ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith Should Be A Boiler...

You know....I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine. I don't want him. And honestly, I think you'd be disappointed. He hasn't committed or been signed yet, and both Haarms and Eastern have their new homes.
I agree that you won't change my mind.

Now answer the question from my last post. I'll give you my prediction after.

Gillis has only been here one year, so he hasn't had two years to learn the system.

Gillis will not average 10 and 5 next year. Not even close to it. Most of his points will come from behind the arc, and I doubt he hits more than 1.5 3s/gm. I don't expect his knee to get re-injured. However, he is a freshman that was not highly ranked out of high school. There is zero reason to think he could be near 10 and 5 next year.

We take grad transfers all the time that "quit on their teams". I haven't seen anywhere that he wasn't liked by his previous coaching staff or teammates. He would be a great player to bring in that already has been successful in the Big Ten.

I know I run the risk of being on the receiving end of your wrath (not my intent), but I'm not following why you're trying so hard to convince people we need this kid. You sound like his agent. ;)

Smith's production at IU is irrelevant w/r/t what it would be at Purdue. Different team, different system, different everything.

I'm also curious, which of the grad transfers we've had do you think would have been accused that they "quit on their team"?

Reactions: mathboy
I know I run the risk of being on the receiving end of your wrath (not my intent), but I'm not following why you're trying so hard to convince people we need this kid. You sound like his agent. ;)

Smith's production at IU is irrelevant w/r/t what it would be at Purdue. Different team, different system, different everything.

I'm also curious, which of the grad transfers we've had do you think would have been accused that they "quit on their team"?
IMO, we need Smith (or someone like him at the 4/5), because our front court is severely lacking right now. We have Tre who will be phenomenal. After that we have Wheeler who hasn't been good during his time here, and 3 freshman who are obviously unproven. None of the 3 freshman scream instant impact player.

Smith has a proven track record even if not in our system. He can score in the paint and rebound. Additionally, there is zero risk to taking him. He's a one year rental. He could be just what we need, or he isn't either way there is no reason not to take him.

I never said transfers quit on their team. That was all TD. TD said Smith quit on his team because he decided to transfer. Using that logic, every grad transfer we've had (other than Spike) quit on their respective teams. Again, I don't think transferring to seek something different is quitting on your team.

IMO, we need Smith (or someone like him at the 4/5), because our front court is severely lacking right now. We have Tre who will be phenomenal. After that we have Wheeler who hasn't been good during his time here, and 3 freshman who are obviously unproven. None of the 3 freshman scream instant impact player.

Smith has a proven track record even if not in our system. He can score in the paint and rebound. Additionally, there is zero risk to taking him. He's a one year rental. He could be just what we need, or he isn't either way there is no reason not to take him.

I never said transfers quit on their team. That was all TD. TD said Smith quit on his team because he decided to transfer. Using that logic, every grad transfer we've had (other than Spike) quit on their respective teams. Again, I don't think transferring to seek something different is quitting on your team.

Ok, I just watched the video to get the context of the 'quit on his team'.

I'm actually genuinely curious now what you think the scoring breakdown will be for the team next year. Let's assume we don't get a grad transfer.

What do you think each players scoring output would be for next year?
Your question is like you wife asking you if she looks fat in those jeans. There is no right answer.

I see Painter running three guards this year and with the Covid wreaking havoc with practice time this is tough

At center I'd say Tre would would go 16 ppg and 7 rpg
Backing him up is Dow with 3 ppg and 3 rpg (See my note below re EDY)

At SG Hunter will go 12 ppg and 3 apg
Backing him up will be Newman with 6 ppg and 3 assists

At SF Sasha will go 11 ppg and 4 rpg
Backing him up will be Gillis with 6 ppg and 3 rpg

At PG Thompson will go 10 ppg with 6 apg (I think he starts from Day one and is hard to get out of the line up)
Backing him up will be Morton with 7 ppg and 4 apg.

I think Ivey is the fifth starter and averages 8 ppg and 3 rpg.
If Wheeler plays much he'll back up Ivey and, I'll go 5 ppg and 4 rpg (I think he struggles again and is not a starter)

I see Edy red-shirting though we're woefully weak in the paint with Matt gone. I hope hes one of those unexpected surprises

Your question is like you wife asking you if she looks fat in those jeans. There is no right answer.

I see Painter running three guards this year and with the Covid wreaking havoc with practice time this is tough

At center I'd say Tre would would go 16 ppg and 7 rpg
Backing him up is Dow with 3 ppg and 3 rpg (See my note below re EDY)

At SG Hunter will go 12 ppg and 3 apg
Backing him up will be Newman with 6 ppg and 3 assists

At SF Sasha will go 11 ppg and 4 rpg
Backing him up will be Gillis with 6 ppg and 3 rpg

At PG Thompson will go 10 ppg with 6 apg (I think he starts from Day one and is hard to get out of the line up)
Backing him up will be Morton with 7 ppg and 4 apg.

I think Ivey is the fifth starter and averages 8 ppg and 3 rpg.
If Wheeler plays much he'll back up Ivey and, I'll go 5 ppg and 4 rpg (I think he struggles again and is not a starter)

I see Edy red-shirting though we're woefully weak in the paint with Matt gone. I hope hes one of those unexpected surprises
I figured it would be something like this. You have the team at 83 ppg. For reference, last year the team averaged 68 ppg, and the year prior with Carsen Edwards the team averaged 76 ppg. 83 ppg would far and away be the best offensive team Painter has ever had. That doesn't sound very realistic for this team

I came up with 72 ppg. Right in between the last two years.

Tre - 15
Hunter - 12
Sasha - 9
IT - 8
Ivey - 7
Newman - 5
Wheeler - 5
Gillis - 5
Morton - 4
Dow - 2

I think I may be misreading your post. Do you really think 6'2" Jaden Ivey is going to be the starting 4 next year? You say you envision Painter starting 3 guards, yet you list 4 starting guards. I'm guessing you got Gillis and Ivey mixed up?

I watched both games last year, since I couldn’t recall Smith doing much. I just didn’t remember him. Truth is that neither IU forward had much of an impact due to Painter’s defense. TJD did have some impressive moves when he had the chance to freelance. Smith did very little on either defense or offense from what I could see in the highlights.

by the way, when he says Purdue contacted him, odds are 5hat some assistant coach was curious. I doubt Painter called or texted personally. I wasn’t there and don’t know for sure, but it seems the most likely scenario.

Why wouldn't Nevada take him? I would bet he attends one of the schools on that list next year.

He's also not an offensive liability. He scored 10 ppg on 49% shooting. Compare that to the guy you are talking about who scored 5 ppg on 42% shooting. Smith isn't really a threat from 3, but that doesn't mean he's an offensive liability. He would start and compete for the most minutes on the team next season.
I think every team is going to double up on Tre if we don't have another presence underneath to go to on the other side. I would take Smith in a second if he understands his role to play down under. Not sure he is even interested, but I think a veteran like this would be a good addition for our needs.

Reactions: PurduePete98
I figured it would be something like this. You have the team at 83 ppg. For reference, last year the team averaged 68 ppg, and the year prior with Carsen Edwards the team averaged 76 ppg. 83 ppg would far and away be the best offensive team Painter has ever had. That doesn't sound very realistic for this team

I came up with 72 ppg. Right in between the last two years.

Tre - 15
Hunter - 12
Sasha - 9
IT - 8
Ivey - 7
Newman - 5
Wheeler - 5
Gillis - 5
Morton - 4
Dow - 2

I think I may be misreading your post. Do you really think 6'2" Jaden Ivey is going to be the starting 4 next year? You say you envision Painter starting 3 guards, yet you list 4 starting guards. I'm guessing you got Gillis and Ivey mixed up?

This team will be able to score, but defense and especially rebounding will be suspect.

Right now, we have no legit four. Now if Wheeler could play out his backside, he could fill that role but his shot is almost as bad as Nojel's was. But so far all I've seen from him is not much. So, Painter may have to go with a four guard line up, unless Dow or Gillis (my mistake) can play effectively.

I suppose as a last effort Sasha could move to the four, albeit an undersized one. Losing Haarms and Nojel is going to create a lot of problems for this year.

This team will be able to score, but defense and especially rebounding will be suspect.

Right now, we have no legit four. Now if Wheeler could play out his backside, he could fill that role but his shot is almost as bad as Nojel's was. But so far all I've seen from him is not much. So, Painter may have to go with a four guard line up, unless Dow or Gillis (my mistake) can play effectively.

I suppose as a last effort Sasha could move to the four, albeit an undersized one. Losing Haarms and Nojel is going to create a lot of problems for this year.
If we play a 4 guard lineup very often, we may not win 10 games next year. I would imagine Wheeler and Gillis play all the minutes at the 4 next year. Likely still a long year.

Gillis will not average 10 and 5 next year. Not even close to it. Most of his points will come from behind the arc, and I doubt he hits more than 1.5 3s/gm. I don't expect his knee to get re-injured. However, he is a freshman that was not highly ranked out of high school. There is zero reason to think he could be near 10 and 5 next year.

Really?

Whoa..

I am really interested in finding out what Painter was so hot about Mason..

Will soon find out.

Really?

Whoa..

I am really interested in finding out what Painter was so hot about Mason..

Will soon find out.
He said he was the hardest worker in practice. He didn’t say he was going to come in and be a huge impact player...

I found this tweet when searching Justin Smith and Purdue. We offered back in the summer of 2015 during a visit. That was one of his earliest offers in HS. Maybe his first major offer? We do have a history at least:

Ok,so back to my original question: I know we have people on the board who follow tweets and tweets of tweets, know people who know people, etc. So, is anyone hearing anything related to Smith and Purdue?

While I hate iu as much as I hate fire ants, I'd still take their 2nd best player on a 1 year rental.

Ironic this post was made at 4:20....

You don't know anything about basketball if you would rather play a kid who hasn't played organized basketball game in over two years versus a kid who started in the big ten for two years on a one year rental. Smith is certainly limited but to think he'd be less effective than Gillis is mind-blowingly dumb. I doubt he picks Purdue because Painter has seen his game and won't promise him 3's and ball handling opportunities but he would for sure be a huge help and bring experience to a super young team.

Smith and upgrade over Gillis? If he's healed up, he'd take Smith's GF and candy money. Every day.

Ok,so back to my original question: I know we have people on the board who follow tweets and tweets of tweets, know people who know people, etc. So, is anyone hearing anything related to Smith and Purdue?

While I hate iu as much as I hate fire ants, I'd still take their 2nd best player on a 1 year rental.
I have only been told that he wants to play in a very fast paced offense to show off his athletic ability more.

I have only been told that he wants to play in a very fast paced offense to show off his athletic ability more.
Ok, that's good to know. So, how does next years Purdue team look to meet his needs? With Tre on the floor, we'll be more of a half court team, but when Painter goes small or Tre's on the bench, we'll have a pretty uptempo pace and good athletes on the floor. Smith would do well in that scenario.
In addition, he could easily be our starting 4 from day 1. Tre is going to draw a lot of double teams and he's an excellent passer, so Smith would have a lot of opportunities getting to the rim or when we get other teams out of their rotations with the double teaming.

You don't know anything about basketball if you would rather play a kid who hasn't played organized basketball game in over two years versus a kid who started in the big ten for two years on a one year rental. Smith is certainly limited but to think he'd be less effective than Gillis is mind-blowingly dumb. I doubt he picks Purdue because Painter has seen his game and won't promise him 3's and ball handling opportunities but he would for sure be a huge help and bring experience to a super young team.

Exactly. Absolute worst case he's an insurance policy he adds much needed depth to an extremely thin as is front court. Realistically however, he's a peg or two ahead of Wheeler and Gillis and fills a role of need for a single year without affecting scholarship numbers down the road.

Smith seems like a nice player and a minutes eater. But he seems more like a 3, and our greatest need is a 4/5. I don't envision Wheeler as a very physical, in the paint 4. tha t basically would leave tre in the paint being double teams.

As I said, Smith seems like a nice player to add to the mix, but I can't see where he reall y fills a need or improves our team. he'd basically y be taking time away from whoever plays the 3.

it's sort of like you have Aaron Rogers as your starting QB, and you draft another QB rather than a WR or LB . Love fills no current need for the packers. Drafting a LB, WR or DE would have filled a need.

Smith is nice, but not what we need.

If Smith wants to come to Purdue, why not? He will either prove his superiority to our other 4's or not on the practice floor. Our debates here don't mean much, of course. Evidently we had some interest in him as a freshman, but we liked that Anderson kid too. Anderson was a bust at IU, and I really didn't think much of Smith when he was on the floor at IU.

Maybe better coaching will improve Smith's game? I don't know. He was sure ineffective when we played IU, both games. Now, I do think Archie was badly out coached in both games and his kids didn't have a workable game plan against us, so that may have contributed to my poor impression of the kid. In truth, I didn't watch very many IU games so my impression is built on a very narrow sampling. I am more than willing to see the other side of this debate, and maybe if Smith comes here (I truly doubt he comes to Purdue) we can figure this out.

:cool:

What is ironic about 4:20? And I'd much rather have someone on the floor who wanted to be at PU than to take someone who quit their team.

I totally agree we need someone. But that someone isn't a former IU player who quit his team and coach. Besides....he's not a PU type player.
This just doesn't make sense. Do you think any player that transfers "quits their team", or only IU players?

I'd counter that he IS a Purde type player. Really good defensive player with outstanding academics. That screams Purdue.

This just doesn't make sense. Do you think any player that transfers "quits their team", or only IU players?

I'd counter that he IS a Purde type player. Really good defensive player with outstanding academics. That screams Purdue.
If it screams Purdue....why did he wind up at IU when offered by Painter? My guess....he was more interested in the pro's than either IU or PU. He's where he needs to be.....not at PU.

If it screams Purdue....why did he wind up at IU when offered by Painter? My guess....he was more interested in the pro's than either IU or PU. He's where he needs to be.....not at PU.
Just because a player chooses not to come here doesn't mean they wouldn't be a great fit. TJD would be a perfect fit here.

He didn't want to come here either.
Yet earlier in this thread you said you would love to have TJD, Phinisee, and Race Thompson...

And I think you are wrong on all counts. I'd take TJD, and I wanted Phinesee at Purdue. Even Race were he not injured would be a good fit. Smith is lazy, he's been coddled by his parents, and if you think Treed was bad for Nojel, then look no further than the Smiths. Smith knew he wasn't going to play much at IU this year and is taking his ball and leaving. I'm guessing you're one who talked about NE and MH bailing on the Boilers, yet you're willing to take an IU player.

And, as of the end of the season, Dayton was much better than either IU or PU so PT at Dayton would be limited. My opinion.

Would have loved to have them but not enough glitz for the high dollar boys at PU. Honestly, I thought that Phinisee would be a great Boiler. And I said when IU got Thompson they stole a great player.
Race has a good game. Great player? Race is limited as of right now and he's doing a pretty good job with his current abilities. Will he be able to expand his game like great players do....it remains to be seen. Mason has the same capabilities, but add a jump shot. That's what I see out of Mason.

Race has a good game. Great player? Race is limited as of right now and he's doing a pretty good job with his current abilities. Will he be able to expand his game like great players do....it remains to be seen. Mason has the same capabilities, but add a jump shot. That's what I see out of Mason.

Honestly I think Race and Gillis have very similar games. Race is a little bit taller while Gillis is a better outside shooter, but both are good, not great athletes that are very tough-minded and good on the defensive end, at least Gillis was at New Castle.

Reactions: Poprudy
How many of us have bought something because of the sales pitch and later regretted our decision? I have. Maybe some of these kids bought into the coach’s pitch and had buyers remorse.

in the case for the Purdue transfers, I think we know the reasons for the kids leaving. I would not call it buyers remorse.

Do we know why this kid is leaving IU? He was getting playing time so it can’t be that. Maybe buyers remorse? If so, I’ve got no issue with him coming to Purdue, which I highly doubt happens.

How many of us have bought something because of the sales pitch and later regretted our decision? I have. Maybe some of these kids bought into the coach’s pitch and had buyers remorse.

in the case for the Purdue transfers, I think we know the reasons for the kids leaving. I would not call it buyers remorse.

Do we know why this kid is leaving IU? He was getting playing time so it can’t be that. Maybe buyers remorse? If so, I’ve got no issue with him coming to Purdue, which I highly doubt happens.
He wanted to continue to play the 3, and Archie wasn’t going to allow that to happen next year, because he can’t shoot. He left to find a team that will allow him to play on the perimeter and take opponents off the dribble. That’s what the NBA told him he needed to prove he could do. He wasn’t going to be given that opportunity at IU, because it’s not what was best for the team.

He wanted to continue to play the 3, and Archie wasn’t going to allow that to happen next year, because he can’t shoot. He left to find a team that will allow him to play on the perimeter and take opponents off the dribble. That’s what the NBA told him he needed to prove he could do. He wasn’t going to be given that opportunity at IU, because it’s not what was best for the team.
In that case, I doubt he would even consider Purdue. Bad fit. Painter likes shooters.

Reactions: boilerHup
In that case, I doubt he would even consider Purdue. Bad fit. Painter likes shooters.

Not entirely true. Painter has had a lot of bad shooters: Eastern, Kramer, LewJack, Ray Davis, etc.
I think he used to value defense over offense but he's changed his philosophy in the last 5-8 years and knows that guys need to be able to score.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT