ADVERTISEMENT

Little Bit of Info on Yale & VT/Texas

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
Hey All,

Was sitting today and thought about similar opponents that Yale and then Texas/VT have had this season to get a sense of what we could likely expect to see Friday and possibly Sunday...

Yale faced 3 'similar' opponents through the season in Seton Hall, Auburn, and St. Mary's. That average margins of those losses were roughly 28ppg with the average score being 84 - 56. My best guess is Purdue likely wins that game 80-64...simply because CMP will want to get Ivey, Hunter, Sasha, and Gillis off the floor as quickly as possible to rest their legs for Sunday's game. In all honesty, I am surprised Yale received a 14 and not a 15 or 16.

Texas, in similar opponents through the season, played 10 games and went 3-7 (I did not include tourney games). Texas appears to be a team that needs other teams to struggle to win as the losses have seen them struggle to get to 65 points. In those 10 games, Texas scored an average of 64.1ppg while giving up 69ppg. In the teams that are roughly built similar to Purdue, Texas gave up 86 (Gonzaga), 79 (Iowa St), 80 (Baylor), 77 (Texas Tech), and 76 (Kansas). I like Purdue's chances against Texas if Purdue plays to their average on offense and plays to their recent potential on defense.

VT played 6 similar type of opponents through the season (tourney not included) and went 0-6 in those games (Memphis, Xavier, Wake, Duke, UNC x2). In those games, VT scored an average of 62ppg while giving up 71ppg. I like Purdue's chances against VT on Sunday given this team likely doesn't make the NCAAT without their showing in the ACC Tourney.

I like Purdue's overall chances to make it to the S16...and after that we have to see who the opponent is again. Boiler Up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News