ADVERTISEMENT

Love this headline at Hoosier.com

What is your prediction for IU’s record at the end of the regular season? My guess is that you haven’t looked at their conference schedule. It’s almost as weak as Purdue’s was last year.

Do MOST consider that team the greatest underachiever of all time? They won the Big Ten outright and made the Sweet 16 lol. Many other teams have underachieved far more than that.
If I was so obsessed with IU that I would spend time looking at their schedule and making predictions, I would be posting on the IU board.

Interesting that you are posting on the Purdue board about how Purdue's schedule LAST YEAR compares to IU's this year. You seem to recall more about LAST YEAR's schedule for Purdue than I do.

If I was so obsessed with IU that I would spend time looking at their schedule and making predictions, I would be posting on the IU board.

Interesting that you are posting on the Purdue board about how Purdue's schedule LAST YEAR compares to IU's this year. You seem to recall more about LAST YEAR's schedule for Purdue than I do.
So you admittedly have no knowledge of IU’s schedule (and likely of IU’s team in general), yet you are certain they are in for a rude awakening come conference season. Seems like wishful thinking at best on your part.

What is your prediction for IU’s record at the end of the regular season? My guess is that you haven’t looked at their conference schedule. It’s almost as weak as Purdue’s was last year.

Do MOST consider that team the greatest underachiever of all time? They won the Big Ten outright and made the Sweet 16 lol. Many other teams have underachieved far more than that.
lol...

Picture-2.png

So you admittedly have no knowledge of IU’s schedule (and likely of IU’s team in general), yet you are certain they are in for a rude awakening come conference season. Seems like wishful thinking at best on your part.
All one needs to look at is the level of talent on other teams not named IU and then consider that IU is a team of mixed/matched players who came from losing teams, added to the IU team that was also a losing team.
It doesn’t take much to see that mixing together numerous players who have never played together, along with a new coach who has never coached in the Bigten to understand that IU won’t be competitive against the top of the league.
Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, MSU, Maryland and probably Rutgers will all finish ahead of IU. That list IU at 8th, at best no matter what their schedule looks like.

All one needs to look at is the level of talent on other teams not named IU and then consider that IU is a team of mixed/matched players who came from losing teams, added to the IU team that was also a losing team.
It doesn’t take much to see that mixing together numerous players who have never played together, along with a new coach who has never coached in the Bigten to understand that IU won’t be competitive against the top of the league.
Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, MSU, Maryland and probably Rutgers will all finish ahead of IU. That list IU at 8th, at best no matter what their schedule looks like.
You want to put something on that? Laughably bad take, and obvious you haven't looked at the schedules lol.

Without question every one of those teams could finish ahead of IU. I'm pretty high on Nebraska--they could get into the top half of the B1G too IMO.

However, IU has a pretty strong talent level. Almost all of the key pieces are back, and the addition of two shooters and a five star freshman. Also (and this is a big thing) while Woody, Fife, Matta, etc. could be unprepared for the B1G, it's hard to fathom they'll be a lesser staff than Archie proved to be.

IU is the biggest wildcard in the conference--ninth is absolutely a possibility, and so is top five. So different than, say Purdue or Ohio State, who have a very very high floor, or, say Iowa, who may not be terrible but has a pretty low ceiling.

Without question every one of those teams could finish ahead of IU. I'm pretty high on Nebraska--they could get into the top half of the B1G too IMO.

However, IU has a pretty strong talent level. Almost all of the key pieces are back, and the addition of two shooters and a five star freshman. Also (and this is a big thing) while Woody, Fife, Matta, etc. could be unprepared for the B1G, it's hard to fathom they'll be a lesser staff than Archie proved to be.

IU is the biggest wildcard in the conference--ninth is absolutely a possibility, and so is top five. So different than, say Purdue or Ohio State, who have a very very high floor, or, say Iowa, who may not be terrible but has a pretty low ceiling.
fair. I think IU could reach the 2nd tier (Illinois, Ohio St) if everything goes as well as it can, but not the 1st tier (Purdue, Michigan)

You want to put something on that? Laughably bad take, and obvious you haven't looked at the schedules lol.
Why are you so focused on the strength of schedule as though a weak SoS makes IU a good team? Is a 20-10 team with a SoS of 300 just as good as a 20-10 team with a SoS of 5?

If you think so- I simply can not agree. I think this is one of the biggest differences in the mindset of an average IU fan vs an average Purdue fan, at least over the last 20 years.

Reactions: Schnelk
fair. I think IU could reach the 2nd tier (Illinois, Ohio St) if everything goes as well as it can, but not the 1st tier (Purdue, Michigan)
I may be in the minority, but I don't think Michigan is necessarily a top five (never mind top two) team. They are replacing Livers, Wagner, Chauncee Brown, and a really underrated Mike Smith, with top tier freshman and one small conference point. That's not enough for me.

Why are you so focused on the strength of schedule as though a weak SoS makes IU a good team? Is a 20-10 team with a SoS of 300 just as good as a 20-10 team with a SoS of 5?

If you think so- I simply can not agree. I think this is one of the biggest differences in the mindset of an average IU fan vs an average Purdue fan, at least over the last 20 years.
I know that Hoosier21 is a flaming machine, but IU's double plays against Minny, Penn St, and Wisky are a major help. Can't have an off day against PU, OSU, etc., but you can have an off day against those teams and win. IU doesn't play at OSU, at Illinois, or at Michigan. That will help the bottom line without question.

The bottom half of the Big Ten is all time weak this year. Those are free games. The more of those teams you play, the better.

IU has single plays against 4 of the projected top 8 teams. 3 of those are at home against Illinois, Michigan, and Rutgers. The other is away at MSU. IU only has double plays against Purdue, Maryland, and OSU of the top 8 teams. IU could literally lose all these games (highly unlikely) and still go 10-10 in conference by beating the weaklings at the bottom.

It's the reason an 18-10 Purdue team was able to finish 4th in the conference last year.

All Big Ten teams will finish with an SOS in the top 40 due to playing a 20 game league schedule.

PS: If it isn't clear already, I absolve myself of all flaming, overstatements, and absolutes by "Hoosierfan21" and any of Hoosierfan21's other various screen names. Trying to have an adult discussion with divergent fan bases sux when a know-it-all dumbass tries to incite a riot IMO.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think Michigan is necessarily a top five (never mind top two) team. They are replacing Livers, Wagner, Chauncee Brown, and a really underrated Mike Smith, with top tier freshman and one small conference point. That's not enough for me.
I think when you have this:

Hunter Dickinson
Eli Brooks
5* Diabate
5* Houstan
4* Collins
4* Bufkin
4* Barnes

That translates into a very good team

Reactions: HoosierFan21
PS: If it isn't clear already, I absolve myself of all flaming, overstatements, and absolutes by "Hoosierfan21" and any of Hoosierfan21's other various screen names. Trying to have an adult discussion with divergent fan bases sux when a know-it-all dumbass tries to incite a riot IMO.
He is not even truthful about when he created his account- it clearly shows the account was created on October 1. But as I said in another thread- his perception of time is weird.

He is not even truthful about when he created his account- it clearly shows the account was created on October 1. But as I said in another thread- his perception of time is weird.
What exactly was I not truthful about? I created the account on Oct 1, and decided against responding on that day. I responded on Monday for the first time.... so what again was i not truthful about?

I think when you have this:

Hunter Dickinson
Eli Brooks
5* Diabate
5* Houstan
4* Collins
4* Bufkin
4* Barnes

That translates into a very good team
It's a very high talent level. But compared to what they had last year? I'll take Wagner, Livers, and Smith over top 50 18/19 year olds any day. The Fab 5 at Michigan had more talent, and never won a B1G title in two years (the Cheaney IU squads beat them every time).

It's not that they won't be good (they will). It's that those young kids will be up against some grown-ass men at OSU, PU, MSU Rutgers, and many others. Hell, IU will have Trayce and four guys from 21 to 23 years old in their starting lineup. Welcome to the B1G Michigan freshmen.

What exactly was I not truthful about? I created the account on Oct 1, and decided against responding on that day. I responded on Monday for the first time.... so what again was i not truthful about?
apologies, could have sworn that you said you created the account "about 2 months ago"

It's a very high talent level. But compared to what they had last year? I'll take Wagner, Livers, and Smith over top 50 18/19 year olds any day. The Fab 5 at Michigan had more talent, and never won a B1G title in two years (the Cheaney IU squads beat them every time).

It's not that they won't be good (they will). It's that those young kids will be up against some grown-ass men at OSU, PU, MSU Rutgers, and many others. Hell, IU will have Trayce and four guys from 21 to 23 years old in their starting lineup. Welcome to the B1G Michigan freshmen.
Guess we will see. We have seen Michigan win with freshmen before. I think it's higher end talent than just "top 50"

If all they had wee freshmen then I would agree with your point and slot them in at 4th at best behind OSU and Illinois... but it's all those highly rated freshmen AND Dickinson, Brooks that does it for me. We already saw what Dickinson can do last year. Didn't they go a substantial part of last season with Livers as well?

Maybe not my place to give advice, but if there's a banned poster who came on your board under a new handle, shouldn't that IP address and all new handles be banned?
That's not how IP addresses work as @IUhaterade is about to inform you, given that he was caught up in a little mishap on this issue in the last few years...

Maybe not my place to give advice, but if there's a banned poster who came on your board under a new handle, shouldn't that IP address and all new handles be banned?
Yes that is what I would think- otherwise I don't know what the point of banning the account would be if you can just create a new one. That is why I tagged @JohnnyDoeBoiler yesterday.

Maybe it is just a warning- "do better on your next account"

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
That's not how IP addresses work as @IUhaterade is about to inform you, given that he was caught up in a little mishap on this issue in the last few years...
Right- you can not prove someone's identity just because they share an IP address with a previous poster.

However- you have admitted to being a person that has been banned multiple times, so that is different.

Right- you can not prove someone's identity just because they share an IP address with a previous poster.

However- you have admitted to being a person that has been banned multiple times, so that is different.
Correct, and I would have no issues with a ban. Just pointing out why banning the IP address is not a solution.

Reactions: IUhaterade

They lost a lot of defensive firepower and expect freshman to replace it, and its not like Dickinson is a rim protector. All things point to Howard being a really good coach, but what if he just got lucky with the Beilen leftovers and will struggle with meshing his own pieces together?

And I don't think IU can take a game off against anyone except Minnesota at this point. Northwestern/Nebraska are probably going to be bad again but we will see there. PSU will be a pretty tough out IMO. Chambers was not a good HC and Shrews might not be either but I would take my chances with him being better.

Correct, and I would have no issues with a ban. Just pointing out why banning the IP address is not a solution.
Unless I guess if banning an IP address is the policy of GBI... in which case a particular poster could cause others in their home to be banned. Wouldn't really care for that policy though tbh.

They lost a lot of defensive firepower and expect freshman to replace it, and its not like Dickinson is a rim protector. All things point to Howard being a really good coach, but what if he just got lucky with the Beilen leftovers and will struggle with meshing his own pieces together?

And I don't think IU can take a game off against anyone except Minnesota at this point. Northwestern/Nebraska are probably going to be bad again but we will see there. PSU will be a pretty tough out IMO. Chambers was not a good HC and Shrews might not be either but I would take my chances with him being better.
Southwest Wyoming State Technical Institute could take a day off against Minnesota this year. If they win 5 B1G games Ben Johnson is a budding genius.

Reactions: IUhaterade

PSU will be horrible. They will battle Minnesota for worst in the Big Ten.

lol. I have history on my side. Wishful thinking has been all we have heard from you for several years.

lol. I have history on my side. Wishful thinking has been all we have heard from you for several years.
What history do you have on your side? History that includes the current staff? Archie Miller was terrible. If Woodson is even just Crean level, this is an easy top 6 finish. I'll take that in year one given what the staff is doing on the recruiting trail.

What history do you have on your side? History that includes the current staff? Archie Miller was terrible. If Woodson is even just Crean level, this is an easy top 6 finish. I'll take that in year one given what the staff is doing on the recruiting trail.
tempting to make bets on that...

Every year. Crean, Miller, and now Woodson. The coaches change and the players change, but the wishful thinking continues. And every year you tell us that this time it's different. Maybe... someday...

But you are already bragging about an easy 6th place finish in the Big Ten. I suppose they will hand out rings and you'll be back here bragging "I-told-you-so". :rolleyes:

Every year. Crean, Miller, and now Woodson. The coaches change and the players change, but the wishful thinking continues. And every year you tell us that this time it's different. Maybe... someday...

But you are already bragging about an easy 6th place finish in the Big Ten. I suppose they will hand out rings and you'll be back here bragging "I-told-you-so". :rolleyes:
You act like Crean had no success. Archie is the only IU coach in the last 50 years that hasn't had success. Even Sampson was well on his way to big time success before IU panicked and self imposed a death penalty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT