ADVERTISEMENT

John Paul Mobley JR .

LOL

True story: During that era, my grandfather kept two quarters in his truck glove box, in case he ran out of gas.

I would love to have that '68 Nova of yours...!
you and me both. I kept it as long as I could ... then the wife got pregnant !

Reactions: Purdue85
You and I have a lot in common with those Indiana Beach concerts. I went to the Janis and Big Brother concert with some fraternity brothers who had a band. She was so special. Never heard anyone "feel" the blues like Janis. After the show we hung out with the band in an old touring bus. She was drinking Southern Comfort from paper cups straight. She wasn't much to look at but man could she sing. I also had a special night in indy at the fairgrounds watching Chicago Transit Authority open for Jimi. Front row seats.

Chicago was another outstanding band. Not a bad song in the bunch. Terry Kath was a phenomenal talent...…..Hendrix said he was a better guitarist than himself. Those had to be some great concerts.

but gas was a quarter and minimum wage $1.75 (I think). My first car was a new '68 Nova. $1,680.

Yummy!!!!!
ebay656798.jpg

Chicago was another outstanding band. Not a bad song in the bunch. Terry Kath was a phenomenal talent...…..Hendrix said he was a better guitarist than himself. Those had to be some great concerts.
Chicago gave great concerts, but I just never was able to connect with their music. It wasn’t them, it was me. I just never enjoyed it. Yep, I’m weird like that. Maybe it was that one roommate that played Chicago incessantly, and nobody else. Seemed like after that semester, I couldn’t stand them, and that dislike stuck!

Reactions: PU pit bull
Chicago gave great concerts, but I just never was able to connect with their music. It wasn’t them, it was me. I just never enjoyed it. Yep, I’m weird like that. Maybe it was that one roommate that played Chicago incessantly, and nobody else. Seemed like after that semester, I couldn’t stand them, and that dislike stuck!

There's been groups, especially recently, that some people are infatuated with....and I could care less. It happens. I have a sister who dislikes Steely Dan, and I just have to SMH at her LOL!

I have a sister who dislikes Steely Dan, and I just have to SMH at her LOL!
Is your sister younger than you? Steely seems to be a place and time band where Zep, Tull and all the classics (Even Kath Chicago) you’ve been talking about are tunes even my 16 yo son knows.

Didn’t mean to interrupt my elders, I’m just a music nerd that likes to get different viewpoints.

Is your sister younger than you? Steely seems to be a place and time band where Zep, Tull and all the classics (Even Kath Chicago) you’ve been talking about are tunes even my 16 yo son knows.

Didn’t mean to interrupt my elders, I’m just a music nerd that likes to get different viewpoints.
I would agree about Steely Dan not being in the same mold. Just to mess around, I just scanned four listings of either the top 50 or top 100 rock bands of all time. Other than the top 15 or so, there was not much agreement, but Steely Dan was not on any of them.

Once you get past the top 5 let's say, the debate about where do you put Rush, or Cream, or The Band, or U2 or The Dead, or The Doors, or The Byrds, or Joplin, the Ramones, Hendrix, The Eagles, CCR, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis (either Gabriel or Collins), Neil Young, Dylan ... and the beat goes on ...

unfortunately, mine was a small block 350. Those Yenko cars were crazy! The guy that owns the Rathskeller in Indy owns 6 or 8 Yenko cars. He has one of the original Mako Sharks . . .

Must admit, I'm a Mopar guy...…..but I do like a lot of those Chevys.....and Olds…..and Pontiac......and.....
Oh well, I like them all......but can't afford any of them. Maybe someday...….
BTW, nothing wrong a small block!

Must admit, I'm a Mopar guy...…..but I do like a lot of those Chevys.....and Olds…..and Pontiac......and.....
Oh well, I like them all......but can't afford any of them. Maybe someday...….
BTW, nothing wrong a small block!
The three sons of the guy who owned the giant salvage yard on 38 just SE of 52 were HUGE MoPar guys. a couple of '66 Hemi Satellites, An A12 Roadrunner that I remember well, a Hemi Dart and a Hemi 'cuda scattered amongst them. I can't remember their names now, but they and the Findleys had some nice muscle in the late sixties.

I would agree about Steely Dan not being in the same mold. Just to mess around, I just scanned four listings of either the top 50 or top 100 rock bands of all time. Other than the top 15 or so, there was not much agreement, but Steely Dan was not on any of them.

Once you get past the top 5 let's say, the debate about where do you put Rush, or Cream, or The Band, or U2 or The Dead, or The Doors, or The Byrds, or Joplin, the Ramones, Hendrix, The Eagles, CCR, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis (either Gabriel or Collins), Neil Young, Dylan ... and the beat goes on ...

It is a helluva debate, and really just comes down to personal preference on down the line. Music conjures up so many memories...…..joy, sorrow, invincibility, etc. Every day I hear a song that, just for a few minutes, turns me into a vegetable...….gazing out the window thinking of a girl or an incident in high school, or my dad, etc. What would we do with out it?
BTW, Steely Dan just has such an interesting sound IMO...…….once again, a personal preference I guess.

My sister, one of 3, is 8? years older. She's a rocker...…..if Back in Black comes on...….look out!

The three sons of the guy who owned the giant salvage yard on 38 just SE of 52 were HUGE MoPar guys. a couple of '66 Hemi Satellites, An A12 Roadrunner that I remember well, a Hemi Dart and a Hemi 'cuda scattered amongst them. I can't remember their names now, but they and the Findleys had some nice muscle in the late sixties.

Yes please!
69+Dodge+Charger+R+T+Hardtop+-+Front+Grill+View.jpg

My sister, one of 3, is 8? years older. She's a rocker...…..if Back in Black comes on...….look out!
Interesting. My sister is 3 years older and thought the Dan was the tits. Back in Black was my era and somehow I talked my fundamentalist Christian aunt into buying it for me the Christmas it came out.

I was more of a Black Sabbath, Zep, Tull and Pink Floyd guy in 1980. I was too young to understand the late 60s and early 70s music situation but knew it had to be better than the disco era.

It is a helluva debate, and really just comes down to personal preference on down the line. Music conjures up so many memories...…..joy, sorrow, invincibility, etc. Every day I hear a song that, just for a few minutes, turns me into a vegetable...….gazing out the window thinking of a girl or an incident in high school, or my dad, etc. What would we do with out it?
BTW, Steely Dan just has such an interesting sound IMO...…….once again, a personal preference I guess.
I like Steely Dan a lot. There are so many songs that bring up specific places, people, adventures -- emotions attached to each one.

My first new car was a 73 Nova that I ordered. Don't remember the last time I heard of somebody ordering a car to their liking. Had it til about 77 when a growing family and being unemployed had an effect. Was fortunate to see Chicago, Blood,Sweat and Tears, BB King, Three Dog Night, the Temps, Smokey and the Miracles and several others at Purdue for $3.50 a ticket in the early 70s.

I've mentioned this before but the Yes show at Mackey was phenomenal. Must have been around '79? There's music I listen to now that I didn't really appreciate so much back in the day. The Terry Kath Chicago is some of that. I love them now more than ever. I can still remember reading about his death in the News Sentinal back in about '78? I've heard the JH comment regarding TK before too.
Too many great bands and albums to go into here. I'll save that for some other time over beers with anybody who love classic R n R.

I tend to agree, DDD.....plus a lot of personal preferences....I could never really get into The Dead or The Doors, although I've come to appreciate/like some of it over the years, especially The Doors.... I was always partial to Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, and ELO.....and later The Rolling Stones. Our High School basketball home games would open up with Heartache Tonight.

Love Chicago too.....some of those melodies get stuck in your head like the prelude in Alive Again.

I like Steely Dan a lot. There are so many songs that bring up specific places, people, adventures -- emotions attached to each one.

Love Steely Dan.....a good friend older Purdue grad and a helluva pick-up BB player couldn't stop playing Dirty Work. A bit of useless trivia here (fellas, you know I can't resist). Donald Fagen had a band in college, and the drummer? None other than Chevy Chase.

I've mentioned this before but the Yes show at Mackey was phenomenal. Must have been around '79? There's music I listen to now that I didn't really appreciate so much back in the day. The Terry Kath Chicago is some of that. I love them now more than ever. I can still remember reading about his death in the News Sentinal back in about '78? I've heard the JH comment regarding TK before too.
Too many great bands and albums to go into here. I'll save that for some other time over beers with anybody who love classic R n R.

Compared to most, I haven't been to that many concerts, and I'd probably not be considered a R & R connoisseur, but I've seen some really good ones. Best ever for me was Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels when they played @ the old Hoosier Dome....on a lark, four of us friends got tickets through a lottery system.....fourth row.....center....on the floor.....freaking unbelievable......opened with a flash of flames and Jumpin Jack Flash......Honky Tonk Woman was awesome as was the entire show. My girlfriend at the time had a great experience and was "appreciative," and I'll leave it at that.

Saw ZZ Top @ Market Square Arena.....superb entertainment.

Ahhhh....the Good old days.

I tend to agree, DDD.....plus a lot of personal preferences....I could never really get into The Dead or The Doors, although I've come to appreciate/like some of it over the years, especially The Doors.... I was always partial to Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, and ELO.....and later The Rolling Stones. Our High School basketball home games would open up with Heartache Tonight.

Love Chicago too.....some of those melodies get stuck in your head like the prelude in Alive Again.

Love Steely Dan.....a good friend older Purdue grad and a helluva pick-up BB player couldn't stop playing Dirty Work. A bit of useless trivia here (fellas, you know I can't resist). Donald Fagen had a band in college, and the drummer? None other than Chevy Chase.

Compared to most, I haven't been to that many concerts, and I'd probably not be considered a R & R connoisseur, but I've seen some really good ones. Best ever for me was Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels when they played @ the old Hoosier Dome....on a lark, four of us friends got tickets through a lottery system.....fourth row.....center....on the floor.....freaking unbelievable......opened with a flash of flames and Jumpin Jack Flash......Honky Tonk Woman was awesome as was the entire show. My girlfriend at the time had a great experience and was "appreciative," and I'll leave it at that.

OH hell ... I forgot ELO!!! SHAME on me ... so, full transparency, the six CDs in my car changer are:
Jackson Brown
Bad Company
ELO
Elton John
Fleetwood Mac
The Eagles

In my late 20s and love all of that music. Grew up in the wrong music era for sure. Saw Bob Seger and Peter Frampton last year. Both solid shows.

Kath's daughter Michelle did a documentary on him, The Terry Kath Experience, which is pretty good. She was 20 months old when he died.

My first car was a '68 Firebird I bought in '72. I think I paid around $1,500 for it. Loved that car--wish I still had it!

Everyone was camaro……..but I really liked those Firebirds!!!!
How do you not love this???
13254727-1968-pontiac-firebird-std_f.jpg

And, yes, I'm partial to the greens, browns, burnt oranges!!!!

Reactions: Schnelk

You are always good for trivia Tex! But I knew that one!!! Partly because I like Steely Dan..... and Chevy Chase!
BTW, what is a Steely Dan?? Do you know?

YES is another great band. Very fundamentally sound progressive group. I love all their old stuff, but have no problem with their 90125 and BIG GENERATOR type albums. " Shoot high, aim low" brings back a ton of memories....so does Owner of Lonely Heart, Rhythm of Love, etc
YES is in that category with Genesis, Rush, etc that have kind of fallen thru the cracks on many radio stations. The Cars, Billy Squire, The Police, etc. all fit into that category...…..and those are some damn good groups!!!!!!!
All good music being discussed here!!!!

ROCK ON!
tumblr_mrtkcwt5AG1sphrggo1_400.gif

You are always good for trivia Tex! But I knew that one!!! Partly because I like Steely Dan..... and Chevy Chase!
BTW, what is a Steely Dan?? Do you know?

I'll let you answer that one Pit.....some of the Board "visitors" might be interested. I had originally thought it was a reference to a weapon of some sort.

I'll let you answer that one Pit.....some of the Board "visitors" might be interested. I had originally thought it was a reference to a weapon of some sort.

I'll let someone else with writing skills answer it LOL!
What Is a Steely Dan?
Although Steely Dan's music was rooted in jazz and blues, the band's name came from a literary source--Edgar Burroughs' novel "Naked Lunch," which made mention of a "steely dan," a steam-powered adult toy. This playful reference fit perfectly within the framework of Steely Dan's angular arrangements and Fagen's often bitingly cynical and sarcastic lyrics.

I'll let someone else with writing skills answer it LOL!
What Is a Steely Dan?
Although Steely Dan's music was rooted in jazz and blues, the band's name came from a literary source--Edgar Burroughs' novel "Naked Lunch," which made mention of a "steely dan," a steam-powered adult toy. This playful reference fit perfectly within the framework of Steely Dan's angular arrangements and Fagen's often bitingly cynical and sarcastic lyrics.

... nicely done...!

Reading through this last page brought back all kinds of memories. Music and those cars. Thanks guys!

I grew up in a GM town. Being the contrarian that I am, my first car was a 66 mustang GT fastback. ...and yes, I wish I still had that car. I did some stuff to it and I had a speed shop over in Muncie work on it a bit. It was fast for its time. It’s a wonder I didn’t get killed in the thing. Dark green with subtle white stripes on the rocker panel. Great car.

There was no real way for me to keep it though. Between kids and rust it was gone. Every part of that car rusted away. Oh well.

if you haven’t been to the Detroit dream cruise, you need to get there. All that music, and more restored cars than you can believe.

Reading through this last page brought back all kinds of memories. Music and those cars. Thanks guys!

I grew up in a GM town. Being the contrarian that I am, my first car was a 66 mustang GT fastback. ...and yes, I wish I still had that car. I did some stuff to it and I had a speed shop over in Muncie work on it a bit. It was fast for its time. It’s a wonder I didn’t get killed in the thing. Dark green with subtle white stripes on the rocker panel. Great car.

There was no real way for me to keep it though. Between kids and rust it was gone. Every part of that car rusted away. Oh well.

if you haven’t been to the Detroit dream cruise, you need to get there. All that music, and more restored cars than you can believe.

26160272.jpg

Reactions: Schnelk and mathboy
Since this thread is totally jacked ... I'll add a local story. The Lafayette Speed Shop in the Sixties was named Arndt's ... and the son of the owner's name was King - King Arndt. I asked the dad one time where the name King came from, and he smiled and said "That was my favorite dog's name."

I was at that Yes concert where they had the revolving stage.

I also saw Manassas in Mackey

Since this thread is totally jacked ... I'll add a local story. The Lafayette Speed Shop in the Sixties was named Arndt's ... and the son of the owner's name was King - King Arndt. I asked the dad one time where the name King came from, and he smiled and said "That was my favorite dog's name."

Wow... forgot about them.

I think I bought a motorcycle helmet from them, way back when...

ADVERTISEMENT