ADVERTISEMENT

John Paul Mobley JR .

The only band that was comparable in terms of musical talent were The Who.

John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page were highly sought after session musicians in the early 60s and John Bonham is one of the top drummers of all time.

Most top five lists would have Entwistle and Jones on there for bass, Moon and Bonham for drums, and Page and Townsend for guitar.

Whenever I hear anything off of Led Zeppelin IV it takes me back to my sophomore year at Purdue.

Hah what? It’s not like Painter went to watch this 8th grader play. He at most picked up his phone and called him.

If Painter were flying 4 states over to watch this 8th header play, that would be one thing. Phone calls are free.
What do you think costs more, A high school Jr/Sr or an 8th grader? face to face meetings, watching games live for a year or two vs five.

I was 19 in 1968 and living in Lafayette ... I had not missed a concert at Indiana Beach since 1964 ... Joplin, and so many more ... The Who played there in summer 1968 ... and the hole in the ceiling remained for many years! There is more to this story, but this is enuff for now.

"He said they were all having a party in one of the rooms (with the Who), and Keith Moon slipped off somewhere (he may’ve gone down the balcony). I think he ended up in an elderly lady’s room, and she came knocking at the band’s door, holding onto Keith’s earlobe, trying to return him!” When The Who played Indiana Beach in July of 1968, guitarist Pete Townsend knocked out a large chunk of the ballroom ceiling while destroying his guitar on stage. (It has since been patched but the spot may still be seen in the old ballroom.)

I would love to have a beer with you someday and hear your stories!

I got to see The Who, well half The Who, back in October at the Hollywood Bowl. Daltrey has lost his voice but it was still great. Townsend could still play the guitar but when he jumped he only got about 2 inches off the ground.

They had a full orchestra backing them up and they finished with Baba O'Riley.

Speaking of sons of drummers, Zak Starkey played the part of Keith Moon. He actually was pretty good. Townsend talked a lot, which was great. He mentioned that Starkey was actually a student of Moon's, Moon's only student.

Edit: Zak not Richard!

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Dah Day
What do you think costs more, A high school Jr/Sr or an 8th grader? face to face meetings, watching games live for a year or two vs five.
Painter hasn't had face to face meetings or watched this 8th graders games live. He has at most called him on the phone maybe once. Even then it most likely one of the assistants that called. $0

THE MAN...…...
john%20paul%20jones.jpg

He still looks great.

jones.jpg

I got to see The Who, well half The Who, back in October at the Hollywood Bowl. Daltrey has lost his voice but it was still great. Townsend could still play the guitar but when he jumped he only got about 2 inches off the ground.

Speaking of sons of drummers, Richard Starkey played the part of Keith Moon. He actually was pretty good. Townsend talked a lot, which was great. He mentioned that Starkey was actually a student of Moon's, Moon's only student.
August 14, 1968, three days before Woodstock, Janis Joplin played Indiana Beach (with Big Brother and the Holding Co.). While the roadies were setting up the equipment, Janis casually strolled the midway through the games and rides and none of the park visitors bothered her. She later told friends that she “was just having a good old time.” No one hassled Janis, no one asked her for autographs, no one screamed or hollered or caused a scene. Half the people didn’t even know who she was. By the way, a ticket to see Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company sold for $3.10. I would guess there were less than 200 people there.

Speaking of sons of drummers, Richard Starkey played the part of Keith Moon. He actually was pretty good. Townsend talked a lot, which was great. He mentioned that Starkey was actually a student of Moon's, Moon's only student.
Of all the concerts, from Zappa, the Beach Boys, Jefferson Airplane, the one that stands out for me was The Yardbirds' show on Aug. 12, 1966. Jimmy Page on bass and Jeff Beck on guitar. I missed Clapton by about nine months as he left the band in 1965.

Reactions: PU pit bull

Jason Bonham was on drums
Did you catch Jason at the Murat about two years ago? I think it was called The Zeppelen Experience??? Loudest concert I've ever attended. Almost ruined it for me ... but not quite. They did a split-screen with Bonzo on one side and Jason live on the other ... it was amazing

Did you catch Jason at the Murat about two years ago? I think it was called The Zeppelen Experience??? Loudest concert I've ever attended. Almost ruined it for me ... but not quite. They did a split-screen with Bonzo on one side and Jason live on the other ... it was amazing

I missed that. Wasn't even aware. I saw a film of a concert, (Only time Zeppelin played after Bonzo's death?) where Jason was the drummer and they did show some split-screen with Jason and Bonzo drumming.

He emulates James Harden, but with the Ego of a Lebron James. He doesn't look like the player that comes to Purdue, and yeah I know I'm saying this about a 13 year old, but after a short video, the kid looks full of himself.

Come on man.....Did you watch Carsen Edwards play? When you're a badass on the court, it's OK to act like a badass on the court. You want your alpha dog to have some moxie.

Come on man.....Did you watch Carsen Edwards play? When you're a badass on the court, it's OK to act like a badass on the court. You want your alpha dog to have some moxie.

moxie
[ mok-see ]
SEE SYNONYMS FOR moxie ON THESAURUS.COM
noun Slang.
vigor; verve; pep.
courage and aggressiveness; nerve.
skill; know-how.

I do not think that's what Emartin was seeing.

There have been plenty of "alpha dogs" that simply play the game, and play it extraordinarily well.

Reactions: oldboiler52
moxie
[ mok-see ]
noun Slang.
vigor; verve; pep.
skill; know-how.

There have been plenty of "alpha dogs" that simply play the game, and play it extraordinarily well.

also as an example - Pioneer Moxie

-
snaring wild game (such as a pheasant) with simply twigs and string
- starting a roaring blaze simply from rubbing sticks together - fire by constriction
- tracking back to camp using the call of the rare web-footed red- crested Lake Loon

Painter hasn't had face to face meetings or watched this 8th graders games live. He has at most called him on the phone maybe once. Even then it most likely one of the assistants that called. $0
I see your point. You don't see mine? There has to be some thought that goes into recruiting and the costs involved. In the past MP might of passed on a kid that is a long distance away and happens to be very young = a lot of recruiting resources. Now that the recruiting budget has improved some what maybe Coach has a little more money and can stay on on high level recruit even though the cost is going to be high.

Reactions: jimsil13
moxie
[ mok-see ]
noun Slang.
vigor; verve; pep.
skill; know-how.

To each their own. But I want me leader to make sure everyone, especially the opponent, to know who's running the show.

You hit on a great point: to each their own.

I never have responded to a ... "leader" ... who tried to act like a leader.

Let your work speak. Then, you're truly on the path to leadership.

We're talking about 18-22 year olds playing college basketball, not the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

Also, your most productive player might not necessarily be the team leader. Often times he is, but not always.

We're talking about 18-22 year olds playing college basketball, not the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

Also, your most productive player might not necessarily be the team leader. Often times he is, but not always.

You are correct about the age (actually, younger, I believe). The principles aren't any different.

And, no, the most productive might not necessarily be the leader, but that doesn't change the point.

Edit:
I love "leaders" like this:

tenor.gif

Reactions: PU pit bull
also as an example - Pioneer Moxie

-
snaring wild game (such as a pheasant) with simply twigs and string
- starting a roaring blaze simply from rubbing sticks together - fire by constriction
- tracking back to camp using the call of the rare web-footed red- crested Lake Loon

- also taking in a good ghost story with out being frightened
2e6155f71bedab8365a86e88e033d40a.jpg

moxie
[ mok-see ]
noun Slang.
vigor; verve; pep.
skill; know-how.

Yeah, but he's a bit of a show boat for being 13. A little modesty would show maturity.

Reactions: Purdue85
August 14, 1968, three days before Woodstock, Janis Joplin played Indiana Beach (with Big Brother and the Holding Co.). While the roadies were setting up the equipment, Janis casually strolled the midway through the games and rides and none of the park visitors bothered her. She later told friends that she “was just having a good old time.” No one hassled Janis, no one asked her for autographs, no one screamed or hollered or caused a scene. Half the people didn’t even know who she was. By the way, a ticket to see Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company sold for $3.10. I would guess there were less than 200 people there.
You and I have a lot in common with those Indiana Beach concerts. I went to the Janis and Big Brother concert with some fraternity brothers who had a band. She was so special. Never heard anyone "feel" the blues like Janis. After the show we hung out with the band in an old touring bus. She was drinking Southern Comfort from paper cups straight. She wasn't much to look at but man could she sing. I also had a special night in indy at the fairgrounds watching Chicago Transit Authority open for Jimi. Front row seats.

You and I have a lot in common with those Indiana Beach concerts. I went to the Janis and Big Brother concert with some fraternity brothers who had a band. She was so special. Never heard anyone "feel" the blues like Janis. After the show we hung out with the band in an old touring bus. She was drinking Southern Comfort from paper cups straight. She wasn't much to look at but man could she sing. I also had a special night in indy at the fairgrounds watching Chicago Transit Authority open for Jimi. Front row seats.
AWESOME!! Were you a Sig? Seems like they had a band going then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT