ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Strickland Final 3

McCarthy is running 3rd on their depth chart after spring (behind McNamara & the grad transfer Bowen). Even the Michigan analysts are saying he seemed overwhelmed and not ready.
He went to Michigan because ND, then OSU, both passed on him. He and his coach at Naz in Chicago, (both grew up huge ND fans), are still bitter. He went to IMG and wasnt anything special. Then of course looked good at a camp with no defense, boom, became a 5 Star.
I wouldn’t count on him this year if I was Michigan. The question is who transfers next year, McNamara or McCarthy. McNamara already decommitted from ND because he didn’t want to compete with the two QBs around him. Will he leave next year if McCarthy beats him out? Or will McCarthy leave if he sits behind McNamara for 2-3 years? Both kids are emotionally weak, so it will be interesting.
Have a feeling Harbaugh will turn to the youngster once things go south. Always easier to blame lack of success when you're running out a true freshman QB. Play for the future as they say.

It's one thing when the media is down on your program, it's another thing when your fanbase feels the same way. Going to be a long Fall for the Wolverines this year.

Sometimes you have to go through hard experiences in order to improve. I’m told that Coach Poindexter was one of the people who vouched for Diaco in the DC selection process after Holt was let go. Well, now Diaco is gone and so is Poindexter. So is the DL coach brought in with 3-4 experience at Wisky and Air Force. Coincidence? I think not.

Let us know when you start battling 1.000 on your decisions, including hiring decisions. Brohm will be the first to admit that he made a bad choice with Diaco for our program at the time. Against his better judgment he went with that guy - checkered past and all - and got burned.
I’m not big into culpability because I’m not calling for brohms firing, nor would I be if we went 3-9 this year.

but you can’t deny that outcome A will prepare you for a season better than outcome B in this example.

Just like if lambert turns this D around over the course of this year… we will be ready to go 7-5 next year. IF INSTEAD we had kept Diaco another year.. both years would be tricky.

What’s funny is you seem to think I’m this guy who thinks we will never be good again and brohm can’t turn it around. Those people are out there and every year most of them are quiet right now. And if we go 5-7 you will hear from them.. and they will make me sound like the super fans

My in-laws are huge boosters for NU, so I have been around (and hated) that program for over 20 years.
An Iowa fan told the story on their board.. he was on a plane that had a layover in Omaha and a guy gets up in a red suit and red cowboy hat and as he’s exiting the plane yells “welcome to cornhusker land! Once you get off you don’t get back on!! Wooo!!”

which is how I imagine a lot of your Christmases have gone…

sorry lol

What’s not to hate… I wanted the 02 rose bowl to last 6 days lol
Actually had just started dating my wife that season. We both flew back to her family for Thanksgiving so I could meet all her extended family, who were all over to watch the NU-Colorado game. Colorado blew NU out & her cousin threw a fork at me when I said NU wasn’t good.
NU still made the title game against Miami & my wife and I did NOT watch it with her family. LOL

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Do people here really think Michigan will be any good this year? Keep hearing about this return to form but.. where is it coming from? If the 5* FR QB shows out, maybe. But they were BAD last year and lost a lot. I see them as a .500 in B1G play kind of team this year.

For PSU, they need much better QB play to get back to where they were. Not convinced Clifford can give them that. That said, I don't see IU beating them in Happy Valley. The margin was too close last year. But I don't see them pushing OSU like they had been for the past however long.
Penn State will be better offensively. Yurcich is the real deal as a play caller has had success everywhere and every level.

An Iowa fan told the story on their board.. he was on a plane that had a layover in Omaha and a guy gets up in a red suit and red cowboy hat and as he’s exiting the plane yells “welcome to cornhusker land! Once you get off you don’t get back on!! Wooo!!”

which is how I imagine a lot of your Christmases have gone…

sorry lol
It’s a different place for sure. Their entire lives/economy revolve around Husker football in the fall.
Ive never heard my father-in-law curse other than dropping f-bombs during Nebraska games.
I’ll visit & be out for a run with my wife around the lake Saturday mornings & random people will just yell, “go big red!” at us for no reason.

Actually had just started dating my wife that season. We both flew back to her family for Thanksgiving so I could meet all her extended family, who were all over to watch the NU-Colorado game. Colorado blew NU out & her cousin threw a fork at me when I said NU wasn’t good.
NU still made the title game against Miami & my wife and I did NOT watch it with her family. LOL
So at least it sounds like your wife is not typical .. I’m no fan of ND but man ND vs Nebraska is easy for me lol

It’s a different place for sure. Their entire lives/economy revolve around Husker football in the fall.
Ive never heard my father-in-law curse other than dropping f-bombs during Nebraska games.
I’ll visit & be out for a run with my wife around the lake Saturday mornings & random people will just yell, “go big red!” at us for no reason.
Sounds like the cast of population 404 with college football

NILbraska has a lake?

You’re smoking cracker if you think Purdue beats IU! I U wins by 3 td’s if not more! Purdue will be awful this year!
Purdue is way better than 2 years ago and Purdue lost a game it should have won. I don't think the gap between Purdue and iu is as big as some think.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
How is Purdue worse than last year?
I think that’s an opinion and won’t be determined until the season is over. You do seem to believe that Purdue has immensely improved and are dismissive of teams who were better (and beat) Purdue last year, namely Minny, Nebraska, and NW. Sure there is a chance that Purdue may end up better than all three when it’s said and done, but it needs to be proven on the field first.

Reactions: Excellent Post
I think that’s an opinion and won’t be determined until the season is over. You do seem to believe that Purdue has immensely improved and are dismissive of teams who were better (and beat) Purdue last year, namely Minny, Nebraska, and NW. Sure there is a chance that Purdue may end up better than all three when it’s said and done, but it needs to be proven on the field first.
Purdue returns basically everyone of note besides Derrick Barnes and their LT. Purdue should have beat minny. Bad call. Purdue spotted Nebraska 17 and lost by 10. NU isn't better than last year and Purdue played them very tough.

I don't think it's out of line to say Purdue and those three teams are basically the same. Especially when you watch Purdue vs look at their record. Better than their record showed.

Reactions: BBG
Purdue returns basically everyone of note besides Derrick Barnes and their LT. Purdue should have beat minny. Bad call. Purdue spotted Nebraska 17 and lost by 10. NU isn't better than last year and Purdue played them very tough.

I don't think it's out of line to say Purdue and those three teams are basically the same. Especially when you watch Purdue vs look at their record. Better than their record showed.
Minnesota basically returns everyone as does Nebraska sans Wandale Robinson and you’re also forgetting that Rondale Moore is gone. Purdue still beats Minnesota last year despite the bad call if they make their FG’s. Can’t put it on one play.

And basically returning everyone doesn’t make a team immensely better. GK and David Bell are all-American caliber players, but outside those two, I struggle to find playmakers on either side of the ball. Wright is a solid B10 starter, but other than him (and Bell) I think the rest of the skill position players are meh. AOC/Plummer at best are serviceable QB’s but neither strike as QB’s that are going to go out and win you a game. Offensive line is getting better, but is still a work in-progress. Depth on the OL is a huge concern.

Defensively, they’re likely to be better because I’m not sure it could get any worse, but Diaco’s firing if anything should boost morale. However, three different DC’s in three years is going to make for a ton of growing pains. Obviously GK is a stud but outside him you have a bunch of either meh players or talented young guys who lack a ton of experience.

Honestly I see a 4-5 win team. Will say it helps that most of Purdue’s swing games are at home and because of that there is a path to 6 wins, but anything more is overachieving in my opinion.

That’s my honest assessment.

Minnesota basically returns everyone as does Nebraska sans Wandale Robinson and you’re also forgetting that Rondale Moore is gone. Purdue still beats Minnesota last year despite the bad call if they make their FG’s. Can’t put it on one play.

And basically returning everyone doesn’t make a team immensely better. GK and David Bell are all-American caliber players, but outside those two, I struggle to find playmakers on either side of the ball. Wright is a solid B10 starter, but other than him (and Bell) I think the rest of the skill position players are meh. AOC/Plummer at best are serviceable QB’s but neither strike as QB’s that are going to go out and win you a game. Offensive line is getting better, but is still a work in-progress. Depth on the OL is a huge concern.

Defensively, they’re likely to be better because I’m not sure it could get any worse, but Diaco’s firing if anything should boost morale. However, three different DC’s in three years is going to make for a ton of growing pains. Obviously GK is a stud but outside him you have a bunch of either meh players or talented young guys who lack a ton of experience.

Honestly I see a 4-5 win team. Will say it helps that most of Purdue’s swing games are at home and because of that there is a path to 6 wins, but anything more is overachieving in my opinion.

That’s my honest assessment.
No comment on Durham and Horvath? I'm not worried about WR. Won't miss rondale. Can you miss a guy that didn't have an impact the last 15 games? Last year offense and defense was middle of the pack in ppg. Slight improvement on both ends has them 5th or 6th.

No comment on Durham and Horvath? I'm not worried about WR. Won't miss rondale. Can you miss a guy that didn't have an impact the last 15 games? Last year offense and defense was middle of the pack in ppg. Slight improvement on both ends has them 5th or 6th.
What about Horvath and Durham? They’re serviceable players. Nothing that wows me.

How is Purdue worse than last year?
Your team fell apart last year as there wasn’t much talent and no leadership. I see another down year for Purdue and your coach gets fired. I’m not saying Purdue can’t rebound with the right hire as they’ve proven they can be good when they have the right coach but for some reason the current guy made a mistake somewhere and he’s not going to be able to turn the ship around. Half of your 2022 recruiting class isn’t even ranked in the top 1000 on 247. You can’t recruit that poorly and become a top B10 football team it just doesn’t happen.

• Haha
Reactions: IndyGlen
Your team fell apart last year as there wasn’t much talent and no leadership. I see another down year for Purdue and your coach gets fired. I’m not saying Purdue can’t rebound with the right hire as they’ve proven they can be good when they have the right coach but for some reason the current guy made a mistake somewhere and he’s not going to be able to turn the ship around. Half of your 2022 recruiting class isn’t even ranked in the top 1000 on 247. You can’t recruit that poorly and become a top B10 football team it just doesn’t happen.
I don't really trust the rankings. Whens the last time scouts could watch them? One of the sub1000 guys accepted an offer the the all American game.

All Big ten last year.
Ok? Do you really think Horvath is a game changing player? His story as a walk-on is well received and you have to appreciate a guy who gets the most of of his abilities, but he scored two TD’s last year and is fumble prone. There’s a reason why Purdue was dead last in rushing last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT