madison fought thru a lot just to play and now she is ready to get on with her life... Nothing but the best to her I would presume that Purdue was very accomadating as she was going thru her problems of which I hope that none of you or your family ever have to go thru. It is pure hell till you come out of it.
I have no idea the issues she has been dealing with. I've known Jeff and Kathie for many years and actually recall Madison shooting at half time in games Kathie coached in elementary. I caught them and went over to sit beside them for a few in the intrasquad game this year. Hate hearing this

Reactions: Russ Ford
What an absolute making of a crisis out of somethoing that is a nothing Are you implying that Geralds told her she can't play in the game and that for spite she is removing her name from the team roster. Pure BS

It appears Madison fought thru a lot just to play and now she is ready to get on with her life... Nothing but the best to her I would presume that Purdue was very accomadating as she was going thru her problems of which I hope that none of you or your family ever have to go thru. It is pure hell till you come out of it.
Speaking of Doc’s, hope DocRon is ok, haven’t heard from him in a few weeks at least.

She didn’t quit…she elected not to play in a third tier women’s tournament that means nothing. She played out the season, I’m sorry a 13-18 team doesn’t belong in a post season tournament. This is post season, it’s not even a second tier tournament. If it was during the conference tourney or if they had a winning record and were in the second tier tourney I’d agree, this is much different. Scrubbing a 1000 point scorer who will graduate from Purdue is wrong and a cheap shot.
“Quit. Elected to. Declined.” Regardless of adjectives used, she made a choice and her program responded. That’s life. I understand your point but if we start justifying kids walking away from a game based on their W/L record, whether a team is Con/NC, whether they find value in playing one last game, then we need to do better with recruitment, as a whole. She walked out on her team. That’s something people will remember her for. That’s not on Purdue. Thats on her, or any athlete that decides to quit. Don’t you think every other player and coach would like to be dancing? Of course! But they accept the opportunity and are grateful to play one last game. Everyone except Madison. That’s on her, not our program. Respect your position, but choices have consequences . For everyone. No one player is above that. Hope the girls can be so unified tonight that they shred Butler. Butler has a lot of internal issues right now. Sometimes things like this cause a greater bond to be formed. Boiler Up!

Senior guard Madison Layden has opted out of playing in the WNIT, this will not play in Purdue’s game against Butler on Monday, a source told Boiler Upload.

Expect Swanson to start in her place.

Will have more shortly.
Glad to hear Swanson will be given a shot. Works hard and isn’t afraid to shoot and contribute. She will be one to watch moving forward.

“Quit. Elected to. Declined.” Regardless of adjectives used, she made a choice and her program responded. That’s life. I understand your point but if we start justifying kids walking away from a game based on their W/L record, whether a team is Con/NC, whether they find value in playing one last game, then we need to do better with recruitment, as a whole. She walked out on her team. That’s something people will remember her for. That’s not on Purdue. Thats on her, or any athlete that decides to quit. Don’t you think every other player and coach would like to be dancing? Of course! But they accept the opportunity and are grateful to play one last game. Everyone except Madison. That’s on her, not our program. Respect your position, but choices have consequences . For everyone. No one player is above that. Hope the girls can be so unified tonight that they shred Butler. Butler has a lot of internal issues right now. Sometimes things like this cause a greater bond to be formed. Boiler Up!
You are once again wrong and blinded by your own agenda. Following is what Gearlds had to say about it:

Gearlds spoke with the four seniors near the end of the season outlining possible postseason scenarios. The NCAA tournament was a long shot unless the Boilermakers won the conference tournament, leaving either the WBIT or WNIT as choices.

“It was more of this is where we are,” Gearlds said. “Take your time, think about it and there’s no pressure from us about what you want to do.”

You are once again wrong and blinded by your own agenda. Following is what Gearlds had to say about it:

Gearlds spoke with the four seniors near the end of the season outlining possible postseason scenarios. The NCAA tournament was a long shot unless the Boilermakers won the conference tournament, leaving either the WBIT or WNIT as choices.

“It was more of this is where we are,” Gearlds said. “Take your time, think about it and there’s no pressure from us about what you want to do.”

After reading that CKG gave all the seniors the option and learning why she was off the roster (still dumb imho) I dont think it was as acrimonious as we made it out to be.

Opinions aren’t about being right or wrong Mike. I could say the same thing about you and everyone else. It’s a blog. My opinion doesn’t need to be popular. I can understand different points of view even if different than mine. I could say many are wrong once again and blinded by their agendas.
I had already seen her discussion with players. Doesn’t change my opinion. Call me old school. You don’t walk away from your team. I appreciate being able to disagree freely. Everyone has a different and sometimes enlightening take on something. Just like the other day when I interpreted a post incorrectly as you said. The poster apologized and I did too because I took it a different way. Thats what is nice about being part of adult conversations. Thanks.

Opinions aren’t about being right or wrong Mike. I could say the same thing about you and everyone else. It’s a blog. My opinion doesn’t need to be popular. I can understand different points of view even if different than mine. I could say many are wrong once again and blinded by their agendas.
I had already seen her discussion with players. Doesn’t change my opinion. Call me old school. You don’t walk away from your team. I appreciate being able to disagree freely. Everyone has a different and sometimes enlightening take on something. Just like the other day when I interpreted a post incorrectly as you said. The poster apologized and I did too because I took it a different way. Thats what is nice about being part of adult conversations. Thanks.
I understand your take, I get it. My take is that it’s better in the long run that she’s not here, it’s a third tier tourney, let those returning next year get some minutes.

I’m a bit confused as to who made the decision Purdue or the player?

I’ve seen many players who were injured or rehabbing and also on suspension still travel with the team. They didn’t play, but they were there to root on the team in their street clothes. And the team still played for their travel etc.

It’s kind of hard for me to believe why she wouldn’t want or be able to attend a game at Indy.

I’m a bit confused as to who made the decision Purdue or the player?

I’ve seen many players who were injured or rehabbing and also on suspension still travel with the team. They didn’t play, but they were there to root on the team in their street clothes. And the team still played for their travel etc.

It’s kind of hard for me to believe why she wouldn’t want or be able to attend a game at Indy.
From Coach Gearld's comments, Caitlyn was in the stands, so that intimates she had to travel and pay for her admission.

From Coach Gearld's comments, Caitlyn was in the stands, so that intimates she had to travel and pay for her admission.
I was able to take the grandson to the game and got a chance to say hello to the Harpers. They were in a box behind the team so she could put her leg up. I think she said she is less than two weeks out from surgery.

dont players normally get a ticket allotment for games for family?

I was able to take the grandson to the game and got a chance to say hello to the Harpers. They were in a box behind the team so she could put her leg up. I think she said she is less than two weeks out from surgery.

I wonder if that had anything to do with her not traveling with the team, the fact that she wouldn't of had room to keep her leg upright..

Amiyah/Mckenna were injured this year but traveled with the team so I'm curious of if it's just a matter of not physically being able to ride with the team, therefore you have to pay your own way.

Reactions: HoopDad317
I wonder if that had anything to do with her not traveling with the team, the fact that she wouldn't of had room to keep her leg upright..

Amiyah/Mckenna were injured this year but traveled with the team so I'm curious of if it's just a matter of not physically being able to ride with the team, therefore you have to pay your own way.
I believe it’s more about having the space to have her leg elevated as opposed to Purdue not allowing her to be on the bench.

Her parents were in town to help with aftercare of her surgery and to make the game. There is an obvious risk to have her on the bench after surgery as she cannot prop her leg up or protect it. She wouldn’t have to purchase anything. These athletes are given a ticket allotment for friends and family. Purdue paid for her surgery and they will her aftercare. She wouldn’t have had to pay a dime for attending the game.One of the many benefits of being in the Big Ten! Even though she couldn’t play in the NIT, she’s still on the roster, so where she sat doesn’t have anything to do with any negative issue with the team. Believe they likely just wanted to protect her body from being on the bench. She seemed appreciative of those of us who went over to say hello. Cordial and polite young lady.

Last edited:
I believe it’s more about having the space to have her leg elevated as opposed to Purdue not allowing her to be on the bench.
Yeah I had no problem with her being somewhere more comfortable and out of potential harm(player crashing into her). I was just curious if she actually had to pay her own way to attend the game since she couldn't physically ride with the team. It's not a big issue either way for me, I was just curious what protocol is for situations like that.

So what? Do you want it to remain on it for perpetuity? Error or not it is not a big deal
Yes, actually, same as all other players that finished their careers at Purdue when you go back through the old rosters

Madison is still not on the roster again.
Yes, actually, same as all other players that finished their careers at Purdue when you go back through the old rosters
I know you don’t care for my stance, and I respect that. But the roster issue is because she didn’t finish her career. Despite what Dub said, teams don’t change their rosters based on games or tournaments they are in. Madison is not on the roster because she quit, walked away, opted out, whatever we all define it to be. But we all don’t matter. 🤣 CKG does and it’s obvious to me that the departure was anything but amicable. And that’s a shame. Just think about it: If what Dub said was true, (that she was taken off because she wasn’t playing in the NIT), then why weren’t Harper Sr., Reynolds Jr. & Layden Jr. also taken off, since they weren’t playing in it either? Colleges never post a separate roster for NIT/postseason tournaments. They’ve never done this. It’s because of how she left. It’s very clear that it was not a mutual, friendly departure. It’s also very obvious that not one of Madison’s teammates have come to her defense for quitting. She won’t be put back on this year’s roster because she didn’t finish the season. She could have at least showed up and that may have helped matters? but she didn’t , which ultimately has left her sister now in quite an awkward predicament. Sadly, I bet McKenna is searching for a school currently. I don’t believe she will go into the portal until she secures a spot somewhere, maybe Butler. Because once a player goes into the portal, the school they are leaving does not have to take them back. Unfortunately she may pay the price for her sister’s actions.

• Haha
I know you don’t care for my stance, and I respect that. But the roster issue is because she didn’t finish her career. Despite what Dub said, teams don’t change their rosters based on games or tournaments they are in. Madison is not on the roster because she quit, walked away, opted out, whatever we all define it to be. But we all don’t matter. 🤣 CKG does and it’s obvious to me that the departure was anything but amicable. And that’s a shame. Just think about it: If what Dub said was true, (that she was taken off because she wasn’t playing in the NIT), then why weren’t Harper Sr., Reynolds Jr. & Layden Jr. also taken off, since they weren’t playing in it either? Colleges never post a separate roster for NIT/postseason tournaments. They’ve never done this. It’s because of how she left. It’s very clear that it was not a mutual, friendly departure. It’s also very obvious that not one of Madison’s teammates have come to her defense for quitting. She won’t be put back on this year’s roster because she didn’t finish the season. She could have at least showed up and that may have helped matters? but she didn’t , which ultimately has left her sister now in quite an awkward predicament. Sadly, I bet McKenna is searching for a school currently. I don’t believe she will go into the portal until she secures a spot somewhere, maybe Butler. Because once a player goes into the portal, the school they are leaving does not have to take them back. Unfortunately she may pay the price for her sister’s actions.
Since coach OFFERED the seniors the choice, she and the university are being very disingenuous and acting without integrity IMO. Its VERY petty and frankly, I would not let my child play for a coach that treated a 4 year starter like that for taking her up on THE COACHES OFFER TO BOW OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT, Someone's character is showing, and its not attractive.

And talking to a player in another school, even through intermediaries, that is not in the portal is tampering and lands you on probation with a loss of scholarships.

Since coach OFFERED the seniors the choice, she and the university are being very disingenuous and acting without integrity IMO. Its VERY petty and frankly, I would not let my child play for a coach that treated a 4 year starter like that for taking her up on THE COACHES OFFER TO BOW OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT, Someone's character is showing, and its not attractive.

And talking to a player in another school, even through intermediaries, that is not in the portal is tampering and lands you on probation with a loss of scholarships.
Partially agree. Yes, CKG did indicate she talked to the seniors after the BTT. The issue is that didn’t include Madison because she was already gone. I heard she walked away after departing the plane from Minny. CKG also said “They all wanted to play.” Which obviously didn’t include Madison since we know Madison opted out. CKG isn’t in the wrong here. Ask around. It’s not too hard to find out what happened. There’s plenty of people talking about this in basketball circles. I’m not sure how long you’ve been around or involved in college athletics or if you have any basketball circles you’re in, but if you don’t realize that college coaches use parents, players, AAU coaches, teachers etc to be able to communicate to potential prospects, then I can’t convince you otherwise. Talking to them directly is out of compliance, but utilizing connections to do so? Completely okay to do. And they all do it. Again, think about it….Do you really think a coach who kept Madison’s struggles private, who made exceptions for her, who allowed her to have such a long leash with time off, would then do something so public? Please. This isn’t on CKG. Purdue has every reason to remove her based off of HER decision to quit. I know it bothers you she isn’t on the roster but I’m pleased that the coach is standing her ground. Because I wasn’t so sure CKG was doing so with players. This leads me to believe otherwise. Madison, or any player has the right to be done. 100%. How they do it however, matters. Hope McKenna stays but with the obvious conflict, not sure how she could. I could be wrong however.

Reactions: Gesysp

I'm staying out of the Layden argument. To me there has to be more to the story. But I dont in know if either side will fully give that info out.

As for tampering, yes its illegal. But I dont know if I have seen anyone get called on it. Texas A&M should have gotten in trouble with the Scoreton situation but Im not holding my breath.

Pretty sure he is still around. I think he got tired of all the attacks and arguing. I still see him post on volleyball stuff some.
I am still around. Not real active now as I have just undergone a total knee replacement. It knocked the stuffing out of me but at least I can now walk some without a walker and with minimal pain. I just need to get over my fatigue and weakness. Maybe soon I can take my dog for walks again. Thanks for wondering PurdueDavie and Russ.

I am looking forward to next season and presently living the dream of the men’s team being in the FF - even if we do not win it all. I had begun to think it would never happen in my lifetime.

And yes, I am really tired of the attacks.

Last edited:
Partially agree. Yes, CKG did indicate she talked to the seniors after the BTT. The issue is that didn’t include Madison because she was already gone. I heard she walked away after departing the plane from Minny. CKG also said “They all wanted to play.” Which obviously didn’t include Madison since we know Madison opted out. CKG isn’t in the wrong here. Ask around. It’s not too hard to find out what happened. There’s plenty of people talking about this in basketball circles. I’m not sure how long you’ve been around or involved in college athletics or if you have any basketball circles you’re in, but if you don’t realize that college coaches use parents, players, AAU coaches, teachers etc to be able to communicate to potential prospects, then I can’t convince you otherwise. Talking to them directly is out of compliance, but utilizing connections to do so? Completely okay to do. And they all do it. Again, think about it….Do you really think a coach who kept Madison’s struggles private, who made exceptions for her, who allowed her to have such a long leash with time

off, would then do something so public? Please. This isn’t on CKG. Purdue has every reason to remove her based off of HER decision to quit. I know it bothers you she isn’t on the roster but I’m pleased that the coach is standing her ground. Because I wasn’t so sure CKG was doing so with players. This leads me to believe otherwise. Madison, or any player has the right to be done. 100%. How they do it however, matters. Hope McKenna stays but with the obvious conflict, not sure how she could. I could be wrong however.

((Coach Katie Gearlds said Saturday that Madison Layden “decided to opt-out” of playing in the WNIT, leaving the Boilermakers without one of their top-scoring options.

“That’s her right,” Gearlds said. “She worked hard for four years and had a solid career. There will be moments on Monday when we miss her out there because she is such a security blanket for all of us on both ends of the floor. It’s been good to get however many practices we’ve had to plug in and see who fills those spots.

“I thank her for believing in me for three years and wish her all the best.”

“It was more of this is where we are,” Gearlds said. “Take your time, think about it and there’s no pressure from us about what you want to do.”_))

Either your "sources" are completely wrong, or Katie Gearlds lied through her teeth in this interview.

((Coach Katie Gearlds said Saturday that Madison Layden “decided to opt-out” of playing in the WNIT, leaving the Boilermakers without one of their top-scoring options.

“That’s her right,” Gearlds said. “She worked hard for four years and had a solid career. There will be moments on Monday when we miss her out there because she is such a security blanket for all of us on both ends of the floor. It’s been good to get however many practices we’ve had to plug in and see who fills those spots.

“It was more of this is where we are,” Gearlds said. “Take your time, think about it and there’s no pressure from us about what you want to do.”_))

Either your "sources" are completely wrong, or Katie Gearlds lied through her teeth in this interview.

Let’s balance this with all the wonderful things CKG had to say during the NIT about how her team has been playing light and how fun it’s been during the previous 18 days. Do you think CKG would actually publicly bash her? No. She provided those comments because she knew people would wonder where she was because kids don’t quit on their team. She didn’t want any distractions so laid it all out. That’s expected. CKG is classy in this situation. In time, things will become clear I am sure. You don’t have to like my take on this entire issue, I don’t care. Let’s see what happens over the next few weeks and if I’m wrong, I’ll gladly stand corrected.

She didn’t quit…she elected not to play in a third tier women’s tournament that means nothing. She played out the season, I’m sorry a 13-18 team doesn’t belong in a post season tournament. This is post season, it’s not even a second tier tournament. If it was during the conference tourney or if they had a winning record and were in the second tier tourney I’d agree, this is much different. Scrubbing a 1000 point scorer who will graduate from Purdue is wrong and a cheap shot.
Come on man she quit on the team. Call it what you like, but that’s what actually happened. If she choose not to play for whatever the reason at least finish it out by supporting the team in person.

Come on man she quit on the team. Call it what you like, but that’s what actually happened. If she choose not to play for whatever the reason at least finish it out by supporting the team in person.
At 13-18 that team had zero business being in any tournament. I respect your views, however, at that point it’s better to let the youngsters play, time for her to move on with her life.

At 13-18 that team had zero business being in any tournament. I respect your views, however, at that point it’s better to let the youngsters play, time for her to move on with her life.
I agree they had zero business being in it. I agree the young players needed to play.

I am still around. Not real active now as I have just undergone a total knee replacement. It knocked the stuffing out of me but at least I can now walk some without a walker and with minimal pain. I just need to get over my fatigue and weakness. Maybe soon I can take my dog for walks again. Thanks for wondering PurdueDavie and Russ.

I am looking forward to next season and presently living the dream of the men’s team being in the FF - even if we do not win it all. I had begun to think it would never happen in my lifetime.

And yes, I am really tired of the attacks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT