ADVERTISEMENT

Loyer

Those posts were dumb. Really dumb. That block on Domask caused a 5 pt swing in about 5 seconds of game time. Loyer then scored 7 consecutive pts in the 90 seconds between 3 minutes and 1:30 after we had allowed an 8-0 run to go back down 2. Big time performance.

Fletch played a great game and was hit some clutch shots. We need that same Fletch to show up in at least 4 of the 6 games of the Dance. He can disappear at times. I thought Heide did a great job guarding Domask. No one else could stop him.
If 2 of the 3 guards have a good game, all with Zach being Zach, we are very tough to beat. It’d be great if all 3 had good games all the way through the tourney…but it hasn’t happened much this year (Wisconsin comes to mind). But this is why painter has kept fletch out there…

Reactions: rjmpu82
Honestly, he's our fourth option. If he just shows up big every third game, I'm fine with that.

Also, there were questions about whether Fletch had ever turned it up after starting slow. Last night, he was 2-6 (0-1 from three) with 4 points in the first half.

In the second half, he went 4-6 (2-2 from three) and had 12 huge 2nd half points.

He flipped the game back, arguably. Purdue slowly took over and went up 64-58 and had a possession - then 8 quick points from Illinois (4 from Domask), and it was potentially slipping away with 3+ minutes left @ 64-66......then seven straight (with two FT's) from Fletch.....assertive - no hesitation - and clutch.

He was generous enough to let Jones and Smitty finish it off in the last minute. :)

We shall see, but IF.....IF that kind of play continues down the stretch - Purdue will be a tough, tough out.

That's not even getting into Mason Gillis quietly playing a huge role under the radar. It shows the potential IF/WHEN the Boilers execute.

Fletch played a great game and was hit some clutch shots. We need that same Fletch to show up in at least 4 of the 6 games of the Dance. He can disappear at times. I thought Heide did a great job guarding Domask. No one else could stop him.
They both have come a LONG way! Fletch always had the aptitude, just needed to catch up physically. Heide REALLY seems to have embraced the D challenge that Matt puts on guys to earn their PT. He's reminding me of Branden Newman in that regard last year. Really locked in when he's in the game now. Timely for us. ;)

Reactions: Schnelk
Don't see any of the posts calling for Fletch to be benched that were prevelant a couple of games ago. He must play and play well for us to get to where we want. And that block on Domask at the rim was a BIG play.

Those posts were dumb. Really dumb. That block on Domask caused a 5 pt swing in about 5 seconds of game time. Loyer then scored 7 consecutive pts in the 90 seconds between 3 minutes and 1:30 after we had allowed an 8-0 run to go back down 2. Big time performance.

We need the Loyer of the last couple games. He has played well. He actually wasn't horrible on D too, the last couple of outings.

But given his play the 9 games prior -- it certainly was not "dumb" discussion to say there was a problem there. Even though in 1-2 of those games he had several assists. On a discussion board, I would hope people notice problems and discuss them......would be dumb not to.

Still no one on Purdue's bench took the opportunity to play better. Glad Loyer is back. He will be needed to be Big Game Loyer in the NCAAT. Won't win it without him.

We need the Loyer of the last couple games. He has played well. He actually wasn't horrible on D too, the last couple of outings.

But given his play the 9 games prior -- it certainly was not "dumb" discussion to say there was a problem there. Even though in 1-2 of those games he had several assists. On a discussion board, I would hope people notice problems and discuss them......would be dumb not to.

Still no one on Purdue's bench took the opportunity to play better. Glad Loyer is back. He will be needed to be Big Game Loyer in the NCAAT. Won't win it without him.
Saying that Loyer should be benched in favor of Colvin or Heide was absolutely dumb.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Here's the thing. While I've been in Fletch's corner, he went through a stretch where he was shooting poorly. Everyone knows that. When he shoots poorly, people are going to talk like that. When he has a game like last night, they won't. Duh. I've said it most of the year that he is THE key to us winning it all. If he keeps playing like the last 2 games, we can.

Saying that Loyer should be benched in favor of Colvin or Heide was absolutely dumb.

I said during that discussion, that bench players need to work harder in practice and games to take the opportunity there. Certainly there was an opportunity in Loyer's poor play for others to take advantage. That's fair.

Certainly is not dumb to notice a problem on Purdue and discuss it. If you are saying there was not a problem in Loyer's play back then, I certainly would disagree with your assessment.

But for sure, not sure why you want to admonish fans who did notice a problem? It is a discussion board after all.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. While I've been in Fletch's corner, he went through a stretch where he was shooting poorly. Everyone knows that. When he shoots poorly, people are going to talk like that. When he has a game like last night, they won't. Duh. I've said it most of the year that he is THE key to us winning it all. If he keeps playing like the last 2 games, we can.
I said during that discussion, that bench players need to work harder in practice and games to take the opportunity there. Certainly there was an opportunity in Loyer's poor play for others to take advantage. That's fair.

Certainly is not dumb to notice a problem on Purdue and discuss it. If you are saying there was not a problem in Loyer's play back then, I certainly would disagree with your assessment.

But for sure, not sure why you want to admonish fans who did notice a problem? It is a discussion board after all.
Even Hummel was saying if he can't score then he has to see the bench. If Morton couldn't guard anyone, nobody would be calling for him to start. He was getting absolutely bullied once again on the defensive end for most of the game because he probably can't bench his weight, and flopping doesn't work on the road in the B1G.

Luckily he started making shots in the second half, which was the difference in the game. He does seem to show up in the big games. Hopefully Purdue can survive the first weekend so they play some name teams and everyone decides to play hard.

Also, there were questions about whether Fletch had ever turned it up after starting slow. Last night, he was 2-6 (0-1 from three) with 4 points in the first half.

In the second half, he went 4-6 (2-2 from three) and had 12 huge 2nd half points.
That was me asking if he had ever done that. From the lack of responses back then, I'm guessing this was the first time it had happened. Glad to see him do it last night. He was huge down the stretch.

Don't see any of the posts calling for Fletch to be benched that were prevelant a couple of games ago. He must play and play well for us to get to where we want. And that block on Domask at the rim was a BIG play.
Just got part of his hand on it but apparently enough that Domask fumbled. I've tried a bit more recently when watching to spend a bit more on Fletcher's defense. His understanding is there. He covers, switches and gets his body in good places pretty regular. When he has problems it is not inside the team D, but his individual D where his physical attributes may be a bit less than desired.

It has to be a tough spot for Matt as his offense is good whether he makes shots or not. He moves the ball and gets it to the right spot (other his post feeds sometimes need a better angle where he lost one passing to Zach last night just up from the left block where he laid it out for the defense...and sometimes a bit too soft)...and the opposition always has to defend him which creates space not knowing when he is going to drill a few. He has generally good court savvy and any problems he has are usually physical, not mental.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy

Sorry man but "bench Loyer, play Colvin!!!!" is a dumb thing to say. Everyone could see that Loyer was struggling, and that's fine to notice and discuss. But if your solution is to replace him with a freshman who is clearly not ready to play at this level, that's dumb. Heide has earned more time, but if you though Loyer should be benched in his favor, that's dumb too. It just is. Quit being so sensitive and emotional.

Sorry man but "bench Loyer, play Colvin!!!!" is a dumb thing to say. Everyone could see that Loyer was struggling, and that's fine to notice and discuss. But if your solution is to replace him with a freshman who is clearly not ready to play at this level, that's dumb. Heide has earned more time, but if you though Loyer should be benched in his favor, that's dumb too. It just is. Quit being so sensitive and emotional.

Colvin?
Purdue posters just noticed Loyer's poor play and commented on it, and said he needs to score to be on the floor, which even announcers have said.

Sure, I dislike a so called Purdue fan calling other Purdue fans "dumb". But calling my posts sensitive and emotional is quite a reach, and really is indicative of the exact opposite. Have a great rest of your day.

We are a different and much more difficult team to defend when clutch Fletch is on his game.
Purdue's offense is MUCH better when Fletch is on. That said are you going to change your defense if Fletch misses a shot or two? That potential to go off in any game causes some space if not hitting and perhaps the increased emphasis on him scoring by the D has something to do with him missing? Coaches may back off Ethan a bit and want him to shoot, but I don't think we will see them do that with Fletcher at any point of a game.

That was me asking if he had ever done that. From the lack of responses back then, I'm guessing this was the first time it had happened. Glad to see him do it last night. He was huge down the stretch.
Right.

Folks aren't making arguments as much as they are chastising other fans.

I never said Loyer should be benched simply because we needed him to win games and the options on the bench hadn't yet showed they could anymore consistently reach the levels he had

But yes, he was in a slump and yes he almost never had a good second half after a poor start. Waiting until the one of the only times he has done it to chastise folks for saying that isn't particularly useful for anything.

We just won a huge game and one of the first things some folks can do is complain about the opinions of other fans. I'll never get the point of that.

Glad he's out of his slump. Hopefully it continues because as I said we won't go far without effective guard play particularly outside shooting and as I've said, when he's on, he's capable of getting to 20 easily.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT