ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Brunk transferring from Butler

How do you figure IU is in a better spot than a month ago? You lost Morgan, you lost Langford, my guess is you're going to have others transfer than already have, and you still have a coach that knows nothing about recruiting. Archie should have stayed in Dayton.
I think he’s referring to the position they are in to grab Watford, which I agree with.

How do you figure IU is in a better spot than a month ago? You lost Morgan, you lost Langford, my guess is you're going to have others transfer than already have, and you still have a coach that knows nothing about recruiting. Archie should have stayed in Dayton.
Wtf are you talking about? I was saying IU is in a better spot with Watford than they were a month ago.

Reactions: BoilerIron
I think he means “in better shape” for recruiting this kid. Not overall. In fact I think IU will struggle more next year. Those injured players might return, but they will have almost no experience. Mostly freshman level experience for almost all the team of perspective starters except Phinny.

Reactions: Roeder
IU fan here. First things first, congrats Boilers on your recent season. That was excellent team basketball and thoroughly enjoyed the way you guys played in the tournament. Hats off to Painter.

Since this specific thread has turned into IU and recruiting figured I'd chime in.

1) Joey Brunk is probably a lock to Indiana. Clifton Moore (Friday) and Jake Forrester within the last hour have transferred out of Indiana. While I'm not sold on Joey Brunk, he is at least an upgrade from either of those two and should split time with Davis at the 5 who has not shown the capability to stay healthy for a full year.

2) Regarding Books. Brooks was a heavy IU lean at the start of the season right up to the first of the year. Michigan State was thought to be the original favorite for almost a year and a half, but they cancelled Brooks official visit shortly after Michigan State landed Malik Hall. This is right around the time IU became the favorite. IU went on a terrible slide and Brooks visited Kentucky the night they blew out Tennessee. If you can recall, UK had two players that were already committed at the same position; Khalil Whitney who is the 7th rated prospect according to 247 Composite and Dontaie Allen who arguably had the most impressive summer on the AAU circuit and shot up the rankings. Allen tore his ACL during his senior season and his status for the start of the year is unknown. This opened up room for Brooks to less competition. I won't say with conviction that it was down to IU and UK, but MSU was out of the running when Brooks cancelled a second visit the day after his UK visit.

3) Regarding Watford. From what I hear, up until about a month ago when the Wade story broke and Johnson at Alabama was on the hottest of seats, there was minimal contact between IU and Watford. IU was all-in on Brooks and Watford's offer was more as a show of respect to his brother Christian. IU was in a lot better shape with Trendon when Crean was still the head coach. With Wade likely out of a job, Johnson gone, and Brooks committed to UK, IU has recently shown more interest. He's still a long shot though.

4) Regarding Leal. Leal's parents both work at IU and he is going to hold out until the day IU tells him there isn't a scholarship. I don't necessarily agree with this because I think he would be a great 4 year player, but Indiana is all-in on Ethan Morton who is simply a better version of Leal. I still suspect there's a chance you see both Morton and Leal in Bloomington as I believe there are still more scholarships that will become available. I wouldn't be surprised to see Damezi transfer before it's all said and done either in the coming weeks or next year. Just tough ever seeing him seeing the floor.

IU fan here. First things first, congrats Boilers on your recent season. That was excellent team basketball and thoroughly enjoyed the way you guys played in the tournament. Hats off to Painter.

Since this specific thread has turned into IU and recruiting figured I'd chime in.

1) Joey Brunk is probably a lock to Indiana. Clifton Moore (Friday) and Jake Forrester within the last hour have transferred out of Indiana. While I'm not sold on Joey Brunk, he is at least an upgrade from either of those two and should split time with Davis at the 5 who has not shown the capability to stay healthy for a full year.

2) Regarding Books. Brooks was a heavy IU lean at the start of the season right up to the first of the year. Michigan State was thought to be the original favorite for almost a year and a half, but they cancelled Brooks official visit shortly after Michigan State landed Malik Hall. This is right around the time IU became the favorite. IU went on a terrible slide and Brooks visited Kentucky the night they blew out Tennessee. If you can recall, UK had two players that were already committed at the same position; Khalil Whitney who is the 7th rated prospect according to 247 Composite and Dontaie Allen who arguably had the most impressive summer on the AAU circuit and shot up the rankings. Allen tore his ACL during his senior season and his status for the start of the year is unknown. This opened up room for Brooks to less competition. I won't say with conviction that it was down to IU and UK, but MSU was out of the running when Brooks cancelled a second visit the day after his UK visit.

3) Regarding Watford. From what I hear, up until about a month ago when the Wade story broke and Johnson at Alabama was on the hottest of seats, there was minimal contact between IU and Watford. IU was all-in on Brooks and Watford's offer was more as a show of respect to his brother Christian. IU was in a lot better shape with Trendon when Crean was still the head coach. With Wade likely out of a job, Johnson gone, and Brooks committed to UK, IU has recently shown more interest. He's still a long shot though.

4) Regarding Leal. Leal's parents both work at IU and he is going to hold out until the day IU tells him there isn't a scholarship. I don't necessarily agree with this because I think he would be a great 4 year player, but Indiana is all-in on Ethan Morton who is simply a better version of Leal. I still suspect there's a chance you see both Morton and Leal in Bloomington as I believe there are still more scholarships that will become available. I wouldn't be surprised to see Damezi transfer before it's all said and done either in the coming weeks or next year. Just tough ever seeing him seeing the floor.

Thank you for your perspective. I don't know how much of a lock Joey Brunk is, but your explanation makes sense. It is refreshing to hear the side of someone else.

Thank you for your perspective. I don't know how much of a lock Joey Brunk is, but your explanation makes sense. It is refreshing to hear the side of someone else.

I think Forrester and Moore transferring out is the noise for me. Moore and Forrester would have gotten decent minutes at the 5 next year as D. Davis can't physically play 30 minutes a game.

If Moore, Forrester, and Anderson transfer as rumored, and Langford goes pro as expected, the top 10 class from last year will essentially have decayed to a very poor recruiting class.

Not necessarily. Moore was a sophomore and not in last years top 10 class. Forrester was a project from the start that they added late once Curtis Jones (transferred to OK State). Romeo was always going to be one and done. Phinisee showed TONS of promise this year, especially late and once healthy, and in my opinion has the ability to be an all-conference guard as an upperclassmen. Hunter was a fringe top 50 recruit who had to redshirt due to injury. He would have replaced Justin Smith in the starting lineup had he been healthy and he also has a very good skill set with NBA athleticism. Anderson would be the one disappointment as I figured he'd turn into a solid rotation player as an upperclassmen but he was the 4th highest rated recruit in that class out of 5. If Phinisee and Hunter play to their potential it will have been a very solid class for IU when all said and done.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Yeah, you're correct. But neither of those kids can do what IU needs. Romeo can't shoot, but yet they tried to make him shoot.

TJD is a top 25 guy nationally, but how is is going to look if IU can't get him to the NBA in two years?

McDonald's All-American's aren't 4-year players. But yet Romeo looks as if he needs another year skill wise (he's declaring), and TJD isn't going to gain the skills he needs in Archie's system. I spoke with a couple people who know the deal and I wouldn't be surprised to hear some surprising things in a few years.

Edit: I can't spell.

Disagree with you there. If TJD takes on the progression/development of Juwan Morgan he’ll be in the NBA in 2 years or less. Morgan went from seldom used wing player under Crean to one of the best forwards in the Big Ten these last 2 years. Unfortunately, there just isn’t much room for a 6-7 PF in the NBA. TJD has NBA size, if he develops like Morgan he’ll be a first round pick and that’s all you can ask for.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
ac
Not necessarily. Moore was a sophomore and not in last years top 10 class. Forrester was a project from the start that they added late once Curtis Jones (transferred to OK State). Romeo was always going to be one and done. Phinisee showed TONS of promise this year, especially late and once healthy, and in my opinion has the ability to be an all-conference guard as an upperclassmen. Hunter was a fringe top 50 recruit who had to redshirt due to injury. He would have replaced Justin Smith in the starting lineup had he been healthy and he also has a very good skill set with NBA athleticism. Anderson would be the one disappointment as I figured he'd turn into a solid rotation player as an upperclassmen but he was the 4th highest rated recruit in that class out of 5. If Phinisee and Hunter play to their potential it will have been a very solid class for IU when all said and done.
I agree about Phinisee becoming a pretty good guard. He had moments this year. As for Watford, I think Oates is going to talk him into staying in Alabama.

Oates and his assistants actually traveled to Destin, Florida to visit Trendon Watford and Offered him while Watford was on vacation there. That's going a step above.

Last edited:
Disagree with you there. If TJD takes on the progression/development of Juwan Morgan he’ll be in the NBA in 2 years or less. Morgan went from seldom used wing player under Crean to one of the best forwards in the Big Ten these last 2 years. Unfortunately, there just isn’t much room for a 6-7 PF in the NBA. TJD has NBA size, if he develops like Morgan he’ll be a first round pick and that’s all you can ask for.
Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. They are both different players.

c
I agree about Phinisee becoming a pretty good guard. He had moments this year. As for Watford, I think Oates is going to talk him into staying in Alabama.

Could be the case. It’s down to Memphis or hometown Alabama. Memphis is bringing in a bunch of frontcourt players but he has a strong connection with the Memphis staff as he played for Mike Miller’s (former NBA player now Memphis assistant) AAU sponsored team which is coached by Miller’s cousin. There’s a ton of influence to go to Memphis plus he’s very familiar and comfortable with the Tiger staff. Alabama allows him to be the hometown hero and star of the team but we know that sometimes it doesn’t always work out that way. I think he chooses Memphis.

Could be the case. It’s down to Memphis or hometown Alabama. Memphis is bringing in a bunch of frontcourt players but he has a strong connection with the Memphis staff as he played for Mike Miller’s (former NBA player now Memphis assistant) AAU sponsored team which is coached by Miller’s cousin. There’s a ton of influence to go to Memphis plus he’s very familiar and comfortable with the Tiger staff. Alabama allows him to be the hometown hero and star of the team but we know that sometimes it doesn’t always work out that way. I think he chooses Memphis.
Well Oates certainly has the big stage right now. And I'd guess the trip to Fla. couldn't hurt. But...playing for Memphis does have it's draw too.

I think he means “in better shape” for recruiting this kid. Not overall. In fact I think IU will struggle more next year. Those injured players might return, but they will have almost no experience. Mostly freshman level experience for almost all the team of perspective starters except Phinny.
If there are no more additions, I agree we will struggle next year. We now have 5 open scholarships (TJD and Franklin have two of those), so hopefully we can land some of the players we are currently recruiting for next year.

This is what Purdue fans were saying at the end of the recruiting season last year, but the IU fans here felt the need to correct us. Why is it that when a player leaves, the story changes?

It was interesting that people were comparing this IU freshman class to "The Movement" class. So much hope and so much hype from the fanbase that they couldn't help but patrol this board and jump in on even the hint of a mention. Turned out to be very much like that class.

If there are no more additions, I agree we will struggle next year. We now have 5 open scholarships (TJD and Franklin have two of those), so hopefully we can land some of the players we are currently recruiting for next year.

You can likely add Brunk to that list. Going to have at least 2 more available after Green and Davis graduate so there will be at least 4 available scholarships next if only Brunk signs (2 years remaining) and no other players with multiple years of eligibility sign this year. Think IU will pursue a grad transfer guard this year and/or pursue a high major transfer who would have to sit a year. Wouldn’t mind IU taking a chance on Jalen Windham and you’d still have 3 scholarship for 2020.

I was really confused when Anderson picked IU. Purdue was in pretty dire need of a wing/stretch 4. Anderson seemed to fit that role perfectly. IU was loaded with forwards. The move made zero sense. Anderson got a little time, but his biggest liability (defense) was glaring. He also wasn’t hitting shots. Anderson will be a decent player, but he needed a year to redshirt. A transfer may do him good.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
This is what Purdue fans were saying at the end of the recruiting season last year, but the IU fans here felt the need to correct us. Why is it that when a player leaves, the story changes?

It was interesting that people were comparing this IU freshman class to "The Movement" class. So much hope and so much hype from the fanbase that they couldn't help but patrol this board and jump in on even the hint of a mention. Turned out to be very much like that class.

Because Forrester isn’t a big loss. He was nothing more than a project. Archie had a 13th scholarship available and they took a flyer on Forrester. Back to my original statement, “if Phinisee and Hunter play to potential”, and their potential is all-conference, I’m not sure how you can say it then becomes a poor recruiting class. If you can get 2 guys in one class to play at an all-conference level for 2-3 years you’ve done your job.

Really can’t make the assessment on IU’s class until these guys have all exhausted their eligibility.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Because Forrester isn’t a big loss. He was nothing more than a project. Archie had a 13th scholarship available and they took a flyer on Forrester. Back to my original statement, “if Phinisee and Hunter play to potential”, and their potential is all-conference, I’m not sure how you can say it then becomes a poor recruiting class. If you can get 2 guys in one class to play at an all-conference level for 2-3 years you’ve done your job.

Really can’t make the assessment on IU’s class until these guys have all exhausted their eligibility.
I do get what you are saying, but you are presupposing that Phinny and Hunter reach that all-conference level. Phinny was pretty good and might develop to that level. With his injury and subsequent surgeries (procedures?) Hunter is going to start very slowly next year. He is essentially a freshman who is not in shape to play very much. We saw the same conditioning issues with Tre Williams.

I guess my point is those who lean heavily on the recruiting class evaluation as a predictor of future team success are making a bit of a leap. In the end, I think IU will have only one starter out of last year's top 10 recruiting class, Phinisee.

Is it even a given that Hunter is going to play next year? I’m not hoping that’s the case but it hasn't sounded good. I agree he was a solid recruit but he will have a long road back.

Last edited:
Is it even a given that Hunter is going to play next year? I’m not hoping that’s the case but it has sounded good. I agree he was a solid recruit but he will have a long road back.

Hunter is easy to pull for. A fantastic young man and a very good ball player. I hope he makes a full recovery and gets to the next level, even with him choosing IU. There is so much to like about him. If he can get healthy and back to 100% he should be the best player on that team next year.

I still think IU takes a step backwards and misses the tournament again. That seat will get nice and toasty if Archie misses 3 straight tournaments. Especially if Purdue continues their run of success. Lots of story lines for next year. But until then... we got football!

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Hunter is easy to pull for. A fantastic young man and a very good ball player. I hope he makes a full recovery and gets to the next level, even with him choosing IU. There is so much to like about him. If he can get healthy and back to 100% he should be the best player on that team next year.

I still think IU takes a step backwards and misses the tournament again. That seat will get nice and toasty if Archie misses 3 straight tournaments. Especially if Purdue continues their run of success. Lots of story lines for next year. But until then... we got football!
Miller is safe as long as Dead in the Head Fred is AD. To whif on this hire wouldn't be good

Miller is safe as long as Dead in the Head Fred is AD. To whif on this hire wouldn't be good
Yeah, J. Cougar is probly not interested in financing another buy-out.

On the other hand, you can whiff and not take action . . . just sayin'

I like that congrats part but as for Brooks you're completely wrong. Once again this was a strictly business move. He made the right choice for his situation. He fell in love with Cal back when he visited him at North. Talent on the roster never wavered his decision and that's why he chose Kentucky. You guys only see what's in front of you but his decision was either MSU or Kentucky the whole time. Even if you want to sway it ,that's what it was. Just because your fan base believes they are blue blood doesn't mean they are. Good luck next year.

I like that congrats part but as for Brooks you're completely wrong. Once again this was a strictly business move. He made the right choice for his situation. He fell in love with Cal back when he visited him at North. Talent on the roster never wavered his decision and that's why he chose Kentucky. You guys only see what's in front of you but his decision was either MSU or Kentucky the whole time. Even if you want to sway it ,that's what it was. Just because your fan base believes they are blue blood doesn't mean they are. Good luck next year.

Not sure what any of my post has to do with IU being a blue blood? Is that a knock or suggestion that they can’t land top talent? They’ve signed 7 McDonald’s AA since 2011. But IU was absolutely in the running for Brooks up until the last few weeks when UK became the huge front runner after the Tennessee game. MSU cancelled his OV after Malik Hall committed and Brooks cancelled on them the day after his visit to UK in February. It was over for anybody other than UK after that. But to think IU never had a chance is 100% inaccurate.

And for the record I don’t disagree that Brooks made the right decision for one second. If he wants the clearest and quickest path to the NBA he made the right choice going to Kentucky. Will never fault him for that.

Not sure what any of my post has to do with IU being a blue blood? Is that a knock or suggestion that they can’t land top talent? They’ve signed 7 McDonald’s AA since 2011. But IU was absolutely in the running for Brooks up until the last few weeks when UK became the huge front runner after the Tennessee game. MSU cancelled his OV after Malik Hall committed and Brooks cancelled on them the day after his visit to UK in February. It was over for anybody other than UK after that. But to think IU never had a chance is 100% inaccurate.

And for the record I don’t disagree that Brooks made the right decision for one second. If he wants the clearest and quickest path to the NBA he made the right choice going to Kentucky. Will never fault him for that.
Once again IU was a 3rd fiddle in the fight. Unless you know Sr., Rita or Rog. You only know what is on the internet. We knew it was coming down to Kentucky or MSU on the board for months. He cancelled because someone liked Kentucky over MSU and that's why they set the MSU in the first place because it was down to those 2.

Once again IU was a 3rd fiddle in the fight. Unless you know Sr., Rita or Rog. You only know what is on the internet. We knew it was coming down to Kentucky or MSU on the board for months. He cancelled because someone liked Kentucky over MSU and that's why they set the MSU in the first place because it was down to those 2.

Whatever you say.

No obsession at all....except with your obsession of my posts. It's you're mind playing tricks. I'd think if Chris Holtmann recruited him to Butler, that would be the first guy to talk to him again.

This seems like a stretch. Holtman is in a very different situation now. I'm sure they will talk but the fact that they didn't talk first doesn't mean much. It definitely is a long way to worrying about collusion.

You are incorrect here. Poprudy said on this board that IU was out of the running a long time ago.

So because Poprudy said IU was out of the running that’s the end be all? He’s at UK, nobody is disputing that. But he wasn’t all-in on UK until he took a late visit in February. MSU backed off and cancelled his official visit shortly after Malik Hall committed. Brooks also cancelled a visit to MSU the day after his UK visit.

I could sit here today and say Hunter Dickinson is out of the running for Purdue. And if he commits anywhere other than Purdue, I’d technically be right. Is that how this works?

So because Poprudy said IU was out of the running that’s the end be all? He’s at UK, nobody is disputing that. But he wasn’t all-in on UK until he took a late visit in February. MSU backed off and cancelled his official visit shortly after Malik Hall committed. Brooks also cancelled a visit to MSU the day after his UK visit.

I could sit here today and say Hunter Dickinson is out of the running for Purdue. And if he commits anywhere other than Purdue, I’d technically be right. Is that how this works?
Yup!

IndyResident16.
I'm not sold on Leal at all..
Your only as god as the players you can gaurd.
He'd struggle on defense in the Big Ten.
He has a nice stroke...And that's all anyone wants right now .So we'll see.
I want Morton all day over A.L.

IndyResident16.
I'm not sold on Leal at all..
Your only as god as the players you can gaurd.
He'd struggle on defense in the Big Ten.
He has a nice stroke...And that's all anyone wants right now .So we'll see.
I want Morton all day over A.L.

I think he's definitely athletic enough to play defense in the B10. Nebraska, Iowa, and even Ohio State now has shown some interest. All depends on whether or not he can buy in. Not saying he's a must get, but with Green graduating after this year, Durham being an upperclassmen, and the possibility of Anderson transferring either this year or next that could be a scenario where IU would need Morton and Leal.

IU recruits All Americans. Purdue produces them.

He was a 4* Top 150. He didn’t take a “flyer”. Stop talking nonsense.

Last edited:
IU recruits All Americans. Purdue produces them.

He was a 4* Top 150. He didn’t take a “flyer”. Stop talking nonsense.

It’s not a big loss when you can consistently recruit over him. Forrester transfers, so what? It isn’t a big deal when you’re bringing in a 5* at the same position on top of potentially landing a grad transfer with 2 years of eligibility left who is an upgrade. Forrester is not a loss period. It’s addition by subtraction because it frees up a scholarship.

Its called credibility. He has it. You don’t.

Its called credibility. He has it. You don’t.

Says who? You know nothing about me. I’m sure Brooks and his family personally were giving Poprudy recruiting updates in real-time, just so he could report on an anonymous message board that Brooks wasn’t going to IU, just so Purdue fans could breathe easy. Credibility right? Poprudy is the message board insider we need, but definitely not one we deserve.

Says who? You know nothing about me. I’m sure Brooks and his family personally were giving Poprudy recruiting updates in real-time, just so he could report on an anonymous message board that Brooks wasn’t going to IU, just so Purdue fans could breathe easy. Credibility right? Poprudy is the message board insider we need, but definitely not one we deserve.
You don't know me and my relationship to the Brooks family. I let this board know about Baz leaving, Brooks going to La, and that Sr. Applied but North wanted a coach that could teach as well, Brooks would be a 5* in 8th grade, along with Kentucky trending along time ago. I still thought he was leaning to MSU but decisions are just that. I think there were to many guesses for me to be correct on. Also, I was happy regardless of his decision because it was his. Let this die... because this is why Rita didn't like that irrational fan base.

Reactions: Yellowstone1004
You don't know me and my relationship to the Brooks family. I let this board know about Baz leaving, Brooks going to La, and that Sr. Applied but North wanted a coach that could teach as well, Brooks would be a 5* in 8th grade, along with Kentucky trending along time ago. I still thought he was leaning to MSU but decisions are just that. I think there were to many guesses for me to be correct on. Also, I was happy regardless of his decision because it was his. Let this die... because this is why Rita didn't like that irrational fan base.
I just went back through your posts about Brooks. You were very adamant he was going to MSU. Using his parent's first names doesn't give you credibility.

What did his parent's say when you asked why they weren't giving Purdue a serious look?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT