ADVERTISEMENT

IU fans complaining about officiating

gr8indoorsman

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
San Diego, CA
There were absolutely missed calls both ways last night, but I can't take seriously any IU fan that thinks they got jobbed by the officials. Why?

• Double foul on Haarms and Davis. In order for Haarms to be hooking Davis, he had to basically bend his shoulder and elbow in an unnatural position and almost want to hurt himself. Then, when Haarms goes to the ground, Davis stands over him and nothing is called.
  • Tech on Haarms, nothing on Davis. Haarms goes up and grabs the rebound on the miss as the whistle is blown. Davis reaches in and snatches the ball away from Haarms after the whistle. Haarms stares, but backs up and walks away. Davis walks towards Haarms. Tech on Haarms. Should've been a nothingburger at worst, double tech or tech on Davis if you're trying to get control of the game. Almost certainly not a tech solely on Haarms.
  • Goaltending, clear as day. Ball hits the backboard, then is blocked on the Edwards layup.
  • Over the back isn't actually a rule, guys. It's based on contact, and there was little, if any, contact between Haarms and Morgan on the tapback. Haarms is simply taller and has longer arms.
  • IU was called for 12 fouls the whole game. Purdue was called for 18. IU shot 18 FTs, Purdue shot only 9. Seems about normal for B1G home/road foul splits when the home team gets 50% more fouls called in their favor and shoots 100% more free throws than the road team.
  • I don't even want to get into travels. Smith walked plain as day on a basket he made, as did Davis. Edwards got away with one on an assisted basket himself.
All told, I can pretty clearly point to at least four points in IU's favor that either didn't (goaltend) or should not (Haarms T) have happened, and the rest of it is probably a wash at worst, and likely favored IU as it usually does for home teams.

It's just unfathomable that IU fans don't think they get fair treatment in their own building. It's arguably the worst in terms of officiating for road teams of any venue in the B1G.

Then you get the IU asshats complaining that they should've just made their FTs and they win... IU shot 61%, 4% lower than their 65% season average. Purdue shot 44%, 30% lower than their 74% season average. So yes, let's make that trade. Please. All day, boys.

Everyone in the conference complains about B1G officiating. Everyone. IU fans like to tell everyone they're the most knowledgeable fan base, but keep generating plenty of material to the contrary, such as all the people calling for an "over the back!!!" call on Haarms.

Generally, fans are the same across the B1G and even across the country. I do think fans in this state are perhaps more knowledgeable about basketball than the average fan elsewhere, but not by a wide margin. I think people here appreciate good fundamentals and know good basketball when they see it, and that's largely because so many people here played organized basketball at some point, and probably got decent coaching along the way.

But this notion that IU fans are more knowledgeable about the game than everyone else, simply because they watched Bob Knight teams for 30 years, is just obnoxious. If they're seriously gonna make that claim, then they'd also better agree that any IU fan under the age of 30 doesn't know shit about basketball, because the only basketball in their memory was coached by Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Tom Crean, and Archie Miller.

Everyone in the conference complains about B1G officiating. Everyone. IU fans like to tell everyone they're the most knowledgeable fan base, but keep generating plenty of material to the contrary, such as all the people calling for an "over the back!!!" call on Haarms.

Generally, fans are the same across the B1G and even across the country. I do think fans in this state are perhaps more knowledgeable about basketball than the average fan elsewhere, but not by a wide margin. I think people here appreciate good fundamentals and know good basketball when they see it, and that's largely because so many people here played organized basketball at some point, and probably got decent coaching along the way.

But this notion that IU fans are more knowledgeable about the game than everyone else, simply because they watched Bob Knight teams for 30 years, is just obnoxious. If they're seriously gonna make that claim, then they'd also better agree that any IU fan under the age of 30 doesn't know shit about basketball, because the only basketball in their memory was coached by Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Tom Crean, and Archie Miller.
giphy.gif

Any IU fan that thinks they know basketball because of Knight has to be a Matt Painter fan today...like Benson.,.Dakich adn maybe a few others fearful of the wrath down south adn don't want to come out of the closet. That doesn't mean they can't love IU...just that they recognize real basektball is played the right way at Purdue more often than IU.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
- IU fan and former high school official -

It was bad in both directions. If you made me pick I’d say that Purdue benefitted more, but it was so close you may as well say it was even. Haarms tip was 100% not a foul.

The tip in by Haarms was a foul but I was okay with the no call. We didn't lose because of officiating. We lost because this is the worst shooting Indiana team I've ever seen. If we could throw it in the ocean we win in a blowout. Absolutely amazing how bad our shooting is.

The tip in by Haarms was a foul but I was okay with the no call. We didn't lose because of officiating. We lost because this is the worst shooting Indiana team I've ever seen. If we could throw it in the ocean we win in a blowout. Absolutely amazing how bad our shooting is.

Both teams shot horribly.

I don't agree that it was a foul. Both players went up, it was normal contact, nobody was pushed or impeded. It was just 7'3" with an advantage.

Not a comforting time to be an IU fan . . . football or basketball.

Been there. Done that.

Teams have shot horribly against us all season. We do play great defense. But our offense is beyond atrocious. Makes the Mike Davis Bracey Wright offense look like the Golden St Warriors.

Reactions: Purdue85
Teams have shot horribly against us all season. We do play great defense. But our offense is beyond atrocious. Makes the Mike Davis Bracey Wright offense look like the Golden St Warriors.
Hey it's a good thing you think your defense has caused others to shoot poorly. If not for that you'd likely be 0 for the season.

Thanks Tex... how in the... nm.

Unfortunately, I was among the spectators in the Irwin Center that weekend. If only they had those tear-away jerseys they used to have in football....Greg Pruitt used to go through a boat-load of them. ;)

After that game, there was the crazy Syracuse/Arkansas game, which Syracuse looked to pulled off as a big upset.....until a late game tie-up ended up being a Syracuse technical for calling an excessive time-out.....it was a crazy set of second round games. That's after Arkansas almost got beat in the opening round from UTSA and Purdue survived as well.

What I notice in that clip is that nobody protests the no call. Nobody throws their hands up or even looks at the refs. Waddell calmly call for a timeout while everybody else just looks at the bench. I know what I was doing watching on tv.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT