ADVERTISEMENT

NIL deal?

Something about that last part feels ominous..
Tell me this isn't an organized walkout for more NIL money.

??? Have seen this exact tweet from at least a dozen players on Twitter this evening. Word for word. Comes across as a bit lame honestly. Not sure how to interpret the “going to need boilermakers support” phrase. (Uninspiring. And grammatically incorrect). Yeah, I know, I’m being picky … guess we’ll see what “drops” on Monday.
Insisting upon correct grammar, usage, and punctuation isn't being picky. I loathe what social media has done to language standards.

It will be intriguing to see what "drops" today. If it's yet another plea for JPC members in particular and Boilermakers in general to pony up, my interest level in collegiate athletics may drop precipitously.

Reactions: DAG10
Insisting upon correct grammar, usage, and punctuation isn't being picky. I loathe what social media has done to language standards.

It will be intriguing to see what "drops" today. If it's yet another plea for JPC members in particular and Boilermakers in general to pony up, my interest level in collegiate athletics may drop precipitously.
I think many peoples interest has dropped tremendously in college sports with all of this and NIL stuff. It’s the biggest joke ever played on fans everywhere.

For decades the NCAA Attacks “average Joe University” for “crimes“ in the recruiting landscape but the ones that are really break the rules, going all in on rule breaking, tampering, or attempting to circumvent the rules with major sponsors, etc. etc. they turn a blind eye to those programs.

But then out of nowhere it’s OK to write massive checks “through a third-party” to woo players away who had no interest in “said university” prior to the money showing up. Where is the talent in recruiting? Just takes away so much of the reason that fans follow their school and route for their alma mater or their favorite team.

Yeah, I have no interest in paying guys getting a free ride to school to play. I have zero issues with guys getting jobs and making legitimate business deals. But to just ask for money to play, no thanks...

From what I have heard, Purdue would prefer to see NIL be spread evenly. I think one of the players had posted a while back that a school (Texas tech?) got $25k per player and needed to do community service for it. Seems reasonable for what they do. I don’t like NIL but I’d rather this then have a bidding war for some prima donna.

From what I have heard, Purdue would prefer to see NIL be spread evenly. I think one of the players had posted a while back that a school (Texas tech?) got $25k per player and needed to do community service for it. Seems reasonable for what they do. I don’t like NIL but I’d rather this then have a bidding war for some prima donna.
I would agree to it would be nice to spread it evenly, and things like community service is not unreasonable. I think spreading it equally will keep more team chemistry. However, it sometimes takes a prima donna to put a team over the edge of a special season sometimes. Are the fans going to be satisfied, when team like Michigan State in basketball, beat us all the time, when they are getting more talented players, because they play the NIL game?

I have seen the discussions on this board in the past. We are going to have people asking for Painter's (or Brohm's head), etc. The NIL is a no win situation.

Is this separate than the other NIL that was started? It seems like it.

Cool. I wonder what sort of content the players will be able to put out during the course of the year.
Can I get the film breakdowns and Q&A transcripts for $5 a month?

They should probably coordinate the NIL activities into 1 collective. With this one we know where it is going though.

A few recommendations:
1) Prep for the message. Reading from a script is unprepared and shows the lack of interest. Only King Doerue looked more authentic and interested in promoting the message. All others are disinterested and for the most part looked apathetic to the issue.

2) Look good, feel good do good. For the most part, this is a commercial. Shave, haircuts and wear something that doesn't look like you rolled out of bed. Get your hats off backwards and remove them, don't play twisty with your hair. It is annoying to the receiver of the message.

Message gets a D overall. That is due to King Doerue's efforts. The others are a flat out F.
For the record, I'm in the generation that still cares a bit + not a fan of the NIL activities throughout NCAA.

Last edited:
Can someone please explain what is the difference between Boilermaker Alliance and this collective the players rolled out?

I’m confused.

Can someone please explain what is the difference between Boilermaker Alliance and this collective the players rolled out?

I’m confused.
Boilermaker Alliance - essentially middleman between Purdue and companies/fans. Fans can donate money directly to the Boilermaker Alliance and direct where they would like it to go. All sports (not just football). They are trying to keep expenses under 15%. Set up as a charity. Goal $6M/year.

"Anyone can make a donation, which are given to student-athletes after they perform work—appearances, autograph signings, social media promotions, camps, etc.—for a charitable organization. Per the website, Purdue student-athletes will agree to complete a specific amount of work for these charitable organizations in order to receive compensation."

West Lafayette NIL Club - Monthly membership based community. Partnered with YOKE that will "administer taxes and compliance, website development, message board moderation and marketing and analytics." aka a place that players can interact with fans and post content. Yoke has a 18% fee. Goal 10k/mo. Interestingly to support "75+ Purdue players that are participating in the club" (not 85 or more).

If you break that down, $10,000 - 18% fee = $8,200 / 75 football players = $109/football player per month before taxes. Their goal may seem realistic, but seems low, but who knows, we may get more insight to the program. Could this replace Gold&Black?! JK.

Last edited:
njm8845 said:

I’m confused.

If the (1) Boilermaker Alliance and (2) West Lafayette NIL Club doesn't suit you, you can go through the

(3) Boilermaker Marketplace Exchange (BMP). It is a student athlete NIL business registry, custom designed for businesses, donors, alumni and any other individual interested in connecting with Purdue student athletes for NIL opportunities.

This seems like if you want to do a deal with specific student athletes.

If none of that suits you, you might want to know that the (4) John Purdue Club (JPC) has established a goal of $13.5M for 2022-2023 to pay for scholarships AND for the Boilermaker Educational Benefit (BEB), which is an educational achievement award with an annual maximum value of $5,980 per student athlete.

This will seem to incentivize and benefit the athletes who do well in school, while this is available to football and basketball student athletes, this will seemingly be the biggest benefit to other sport participants

John Purdue Club noted that for 2021-2022 the cost of scholarships was $12.5M and that "tuition and fees have remained constant" so that means that $1.0M is earmarked for the BEB.

$1,000,000 / $5,980 = 167 athletes can be paid full value (I assume there's some sort of sliding scale).

If you don't like any of those ideas, here's some more choices:

(5) Previously donated money last year will allow for 2023 Renovations (Student Athlete nutrition/dining facility, access tunnel to R-A, south end zone seating, new golf clubhouse, renovated locker room facilities in Mackey)

Other options to throw your money at:
(6) $40M Ross-Ade Stadium Phase 2 (to be announced what they are planning)
(7) $15M to support projects and endowments for all sports in the form of "facilities, coaching and training, travel and tournament opportunities, nutrition enhancements, academic advancements and more"

Oh and don't forget to save some money for (8) Purdue's Annual Day of Giving that is done yearly in April.

Last edited:
If the (1) Boilermaker Alliance and (2) West Lafayette NIL Club doesn't suit you, you can go through the

(3) Boilermaker Marketplace Exchange (BMP). It is a student athlete NIL business registry, custom designed for businesses, donors, alumni and any other individual interested in connecting with Purdue student athletes for NIL opportunities.

This seems like if you want to do a deal with specific student athletes.

If none of that suits you, you might want to know that the (4) John Purdue Club (JPC) has established a goal of $13.5M for 2022-2023 to pay for scholarships AND for the Boilermaker Educational Benefit (BEB), which is an educational achievement award with an annual maximum value of $5,980 per student athlete.

This will seem to incentivize and benefit the athletes who do well in school, while this is available to football and basketball student athletes, this will seemingly be the biggest benefit to other sport participants

John Purdue Club noted that for 2021-2022 the cost of scholarships was $12.5M and that "tuition and fees have remained constant" so that means that $1.0M is earmarked for the BEB.

$1,000,000 / $5,980 = 167 athletes can be paid full value (I assume there's some sort of sliding scale).

If you don't like any of those ideas, here's some more choices:

(5) Previously donated money last year will allow for 2023 Renovations (Student Athlete nutrition/dining facility, access tunnel to R-A, south end zone seating, new golf clubhouse, renovated locker room facilities in Mackey)

Other options to throw your money at:
(6) $40M Ross-Ade Stadium Phase 2 (to be announced what they are planning)
(7) $15M to support projects and endowments for all sports in the form of "facilities, coaching and training, travel and tournament opportunities, nutrition enhancements, academic advancements and more"

Oh and don't forget to save some money for (8) Purdue's Annual Day of Giving that is done yearly in April.
Thanks for putting all this together.

Where can I actually access Boilermaker Marketplace? Say I wanted to give money to a specific player…

Thanks for putting all this together.

Where can I actually access Boilermaker Marketplace? Say I wanted to give money to a specific player…
They seem inconsistent with their responses on if you have to be a registered business in the FAQ’s but here you go. It’s hosted through INFLCR.

https://dash.inflcr.com/exchange/purdue-university

Who may register with the Boilermaker Marketplace Exchange?

The Boilermaker Marketplace Exchange is open to all businesses, entities, groups, and individuals seeking to enter an NIL agreement or participate in NIL activities with Purdue University student-athletes.

After reading this, I’m going to donate my money to actual student athletes through donors choose. That organization is where you support teachers and schools. They are the ones who actually need my money, not players looking for more pizza and beer money and drive a car newer than mine!

And my other money will go to cancer reasearch, st Jude and the Purdue Musical Organization pmo

An article pointed out today that the really big nil deals that players have signed were not through alliances like this or by the schools. Rather it was by the player himself or his unofficial agent/handler! Purdue is doing everything it can and is just as good as any other program. But guys like qb Stroud got his nil deal all by himself without OSU help. And the same is true with many of the other athletes who got the million dollar deals.

this makes me believe a lot of athletes are using agents to bring them their big money nil deals. Does this sound familiar?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT