ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith Should Be A Boiler...

Yet you kissed Treed's butt non stop, and she is the best example of a shitty parent...SMH
Many of us on here made a point to go out of our way to be polite to a players mom. Nobody kissed her butt, let alone “nonstop”. If you mean some folks were consistent in our position and actions with regard to this person, then many of us fit that mold.

So, what else you got? What piece of wisdom will you share in your 45th post? I can hardly wait.

Reactions: Purdue85
Many of us on here made a point to go out of our way to be polite to a players mom. Nobody kissed her butt, let alone “nonstop”. If you mean some folks were consistent in our position and actions with regard to this person, then many of us fit that mold.

So, what else you got? What piece of wisdom will you share in your 45th post? I can hardly wait.
I lurk on these boards for years...Just post very seldom. Sorry if none of you found his post in the hypocritical nature.

I lurk on these boards for years...Just post very seldom. Sorry if none of you found his post in the hypocritical nature.
You post very seldom, but felt the overwhelming need to chastise another poster for being nice to a player’s mom. Okay. You are welcome to your opinion. However, it seems like a poor subject about which to come out of the closet and make your rare post. Just seems like you could have made a better choice, that’s all.

Reactions: IndianapolisHoops
You post very seldom, but felt the overwhelming need to chastise another poster for being nice to a player’s mom. Okay. You are welcome to your opinion. However, it seems like a poor subject about which to come out of the closet and make your rare post. Just seems like you could have made a better choice, that’s all.
Well, I wouldn't call it an overwhelming need. I think it is great to be nice to a players mom, and then call another players' parents shitty without even knowing them. Do you not find that one bit hypocritical???

I think Smith would be a good addition to the Boiler need in need of some upperclassmen experience.
The guy is what, 6'7, 225, good athlete, active, etc.
If Painter could get him locked in on D and help him find his offense, I think it would be a positive.
(that and it would absolutely drive iu fans nuts, that there might be worth it).

Reactions: BNIBoiler
Well, I wouldn't call it an overwhelming need. I think it is great to be nice to a players mom, and then call another players' parents shitty without even knowing them. Do you not find that one bit hypocritical???
Only for you. Simply because you've been my personal troll. Now hurry along....it's time for your nap with your Kelvin Sampson love doll.

I think Smith would be a good addition to the Boiler need in need of some upperclassmen experience.
If Painter could get him locked in on D and help him find his offense, I think it would be a positive.
(that and it would absolutely drive iu fans nuts, that there might be worth it).
I think Smith should never be in a Black and Gold. Unless it's Vandy, MIssou, or a Division 2 school. He'd be too much of a distraction, which at this point we don't need.

Reactions: Inspector100

I heard from a friends brothers sister that he’s 6’6.75”. Get it right or there will be another fight braking out on these boards. But if he’s wearing shoes with lifts that is a different story.

Reactions: mathboy
Sorry but we're in need of that position next year and it's only for one year yes I would take him in A heartbeat. If he can come and give us 10 points from that position with about 6 rebounds a game that would be much needed. And play solid defense which I think He can because hes athletic he just needs to be taught how to.

We need a wing that can get to the rim. Smith could be that dude. Vince Edwards did it at times but not enough gin my opinion. Hopefully Gillis could be that guy in this current roster. Unfortunately, it is not in Wheeler’s game.

We need a wing that can get to the rim. Smith could be that dude. Vince Edwards did it at times but not enough gin my opinion. Hopefully Gillis could be that guy in this current roster. Unfortunately, it is not in Wheeler’s game.

Smith is a much better athlete than Vince. Painter did a good job of putting Vince in some iso situations and he was a good enough 3pt shooter (which Smith isn't) to exploit the mismatch.

I'm not on the twittersphere, but what's the online world saying about which direction Smith is leaning?
Is Purdue a legit landing spot?
Heard both his parents are IL grads?

Heck I didn’t want Versyp back so no way on this guy. I see him joining the flavor of the month from when everything got shut down.....Dayton.

And count me in on being a NON smoocher.

Right now, I don't believe Smith could play much at Dayton.
You seem to have something personal against Smith. To say he wouldn't play much at Dayton is just ignorant and ill-informed. He would get a lot of playing time on our team and we currently have a better situation at the 4 than Dayton does and that's saying something.

When it comes to IU and their players, I think you just throw shit against the wall and hope it sticks.

Reactions: Riptrain and MDS3
You seem to have something personal against Smith. To say he wouldn't play much at Dayton is just ignorant and ill-informed. He would get a lot of playing time on our team and we currently have a better situation at the 4 than Dayton does and that's saying something.

When it comes to IU and their players, I think you just throw shit against the wall and hope it sticks.
And I think you are wrong on all counts. I'd take TJD, and I wanted Phinesee at Purdue. Even Race were he not injured would be a good fit. Smith is lazy, he's been coddled by his parents, and if you think Treed was bad for Nojel, then look no further than the Smiths. Smith knew he wasn't going to play much at IU this year and is taking his ball and leaving. I'm guessing you're one who talked about NE and MH bailing on the Boilers, yet you're willing to take an IU player.

And, as of the end of the season, Dayton was much better than either IU or PU so PT at Dayton would be limited. My opinion.

Smith is a much better athlete than Vince. Painter did a good job of putting Vince in some iso situations and he was a good enough 3pt shooter (which Smith isn't) to exploit the mismatch.
Vince had a better off the bounce game as a junior in high school than Smith did as a junior at IU. Smith is what he is. A little more athletic version of Wheeler.

And I think you are wrong on all counts. I'd take TJD, and I wanted Phinesee at Purdue. Even Race were he not injured would be a good fit. Smith is lazy, he's been coddled by his parents, and if you think Treed was bad for Nojel, then look no further than the Smiths. Smith knew he wasn't going to play much at IU this year and is taking his ball and leaving. I'm guessing you're one who talked about NE and MH bailing on the Boilers, yet you're willing to take an IU player.

And, as of the end of the season, Dayton was much better than either IU or PU so PT at Dayton would be limited. My opinion.
So many things hilariously wrong with this.

There was a thread not long ago that was bumped from last offseason where you called TJD lazy and said he wouldn't be any good at IU. One of your "friends" was positive he was lazy. Now, you would want him to play for Purdue? Anyone with a brain could have seen TJD was going to be good from the get go and would have been great at Purdue.

You say Smith is lazy, yet academically he would come in as the best student on our team. He was a two time academic All-Big Ten and valedictorian in high school. He had offers from Stanford and other Ivy league schools. You don't get that by being lazy. You also don't score 10pts and grab 5 rebs in the Big Ten being lazy unless you are an unreal talent.

I don't blame either Haarms or Nojel for leaving. Do I think leaving will help them achieve their goals? No. It's their choice to leave though. Losing Nojel really doesn't hurt much. Haarms was a huge loss.

So you are basing that he wouldn't play at Dayton on Dayton being good last year? Once again you show little basketball knowledge. Dayton lost Toppin, Mikesell, and Landers. Those were their starting 3, 4, and 5 last year. They are bringing in two PGs and one SG. The other "big" players on their roster are not great. Smith would play 35+ minutes if he chose to go to Dayton. Do some research before throwing shit out there.

I would love to pick up Smith, and I'm sure Dayton would as well.

Reactions: MDS3
So many things hilariously wrong with this.

There was a thread not long ago that was bumped from last offseason where you called TJD lazy and said he wouldn't be any good at IU. One of your "friends" was positive he was lazy. Now, you would want him to play for Purdue? Anyone with a brain could have seen TJD was going to be good from the get go and would have been great at Purdue.

You say Smith is lazy, yet academically he would come in as the best student on our team. He was a two time academic All-Big Ten and valedictorian in high school. He had offers from Stanford and other Ivy league schools. You don't get that by being lazy. You also don't score 10pts and grab 5 rebs in the Big Ten being lazy unless you are an unreal talent.

I don't blame either Haarms or Nojel for leaving. Do I think leaving will help them achieve their goals? No. It's their choice to leave though. Losing Nojel really doesn't hurt much. Haarms was a huge loss.

So you are basing that he wouldn't play at Dayton on Dayton being good last year? Once again you show little basketball knowledge. Dayton lost Toppin, Mikesell, and Landers. Those were their starting 3, 4, and 5 last year. They are bringing in two PGs and one SG. The other "big" players on their roster are not great. Smith would play 35+ minutes if he chose to go to Dayton. Do some research before throwing shit out there.

I would love to pick up Smith, and I'm sure Dayton would as well.
I'm sure you would love to have him. Again, he needs to go to a much smaller school where he might be the big fish. And in an earlier post....I applauded his academics. That, not a basketball is his ticket.

Oh, and what Boiler player who's been here or coming in would you take minutes away from to allow Mr.Ten and Five playing time?

I'm sure you would love to have him. Again, he needs to go to a much smaller school where he might be the big fish. And in an earlier post....I applauded his academics. That, not a basketball is his ticket.

Oh, and what Boiler player who's been here or coming in would you take minutes away from to allow Mr.Ten and Five playing time?
He would be our starting 4, so I would take minutes away from Wheeler, Gillis, and Dow (assuming Wheeler or Gillis could play some 5). Painter obviously sees some value in Smith as he's reached out. Do you not trust Painter?

What on Earth are you talking about? Smith averaged 30 mpg last year and would have played the same minutes this year. He left not because he wasn't going to get minutes rather he preferred to play on the perimeter, a role IU wasn't willing to give him.

How Dayton finished last year is irrelevant to this coming year. As it stands now, Dayton is set to lose its top 4 players from last year. Justin Smith would likely be the best player on Dayton next year, in fact there's a reason why Dayton was one of two dozen teams to reach out to Smith. I would say you're dishonest but in reality just think you're a dumbass.

Reactions: MDS3

Mr. 10 and 5?? Your expected starter at PF average 3 and 4 last year and shot 25% from the field, all while being a massive liability on the defensive end. Statistically Wheeler was one of the worst players in the B10 last year and the entire country.

Mr. 10 and 5?? Your expected starter at PF average 3 and 4 last year and shot 25% from the field, all while being a massive liability on the defensive end. Statistically Wheeler was one of the worst players in the B10 last year and the entire country.
I fully expect Wheeler t be better this year even if that means just going back to what he did as a Freshman.

I fully expect Wheeler t be better this year even if that means just going back to what he did as a Freshman.

I can't imagine Wheeler playing any worse, but Smith is still an immediate upgrade over Wheeler and Gillis even if it's just for a one year rental.

Last edited:
I can't imagine Wheeler playing any worse, but Smith is till an immediate upgrade over Wheeler and Gillis even if it's just for a one year rental.
That I would agree with. Not to mention it adds depth to our thin front court.

Haven't supported Wheeler's role one bit. He's a liability. But I'm not a supporter of Smith either.

Last edited:
Smith and upgrade over Gillis? If he's healed up, he'd take Smith's GF and candy money. Every day.

Maybe 2-3 years down the road once he's actually got experience under his belt, but next year? Not a chance. Smith can give any team 10+ and 5-6 rpg. You aren't getting that from a freshman who hasn't played in an organized basketball game in over 2 years.

Reactions: bonefish1
Maybe 2-3 years down the road once he's actually got experience under his belt, but next year? Not a chance. Smith can give any team 10+ and 5-6 rpg. You aren't getting that from a freshman who hasn't played in an organized basketball game in over 2 years.
That freshman who has had two years to learn the system vs. a problem who hasn't .

Do you really think Gillis comes close to averaging 10 and 5 next year?
Honestly, I don't know. Could he, sure. Could he reinjure that knee? Sure. Do I think he has the talent to do so, absolutely and I believe he's a much better offensive player than Smith.

Why would you want a player who quit on his team, who isn't liked much by his coach, and according to a twitter post told his team mates that he was leaving this year before the season began.

We know Nevada wouldn't take him. I really doubt Painter would take him having just rid his team of an offensive liability. Good luck to him....I'm guessing not one of those you posted and he said had contacted him have offered anything but best wishes.
Why wouldn't Nevada take him? I would bet he attends one of the schools on that list next year.

He's also not an offensive liability. He scored 10 ppg on 49% shooting. Compare that to the guy you are talking about who scored 5 ppg on 42% shooting. Smith isn't really a threat from 3, but that doesn't mean he's an offensive liability. He would start and compete for the most minutes on the team next season.

That freshman who has had two years to learn the system vs. a problem who hasn't .
Gillis has only been here one year, so he hasn't had two years to learn the system.
Honestly, I don't know. Could he, sure. Could he reinjure that knee? Sure. Do I think he has the talent to do so, absolutely and I believe he's a much better offensive player than Smith.

Why would you want a player who quit on his team, who isn't liked much by his coach, and according to a twitter post told his team mates that he was leaving this year before the season began.
Gillis will not average 10 and 5 next year. Not even close to it. Most of his points will come from behind the arc, and I doubt he hits more than 1.5 3s/gm. I don't expect his knee to get re-injured. However, he is a freshman that was not highly ranked out of high school. There is zero reason to think he could be near 10 and 5 next year.

We take grad transfers all the time that "quit on their teams". I haven't seen anywhere that he wasn't liked by his previous coaching staff or teammates. He would be a great player to bring in that already has been successful in the Big Ten.

I'm actually genuinely curious now what you think the scoring breakdown will be for the team next year. Let's assume we don't get a grad transfer.

What do you think each players scoring output would be for next year?

Gillis has only been here one year, so he hasn't had two years to learn the system.

Gillis will not average 10 and 5 next year. Not even close to it. Most of his points will come from behind the arc, and I doubt he hits more than 1.5 3s/gm. I don't expect his knee to get re-injured. However, he is a freshman that was not highly ranked out of high school. There is zero reason to think he could be near 10 and 5 next year.

We take grad transfers all the time that "quit on their teams". I haven't seen anywhere that he wasn't liked by his previous coaching staff or teammates. He would be a great player to bring in that already has been successful in the Big Ten.
You know....I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine. I don't want him. And honestly, I think you'd be disappointed. He hasn't committed or been signed yet, and both Haarms and Eastern have their new homes.

ADVERTISEMENT