ADVERTISEMENT

Ivey has taken his game to the next level

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Ivey was good last year, but he has taken his game to the next level this year.

Those back to back jams were incredible. We have not had someone this athletic in quite some time. Besides his ankle breaking drives to the basket, he has improved his long range shot. You can tell his confidence level is at an all time high on the court.

We better enjoy him this year, because we know he will be NBA bound at the end of this season. The latest NBA Mock Draft earlier this week on ESPN+ had him as the 9th pick in the draft.

He took over the game when Purdue needed it trailing for the 1st time in the game. A team needs a leader to go to when momentum is swinging...

He definitely fueled that run - 10 points in a minute and a half. After Zach Edey splits a pair....forces a miss/rebounds, drives to the hoop pitches back toward the top of the key for Sasha Stefanovic for a 3ptr. Gets another rebound drives and dishes to IT in the corner for another 3ptr. Takes the pass on the wing and drives for the and-one. UNC made a good run to get back within two, but that stretch was something.

When this team locks down on defense and then makes the right play, they have the capability to be lethal. I don't recall Purdue forcing up-tempo this much in awhile either. It's a good strategy, IMO with the depth. Old-time Celtics ball.

Part of the run starts at 2:04 of the highlights....

Last edited:
Morant was a much more consistent shooter. But it is crazy how similar they look. Same build, same hair cut, similar jumping ability. I think Ivey is faster but morant was a better shooter and actually a better jumper though.

Those back to back jams were incredible. We have not had someone this athletic in quite some time. Besides his ankle breaking drives to the basket, he has improved his long range shot. You can tell his confidence level is at an all time high on the court.

We better enjoy him this year, because we know he will be NBA bound at the end of this season. The latest NBA Mock Draft earlier this week on ESPN+ had him as the 9th pick in the draft.
He’s got the genetics and work ethic to go with it.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Having watched Morant at Murray State I see similarities but Jaden is not there just yet.

Jaden is probably more like Olidipo with better handles and passing. Athletic, can shoot, drive. I mean i know people will get mad i compared him to an IU player, but for sure more Olidipo than Morant. The one simularity is Morant came out as a Sophmore and usually Sophmores arent lottery picks, but it happens.

I know Olidipo played 3 years at IU, but I do think Ivey is better than Olidipo, but not a true pg like Morant as good as Murant...but who knows, they are both very young.

It's obvious his Mother has raised a heck of a son. He appears to be humble and incredibly intelligent. I'm not going to go Nostradamus and act like I know what he's going to do. Maybe he goes, maybe his Mother tells him to get another year and invest in his game and education. Instead, I'll sit back and enjoy what we have now and the rest will take care of itself. It's more fun staying in the moment.

He definitely fueled that run - 10 points in a minute and a half. After Zach Edey splits a pair....forces a miss/rebounds, drives to the hoop pitches back toward the top of the key for Sasha Stefanovic for a 3ptr. Gets another rebound drives and dishes to IT in the corner for another 3ptr. Takes the pass on the wing and drives for the and-one. UNC made a good run to get back within two, but that stretch was something.

When this team locks down on defense and then makes the right play, they have the capability to be lethal. I don't recall Purdue forcing up-tempo this much in awhile either. It's a good strategy, IMO with the depth. Old-time Celtics ball.

I agree. The dunks are exciting, but I think this stretch was his most impressive. UNC takes their first lead, then Ivey takes over the game with his court vision.

Absolutely thrilling to watch.

Having someone be as electric as Jaden is at Purdue surrounded by the talent currently at Purdue will only make more guys like Jaden want to go there. Carsen, Jaden, and all the bigs Painter has produced are helping to make him a recruiting guru right now. If Jaden goes as a lottery pick, which he likely will, watch out for the impact that has in Purdue recruiting...

You think he's good now, just wait until he gets more efficient at chucking. ;)

Painter has all the pieces to win the NC this year. Need to get it done because Ivey, the most important piece, won't be here next year.

Why are you worried about next year. Enjoy this year. Everyone kept saying we’ll never have another Carsen. Jaden is much better than Carsen and it only took two years to replace him. We have Colvin coming in two years. He is a beast. Trust in painter. The core we have and the recruits will keep coming. Don’t worry. We’re going to be great for many more years

1) Depth. Lots of healthy young legs itching to be on the floor.
2) Better passing and decision making.
3) a 6'10" young buck consistently filling the lane.
1A) Jaden Ivey

I think up tempo is Ethan Mortons game too. It feels like he's more of a weapon in the open court.

He took over the game when Purdue needed it trailing for the 1st time in the game. A team needs a leader to go to when momentum is swinging...
He is an elite athlete that is reading the D much better this year and more under control. He did step it up when it needed stepped up and that is a compliment to his competitive spirit which we all know he is a competitor with an athletic ability to do things others can't. He truly was special this weekend. The games run together a bit, but the play that stood out I think was the UNC game with around 9 minutes to go. This right hander was moving at mach 1 from the left wing and just before he got to the lane, he passed the ball at that speed as a right handed player not left handed to the top of the key to Sasha??? for three. That is a really difficult pass at that speed, right handed on left side to be so accurate and Sasha just had to shoot it because the alignment was easier due to the pass. THAT pass was so impressive to me over a weekend where Jaden and the team had many impressive moments.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Having someone be as electric as Jaden is at Purdue surrounded by the talent currently at Purdue will only make more guys like Jaden want to go there. Carsen, Jaden, and all the bigs Painter has produced are helping to make him a recruiting guru right now. If Jaden goes as a lottery pick, which he likely will, watch out for the impact that has in Purdue recruiting...
yeah, it gets so confusing. Purdue is a Big man's school, but now seems to do just fine with guards. Perhaps Matt is just a good coach and the system allows improvement and the ability for every player to do what they can. Matt needs some 3's now... ;)

Reactions: purduepat1969
1) Depth. Lots of healthy young legs itching to be on the floor.
2) Better passing and decision making.
3) a 6'10" young buck consistently filling the lane.
1A) Jaden Ivey

I think up tempo is Ethan Mortons game too. It feels like he's more of a weapon in the open court.
Hard to be a really good team without good passing and decisions. I think passing is one of the most unappreciated aspects of the game by many fans. With the quality of the players overall...if each players goes as hard as he can physically, but under control mentally for those 5-8 minute stetches in half court D and offensive pressure by pushing the ball to probe what is there you would hope the three ball by the opposition would find weary legs in the last 5-8 minutes. Purdue owes Florida State who usually plays a lot of players in a week or so...

He is an elite athlete that is reading the D much better this year and more under control. He did step it up when it needed stepped up and that is a compliment to his competitive spirit which we all know he is a competitor with an athletic ability to do things others can't. He truly was special this weekend. The games run together a bit, but the play that stood out I think was the UNC game with around 9 minutes to go. This right hander was moving at mach 1 from the left wing and just before he got to the lane, he passed the ball at that speed as a right handed player not left handed to the top of the key to Sasha??? for three. That is a really difficult pass at that speed, right handed on left side to be so accurate and Sasha just had to shoot it because the alignment was easier due to the pass. THAT pass was so impressive to me over a weekend where Jaden and the team had many impressive moments.
That was my play of the game.

Reactions: tjreese
Watched today on ESPN app when just before half they switched to the studio feed and Seth Greenberg said "Jayden Ivey - the best guard in the country"
Ivey now has a target on his back. And I'm sure he is loving it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT