ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy's Preview.........

PU pit bull

All-American
Dec 4, 2011
Purdue is ranked No. 17 nationally by Lindy’s and joins several other Big Ten programs in the publication’s preseason top 40 including Michigan State (No. 10), Michigan (No. 21), Indiana (No. 25) and Nebraska (No. 34).

· Seven Big Ten teams are projected to make the 2019 NCAA tournament including Michigan State, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin.

· The Big Ten is rated the nation’s fourth best conference behind the SEC, ACC and Big 12.

· Lindy’s ranked the top 150 players in college basketball and included the following Big Ten players: Carsen Edwards (No. 2), Cassius Winston (No. 9), Ethan Happ (No. 15), Romeo Langford (No. 25), Nick Ward (No. 33), Anthony Cowan (No. 34), Tyler Cook (No. 41), Jalen Smith (No. 51), Jordan Murphy (No. 54), Lamar Stevens (No. 56), Joshua Langford (No. 59), Ayo Dosunmu (No. 71), Charles Matthews (No. 104), Juwan Morgan (No. 106), Ryan Taylor (No. 112), Brad Davison (No. 119), Isaac Copeland (No. 123), James Palmer Jr. (No. 129), Bruno Fernando (No. 144) and Kaleb Wesson (No. 147).

· Lindy’s predicts the order of finish in the Big Ten as follows: Michigan State, Purdue, Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Maryland, Minnesota, Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois and Rutgers.

· The Lindy’s preseason All-Big Ten teams: First team: Edwards, Winston, Romeo Langford, Ward and Happ; Second team: Cowan, Jalen Smith, Cook, Stevens and Murphy; Third team: Matthews, Joshua Langford, Dosunmu, Taylor and Morgan.

Purdue is ranked No. 17 nationally by Lindy’s and joins several other Big Ten programs in the publication’s preseason top 40 including Michigan State (No. 10), Michigan (No. 21), Indiana (No. 25) and Nebraska (No. 34).

· Seven Big Ten teams are projected to make the 2019 NCAA tournament including Michigan State, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin.

· The Big Ten is rated the nation’s fourth best conference behind the SEC, ACC and Big 12.

· Lindy’s ranked the top 150 players in college basketball and included the following Big Ten players: Carsen Edwards (No. 2), Cassius Winston (No. 9), Ethan Happ (No. 15), Romeo Langford (No. 25), Nick Ward (No. 33), Anthony Cowan (No. 34), Tyler Cook (No. 41), Jalen Smith (No. 51), Jordan Murphy (No. 54), Lamar Stevens (No. 56), Joshua Langford (No. 59), Ayo Dosunmu (No. 71), Charles Matthews (No. 104), Juwan Morgan (No. 106), Ryan Taylor (No. 112), Brad Davison (No. 119), Isaac Copeland (No. 123), James Palmer Jr. (No. 129), Bruno Fernando (No. 144) and Kaleb Wesson (No. 147).

· Lindy’s predicts the order of finish in the Big Ten as follows: Michigan State, Purdue, Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Maryland, Minnesota, Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois and Rutgers.

· The Lindy’s preseason All-Big Ten teams: First team: Edwards, Winston, Romeo Langford, Ward and Happ; Second team: Cowan, Jalen Smith, Cook, Stevens and Murphy; Third team: Matthews, Joshua Langford, Dosunmu, Taylor and Morgan.
IU and Maryland ranked too high

Reactions: Purdue85
The SEC is bigger than the Big Ten??? What am I missing?

I assume you meant "better" not "bigger", but yes it's absolutely ridiculous. Last year the media was raving over how amazing the SEC was and 8 got into the tourney. But the only SEC team to make it to the sweet 16 was Kentucky, and that's only because they got to play Davidson and Buffalo.

B1G sent 2 of its 4 teams to the sweet 16. Purdue got one of the toughest draws, and Haas' injury severely lowered a potential run. We could've gone to the elite 8 or final 4 if we were the 2 seed in any other regional bracket.

SEC will be good this year. Watch out for the Vols.

Yes Vols very good, I don't think they lost anybody from a team that was very good last year. UK will probably be preseason #1. Auburn should be a preseason top 10-15 team. Alabama (and potential Charleston opponent) should be pretty good as well, they got Kira Lewis who was a 5* PG in the class of 2019 to reclassify and that should help replace Collin Sexton. Miss St will be a preseason top 25 team. LSU brings back arguably the best PG in the country in Tremont Waters along with a top 3 class including two 5*'s and two other top 50 players. Then there's Florida and Vanderbilt who also brings in two top 10 recruits. SEC will definitely be much improved and won't be your grandfathers SEC.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Huge question mark with the Vol's new coach who was like the 16th choice. My son is huge Vol fan and he's not at all excited about the upcoming season.
This is the basketball board. Rick Barnes is still the coach at UT. They will be really good this year.

Reactions: echs86
You're not a SEC grad that is what.
SEC has been trending in the right direction. The Big 10 had such a down year last year with injuries and other reasons, that that is stuck in many folks' heads. Combine those two and you can have SEC and BiG neck and neck. I think BIG will be slightly better than SEC this year AND I have degrees from both an SEC school and BIG10 school.

Those player rankings are a giant yikesberg.

Ethan Happ at 15 is hilarious. Hes been in the top 10 in KenPoms player of the year both of the past two years alone.

Josh Langford at 59? He honestly might not even be the 59th best player in the B1G alone. Seriously, thats not an exaggeration.

Juwan Morgan at 106? You could pick out whichever one of the Purdue posters on this board is the most pro Purdue / anti IU and they probably still would tell you theres no way Morgan isnt a top 100 player.

Then they also have Maryland mkssing the tournament despite having the 34th, 51st, and 144th best players in the nation according to their rankings. So theres some major inconsistencies there, I think.

I seriously have a problem with players making this list who have yet to play a game of college ball. They need to prove themselves on this level.

I got the new Lindy's. Thank's for the heads up Pit! I could have went with Street & Smith's but their cover photo does not exhibit the national player of the year candidate any reasonable college basketball fan from the area might expect. I still may buy my first Blue Ribbon also (the mag, not the beer!)

Last edited:
Reactions: PU pit bull
I got the new Lindy's. Thank's for the heads up Pit! I could have went with Street & Smith's but their cover photo does not exhibit the national player of the candidate any reasonable college basketball fan from the area might expect. I still may buy my first Blue Ribbon also (the mag, not the beer!)
you-re-whale-come-hoodie-men-s-hoodie.jpg

Ethan Happ at 15 is hilarious. Hes been in the top 10 in KenPoms player of the year both of the past two years alone.

Josh Langford at 59? He honestly might not even be the 59th best player in the B1G alone. Seriously, thats not an exaggeration.

Juwan Morgan at 106? You could pick out whichever one of the Purdue posters on this board is the most pro Purdue / anti IU and they probably still would tell you theres no way Morgan isnt a top 100 player.

Then they also have Maryland mkssing the tournament despite having the 34th, 51st, and 144th best players in the nation according to their rankings. So theres some major inconsistencies there, I think.

Now, this I agree with. Some very strange decisions made with these rankings.

I am not sold on Morgan. I certainly wouldn’t have him anywhere near the top 50, but maybe in the top 100. It will be interesting to see what he does on this team, but t isn’t loaded with role players that can drive/dish or force a double to get Morgan open. I think it will be a down year (compared to expectations).

I certainly agree with Langford being way to high. He has constantly been overrated.

I thought the same thing. I assume you mean both are better than that?

For sure...They were borderline first round picks...Production doesn't=potential but come on now....Not sure whoever made this list knew what they were doing past like #15

I am not sold on Morgan. I certainly wouldn’t have him anywhere near the top 50, but maybe in the top 100. It will be interesting to see what he does on this team, but t isn’t loaded with role players that can drive/dish or force a double to get Morgan open. I think it will be a down year (compared to expectations).

I certainly agree with Langford being way to high. He has constantly been overrated.
"Maybe a Top 100 player"? Interesting to see what he does on a team, thats not a bunch of role players? Seriously? What do you think he will do? With a player like Romeo, and Justin Smith, its going to open up Morgan a lot. Very little doubles. He's a tough guard one on one. Now his numbers may drop, but it won't be due to lack of production. It will be because Indiana will have more, consistent, offensive options.

The biggest issue I saw, aside Juwan being outside the TOp 100, was him being 3rd team Big 10. Thats just silly. Lindy's and Blue Ribbon are bad.

"Maybe a Top 100 player"? Interesting to see what he does on a team, thats not a bunch of role players? Seriously? What do you think he will do? With a player like Romeo, and Justin Smith, its going to open up Morgan a lot. Very little doubles. He's a tough guard one on one. Now his numbers may drop, but it won't be due to lack of production. It will be because Indiana will have more, consistent, offensive options.

The biggest issue I saw, aside Juwan being outside the TOp 100, was him being 3rd team Big 10. Thats just silly. Lindy's and Blue Ribbon are bad.
The reason I think Morgan was placed 3rd team is exactly the same explanation you gave though. His production is likely to drop given there are more solid players around him. Many may view that as Morgan not being able to be as highly valued and over valuing Romeo’s contribution.

If I were ranking, I’d probably put Morgan around 55-65 and Romeo around 30. I’d also have Carsen in the top 10 and Haarms likely around 115 and Eastern probably 150 given his size and defensive abilities.

IU has more top level talent but Purdue is the more complete team. The way the rosters look this season remind me of the Knight/Keady rosters in that same regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUfanBorden

I dont think that IU team is well put together. They may surprise me, but I am not buying in. Morgan is overrated (imo), and a lot is going to be put on Romeo. When Romeo went up against Bane and Bell, athletic defenders, his numbers went down. That’s going to be what he faces. If he doesn’t click with Morgan, Morgan is going to struggle. IU has major questions at PG and if Mcroberts is a starter they will struggle.

I wouldn’t agressively argue Morgan in the 50-75 range, but I wouldn’t challenge him outside of the top 100 either. I think third team Big is fair and couldn’t understand how anybody would have him first team all Big without taking a big jump forward (which could happen, but seems unlikely to me).

I think the Big Ten will be a very interesting place. Last year it was top loaded with a lot of average or bad teams in the league. This year I don’t think it has the top end like last year, but the bottom end shouldn’t be near as bad overall. I could see a team putting it all together and surprising folks, or one of the teams that was at the top last year taking over. Should be a fun year.

I dont think that IU team is well put together. They may surprise me, but I am not buying in. Morgan is overrated (imo), and a lot is going to be put on Romeo. When Romeo went up against Bane and Bell, athletic defenders, his numbers went down. That’s going to be what he faces. If he doesn’t click with Morgan, Morgan is going to struggle. IU has major questions at PG and if Mcroberts is a starter they will struggle.

I wouldn’t agressively argue Morgan in the 50-75 range, but I wouldn’t challenge him outside of the top 100 either. I think third team Big is fair and couldn’t understand how anybody would have him first team all Big without taking a big jump forward (which could happen, but seems unlikely to me).

I think the Big Ten will be a very interesting place. Last year it was top loaded with a lot of average or bad teams in the league. This year I don’t think it has the top end like last year, but the bottom end shouldn’t be near as bad overall. I could see a team putting it all together and surprising folks, or one of the teams that was at the top last year taking over. Should be a fun year.
Romeo scored 35 on Warren Central on a very good FG% (7-12). I cant find any record of Romeo playing Bane (assuming you meant Desmond Bane from Seton?). The truth is that Romeo put up big numbers against all teams, not just bad teams. He showed the ability to finish against length (TJD, Brooks, Carmel's big going to Butler), and athletic guards (all of Warren central).

I'm not sure what some of you on this board (who likely have never seen him play) are seeing that the rest of the college basketball world isnt seeing. Far more likely Romeo averages Eric Gordon #s (21 pts) than what most of you are predicting (10ish pts).

PG is a big concern, and something that has yet to be answered. McBobs starting is pretty irrelevant. He wont play starter minutes. In fact, I would be willing to wager that he and Eifert have very similar minutes this year.

The point is that all teams have big time questions at this point. It will certainly be fun to watch how it all plays out.

Romeo scored 35 on Warren Central on a very good FG% (7-12). I cant find any record of Romeo playing Bane (assuming you meant Desmond Bane from Seton?). The truth is that Romeo put up big numbers against all teams, not just bad teams. He showed the ability to finish against length (TJD, Brooks, Carmel's big going to Butler), and athletic guards (all of Warren central).

I'm not sure what some of you on this board (who likely have never seen him play) are seeing that the rest of the college basketball world isnt seeing. Far more likely Romeo averages Eric Gordon #s (21 pts) than what most of you are predicting (10ish pts).

PG is a big concern, and something that has yet to be answered. McBobs starting is pretty irrelevant. He wont play starter minutes. In fact, I would be willing to wager that he and Eifert have very similar minutes this year.

The point is that all teams have big time questions at this point. It will certainly be fun to watch how it all plays out.

I think the number of minutes for Mcroberts and Eiffert will be predictors into the season. I like Eiffert, but if he is getting big minutes, it means the other players didn’t develop as expected. Same could be said about Mcroberts. If he is getting starter minutes, IU will be in trouble.

Agreed that Big has a lot of question marks, it’s why I made the comment that I did. I don’t see what you see, so it’s a good thing they play the games.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I don't normally discuss IU basketball ,but I'll take a crack at it this 1 time. Morgan will be the one that carries the load, I'm guessing somewhere in the vicinity of 18 to 20 points per game. From what little I've seen Romeo play , my guess he will score in the lower teens. Sure he'll have some games where he will score in the 20s to 30, but he will also have games where he will be in single digits. Hunter might well be the outlier. But anyway , we will see when they suit up and start playing real games.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10

Man are you guys really underestimating how good this kid is...There's no way you saw the WC game, with this type of comment. They had no one that could defend him, one on one; And WC was very, very good defensively. They doubled and triple him most of the night. Was very physical. He never once wavered. He was, I believe, 8-13 from the floor. MOF, WC opened the scoring, leading 2-0. Then Langford went on a personal 10-0 run. After that, almost every single time he touched the ball, WC doubled him immediately.
Langford was really good against top notch competition. Really, really good.
As for this team not "being put together" well---Meh, not really. PG is the question. Green had his moments. But he's not a PG. But 4* Phinisee is. Miller just needs someone to get the ball to Smith, Morgan and Romeo. And do so without turning the ball over. Phinisee is going to be a really good, sturdy PG for IU. Look for him to start by conference. McRoberts starting isn't that big if an issue. He's tough as nails. A really good defender. Probalem last year with him starting is that IU needed for him to score. That WAS a problem. This year, they do not. That area is covered.
As for Morgan being overrated....Not sure how you come to this; Other than being a Purdue fan of course...If he's been able to develop a jump shot, Morgan's going to be a big, big problem for the conference. He's a tough guard already. He consistently starts to hit a jumper? Yikes.
I like the make-up of this team. PG is a big question. Interior depth(Davis) as well. But I like the freshman; especially Hunter. I think this team has some growing pains early. But I do feel by the time conference rolls around, IU's going to be a pretty tough out.

Reactions: choptalk
I don't normally discuss IU basketball ,but I'll take a crack at it this 1 time. Morgan will be the one that carries the load, I'm guessing somewhere in the vicinity of 18 to 20 points per game. From what little I've seen Romeo play , my guess he will score in the lower teens. Sure he'll have some games where he will score in the 20s to 30, but he will also have games where he will be in single digits. Hunter might well be the outlier. But anyway , we will see when they suit up and start playing real games.
Hunter is going to be really, really good.

I think the number of minutes for Mcroberts and Eiffert will be predictors into the season. I like Eiffert, but if he is getting big minutes, it means the other players didn’t develop as expected. Same could be said about Mcroberts. If he is getting starter minutes, IU will be in trouble.

Agreed that Big has a lot of question marks, it’s why I made the comment that I did. I don’t see what you see, so it’s a good thing they play the games.
He's a senior, who's a terrific defender. With a coach like Miller, McRoberts is going to get minutes. Dude just makes plays. I don't think IU will be in trouble if McRoberts is getting 20 minutes a game. His defense is going to allow him that. I mean he was 5th in the Big 10 in overall steals, and led IU with a steal rate of 3.6 per game. And heck, he wasn't a bad shooter. 40% from three' though on a very small scale(33 attempts). McRoberts is that guy who makes samrt, basketball plays. Winning plays, i.e. running down loose balls, gets on the floor, grabbing timely rebounds, steals...Just a ton of small stuff that we as fans don't appreciate. Look I was one of the biggest "McBob haters" there was. Until I started paying attention. Kids a winner. NO he ain't gonna make any 1st, 2nd or 3rd teams...Or score a ton of points for you. But he's a defensive rat. He's a guy who makes winning plays. Smart decisions. In other words, on the norm, he's not going to hurt you. 9 times out 10, he's goig to do something that helps you win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT