ADVERTISEMENT

Just in case Zack goes pro.

Number 1 on our list is a sharpshooter or even a couple.

We also need an athletic wing. Trey was always advertised as that type of player, but we have been using him more as a back to the basket type of player, more as a 4.

Number 1 on our list is a sharpshooter or even a couple.

We also need an athletic wing. Trey was always advertised as that type of player, but we have been using him more as a back to the basket type of player, more as a 4.
I hope Trey coming into camp is the assumed starter at the 4, kid needs minutes, he’s much more a 4 than a 5. If Edey returns a lineup of Edey, Trey, ?, Loyer, Smith is a good one. Furst backing up both spots, Gillis backing up the 4 and 3, Morton, backing up the 3 and 2 look solid. Colvin, Heide, portal guy are the wildcards, Berg would have to buy his time for a year and Newman is in flux, not sure he’s here much longer. If he is, maybe he’s the 3, one never knows with him?

I hope Trey coming into camp is the assumed starter at the 4, kid needs minutes, he’s much more a 4 than a 5. If Edey returns a lineup of Edey, Trey, ?, Loyer, Smith is a good one. Furst backing up both spots, Gillis backing up the 4 and 3, Morton, backing up the 3 and 2 look solid. Colvin, Heide, portal guy are the wildcards, Berg would have to buy his time for a year and Newman is in flux, not sure he’s here much longer. If he is, maybe he’s the 3, one never knows with him?
I think Furst will transfer

Has anyone seen Trey play for more than a play facing the basket? Is Painter forcing him to play back to the basket? I did not see him play in H.S. So I am asking.

Brandon became much more valuable when his defensive efforts matched his offense. He took over Mortons "main man on D" role and gives it some scoring as well. If he continues to play like he did at the end he's an important cog in the rotation. Some of you been trying to run him off for years now. Give it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathboy and Schnelk
Has anyone seen Trey play for more than a play facing the basket? Is Painter forcing him to play back to the basket? I did not see him play in H.S. So I am asking.
Here this was in high school...2 years ago. Perhaps this will surprise you? ;)

Reactions: Schnelk

He was supposed to basically be Vince Edwards, but it turned out he was Purdue's 2nd best post player. Just how it worked out last year.

Reactions: Poprudy
Here this was in high school...2 years ago. Perhaps this will surprise you? ;)
Thanks, I am shocked, even if it is against high school players. I don't study the players before they come in, just read a bit about them once they are on board. So, I only know what I see. So Painter forced the style of play to match what he does when Edey is in. Hmmm, why not a change up? It also appears that yes, Trey could play when Edey is in, but only if you let him play like he does in the video most of the time. Also, is it the video, or is Trey thicker and slower now??

I also wonder what a nice little turn, facing the basket 10-12 footer would do for Zach and to opposing defenses. Or on the pick and roll, turn and shoot from the top of the key. Defenses would have to honor that. Could he do it, does he? We can't tell from the games!

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
It doesn’t matter who is on the team with Chokin’ Matt Painter as coach. He’ll screw it up once the tourney gets here just like he always does.

Thanks, I am shocked, even if it is against high school players. I don't study the players before they come in, just read a bit about them once they are on board. So, I only know what I see. So Painter forced the style of play to match what he does when Edey is in. Hmmm, why not a change up? It also appears that yes, Trey could play when Edey is in, but only if you let him play like he does in the video most of the time. Also, is it the video, or is Trey thicker and slower now??

I also wonder what a nice little turn, facing the basket 10-12 footer would do for Zach and to opposing defenses. Or on the pick and roll, turn and shoot from the top of the key. Defenses would have to honor that. Could he do it, does he? We can't tell from the games!
after watching the video, he got too muscle bound

First, yes instead of toning up he bulked up and is slower. Originally, he wanted to progress to a three and perhaps he will be thinner next year? Maybe he got the freshman 15 as a redshirt, but whatever it was, it slowed him down. Point is, he was versatile and could be versatile again...if he loses weight. I'm guessing he got heavier and eliminated his chance at a 3 and saw he could get minutes backing up Zach and have a scoring option on the low post. If he lost weight and Caleb developed more of a face up game...they could be lethal playing as two 4s.

Reactions: Schnelk
No, but the system that is in place because of the way the offense revolves around him was.
The system could be tweaked, but in the half court it worked. Players have to hit shots in any system.

Replacing Edey with Furst or TKR won’t address the issues in the full court either.

I really would love to see this same core return with Smith and Loyer a year older. I also think somebody might emerge at the 3. There are plenty of candidates.

Much heavier and especially in the lower body. He is slow now with heavy legs and little "bounce" to his game. Needs to lose about 25 lbs and work on the fast twitch stuff. Whether Edey returns or not, he would benefit from getting more versatile with his game.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
Having a slow low post big man absolutely hinders the offense.
I could take Miami as a comparison. They been winning, in large part, by hitting large numbers of difficult 3 point shot attempts. The 2019 Carsen Edwards team may be an even better example of that. Purdue, this year, on the other hand, lost by missing large percentages of wide open 3 point shots. You don’t see better looks than Purdue was getting. The misses were not Zach’s fault. They also were not the fault of the scheme. Instead, they pointed to an inability of this group of players in this situation to handle the pressure. I don’t know what the fix is for that, but I certainly don’t think it is to replace the most dominant player in the NCAA.

I could take Miami as a comparison. They been winning, in large part, by hitting large numbers of difficult 3 point shot attempts. The 2019 Carsen Edwards team may be an even better example of that. Purdue, this year, on the other hand, lost by missing large percentages of wide open 3 point shots. You don’t see better looks than Purdue was getting. The misses were not Zach’s fault. They also were not the fault of the scheme. Instead, they pointed to an inability of this group of players in this situation to handle the pressure. I don’t know what the fix is for that, but I certainly don’t think it is to replace the most dominant player in the NCAA.
My $.01 that I’ve held for quite a few years is two 4’s. I hoped that when Zach went out that Trey and Caleb would be those two 4s and that they had developed enough offense that both could play the low post as well as go out to 15 and be effective. I could see them depending on match up, one of them going down low and the other out, but none of that happened. Caleb has not added to his offensive game as I had hoped and Trey put on some weight and it slowed him down. Then, with the weight we saw him sub for Zach rather than those two providing a totally different look.

Still, I also recognize that Zach has also been recognized, as quite a player and wins all his 5 match ups and so even though that style isn’t my favorite, it was highly effective. While other teams are taking long 2s and hopeful to get a few buckets at the rim…Purdue always gets that. While other teams are driving the ball and provide more movement than Purdue, they end up taking harder shots typically and rarely get as many good looks behind the arc that Purdue does. So, although the offense is stagnant with Zach to the eyes, his mere presence creates a LOT of good looks for a lot of players. Tall defenders that threaten a dig, but close enough to recover on a Purdue player may give that player hesitation, but is there reason why the Purdue player cannot drive the ball and score other than his own ability? Does the physical and skill limitations of the Purdue players make hit hard for them to score…or does Zach make it hard for them to score?

Sometimes we see this or that in a team and think…wow…so fluid why doesn’t Purdue do that…and it is pleasing to the eyes. Still, the thought process is that if you have the right guys shooting shots within their lethal abilities and those abilities happen with only good looks…shouldn’t that team win if the other team doesn’t get as good of looks? Purdue’s record supports that this year. Rather than wish on this player and that player…which I understand…I wish the coaching staff would figure out “WHY” players shoot poorly with such great looks and I have thoughts, but that is for another day.

Anyway, Zach is Zach and a huge advantage for Purdue, but I would like for Trey and Caleb to provide more than jump hooks, up & unders, dives/back cuts depending on the double defender location. Even if none of this transpires as I wish…if only a 3 provides solid minutes of catching the ball, dribbling the ball, passing the ball, penetrating as needed and scoring in traffic…Purdue should be fine…after all it wasn’t that far from being really good other than poor shooting all year…wishful that the next game it would be good. That 3 man helps with a zone press…as could the 4 man in theory

I know many believe Purdue needs two more guards which would help with practice and if really good, help in games. I can go one guard…but not knowing how the three and fours shake out…I’m unsure about the second guard. This is all O, I’m sure we can list things on D that we wish Purdue would clean up and other things…like maybe doubling the post that some of us wish Purdue would play straight up early in the season some and grow with it

Brandon became much more valuable when his defensive efforts matched his offense. He took over Mortons "main man on D" role and gives it some scoring as well. If he continues to play like he did at the end he's an important cog in the rotation. Some of you been trying to run him off for years now. Give it up.
I like Newman, he’s at a position that’s crowded, someone from that group likely leaves, maybe it won’t be him, I have no clue.

What’s the excuse for last year? The year before?
Since 1980?

Reactions: BoilerDeac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT