ADVERTISEMENT

Made Fabian McCrays top 7

It is amazing how many top 4 to top 8 list we are in of top recruits. It is too bad our recruiting class size will probably be smaller than our last couple of classes unless we have a lot of attrition.

It is amazing how many top 4 to top 8 list we are in of top recruits. It is too bad our recruiting class size will probably be smaller than our last couple of classes unless we have a lot of attrition.
I’ve heard the possibility of 2-3 more this summer. Not sure on the validity of that but just sharing what bits I have heard. May end up coming after fall camp/before the start of school.

With the influx of more talent coming in, the likelihood of some guys that are the younger holdovers from Hazel get passed on the depth chart is inevitable. With that said, some guys may look to transfer for the ability to play rather than continue to see their chances if ever seeing the field diminish more and more. I’d say it’s a similar situation to Alstott but maybe not quite as clear cut yet given the freshman haven’t started camp yet.

Reactions: Cleanface
I've noticed Purdue is now making a lot of people's list. I'm now seeing a lot of DBs interested in Purdue. Didn't we sign 6 last year? My guess would be Purdue will only sign 3-4 this year. I foresee a lot of 3*s showing interest now will be turned away as our sites are set higher. I could see Hill and Graham signing and maybe the player from Louisville Trinity before our focus changes to other positions.

Reactions: Summy1
I've noticed Purdue is now making a lot of people's list. I'm now seeing a lot of DBs interested in Purdue. Didn't we sign 6 last year? My guess would be Purdue will only sign 3-4 this year. I foresee a lot of 3*s showing interest now will be turned away as our sites are set higher. I could see Hill and Graham signing and maybe the player from Louisville Trinity before our focus changes to other positions.
Signed 5 DBs. 2 Safteys 3 corners. I can see us signing 2 Safteys and 2 corners

Technically with all the elite WRs we signed last year and are targeting this year, Anderson could be considered as a future DB. And if ratings were given, he would have been considered one of our better ones. But still, Brohm has recruited a lot of DBs in his first two years. At some point, he has to focus on other areas.

It appears Brohm has already made a big recruiting investment in Hill and Graham. All of these new DBs showing interest in Purdue all seem more like a Plan B. It's a nice situation to be in.

What is telling is that in reading the latest recruit's post, our coaching staff already has a plan for the recruit before they invest their time recruiting that player. They aren't just chasing recruiting stars and hoping they fit in somewhere.

Remember not too long ago we were competing with MAC schools for recruits and that's bad MAC teams. Now we are competing with other BIG schools. Brohm has changed the culture already.
Brohm has changed the culture. No truer words have been said. He has also energized the Purdue faithful again too.

With the influx of more talent coming in, the likelihood of some guys that are the younger holdovers from Hazel get passed on the depth chart is inevitable. With that said, some guys may look to transfer for the ability to play rather than continue to see their chances if ever seeing the field diminish more and more. I’d say it’s a similar situation to Alstott but maybe not quite as clear cut yet given the freshman haven’t started camp yet.

I think we would have seen significantly more players leaving the program if it wasn't for the need to actually fill the scholarships. Just based on prior recruiting years, I would guess there are still at least 8 or 9 players basically counting the days until they get told, yeah you have no chance to see the field here anymore. We appreciate your contributions to this program but perhaps you would see more playing time at another school, like IU... hehe

Reactions: pboiler18
I think we would have seen significantly more players leaving the program if it wasn't for the need to actually fill the scholarships. Just based on prior recruiting years, I would guess there are still at least 8 or 9 players basically counting the days until they get told, yeah you have no chance to see the field here anymore. We appreciate your contributions to this program but perhaps you would see more playing time at another school, like IU... hehe

I had a friend in that situation. the coach told him that he would ride the bench for three years. and he said I'm fine with being the last guy on the bench and never playing. he played 2 minutes in his last basketball game his senior year and graduated with a mechanical Engineering degree.

I have to believe there are many others just like him. Given a choice of gaining playing time playing for a MAC or lesser team, or getting zero playing time, but a degree from Purdue, I believe many of the lesser players would choose to stay. Sometimes just being on the team is enough. just ask Rudy!

I will admit if a player has an injury and/or already finished his degree, there would probably be no interest in staying

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I had a friend in that situation. the coach told him that he would ride the bench for three years. and he said I'm fine with being the last guy on the bench and never playing. he played 2 minutes in his last basketball game his senior year and graduated with a mechanical Engineering degree.

I have to believe there are many others just like him. Given a choice of gaining playing time playing for a MAC or lesser team, or getting zero playing time, but a degree from Purdue, I believe many of the lesser players would choose to stay. Sometimes just being on the team is enough. just ask Rudy!

I will admit if a player has an injury and/or already finished his degree, there would probably be no interest in staying

Not anymore. There are a few, but a majority want to play.

I recall Brian posting that Haz’s recruiting left too many guys on the roster that were content to be on a BIG roster and would never see the field.

Not anymore. There are a few, but a majority want to play.

I agree. the majority want to play. But when you're talking about getting rid of dead weight, there are probably 5-8 players you're really wanting to dump. My assertion is that despite your desire to dump those non-factors taking up scholarships, and encouraging them to leave, that you will find 3-4 of that 8 that will refuse to leave knowing they have no real future playing for Purdue either - especially the ones close to a degree or engineering majors.

Unlike the past, Brohm can't just kick the deadweight off the team. Players now have rights. and it's ironic Purdue was the leader I n that players' right movement under that AD and President whose names shall not be mentioned.

I agree. the majority want to play. But when you're talking about getting rid of dead weight, there are probably 5-8 players you're really wanting to dump. My assertion is that despite your desire to dump those non-factors taking up scholarships, and encouraging them to leave, that you will find 3-4 of that 8 that will refuse to leave knowing they have no real future playing for Purdue either - especially the ones close to a degree or engineering majors.

Unlike the past, Brohm can't just kick the deadweight off the team. Players now have rights. and it's ironic Purdue was the leader I n that players' right movement under that AD and President whose names shall not be mentioned.
I didn't realize a scholarship was for a guarantee four years. I thought it was more like a year to year contract between the student athlete and the program.

So is this kid pretty smart? Is that an offer from Yale?
Not only Yale but offers from Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth, Navy, and a slew of others. 247 has him predicted to Illinois. I’m not sure playing at Illinois is exciting enough to pass up the top of the Ivy League.

I didn't realize a scholarship was for a guarantee four years. I thought it was more like a year to year contract between the student athlete and the program.

That changed about 4 years ago. Big ten led
The way

Reactions: SKYDOG

Now it seems coaches have 3 options to open up a non-performing scholly - convince player to transfer, revoke scholarship due to rules violations (skip class, meetings, practice, etc), or “medical” them out due to injury (player keeps scholarship but it doesn’t count toward 85 limit).

For the stragglers who just want to hold on and get a Purdue degree, they’d have to violate rules or get injured to open up their scholarship slot. All P5 schools voted to play by this rule, but it does not apply to non-P5 schools. So G5 coaches like Fleck could churn the roster at will...

Reactions: SKYDOG
Now it seems coaches have 3 options to open up a non-performing scholly - convince player to transfer, revoke scholarship due to rules violations (skip class, meetings, practice, etc), or “medical” them out due to injury (player keeps scholarship but it doesn’t count toward 85 limit).

For the stragglers who just want to hold on and get a Purdue degree, they’d have to violate rules or get injured to open up their scholarship slot. All P5 schools voted to play by this rule, but it does not apply to non-P5 schools. So G5 coaches like Fleck could churn the roster at will...

exactly. The BIG 10 was the big pusher for these rules when they created the power 5 as it stopped teams like Alabama from always adding 25-30 new players and dumping the ones they no longer wanted. and the same applied to basketball.

Unfortunately, the rules don't apply to all NCAA Division 1 schools. they only apply to the ones in power 5 conferences.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT