ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Kill

Jerry Kill's arrival at SIU in 2001 was similar to Tiller at Purdue. SIU football was so poor that the university had contemplated dropping it. By 2004 the team had an undefeated regular season. As a result of his success the university actually built a new stadium. He returned to SIU a year so ago as an assistant to the chancellor and later became acting AD of San athletic department that appeared to be without focus. He has already started reshaping with the hire of a few new coaches. It isn't easy running an athletic department of the state university of a bankrupt state that isn't the flagship university of the state and is located the farthest from the state's population center in the poorest part of the state. I'm sure Wolegib has more insight since his son is an active SIU athlete.

I saw Jerry last week. he was the emcee for the Carterville Chamber of Commerce annual banquet. he still has his Kill Cancer campaign and golf outing. When he was made acting AD, most people knew it would be permanent. he's made a lot of moves since taking over. He fired the track and cross country coaches. he's paid for new uniforms for almost every sport. he's called a few all athlete meetings. he gave my son a full athletic scholarship. So I guess I like him.

SIU is a great landing place for him. Less stress; low key pace of living; pretty surroundings; what he's making will go very far in Carbondale.

SIU is a great landing place for him. Less stress; low key pace of living; pretty surroundings; what he's making will go very far in Carbondale.
Jerry is still much loved from his previous stop here. He had purchased a house on nearby Lake of Egypt and had come back to it often while away. Due to hi cancer fight while here the Coach Kill Cancer Fund was established to help locals with a cancer diagnosis and he remained active locally supporting that effort. He's making 215G which should be comfortable here especially if he took care of his previous ear ings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT