ADVERTISEMENT

Which BIG teams do you enjoy watching?

Dec 7, 2018
Aurora, Illinois
I feel like the teams in the Big that I enjoy watching is dwindling. Some are downright unwatchable, either because of style of play or inability to shoot(Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana). The teams I enjoy watching are:
Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, and Minnesota
I can tolerate: Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Ohio State.
Don't care to watch: Michigan State, Penn State.
Unwatchable: Maryland, Rutgers, Michigan, Indiana.

I feel like the teams in the Big that I enjoy watching is dwindling. Some are downright unwatchable, either because of style of play or inability to shoot(Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana). The teams I enjoy watching are:
Agreed on the watchable, being someone that lives in Indiana I still like watch the crap Hoosiers, also, add NW to enjoyable, Collins does a great job.

Minnesota and Illinois were both entertaining tonight. I feel like Iowa usually is, too--plenty of offense, not so much on defense. Plus, there's always a chance you'll see a Frantrum.
I dunno. I would say that watching Fran go nuclear is the main show. It's kinda like watching NASCAR for the epic crashes, or hockey for the fights.

I have been down on the B1G for quite some time. I just find it very dull. I'm hopeful the new teams will force some changes, but I think it's more likely they become more like the B1G than the other way around. I watch a ton of college hoops but less and less of the B1G every year.

Nebraska - can be fun if Tomi is going off. I like Fred so cheer for him.
Illinois - Can be a good watch. Can also suck, so a crapshoot.
Minnesota - I have enjoyed watching them some, good to see them getting better.
Iowa - can be a good watch if they are playing well.

Rutgers/IU/Maryland/PSU/Mich/Wisc - I find these unwatchable unless of course they are playing PU.

Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska are the only watchable teams in the league. I'll watch Iowa any time, as they just want to score 150 and almost don't even care if the opposition scores 151. Illinois can be fun and Nebraska when they start knocking down 3s. The rest are just simply terrible. Minnesota trying to sneak into the watchable category though.

I have been down on the B1G for quite some time. I just find it very dull. I'm hopeful the new teams will force some changes, but I think it's more likely they become more like the B1G than the other way around. I watch a ton of college hoops but less and less of the B1G every year.

Rutgers/IU/Maryland/PSU/Mich/Wisc - I find these unwatchable unless of course they are playing PU.

Everyone likes offense.
Be interesting to compare ave pts scored by top 3 teams in various leagues to see what the differences are....if any.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
The thing that probably worries me most is that this may be the worst year of B1G teams that I've seen. Illinois is the only other team, besides us, I see that would make it out of the 1st weekend. All other teams are pretty much garbage. I use to love watching all the teams play, but its very boring, so other than Purdue games, I tend to just look at the box scores.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Everyone likes offense.
Be interesting to compare ave pts scored by top 3 teams in various leagues to see what the differences are....if any.
I think Purdue, Illinois, and Iowa outscore the top 3 of Big East, ACC, and Big 12. SEC is the highest scoring. PAC 12 is close to Big 10 because Arizona scores almost 90/game.

Everyone likes offense.
Agree that good offenses are more fun to watch. That said, it isn't just the lack of offense that is offending (pun intended) it's the style of defense and the lack of variety that makes for a more boring watch.

Very little pressing, MTM almost every possession. Constant grabbing and holding (looking at you NW, Rutgers and Wiscy). I understand that each person has their preference, and for those that prefer the B1G, that is fine. As I flip around each night that PU doesn't have a game, I find I watch and enjoy other conferences more than I do ours. It certainly doesn't mean there aren't train wrecks in other conferences too. That last UNC/Virginia game set back offense 30 years!

I think Purdue, Illinois, and Iowa outscore the top 3 of Big East, ACC, and Big 12. SEC is the highest scoring. PAC 12 is close to Big 10 because Arizona scores almost 90/game.
Weak non- conference sessions generate score. Need to see scores against ranked opponents.

Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska are the only watchable teams in the league. I'll watch Iowa any time, as they just want to score 150 and almost don't even care if the opposition scores 151. Illinois can be fun and Nebraska when they start knocking down 3s. The rest are just simply terrible. Minnesota trying to sneak into the watchable category though.
This is one reason I respect Fran McCaffery. At least he's an offense guy in a league that could use more offense.

Reactions: HUD628
When we're not playing them, I pull for EVERY B1G team except IU and Michigan. Why? Because F*** IU, that's why. :D

To me, fanbases are what they are. It's more about coaches to me, they set the culture for the team.

Brad Underwood is awesome. I'd have my son play for him... Painter first by a mile of course, but I like Underwood.

Izzo. Sure he whines, but he's a legend. We'll miss him when he's gone.

Pikiell... annoying, when he's beating our ass! Otherwise, he's a GREAT coach and I pull for them.

Chris Collins. Hate him... HATE HIM... when we play him. Love him when he's against any other team. A good coach!

Fran is hilarious actually when he's not against us. Like Gene Keady, he's a little out-of-control at times, but I know he cares at least. Ha!

Hoiberg. I worry about him in Nebraska. I think he's really building something there. Love Tominaga and always pull for them when we're not playing them.

Gard is going to be gone soon. He's in trouble...and I think and he's a goofy little man. Screw Gard... but I like Wisconsin in the tournament every year and usually pick them for a good S16 run.

I personally like Woodson, he was a great player, a legend and a good guy by all accounts. But again. f*** IU. :D

No big opinion yet of Rhoades (PSU) Willard (MD) or Johnson (Minny). We'll see who OSU hires.

Juwan Howard. No need to go there. Do. Not. Like. Ha!

Last edited:
The thing that probably worries me most is that this may be the worst year of B1G teams that I've seen. Illinois is the only other team, besides us, I see that would make it out of the 1st weekend. All other teams are pretty much garbage. I use to love watching all the teams play, but its very boring, so other than Purdue games, I tend to just look at the box scores.
agree, the BIG10 has been lackluster and this year is pretty bad. Obviously Purdue is fun to watch, I'll rank Minny 2nd (esp if the game is at the Barn), 3rd I'll go w/ Illini

agree, the BIG10 has been lackluster and this year is pretty bad. Obviously Purdue is fun to watch, I'll rank Minny 2nd (esp if the game is at the Barn), 3rd I'll go w/ Illini
I’m sure there are metrics out there that probably agree with the takes here that the B1G is down this year, but it seems to me, that every stinking season Purdue is in first place in the league, or wins the league, the B1G is down. It’s the exact same narrative that we see on the IU boards. Sometimes the view from up top, forgets the difficulty along the way. And those in the middle or at the bottom, will say anything to make them feel better.

Reactions: PurdueDave
I’m sure there are metrics out there that probably agree with the takes here that the B1G is down this year, but it seems to me, that every stinking season Purdue is in first place in the league, or wins the league, the B1G is down. It’s the exact same narrative that we see on the IU boards. Sometimes the view from up top, forgets the difficulty along the way. And those in the middle or at the bottom, will say anything to make them feel better.
come on now, don't equate me w/ an iu fan, you can't see it's bad don't know what to tell you. I would never detract from our guys don't spin it that way

When we're not playing them, I pull for EVERY B1G team except IU and Michigan. Why? Because F*** IU, that's why. :D

To me, fanbases are what they are. It's more about coaches to me, they set the culture for the team.

Brad Underwood is awesome. I'd have my son play for him... Painter first by a mile of course, but I like Underwood.

Izzo. Sure he whines, but he's a legend. We'll miss him when he's gone.

Pikiell... annoying, when he's beating our ass! Otherwise, he's a GREAT coach and I pull for them.

Chris Collins. Hate him... HATE HIM... when we play him. Love him when he's against any other team. A good coach!

Fran is hilarious actually when he's not against us. Like Gene Keady, he's a little out-of-control at times, but I know he cares at least. Ha!

Hoiberg. I worry about him in Nebraska. I think he's really building something there. Love Tominaga and always pull for them when we're not playing them.

Gard is going to be gone soon. He's in trouble...and I think and he's a goofy little man. Screw Gard... but I like Wisconsin in the tournament every year and usually pick them for a good S16 run.

I personally like Woodson, he was a great player, a legend and a good guy by all accounts. But again. f*** IU. :D

No big opinion yet of Rhoades (PSU) Willard (MD) or Johnson (Minny). We'll see who OSU hires.

Juwan Howard. No need to go there. Do. Not. Like. Ha!

I like Underwood, too. Reminds me of a young Gene Keady. Even built like Gene and scowls like Gene.

I like Pikiel, too. Gets the most out of his guys. Ben Johnson could be the real deal at Minnesota. That team could be really good next year if he can keep it together.

Woodson seems like a good guy. I hope Indiana keeps him around for a while.

Reactions: mean_gene
I like coaches that are trying to build culture and seem to motivate their players and encourage team ball and good D along with offense. Pickiel, Johnson, Hoiberg, Collins is a good coach but dirty tactics and I lost all respect when he grabbed Loyer. Not a Gard fan and something about Underwood bothers me but does a good job coaching.

The teams who (A) have high expectations but (B) are at the bottom of the league are ALWAYS the ones shouting the loudest about the league being “down.” It’s like a weird psychological thing, like the fan version of losing a game and saying, “Well the game is STUPID anyway, I don’t wanna play!” 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT