ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy's Preview.........

I officiated Div 1 CBB for 11 years...Does that count? I've seen many of great players when I worked College ball. Many. I've also worked a ton of elite level, summer basketball; Adidas, Nike, etc, etc..Seen a ton of great players there. And I'm no expert. Not even close. But I do think I have a tad bit of knowledge. Just a little.
It counts I have done exactly what you have done sir I ref the Nike adidas under armor in Vegas all over many cities I’m no expert either but you not the only one who has seen talent

Sir no apologies necessary and I wasn’t offended either and your experience out weigh my experience I’m just a HS official and umpire. My experience as follows just some college women’s games I did was minimal wasn’t interested in going up the ranks. I love officiating and umpiring for the love of it not to climb the ranks but make a little money doing what I do bcuz it keeps me BZ and staying young. I do this bcuz I had to survive to help my son get into college it was like my second Job to help pay expenses when he and I traveled during his time playing AAU ball and as you can see it payed off with a free ride to college on a basketball scholarship so it was worth every knee sore and tireless days I had to be on the court or on the field no regrets now I do it bcuz i love staying active and for the love of both sports and to still get my money on. My son got NBA potential 6”7 at 220 PG with 6”9 wingspan that can defend and play 4 positions at college level he’s being watched now so maybe I can retire soon.
This is really a good post. Especially the bolded part. Kudo's to you, Mrs. Reed.
I started officiating in college. I played baseball, but got hurt as a fresh, and then again as a soph. SO I got involved with officiated through the help of one, Bruce Pearl. I got away from it when I entered the service. But when I got out of the military, I took it back up. Over the years, I've slowly moved up the ranks--so to speak. Though the money is good; especially at the college level, I do it mostly because I love the game of basketballl, and baseball. TBH, I couldn't imagine NOT doing it.
Anyways...kudo's to you. Hopefully your son meets his NBA dreams, and you and he can enjoy a life it seems you so deserve.

Best of luck....

Reactions: mathboy
It counts I have done exactly what you have done sir I ref the Nike adidas under armor in Vegas all over many cities I’m no expert either but you not the only one who has seen talent
I never said I was. I mean I've seen kids who I thought where surfire. Then, well, it just didn't work out. I could be totally wrong about Langford. Wouldn't be the first time.

Ok. For one, I'm not bragging about a kid. I responded to a poster who called him "overrated". I fully expect Langford to have moments where he struggles. All freshman do. The speed of the game...how its officiated, etc, etc..Its to tough to adjust to. Not being the best player, athlete on the floor. So on and so on. In no way shape or form do I feel he will be immune to this. And not once have I insinuated so. I just responded to a poster who called him overrated. And now, its become this.
I don't where you think I'm implying you are a hater; such a silly word. I just asked a question. I don't know you. SO why would I make that type of assumption? Hell didn't even know you had a kid on the team until about 15 minutes ago. Congrats on that. Must be proud. I know I was when my son went off to school. Good luck to you and your son. Hope for a healthy season.
Sir It’s all good I come in peace and yes very proud. Look forward to the upcoming season and as I said b4 I’ll be at Indiana game supporting my son and Purdue basketball come by say hello I’m good ppl I won’t bite but shake your hand no matter the outcome of the game.

Sir It’s all good I come in peace and yes very proud. Look forward to the upcoming season and as I said b4 I’ll be at Indiana game supporting my son and Purdue basketball come by say hello I’m good ppl I won’t bite but shake your hand no matter the outcome of the game.
Nothing in this world like a mothers love....I'm usually to busy officiating to go to many games. But IF I do make it, I will certainly take you up on your offer.:D

Nothing in this world like a mothers love....I'm usually to busy officiating to go to many games. But IF I do make it, I will certainly take you up on your offer.:D
Love is unconditional for sure I block all dates my son plays so I’m able to make most of his games. Good luck to you this season officiating I have mine as well but no where near as strenuous as yours a bunch of middle school games a few HS games pays 50/65 a game like taking candy from a baby I’m stealing money but I love what I do. You sir are alright in my book our opinions may have been different but we got passed that and was able to be civil with one another. Be bless sir take care.

Love is unconditional for sure I block all dates my son plays so I’m able to make most of his games. Good luck to you this season officiating I have mine as well but no where near as strenuous as yours a mes bunch of middle school games a few HS games pays 50/65 a game like taking candy from a baby money but I love what I do. You sir are alright in my book our opinions may have been different but we got passed that and was able to be civil with one another. Be bless sir take care.
Hey, those damn MS games are rough. I've told frineds of mine who have become interested in moving up---"If you can officiate MS ball, you can officiate HS; and then college. I still work MS games here locally. They pay $75 for two games. And as you said---""stealing money". But those games can be brutal...I work a lot more HS games now, then college. My cardiologist hasn't released me for a full schedule. SO I get "my fix on", working HS And the pay for HS, here in southern Indiana, pays pretty good; normal rate is $90. But again, its not just the money. I just love the game.
Again, good luck to you and your son. I'll be rooting for him---Except for that one game, of course.:D

It doesn't matter if they are true, he's rooting for the right team. Now if he was going over to your board and talking trash, then he's on his own. But as long as it's a Purdue message board, I don't know about anybody else, but it's alright by me.

It doesn't matter if they are true, he's rooting for the right team. Now if he was going over to your board and talking trash, then he's on his own. But as long as it's a Purdue message board, I don't know about anybody else, but it's alright by me.
I agree.

Do I believe those facts are true? Yes, all of those researched facts are indeed true. Ive double checked them all to ensure the accuracy.
So its a fact that Miller is a terrible coach? Never mind the stats. What do you think? I mean stats don't always tell the whole story. MOF, they very seldom do. Or is it that you just pick the stats that better fits your agenda? In that case, those stats usually do work. Well that is, until other variables are brought in. Then it kinda of dumbs them down.

Just curious...

So its a fact that Miller is a terrible coach? Never mind the stats. What do you think? I mean stats don't always tell the whole story. MOF, they very seldom do. Or is it that you just pick the stats that better fits your agenda? In that case, those stats usually do work. Well that is, until other variables are brought in. Then it kinda of dumbs them down.

Just curious...

You want to know what I think about Archie Miller?

Ok, but make sure youre sitting down because you arent going to like what Ive found.

I think hes a bad coach. Not an average coach, a bad one. Thats my opinion and the stats back it up. I genuinely can not find any evidence that hes a good coach. Best ever team was 39th. No top 25 defense, only one top 25 offense. Was horrible last season coming in at 71.

For someone to coach for 7 years and never have one of the 38 best teams in the nation any of those years is telling.

Crean is for sure a better coach. That really isnt even debatable. Creans had six top 15 teams in his coaching career, including 3 at Marquette before coaching at Indiana.

Hes had 8 years with a better team than Millers best team ever in efficiency margin.

Outside of Creans first 3 rebuild years with walkons, he never had as bad a team as bad as Archie had last year. The closest was 2014 , but Creans team was still a point better.

I actually think this season is huge for Millers coaching career. He basically needs to make the tournament this season, IMO, or he is going to be at a major risk of being fired after the 2019-20 season otherwise. This season pretty much dictates whether he will have staying power at Indiana or end up back at a mid major. I think the odds are against him to be at Indiana a long time unless he can make the tournament both the next 2 years, which IMO Indiana is a dog to do.

Just curious...
Personally, I think Archie is a pretty good coach. Coming here you will get widely varying opinions of Li'l Archie. You are welcome to respond and reply, but some of the posters are difficult to refute. Mgk usually backs up his opinions with facts, hard facts. Sure he cherry picks them, but he is one of a very small group of posters that actually offers more than just opinion. You might not like what he posts, but it I hard to argue with his statistics.

Ok, but make sure youre sitting down because you arent going to like what Ive found.

I think hes a bad coach. Not an average coach, a bad one. Thats my opinion and the stats back it up. I genuinely can not find any evidence that hes a good coach. Best ever team was 39th. No top 25 defense, only one top 25 offense. Was horrible last season coming in at 71.

For someone to coach for 7 years and never have one of the 38 best teams in the nation any of those years is telling.

Crean is for sure a better coach. That really isnt even debatable. Creans had six top 15 teams in his coaching career, including 3 at Marquette before coaching at Indiana.

Hes had 8 years with a better team than Millers best team ever in efficiency margin.

Outside of Creans first 3 rebuild years with walkons, he never had as bad a team as bad as Archie had last year. The closest was 2014 , but Creans team was still a point better.

I actually think this season is huge for Millers coaching career. He basically needs to make the tournament this season, IMO, or he is going to be at a major risk of being fired after the 2019-20 season otherwise. This season pretty much dictates whether he will have staying power at Indiana or end up back at a mid major. I think the odds are against him to be at Indiana a long time unless he can make the tournament both the next 2 years, which IMO Indiana is a dog to do.
Wow. I mean you do know Miller coached at Dayton, right? Not UNC...or Duke...Or Kentucky....But Dayton. A program he took to four straight NCAAT's. To an Elite 8. What did you expect him to do at Dayton----produce Top 10 teams every year? Top 20? Thing is, he may have started doing so, had he not left for Indiana. He won 25+ games his final 4 seasons at Dayton. Jesus you are bad.

As for Crean being better....Ok, now I know. You are a troll. Have to be. Remember when I said Miller had won 25+ games 4 times at Dayton? That was in 6 seasons. Crean has seasons of 25+ wins 7 times----In 18 years. And your argument of Crean having 6 Top 15 teams in his career as "evidence" as being better is, well, you being you. Creans been a HC for 19 years. Miller 7. Crean was a HC at two, P5 schools. Miller was at Dayton. He should have more Top 15 teams. Mercy you cannot be this dumb. You base everything off stats. You are incapable of coming up with your own opinion. This post is just another example of that.

I mean really-------. He(Miller) hasn't had a team better than 39th, makes him a terrible, bad coach? LOL...Dude he was at Dayton.

Seesh.

Personally, I think Archie is a pretty good coach. Coming here you will get widely varying opinions of Li'l Archie. You are welcome to respond and reply, but some of the posters are difficult to refute. Mgk usually backs up his opinions with facts, hard facts. Sure he cherry picks them, but he is one of a very small group of posters that actually offers more than just opinion. You might not like what he posts, but it I hard to argue with his statistics.
Statistics are what you make them. You show what you want, in a manner tha best fits your argument. As in this post. He shows, stats wise, that Miller has never had a tem ranked better than 39th. Ok. What he doesn't tell you is where said coach was at. So, sure 39th seems meh. Especially so if you are at a PU or IU. But Miller wasn't at a P5 conference, school. He didn't have the resources there, that he now has. Anyways, he leaves out a stat. That Miller won 70% of his games. Or another stat: He took Dayton to 4 straight NCAAT. Or he took them to an Elite 8...Or that he won 25+ or more games in his past 4 seasons.

See....stats are what you make them.

Reactions: IUEyeDoc
He’s gotta be trolling, and doing so on many rivals boards.

Miller has a better post-season winning % than Matt Painter, and has done so with a grand total of zero composite top 100 recruits at Dayton. And Matt Painter is a very good, successful coach.

Porter Moser has a better NCAA winning % than either of them! It’s true! Of course, Moser has been a DI head coach for 14 seasons and has one team that’s gotten into the tourney.

My favorite line is the “many” IU fans who thought IU would win the B1G last year.
Riiiiiight: many.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUEyeDoc

Since you like stats so much, I did a little research. During Millers last four years at Dayton, his teams were ranked higher overall(per kenpom) 3 times over Tom Crean coached Indiana.

2014: Dayton 42nd...IU 63rd
2015: Dayton 42nd....IU 48th
2016: IU 11th.......Dayton 59th
2017: Dayton 39th.....IU 44th.

Yes....there is more. You sais Miller never had a Top 25 defense. Well, KenPom disagrees. In 2016, Dayton has an AdjD of 15. I'm not the greatest at math, but pretty sure 15 is within the Top 25. Three times Miller had teams with Top 50 AdjD. Care to know how many Crean coached teams at IU achieved that? I'll tell you this---He had more 100/200+ defenses, than he did Top 50. Just so you know---he had 2 in 9 seasons.

Just something I am sure you overlooked when presenting all your, ummmm, "evidence". But hey, its your story. Your homeboard. Who am to be rude.

Since you like stats so much, I did a little research. During Millers last four years at Dayton, his teams were ranked higher overall(per kenpom) 3 times over Tom Crean coached Indiana.

2014: Dayton 42nd...IU 63rd
2015: Dayton 42nd....IU 48th
2016: IU 11th.......Dayton 59th
2017: Dayton 39th.....IU 44th.

Yes....there is more. You sais Miller never had a Top 25 defense. Well, KenPom disagrees. In 2016, Dayton has an AdjD of 15. I'm not the greatest at math, but pretty sure 15 is within the Top 25. Three times Miller had teams with Top 50 AdjD. Care to know how many Crean coached teams at IU achieved that? I'll tell you this---He had more 100/200+ defenses, than he did Top 50. Just so you know---he had 2 in 9 seasons.

Just something I am sure you overlooked when presenting all your, ummmm, "evidence". But hey, its your story. Your homeboard. Who am to be rude.

At least he’s got his indisputable stats to rely o.... ahhh, never mind.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
At least he’s got his indisputable stats to rely o.... ahhh, never mind.
He uses the stats that fits his agenda. He's a guy who will tell you Player "X" is a better shooter than Player "Y" becasue he shot 50% from three. What he leaves out is Player "X" only attempted 2 three's.:D

Miller had higher rated KenPom teams than Crean in 2014, 15 and 17. With much less talent. But that doesn't fit his argument. So he leaves it out.:rolleyes:

He points out that last year IU's AdjD was 71; actually they were 65th. Anyways....he fails to mention that in Nov and Dec, their AdjD was around 160. Meaning over a span of 2months,their defense improved by 95 spots. Again----he leaves that out. He also leaves out that IU was 4th in the Big 20 in steals per game...6th in blocked shots...He just leaves that out.

Like I said---Stats are what you make them to be.

Borden, absolutely nothing you just presented contradicts anything Ive said.

Crean had a higher rated team than Archie Millers best ever team 8 different times since 2002. 8 times.

Here are Archie Millers teams and where their final ranking landed:

71, 39, 59, 42, 42, 67, 69.

Heres where Creans teams ranked in the exact same time period

(Off), 44, 11, 48, 63, 3, 9

So one coach had 3 top 15 finishes and finished no worse than 63rd

The other coach had 0 top 15 finishes and also had the two worst finishes.

Archie Millers ceiling through 7 years is 39th. Thats...not good.

Brad Underwood has only coached 5 years and has a top 25 finish in his coaching career.

Chris Holtman has coached the exact same amount of seasons as Archie Miller and has 3 top 25 finishes.

Greg Gard has only coached 3 seasons and he has a top 25 finish.

Kelvin Sampson had a top 25 finish this season. At Houston none the less.

Good coaches dont stay out of the top 25 every year, because theyre too good.

And so on and so on.

Crean had a higher rated team than Archie Millers best ever team 8 different times since 2002. 8 times.

Brad Underwood has only coached 5 years and has a top 25 finish in his coaching career.

Chris Holtman has coached the exact same amount of seasons as Archie Miller and has 3 top 25 finishes.

And so on and so on.
Ha ha, that is why you don't try and argue stats and such with Purdue people. We will beat you every time, well done.

And so on and so on.
A) Is coaching at Marquette/Indiana (9 seasons) the equivalent of coaching at Dayton/Iu (1 season)?

B) Underwood is such a good coach that he will finish in the bottom 4th of the big ten for the 2nd year in a row.

C)Holtmann and Gard only had those successes once they got to a P5 school.

D) Sampson is a good (but dirty) coach.

E) I would be willing to heavily bet anyone here that IU finishes top 25 in kenpom AdjO.

F) I'll take it a step further and say IU finishes ahead of Purdue in AdjO this season.

Maybe comparing Li'l Archie at Li'l old Dayton against Tom Crean at mighty Indiana isn't fair. Let's compare Archie at Dayton to a similar university, right next door? How about comparing to Xavier? Surely Archie has done as well as Xavier has, right?

This could get ugly fast.... :cool:

Reactions: Inspector100
Maybe comparing Li'l Archie at Li'l old Dayton against Tom Crean at mighty Indiana isn't fair. Let's compare Archie at Dayton to a similar university, right next door? How about comparing to Xavier? Surely Archie has done as well as Xavier has, right?

This could get ugly fast.... :cool:

Xavier was in the Big East for most of Archie's tenure at Dayton. They are now a P5 school so comparing Dayton to Xavier isn't really a fair comparison. Archie went 2-3 vs Xavier while they were in the A10 together. Would say what Archie was able to accomplish at Dayton falls in line with how his brother and Chris Mack fared while in the A10.

I don't normally discuss IU basketball ,but I'll take a crack at it this 1 time. Morgan will be the one that carries the load, I'm guessing somewhere in the vicinity of 18 to 20 points per game. From what little I've seen Romeo play , my guess he will score in the lower teens. Sure he'll have some games where he will score in the 20s to 30, but he will also have games where he will be in single digits. Hunter might well be the outlier. But anyway , we will see when they suit up and start playing real games.

I can't wait to see Nojel D-up Landford. That's going to be a 'welcome to the rivalry' moment.

Naaah...It was pretty spot on. I haven't been disrespectful to a single poster n here; Unless of course you feel disagreeing is being disrespectful. For the most part, all the conversations have been quite civil. But then you come along, and.........

tenor.gif

POTFH
Iu sucks

Reactions: Schnelk
He uses the stats that fits his agenda. He's a guy who will tell you Player "X" is a better shooter than Player "Y" becasue he shot 50% from three. What he leaves out is Player "X" only attempted 2 three's.:D

Miller had higher rated KenPom teams than Crean in 2014, 15 and 17. With much less talent. But that doesn't fit his argument. So he leaves it out.:rolleyes:

He points out that last year IU's AdjD was 71; actually they were 65th. Anyways....he fails to mention that in Nov and Dec, their AdjD was around 160. Meaning over a span of 2months,their defense improved by 95 spots. Again----he leaves that out. He also leaves out that IU was 4th in the Big 20 in steals per game...6th in blocked shots...He just leaves that out.

Like I said---Stats are what you make them to be.
You guys are making yourselves look silly in so many ways. It starts with coming to a Purdue board and acting like you have been insulted when a Purdue fan presents his fact-based opinion -- on the Purdue board. Then you go downhill from there.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Xavier was in the Big East for most of Archie's tenure at Dayton. They are now a P5 school so comparing Dayton to Xavier isn't really a fair comparison. Archie went 2-3 vs Xavier while they were in the A10 together. Would say what Archie was able to accomplish at Dayton falls in line with how his brother and Chris Mack fared while in the A10.
I think you want to look at where Xavier's teams finished and how successful they were in the NCAA's as the comparison. I would look beyond the head-to-head when comparing these two schools accomplishments overall.

Both schools were in the same geographical area. Both schools were what we sometimes call mid-major, although that is a red-herring for basketball teams. Xavier made the NCAA's almost every year while Archie was at Dayton. In support of Mgk's conclusions, comparisons to Xavier are not very favorable for Li'l Archie.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I think you want to look at where Xavier's teams finished and how successful they were in the NCAA's as the comparison. I would look beyond the head-to-head when comparing these two schools accomplishments overall.

Both schools were in the same geographical area. Both schools were what we sometimes call mid-major, although that is a red-herring for basketball teams. Xavier made the NCAA's almost every year while Archie was at Dayton. In support of Mgk's conclusions, comparisons to Xavier are not very favorable for Li'l Archie.

Xavier as a program has always been good dating back to the Pete Gillen days, followed by Skip Prosser (RIP), Matta, Miller, and then Mack. Dayton has nowhere near the basketball tradition that Xavier has. Archie Miller while at Dayton had the best 4 year stretch the school had seen since the mid-60s. What Archie did at Dayton is very similar to what Xavier accomplished during their time in the A10.

Romeo was 8-13 vs Warren Central, for 35 points. After WC scored the first bucket of the game, Langford scored the next 10. After that, he was mostly doubled each time he touched the ball. WC, probably the states best defensive team, had no answer for him individually.
Still a different level of ball. Romeo was a senior in High school and now he will be a freshman in college and hasn't played one game yet. I do think he is gonna be a great player, but how good as a freshman has to be played out.

Comparisons to Xavier during Mack era all the way back to the Matta era are not very favorable to many programs. Heck, Xavier is right there among the gold standard for achievement by any school that's not a monster budgeted university:

Xavier has appeared in the NCAA Tournament 26 times in the last 32 years, and has won at least a share of their conference title 18 times in the last 32 years.

That's about as good as it gets, regardless of how well Archie Miller or any other coach did or didn't do.

Comparisons to Xavier during Mack era all the way back to the Matta era are not very favorable to many programs. Heck, Xavier is right there among the gold standard for achievement by any school that's not a monster budgeted university:

Xavier has appeared in the NCAA Tournament 26 times in the last 32 years, and has won at least a share of their conference title 18 times in the last 32 years.

That's about as good as it gets, regardless of how well Archie Miller or any other coach did or didn't do.

And in contrast...in the last 32 years Dayton has only made the tournament 9 times, with 4 of them coming from Archie in the 6 years he coached there. Dayton only has 5 conference titles in the last 32 years, 2 of them coming from Archie. Take out Archie's 6 years and Dayton isn't relevant in the slightest. Either way none of that matters. If I recall correctly, the biggest knock on Archie at the time of his hiring was his inexperience in recruiting. Since then he's landed a top 10 class in his first year as IU's coach and hosts 3 top 30 recruits this weekend at their midnight madness or whatever IU calls it these days.

I like coming here to have these types of discussions. I know I'm not going to change anyone's perspective here on IU basketball. I like these discussions though, because it brings up a different perspective than what I have. This leads to thinking about where both sides are coming from and allows me to form a more informed opinion (although still some IU bias;)).

I think some here like having a rival perspective for a similar reason. I could certainly be wrong on that haha.

So Lindy's is saying we are the second best team in the BIG? Interesting. I can see MSU being ranked above us based on raw talent they have amassed. I think many have the suspicion that MSU might not be that good. From what I see, the BIG is wide open for 5-6 teams. Can't sleep on Minny or Nebraska. UM is always good. Whisky is good enough to make a run. Indiana I still have my doubts about. They bring back a bunch of players that did not do very well last year, but add a star freshman. The turtles have talent, and OSU has good coaching and a very young but talented team.

Wide open. Maybe the quirks in the schedule will do more to determine the winner than anything else.

Yeah, I'm gonna take Lindy's predictions with a giant boulder of salt. I remembered from previous years that their predictions have seemed pretty bad. Well, I went back and looked at their preseason predictions from last year, and here's how they had the BIG:

Michigan State
Northwestern
Minnesota
Purdue
Michigan
Maryland
Wisconsin
Iowa
Ohio State
Penn State
Illinois
Indiana
Rutgers
Nebraska

I don't even know where to start on that.....I mean, I guess they got MSU right.....and that's about where it stops. Minnesota and NW as 2 and 3? And they both finished in the bottom 5. Nebraska the worst in the league, and they actually finished 5th. Indiana 12th? Yeah, I'm gonna wait on KenPom.

I can't wait to see Nojel D-up Landford. That's going to be a 'welcome to the rivalry' moment.

Just curious...
here some facts that was left off. Archie’s last 4 years at Dayton
2014 Elite Eight
2015 3 round ( play in game )
2016 lost round 1
2017 lost round 1
5-4
Purdue
2014 lost round 1 CBI
2015 lost round 1
2016 lost round 1
2017 sweet sixteen
2-4
Stats can show a lot. Do I think Archie is better than Painter no. He has to show he can do it year in year out but I think it’s a little over reaching to say he’s terrible.

here some facts that was left off. Archie’s last 4 years at Dayton
2014 Elite Eight
2015 3 round ( play in game )
2016 lost round 1
2017 lost round 1
5-4
Purdue
2014 lost round 1 CBI
2015 lost round 1
2016 lost round 1
2017 sweet sixteen
2-4
Stats can show a lot. Do I think Archie is better than Painter no. He has to show he can do it year in year out but I think it’s a little over reaching to say he’s terrible.
Wouldn’t Archie’s last four years include 2018?

A) Is coaching at Marquette/Indiana (9 seasons) the equivalent of coaching at Dayton/Iu (1 season)?

B) Underwood is such a good coach that he will finish in the bottom 4th of the big ten for the 2nd year in a row.

C)Holtmann and Gard only had those successes once they got to a P5 school.

D) Sampson is a good (but dirty) coach.

E) I would be willing to heavily bet anyone here that IU finishes top 25 in kenpom AdjO.

F) I'll take it a step further and say IU finishes ahead of Purdue in AdjO this season.

Underwood finished 21st at Oklahoma State. In his first year with a roster that was worse than what Archie Miller had last season at Indiana, so I wouldn't hate on him too much. Hes a good coach and youll likely see that this year at Illinois with the talented roster hes assembled.

Butler isnt a power 5 school and Holtman was successful there so I gice him a ton of credit for that. Gard took over a terrible Wisconsin team that everyone assumed was going to miss the tournament and turned them around and got them to the sweet 16 so I give him a ton of credit for that.

Indiana is drawing dead to be top 25 in offense this year. Very little shooting + a roster thats likely to be turnover prone again + Archie Miller has never had a top 25 offense in his career. He tries playing 4 forwards at once all the time and its why his teams consistently rank poorly in turnover %.

-Matt Painter has coached at Purdue for 13 years, in 9 of those years his team finished higher than Archie Miller's best team ever so comparing them is silly. Painter has multiple top 10 teams. Again, Millers best team ever is 39th.

Painter has also had multiple top 10 offenses, including one of the 25 best offenses ever in the KenPom era this past season, and multiple top 10 defenses.

Its just not a fair comparison, Painter has been much, much better.

Off the top of my head:

Chris Holtman at OSU
Cuonzo Martin at Missouri
Kevin Keatts at NC State

All took over rosters similar to Indianas roster this year and got them to the tournament. Missouris was actually a much worse roster than Indianas once they lost Michael Porter JR.

Missouri's roster finished 156th(156!!) in KenPom the year prior to Martin arriving. He immediately got them into the tournament despite losing MPjr for the season.

Ohio States roster was 73rd in KenPom the year prior to Holtman taking over. He elevated them to a top 25 offense and defense and finished 16th.

NC State's roster was 109th the year prior to Keatts taking over. He immediately got them into the tournament and elevated them to 46th.

So thats where Im coming from - you had multiple coaches tasked with rebuilding terrible rosters and did really good coaching jobs.

Holtman should be held in as high regard as Beilein, Painter, Izzo, etc IMO. He was a slam dunk homerun hire for Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT