ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy's Preview.........

Underwood finished 21st at Oklahoma State. In his first year with a roster that was worse than what Archie Miller had last season at Indiana, so I wouldn't hate on him too much. Hes a good coach and youll likely see that this year at Illinois with the talented roster hes assembled.

Butler isnt a power 5 school and Holtman was successful there so I gice him a ton of credit for that. Gard took over a terrible Wisconsin team that everyone assumed was going to miss the tournament and turned them around and got them to the sweet 16 so I give him a ton of credit for that.

Indiana is drawing dead to be top 25 in offense this year. Very little shooting + a roster thats likely to be turnover prone again + Archie Miller has never had a top 25 offense in his career. He tries playing 4 forwards at once all the time and its why his teams consistently rank poorly in turnover %.

Lol "tries playing 4 forwards at once". Please show me a time last season where there weren't two guards on the court. You dont think Green and Romeo are guards? It's going to be awesome to revisit the Underwood convo when he finishes bottom 3 in the Big10 this year.

Lol "tries playing 4 forwards at once". Please show me a time last season where there weren't two guards on the court. You dont think Green and Romeo are guards? It's going to be awesome to revisit the Underwood convo when he finishes bottom 3 in the Big10 this year.

About the response I expected considering I keep giving out facts that can not be disputed.

"Just wait, this year will go how I want it to go."

Ok Trojan, we will wait and see again this year. After we already did last year. And the year before. We will wait and see this year if Indiana produces the first top 25 offense in Archie Millers now 8 year coaching career, like youve predicted.

About the response I expected considering I keep giving out facts that can not be disputed.

"Just wait, this year will go how I want it to go."

Ok Trojan, we will wait and see again this year. After we already did last year. And the year before. We will wait and see this year if Indiana produces the first top 25 offense in Archie Millers now 8 year coaching career, like youve predicted.

How many mid-major teams without a top 100 or 4* recruit have ever finished in the top 25 of KenPom for offensive efficiency? Genuinely asking.

Think with a couple top 10 recruiting classes Archie should have a little bit better offense than at Dayton. But what do I know?

How many mid-major teams without a top 100 or 4* recruit have ever finished in the top 25 of KenPom for offensive efficiency? Genuinely asking.

Think with a couple top 10 recruiting classes Archie should have a little bit better offense than at Dayton. But what do I know?

Is this your opinion?

Now that I cant answer. That sounds like something where, if you wanted to make a case for Archie, maybe you could do the research and present me with your findings instead of me always having to present the facts amidst all the opinions.

What I do know:
-Painter just had one of the 25 best offenses of the entire KenPom era without a single top 70 recruit.

-Mckillop at Davidson has had 3 offenses in the top 25 in his career. At Davidson.

9, 9, and then 16th best this year.

-Wichita State had the 4th best offense this year. Greg Marshall has had 5 Top 25 offenses at Wichita State. Let me repeat that - 5 top 25 offenses all while at Wichita State.

William and Mary this season had the 27th best offense! William and Mary!

Hell, Iowa, who everyone loves to make fun of, had a top 25 offense this year and they were horrible.

Those are just the ones I cane up with quickly.

Borden, absolutely nothing you just presented contradicts anything Ive said.

Crean had a higher rated team than Archie Millers best ever team 8 different times since 2002. 8 times.

Here are Archie Millers teams and where their final ranking landed:

71, 39, 59, 42, 42, 67, 69.

Heres where Creans teams ranked in the exact same time period

(Off), 44, 11, 48, 63, 3, 9

So one coach had 3 top 15 finishes and finished no worse than 63rd

The other coach had 0 top 15 finishes and also had the two worst finishes.

Archie Millers ceiling through 7 years is 39th. Thats...not good

Brad Underwood has only coached 5 years and has a top 25 finish in his coaching career.

Chris Holtman has coached the exact same amount of seasons as Archie Miller and has 3 top 25 finishes.

Greg Gard has only coached 3 seasons and he has a top 25 finish.

Kelvin Sampson had a top 25 finish this season. At Houston none the less.

Good coaches dont stay out of the top 25 every year, because theyre too good.

And so on and so on.

He was at DAYTON . How many times does that have to be said to you? All the guys you mentioned, and ONLY ONE has went further in the tournament; Sampson. He did so at Oklahoma. Great, gard has a Top 25 season. What did he have last year? Sampson is a hell of a coach. No argument there. Holtman is now at OSU. His best season. In other words, All these guys have had their best seasons, at P5 schools. Millers been at IU for one.

You keep harping on Millers best finish being 39th. I mean dude, thats not bad when you are coaching AT DAYTON. If six years from now Millers best team at IU is 39th, then your argument is quite valid.

Yes, a lot of what I posted contradiscts what you said. For one, you said Miller has never had a Top 25 defensive team---He has. I also showed where 3 of Millers last 4 teams, AT DAYTON, were better than Creans last four IU teams. And with much, MUCH less talent. That is kinda of telling. AS in, as Miller became more experienced, he became a better coach.

Your take is awful. As are most of your takes. It's all stat driven. None of what you ever post is based on what you know. Its information from others. And you them try to pass it off as "knowledge".

I mean every.single.coach in America is high on Miller. Analyst as well. But you know better than they do---Right?

OK. Will see this year.

He was at DAYTON . How many times does that have to be said to you? All the guys you mentioned, and ONLY ONE has went further in the tournament; Sampson. He did so at Oklahoma. Great, gard has a Top 25 season. What did he have last year? Sampson is a hell of a coach. No argument there. Holtman is now at OSU. His best season. In other words, All these guys have had their best seasons, at P5 schools. Millers been at IU for one.

You keep harping on Millers best finish being 39th. I mean dude, thats not bad when you are coaching AT DAYTON. If six years from now Millers best team at IU is 39th, then your argument is quite valid.

Yes, a lot of what I posted contradiscts what you said. For one, you said Miller has never had a Top 25 defensive team---He has. I also showed where 3 of Millers last 4 teams, AT DAYTON, were better than Creans last four IU teams. And with much, MUCH less talent. That is kinda of telling. AS in, as Miller became more experienced, he became a better coach.

Your take is awful. As are most of your takes. It's all stat driven. None of what you ever post is based on what you know. Its information from others. And you them try to pass it off as "knowledge".

I mean every.single.coach in America is high on Miller. Analyst as well. But you know better than they do---Right?

OK. Will see this year.

Well first of all, every single analyst is high on every single coach every single year. So lets not use that. We know how that goes.

Ive said multiple times he had one top 25 defense and 0 top 25 offenses. Come on Borden, your reading is reaching Giligan levels my man. (Lol)

As far as my takes being fact driven, thats not ever changing. If you subscribe to facts, stats, and data, more often than not youre going to be right. Its when you start having biased opinions that you start getting into trouble.

I remember you and Hail arguing for a long time about who was better, Tom Crean or John Beilein. You knew deep down Beilein was way better but you let your homerism take the wheel and ended up in a ditch. I think its the same thing here - you dont really have any reason to believe Archie Miller is a good coach, but youre going to continue to argue it regardless because you want it to be true.

Youre alright in my book Borden, your posts are a welcome sight to me here, but dont expect me to believe what you want to believe. Especially not when the facts and data contradict it.

Now that I cant answer. That sounds like something where, if you wanted to make a case for Archie, maybe you could do the research and present me with your findings instead of me always having to present the facts amidst all the opinions.

What I do know:
-Painter just had one of the 25 best offenses of the entire KenPom era without a single top 70 recruit.

-Mckillop at Davidson has had 3 offenses in the top 25 in his career. At Davidson.

9, 9, and then 16th best this year.

-Wichita State had the 4th best offense this year. Greg Marshall has had 5 Top 25 offenses at Wichita State. Let me repeat that - 5 top 25 offenses all while at Wichita State.

William and Mary this season had the 27th best offense! William and Mary!

Hell, Iowa, who everyone loves to make fun of, had a top 25 offense this year and they were horrible.

Those are just the ones I cane up with quickly.
Indiana was terrible offensively last year. But that had very, very little to do with Miller. He had no PG...no shooters...his starting, 4* center got hurt...Hartman was hurt, again. He had one guy, Morgan. That was it; until late when Johnson finally decided to show up. I mean IU got good looks. Just couldn't make shots. The offense was fine. I look forward to it this year with guys like Langford, Morgan and Smith.

Again, yet another awful take.

Well first of all, every single analyst is high on every single coach every single year. So lets not use that. We know how that goes.

Ive said multiple times he had one top 25 defense and 0 top 25 offenses. Come on Borden, your reading is reaching Giligan levels my man. (Lol)

As far as my takes being fact driven, thats not ever changing. If you subscribe to facts, stats, and data, more often than not youre going to be right. Its when you start having biased opinions that you start getting into trouble.

I remember you and Hail arguing for a long time about who was better, Tom Crean or John Beilein. You knew deep down Beilein was way better but you let your homerism take the wheel and ended up in a ditch. I think its the same thing here - you dont really have any reason to believe Archie Miller is a good coach, but youre going to continue to argue it regardless because you want it to be true.

Youre alright in my book Borden, your posts are a welcome sight to me here, but dont expect me to believe what you want to believe. Especially not when the facts and data contradict it.
How many years at Purdue until Painter's top 25 offense and defense?

Indiana was terrible offensively last year. But that had very, very little to do with Miller. He had no PG...no shooters...his starting, 4* center got hurt...Hartman was hurt, again. He had one guy, Morgan. That was it; until late when Johnson finally decided to show up. I mean IU got good looks. Just couldn't make shots. The offense was fine. I look forward to it this year with guys like Langford, Morgan and Smith.

Again, yet another awful take.

IU had Smith last year - he started 9 games. IU was 4-5 in those games.

Yeah, I'm gonna take Lindy's predictions with a giant boulder of salt. I remembered from previous years that their predictions have seemed pretty bad. Well, I went back and looked at their preseason predictions from last year, and here's how they had the BIG:

Michigan State
Northwestern
Minnesota
Purdue
Michigan
Maryland
Wisconsin
Iowa
Ohio State
Penn State
Illinois
Indiana
Rutgers
Nebraska

I don't even know where to start on that.....I mean, I guess they got MSU right.....and that's about where it stops. Minnesota and NW as 2 and 3? And they both finished in the bottom 5. Nebraska the worst in the league, and they actually finished 5th. Indiana 12th? Yeah, I'm gonna wait on KenPom.

To be fair, most people were very high on Northwestern and Minnesota. Nobody could have predicted they would have to kick one of their best players of their team and then deal with the injuries they did. Outside of the top four programs, the Big Ten was really bad and it was a toss up where they finished. I remember thinking that Northwestern and Minnesota were way too high on most people’s boards last year.

I think the Big will be hard to predict again this year. One can assume Michigan, MSU and Purdue will be back at the top, but they all lost a lot. OSU is another one I expect to see at the top as well. Scheduling always seems to play into who wins and I am sure it will this year as well.

Never said Crean was better. At the time, I felt he was just as good. And guess what---head to head, and stats---those things you like, showed that.

No reason to believe Miller is a good coach? You mean beside the fact that he took Dayton to four straight NCAAT's, with an Elite 8? Or that he's won nearly 70% of his games? Or that he took over a very unbalanced roster. Lost his starting center..Had no PG...No shooters. Lost Hartman to injuries, and had to start a walk-on? Yet IU got much., much better as the season went on. I mean other than that, no, I don't.

Maybe comparing Li'l Archie at Li'l old Dayton against Tom Crean at mighty Indiana isn't fair. Let's compare Archie at Dayton to a similar university, right next door? How about comparing to Xavier? Surely Archie has done as well as Xavier has, right?

This could get ugly fast.... :cool:

Xavier was really good before Miller. And they'll continue to be good. I think "X" has made like 26 or so NCAAT in the past 30 years. Not a very fair comparison.

t.
Really? Because, ummm, this is what you said, in this very thread:

I think hes a bad coach. Not an average coach, a bad one. Thats my opinion and the stats back it up. I genuinely can not find any evidence that hes a good coach. Best ever team was 39th. No top 25 defense, only one top 25 offense. Was horrible last season coming in at 71.

I mean this is you, right?

Never said Crean was better. At the time, I felt he was just as good. And guess what---head to head, and stats---those things you like, showed that.

No reason to believe Miller is a good coach? You mean beside the fact that he took Dayton to four straight NCAAT's, with an Elite 8? Or that he's won nearly 70% of his games? Or that he took over a very unbalanced roster. Lost his starting center..Had no PG...No shooters. Lost Hartman to injuries, and had to start a walk-on? Yet IU got much., much better as the season went on. I mean other than that, no, I don't.

Borden, again, believe what you want. But dont keep throwing things that arent true my way and expecting me to believe them.

IUgot much, much better? They lost their last 3 games. They got beat by Rutgers of all teams to end the year.

But even if they did get much better, who said they were supposed to be that bad to start the year? You were expecting them to lose to IPFW and Indiana State by 20+ at home? Really?

You go on and on about Indianas supposed lack of talent when Robert Johnson was a top 50 senior. Indiana State and IPFW had better talent than that? Rutgers had more talent than Indiana?

I mean its whatever Borden. Im getting tired of arguing this point with you.

You asked me my opinion on Archie Miller. I gave you my opinion and a bunch of facts and data that support why I feel that way ans you justkeep quoting me telling me my fact driven take is awful and that I should have an opinion more like yours that is completely contradictory to any stats or facts I can find.

Ok, good luck to you and your team Borden. Youre wrong, but youre alright by me.

Looks like I got them confused and mixed up. Maybe it is I, afterall, who has reached Giligan levels of reading and typing.
You know, you are like my ex-wife, man. I mean I like her. But most of the time I wanna kill her.:D

What I do like though, is you and I go at it, but we do mostly on a civil level. I think some of your talkes are, well, bad. But most, or some:)D), are pretty good. I think you are being awfully quick on your judgement of Miller. You keep comparing him to coaches who have been coaches for 15 years. Or are at P5 schools. I mean think about it. His best finish in 7 years is 39th. Now, if those prior 6 years were spent at a Purdue, Michigan, etc, etc...I'd be leery. But they were not. They were at Dayton. That has to be part of the disussion, brother.

Look, if Indiana isn't vastly better. Like NCAAT, Top 6 seed at worse, better---I'll start to think you are onto something. Its a bug year for Miller. He has the talent and peices to have a really good team. So guess its put or shut up time.

BTW---I think you rely waaaaaaay to much on stats. Especially in a game where stats can be very, very misleading. In the world of business, stats are pretty important. They usually tell the whole story. Not so much in sports.

You know, you are like my ex-wife, man. I mean I like her. But most of the time I wanna kill her.:D

What I do like though, is you and I go at it, but we do mostly on a civil level. I think some of your talkes are, well, bad. But most, or some:)D), are pretty good. I think you are being awfully quick on your judgement of Miller. You keep comparing him to coaches who have been coaches for 15 years. Or are at P5 schools. I mean think about it. His best finish in 7 years is 39th. Now, if those prior 6 years were spent at a Purdue, Michigan, etc, etc...I'd be leery. But they were not. They were at Dayton. That has to be part of the disussion, brother.

Look, if Indiana isn't vastly better. Like NCAAT, Top 6 seed at worse, better---I'll start to think you are onto something. Its a bug year for Miller. He has the talent and peices to have a really good team. So guess its put or shut up time.

BTW---I think you rely waaaaaaay to much on stats. Especially in a game where stats can be very, very misleading. In the world of business, stats are pretty important. They usually tell the whole story. Not so much in sports.

Agree to disagree. Youre right we always get along at the end of the day though. No need to continuing arguing the point any longer, we will see Borden. The fun part is we cant both be right. One of us has to be right, the other has to be wrong. So its going to be a funny, funny argument to rehash regardless.

I'm getting ready to put you on ignore because your posts have become too time consuming and IU tiresome on a Boiler board but I need to ask if Elsie is still the lead cow at Bordens?

Borden, again, believe what you want. But dont keep throwing things that arent true my way and expecting me to believe them.

IUgot much, much better? They lost their last 3 games. They got beat by Rutgers of all teams to end the year.

But even if they did get much better, who said they were supposed to be that bad to start the year? You were expecting them to lose to IPFW and Indiana State by 20+ at home? Really?

You go on and on about Indianas supposed lack of talent when Robert Johnson was a top 50 senior. Indiana State and IPFW had better talent than that? Rutgers had more talent than Indiana?

I mean its whatever Borden. Im getting tired of arguing this point with you.

You asked me my opinion on Archie Miller. I gave you my opinion and a bunch of facts and data that support why I feel that way ans you justkeep quoting me telling me my fact driven take is awful and that I should have an opinion more like yours that is completely contradictory to any stats or facts I can find.

Ok, good luck to you and your team Borden. Youre wrong, but youre alright by me.
Do you even watch the games? Or do you just tune in to KenPom? Or box score watch? No I didn't think they would lose to ISU, or FW. But I also didn't expect those to teams to shoot a combined 34-56 from three, either...Did you?

I never said IU had a lack of talent. I said they had a very unbalanced roster, with no PG, or shooters. I am very aware of Johnson's ranking. But how is it Millers fault that he couldn't throw it in the ocean? Top 50 player or not---it does you no good when said player can't make a shot. As for IU's PG last year? C'mon, man.

Yes, Indiana got better. Much better. If you cannot see that, then I do question if you watch the games or not. From opening night, to late Feb, they got a ton better. Were competitive in just about every Big 10 game. And if they had gotten a few breaks, easily could have finished 10-8 or 11-7. Hell if not for a buzzer-beating prayer vs OSU, they do finish 10-8. Yep lost to Rutgers. Just a game where they jumped on big, relaxed, and Rutgers got crazy hot. It happens.

Instead of telling me why Archie's a bad coach, via data filled spewing. How about just an opinion, through observation? Is his in game coaching bad? Preparation bad? Substitution paterns bad? Halftime adjustments bad? I mean something besides what KenPom reports.

Agree to disagree. Youre right we always get along at the end of the day though. No need to continuing arguing the point any longer, we will see Borden. The fun part is we cant both be right. One of us has to be right, the other has to be wrong. So its going to be a funny, funny argument to rehash regardless.
No doubt...Cheers my man.

LOL. You can't believe anyone is fooled by now. You can easily see that civil Hoosier fans are welcome here. Why lie?

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Since we're talking about preseason previews here, or at least I thought we were.....thought I would share this. It's from UMHoops, and I saw it posted on Inside The Hall this morning. Nice graphic that gives a breakdown of the Big Ten and all the preseason projections so far:

2WwpBnc.png

Obviously, people aren't quite sure what to think of Purdue yet, since they have one of the largest ranges of predictions, only behind Minnesota. Hard to know what to expect after losing 4 starters. I think this graphic is a nice way to get a handle on what all these publications are predicting though, pretty slick.

Since we're talking about preseason previews here, or at least I thought we were.....thought I would share this. It's from UMHoops, and I saw it posted on Inside The Hall this morning. Nice graphic that gives a breakdown of the Big Ten and all the preseason projections so far:

2WwpBnc.png

Obviously, people aren't quite sure what to think of Purdue yet, since they have one of the largest ranges of predictions, only behind Minnesota. Hard to know what to expect after losing 4 starters. I think this graphic is a nice way to get a handle on what all these publications are predicting though, pretty slick.

I think 1 and 2 with MSU and UM are the two constants. Still think 3-8 is going to be a crap shoot. Nebraska returns the most experience but for whatever reason I'm not sold on Miles. I think Maryland has the most potential out of any team 3-8 and if Fernando and Smith blow up they could challenge UM or MSU. I'm really high on Wisconsin because of Happ. Will say Purdue returns the least and has the most unknowns, but they do have the best player in the conference in Carsen Edwards + Painter has shown time and again his ability to finish near the top of the B10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT