ADVERTISEMENT

John Paul Mobley JR .

I may be missing something here... How much of a budget does a coach need to call/Zoom a recruit?
And doesn't Purdue have one of the lower recruiting budgets in the big ten? I'm honestly not sure, but im pretty sure a list has been posted here and we were towards the bottom.

And doesn't Purdue have one of the lower recruiting budgets in the big ten? I'm honestly not sure, but im pretty sure a list has been posted here and we were towards the bottom.
I think research has been done on that in the past and schools account for recruiting budgets differently. I believe the reason our budget is so much lower than most is because we own a private plane that Painter is able to use for recruiting trips. They don’t have to charter one like some schools.

lbodel's graciously posted this information in the past.

I think Purdue is still toward the bottom of the league (9th or 10th) and outside the top 40 nationally. On top of that, Purdue has one of the smallest (if not the smallest) basketball staffs in the conference. The BTN revenue has certainly helped, but it's helped everyone in the conference. I know many are frustrated that Purdue seems to continually play catch-up (at least with regards to basketball). It has gotten better, but there's no good reason Purdue shouldn't be in the top half of the league, IMO. Hard choices to be made certainly - everything can't be priority number one. I'd like to see CMP be able to squeeze for another assistant (with emphasis on recruiting). We shall see.

lbodel's graciously posted this information in the past.

I think Purdue is still toward the bottom of the league (9th or 10th) and outside the top 40 nationally. On top of that, Purdue has one of the smallest (if not the smallest) basketball staffs in the conference. The BTN revenue has certainly helped, but it's helped everyone in the conference. I know many are frustrated that Purdue seems to continually play catch-up (at least with regards to basketball). It has gotten better, but there's no good reason Purdue shouldn't be in the top half of the league, IMO. Hard choices to be made certainly - everything can't be priority number one. I'd like to see CMP be able to squeeze for another assistant (with emphasis on recruiting). We shall see.
Agree with everything you posted. There's no reason a supposed basketball school like Purdue should have one of the smallest staffs in conference. One position we really need to be adding is a recruiting coordinator. Pretty sure we are one of the only conference schools without one.

And for as much grief as Morgan Burke got, he might have really helped us withstand Covid19 better than a lot of schools. I know we are spending more now with Bobinski but we were on pretty solid ground financially. We havent had to furlough or cut programs yet like others. That could still happen though I suppose

And for as much grief as Morgan Burke got, he might have really helped us withstand Covid19 better than a lot of schools. I know we are spending more now with Bobinski but we were on pretty solid ground financially. We havent had to furlough or cut programs yet like others. That could still happen though I suppose
Well, Purdue does have the least amount of athletic programs in the conference. May have something to do with that.

C'mon man. Pre-new budget, CMP would not have looked at an 8th grader from four states away. Why do you need to challenge this thought?
Hah what? It’s not like Painter went to watch this 8th grader play. He at most picked up his phone and called him.

If Painter were flying 4 states over to watch this 8th header play, that would be one thing. Phone calls are free.

a really, really, really great rock band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE MAN...…...
john%20paul%20jones.jpg

I guess ... why ... just ****ing why?
Interestingly I have developed a theory of names over the years. People with same names have similar traits. I worked for 20 years with a petite female raised in a Catholic girls school. I'm sure she was a crossing guard and hall monitor. In the workplace she was the most anal rule follower I ever met. If a rat was ever in play it was always her. Her name was actually Karen so I was not surprised when that became the name for all such persons today.

You win. I quit ... you are brilliant and I am a dumbass
Well I never thought that about you, but this comment is along those lines. Certainly not your most mature comment. A mature response would have been to explain why you think recruiting/calling this kid indicates we are spending more on recruiting.

I indicated I believe this had nothing to do with budget as he wasn’t traveling or spending any money (so far) on this recruitment. So here is your opportunity to make me a dumbass... what of this recruitment indicates we are spending more on recruiting?

Well I never thought that about you, but this comment is along those lines. Certainly not your most mature comment. A mature response would have been to explain why you think recruiting/calling this kid indicates we are spending more on recruiting.

I indicated I believe this had nothing to do with budget as he wasn’t traveling or spending any money (so far) on this recruitment. So here is your opportunity to make me a dumbass... what of this recruitment indicates we are spending more on recruiting?
Your history indicates you've only been around since February but your all knowing argumentative style is reminiscent of previous posters that have been reincarnated under other names.

He emulates James Harden, but with the Ego of a Lebron James. He doesn't look like the player that comes to Purdue, and yeah I know I'm saying this about a 13 year old, but after a short video, the kid looks full of himself.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Your history indicates you've only been around since February but your all knowing argumentative style is reminiscent of previous posters that have been reincarnated under other names.
All knowing and argumentative? I asked how this recruit relates to the recruiting budget. I’ve been on KHC for years.

How much money do you think Purdue has spent recruiting this kid at this point? The answer is $0.
Zero dollars? Probably even less. Painter probably just friended him on Facebook. Then sent him an invoice for his time.

Heck, I doubt Painter took the time to visit this kid or even watch a game even before the virus. That’s how we recruit here at Purdue. How else can we run this operation on the budget we’ve got?

Since you seem to know so much about how we are recruiting this kid, no doubt you can help us understand these budgetary nuances. By the way, before this thread, had you even heard about this high school player? Just asking for a friend.

Zero dollars? Probably even less. Painter probably just friended him on Facebook. Then sent him an invoice for his time.

Heck, I doubt Painter took the time to visit this kid or even watch a game even before the virus. That’s how we recruit here at Purdue. How else can we run this operation on the budget we’ve got?

Since you seem to know so much about how we are recruiting this kid, no doubt you can help us understand these budgetary nuances. By the way, before this thread, had you even heard about this high school player? Just asking for a friend.
No, and no one else had heard of this player either. Those of us on the pay side know the actual physical visits that Painter is making. He has never made one to this recruit, nor should he as this player isn’t even in high school. He’s contacted him. That’s it. There is absolutely no cost in contacting a POTENTIAL recruit. Regardless I’m done with this. You guys can think what you want.

a really, really, really great rock band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only band that was comparable in terms of musical talent were The Who.

John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page were highly sought after session musicians in the early 60s and John Bonham is one of the top drummers of all time.

Most top five lists would have Entwistle and Jones on there for bass, Moon and Bonham for drums, and Page and Townsend for guitar.

Whenever I hear anything off of Led Zeppelin IV it takes me back to my sophomore year at Purdue.

John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page were highly sought after session musicians in the early 60s and John Bonham is one of the top drummers of all time.

Most top five lists would have Entwistle and Jones on there for bass, Moon and Bonham for drums, and Page and Townsend for guitar.

Whenever I hear anything off of Led Zeppelin IV it takes me back to my sophomore year at Purdue.

I know you didn't mean to exclude Plant's talent. All pieces to the puzzle. His voice, and stage presence, inspired many a singer. That band was the embodiment of sex, drugs and rock/roll! They were the greatest...…..hammer of the gods.

I know you didn't mean to exclude Plant's talent. All pieces to the puzzle. His voice, and stage presence, inspired many a singer. That band was the embodiment of sex, drugs and rock/roll! They were the greatest...…..hammer of the gods.

No disrespect to Plant and Daltry. I was just listing the musicians. (In concert, Daltry occasionally picks up a guitar and plays.)

Reactions: PU pit bull
No disrespect to Plant and Daltry. I was just listing the musicians. (In concert, Daltry occasionally picks up a guitar and plays.)

I gotcha. But you have to admit Plant played a mean tambourine LOL......actually he played the harmonica as well.

Through a weird oddness of luck, I met Jason Bonham when he was with the Healing Sixes in Indy. We kind of hit it off ... he wasn't in the area much due to touring, but had some great stories.

I always enjoyed the story of Bonzo playing at the bottom of the stairway on When the Levee Breaks .... then again, no one has been able to do the double kick with just one foot ... and then there's ... and then ...

Reactions: PU pit bull

I was 19 in 1968 and living in Lafayette ... I had not missed a concert at Indiana Beach since 1964 ... Joplin, and so many more ... The Who played there in summer 1968 ... and the hole in the ceiling remained for many years! There is more to this story, but this is enuff for now.

"He said they were all having a party in one of the rooms (with the Who), and Keith Moon slipped off somewhere (he may’ve gone down the balcony). I think he ended up in an elderly lady’s room, and she came knocking at the band’s door, holding onto Keith’s earlobe, trying to return him!” When The Who played Indiana Beach in July of 1968, guitarist Pete Townsend knocked out a large chunk of the ballroom ceiling while destroying his guitar on stage. (It has since been patched but the spot may still be seen in the old ballroom.)

The Chosen Few was a local band that hung out in the Indy/Lafayette area in the mid-sixties. Led Zeppelin took them as an opening band when they toured in '67 or '68, not sure which.

The Gentlemen Bleu (Hanover College guys) and the Boys Next Door ... were other well respected bands in Indiana at that time ... REO was getting going in Champaign. ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT