ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue made Xavier Booker's Top 10

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001

He gave comments on all the schools in his top 10, but it was basically copy/paste for each of the teams.

Purdue​

“They’ve been recruiting me for over a year now. Purdue was actually the first official visit I ever went on. They’re a really good school with a really good program. I love the coaches there. They have a really good track record of bringing out bigger guys, almost similar to me. I would definately be something Purdue hasn’t seen too much of, in terms of my skillset. But I definitely see the fit there for sure. They compare me to Trevion Williams with how he was able to create for himself and his teammates and just provide everything to help Purdue win games.”

He gave comments on all the schools in his top 10, but it was basically copy/paste for each of the teams.

Purdue​

“They’ve been recruiting me for over a year now. Purdue was actually the first official visit I ever went on. They’re a really good school with a really good program. I love the coaches there. They have a really good track record of bringing out bigger guys, almost similar to me. I would definately be something Purdue hasn’t seen too much of, in terms of my skillset. But I definitely see the fit there for sure. They compare me to Trevion Williams with how he was able to create for himself and his teammates and just provide everything to help Purdue win games.”
Will likely all come down to money...

He’s a HEAVY MSU lean at this point. It’s nice that we are included, but there’s about a 0.0% chance he comes to Purdue.
Agree.

Feels like a minimal chance of anywhere that is “not MSU.”

FWIW, I might guess that NIL potential is one the of the few things that could sway him to consider another school.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
If he is leaning to MSU, I’d say I like our chances a lot better than if we were competing with schools known for giving millions of nil money

I would take a video of MSU getting bounced by Syracuse and JJJ crying on the bench. Explain how Izzo is great at bringing in elite talent and criminally mismanaging said talent.
lol wut?! Look, I'm no fan of Izzo or MSU for that matter but he has been to like 7 or 8 Final Fours thru out his career. That's an insane accomplishment no matter how you slice it imho.

He’s a HEAVY MSU lean at this point. It’s nice that we are included, but there’s about a 0.0% chance he comes to Purdue.
Not a coincidence that Auburn is on the list as well...as, that is straight "NIL"...same pretty much with Oregon.

HEAVY MSU lean as you said...nice that Purdue is on the list, but, I agree with your assessment as to their actual chances with him.

lol wut?! Look, I'm no fan of Izzo or MSU for that matter but he has been to like 7 or 8 Final Fours thru out his career. That's an insane accomplishment no matter how you slice it imho.
I despise MSU more than IU. Unfortunately Izzo has been to 8 FF's. That is huge. He is what's called a transformative coach. Also, before Izzo MSU was Purdue. With the exception that was "MAGIC", MSU was a decent program with little national prominence and disappointing tournament performance. That's Purdue.

A 1 year guy @ a position we are loaded with TKR & Furst??

I would say the 24s we are on would be the guys that matter more to our future. Rock, G. Harris, Catchings, Perry all are solid -- likely 4 year impactful guys to the program that lands them.

Reactions: Schnelk

I would say the 24s we are on would be the guys that matter more to our future. Rock, G. Harris, Catchings, Perry all are solid -- likely 4 year impactful guys to the program that lands them.
While I agree on the bigger point, he is not at the same position per se as TKR & Furst...he is far more a post guy than either of them, and, far more an athlete and shot blocker at the other end as well.

I personally don't think Purdue has much of a chance for/with him, and, to your point, some of the guys in that next class are guys that Purdue is in a better position for/with, and, stand to have more of an impact potentially as well.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
This is what NIL money is for. It's he's going to sign with the highest bidder, then be the highest bidder.
Will literally never happen...in the world of NIL, with there being contenders and pretenders, Purdue is definitely the latter...it will have something that will suffice in some cases, but, it will never be a player at the highest level, and, it will definitely keep them from landing some top tier guys...but, most of those guys weren't going to be fits at Purdue likely anyway.

While I agree on the bigger point, he is not at the same position per se as TKR & Furst...he is far more a post guy than either of them, and, far more an athlete and shot blocker at the other end as well.

I personally don't think Purdue has much of a chance for/with him, and, to your point, some of the guys in that next class are guys that Purdue is in a better position for/with, and, stand to have more of an impact potentially as well.

True more of an athlete for sure. Very exciting player.

Still after Edey leaves, Gillis, Furst & TKR likely take the lion's share of the minutes @ our 4 & 5. With latter 2 both top 60 players. Thus, Booker is more of a luxury than a need. Glad we are in on him. But don't see it happening. So moot point likely anyway.

Wherever he ends up, likely a JJJ type who will have some wildly cool athletic plays mixed in with some inconsistent game to game production, where he goes off one game & even disappears at times...and then gone after 1 year -- rd 1 of draft.

Last edited:
Is the Gleague Ignite still a thing or is the NIL so much more money that the top players aren't looking so much to go pro after HS?

I don’t believe Edey will leave early. Will he platoon with Furst next year? I don’t know that either. Will Furst move over to the 4 and platoon with Gillis? Will tkr slide down to the 3 and become our 1 scoring option?

If all this happens, where does Booker fit in? Would he spend his 1 year at the 4? At the 5? Would we have a twin towers at the 4& 5? Would he platoon? If he did platoon, which player would he platoon with?

another question? If he did arrive, and with Tkr, Would we change our offense? Would our big wings be our main scoring options with our guards playing a more complementary role? Or would our guards remain our #1 scoring options and our more talented bigs complementing them?

I’m being honest. I believe booker, tkr and Furst would be our three most talented players. Would our offense revolve around them? Or would our 3 point shooting guards remain our bread and butter options for scoring?

I’d still like to add Booker. I’m just not sure how he would fit in with our current players if he plans to be a one and done player. JJJ kind of shared playing time at MSU for his one year. To be honest, I’m not really sure how our current players are going to fit together. Do we go with talent or experience? Every position has at least 2 quality players who are deserving of starting. They are young and inexperienced but they all have talent. I’m not a huge fan of platooning or redshirting.
My guess is the best players will rise to the top and those that don’t will either accept supporting roles or will leave.

He can't pony up for Booker. He can only pony up for a PG with NBA athleticism, can create for himself/others, score at all 3 levels, and play defense. So Chris Paul...

Otherwise he is going against everything he whines about as far as Purdue basketball/Painter is concerned.
Don't forget, my PG's have to be bigger than 5'10, 175 (unless they're an elite athlete and shooter and being recruiting by other P5 programs.

I’d still like to add Booker. I’m just not sure how he would fit in with our current players if he plans to be a one and done player. JJJ kind of shared playing time at MSU for his one year. To be honest, I’m not really sure how our current players are going to fit together. Do we go with talent or experience? Every position has at least 2 quality players who are deserving of starting. They are young and inexperienced but they all have talent. I’m not a huge fan of platooning or redshirting.
My guess is the best players will rise to the top and those that don’t will either accept supporting roles or will leave.
You always go for the top talent available. You really think current players would be upset if you brought in a 5 star 1 n done?
Why? Because it might cost them playing time? Well...too bad. Beat him out in practice and don't let him take your PT.

You always go for the top talent available. You really think current players would be upset if you brought in a 5 star 1 n done?
Why? Because it might cost them playing time? Well...too bad. Beat him out in practice and don't let him take your PT.
So I assume you’ve sent a large check to Jeff McKean ??

IMO we are in good shape with him. He plays for Jason Delaney one of the best HS coaches in Indiana and former head coach of Indy Gym Rats. He has coached Ivey, Furst, Newman and more than I can name right now. If he wants early money he can get it at several places. I will say MSU has been all about him for a year now IZZO has put in the work.

IMO we are in good shape with him. He plays for Jason Delaney one of the best HS coaches in Indiana and former head coach of Indy Gym Rats. He has coached Ivey, Furst, Newman and more than I can name right now. If he wants early money he can get it at several places. I will say MSU has been all about him for a year now IZZO has put in the work.
This is why I consider MSU as our primary rival. Izzo and Painter go after the same guys, and we have a more even head to head record over the past decade. I just think they are more of a rival than our traditional opponent, IU.

:cool:

You NEVER, EVER say no to this type of talent. When you start landing guys like this and they go after year one, you thank your lucky stars because you're likely to get more of them.

Well I believe our odds are better than we think.
I’m with you on this Bigs. I remember the day before TKR committed iu thought he was a lock for them. They even had his candy striped pants fitted and tailored. Late in the day rumors started to swirl. Then the next afternoon he dropped the Boilermaker bomb on them.
That was a great day to be a Boilermaker!

MSU is tough competition to recruit against. But $2 mil a year from some of the other unethical schools is even tougher. The question is does he want to win a championship? Or doe he want the money? Most one and done players can see they will get all the money they want in one year going into the nba. They don’t need the Nil. Pack is a borderline nba player and probably took the money now because his nba chances are small

Reactions: oldboiler52
MSU is tough competition to recruit against. But $2 mil a year from some of the other unethical schools is even tougher. The question is does he want to win a championship? Or doe he want the money? Most one and done players can see they will get all the money they want in one year going into the nba. They don’t need the Nil. Pack is a borderline nba player and probably took the money now because his nba chances are small
You don’t think MSU is offering big NIL money ? Google Mat Ishbia…

Reactions: Indy_Rider
You don’t think MSU is offering big NIL money ? Google Mat Ishbia…
The article said he was going to pay each football and basketball player $500 a month. Are you going to tell me Purdue can’t afford to pay Booker $500 a month? That’s basically providing him a free apartment. If Purdue can’t pay that much they might as well fold up their tents because this show is over

The article said he was going to pay each football and basketball player $500 a month. Are you going to tell me Purdue can’t afford to pay Booker $500 a month? That’s basically providing him a free apartment. If Purdue can’t pay that much they might as well fold up their tents because this show is over
The fifth string tight end gets $500 a month. You don’t think he would pay more for a top 5 NBA draft pick if Izzo asks him?
He’s a billionaire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT