ADVERTISEMENT

Keep some items in perspective...

Bigohh

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2002
While this game was a great breakthrough win for the Boilers, remember that the Huskers were playing with their little used second string qb who ran an offense that equaled ours in yards gained. The difference in the game was the turnovers which were great. I really thought Shoop called a good game for the most part but have big concerns about how wide open the middle was for passes. If Shoop goes, he can take Hudson with him. Another observation was that some of the best run blocking was by the defensive linemen and linebackers on the fumble recoveries and pics. If our OL ever blocked like that, we could have some real fun running the ball. Our OL guys seem to have forgotten the idea of blocking at the point of attack and seem to want to get downfield looking for a db or cheerleader to hit rather than one of those big ugly DL's or LB's. Hopefully we can build on this victory and have our way with the Illini.

While this game was a great breakthrough win for the Boilers, remember that the Huskers were playing with their little used second string qb who ran an offense that equaled ours in yards gained. The difference in the game was the turnovers which were great. I really thought Shoop called a good game for the most part but have big concerns about how wide open the middle was for passes. If Shoop goes, he can take Hudson with him. Another observation was that some of the best run blocking was by the defensive linemen and linebackers on the fumble recoveries and pics. If our OL ever blocked like that, we could have some real fun running the ball. Our OL guys seem to have forgotten the idea of blocking at the point of attack and seem to want to get downfield looking for a db or cheerleader to hit rather than one of those big ugly DL's or LB's. Hopefully we can build on this victory and have our way with the Illini.

I don't know what a win v. Illinois would mean. They suck. If we beat them then look good the FOLLOWING week, we will be headed in at least a slightly different direction

Reactions: Frankie611
I think it means, a little more confidence for the players, after a BAD season till now, maybe stringing a few "W"s together will give them a boost to at least finish strong, be more competitive, play out the schedule with your head held high. As Boiler fans that is what we ask. A Win is a Win in the Big Ten!!Boiler Up!!

Keep in mind we have an all-conference linebacker on the sideline (and his backup too). Until this week, teams had been gouging us there. Injuries happen and we just need to beat the team that is on the field. Even a beat down Nebraska team has to be equivalent to the Marshall or BG teams we saw earlier. I am not ready to declare "problem solved" but I was happy to see a win. We need to make some progress on the recruiting trail and win at least 2-3 more games this year before I am ready to support the staff going forward.

Support the staff? The staff that has made the last few years the worst ever in Purdue Football, and the team is maybe the worst in Division 1? I will root for my team, but won't support the staff.

I hate when people point out who didn't play for the other team as if that's why we won. In this case it probably played a part, but lets not forget we were down our two best linebackers, and our other solid running back. It was nice to get a win. Doesn't really change my opinions on the staff as this needs to happen consistently for I think anyone to jump back on board. However, I will give them some credit this week as I think it was the first time in 2+ years where the offense played to it's strengths, and played to the skill set of our guys, and the guys made some plays. It was good to see. Defensively we let our DB's play some man and it worked out, instead of the 10 yard cushion lets give up countless first down after first down. I'll give the staff Kudos this week, was the best scheme and gameplan I've seen from them, but it in no way changes opinions or thoughts of them. Will need to see a lot more to end the year for anyone to be remotely pleased with them. Congrats to the team, and it sure is nice to not be pissed off on a Saturday for once!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT