ADVERTISEMENT

Good, bad, ugly.

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Good: fought all the way back to make it a 1 pt game with about 2 mins left. Had the iu fan base crapping their pants thinking iu might lose after their best game all season.
Bad: turnovers and missed FT. You just can’t do that on the road. Probably 10+ points at least between this two things.
Bad: Smith for some reason not willing to pull the trigger from 3 when they kept going under the high ball screen. I thought he would thrive in that atmosphere but he just didn’t play with confidence and made some really crucial turnovers in the last few minute.
Bad : we get the lead down to one, force a miss but give up a backside offensive rebound and foul. They hit the 2 FTs and that’s when I felt we were done. I think Smith turned it over on the next possession.
Ugly: got out toughed and pushed around. Davis wanted to act like a thug and we didn’t respond which just gave him more confidence. Iu was the aggressor and was going to dare the refs to blow the whistle. Purdue lost its poise and played tentative. By the time they figured it out, the hole was too deep.

My hope is these guys have a really bad taste in their mouths and have the iu game at Mackey circled on the calendar.

Last edited:
My hope is these guys have a really bad taste in their mouth and have the iu game at Mackey circled on the calendar.

I hope they figure out playing against physicality out front real soon and minimizing the TOs while still playing confidently.

MD & NW will both have a major dose of major league physicality for us long before we destroy iu in our next meeting. Both games are losable if we give the ball away and don't come ready.

I hope they figure out playing against physicality out front real soon and minimizing the TOs while still playing confidently.

MD & NW will both have a major dose of major league physicality for us long before we destroy iu in our next meeting. Both games are losable if we give the ball away and don't come ready.
I don’t think it is entirely physical play although that makes it difficult on its own. I think it also needs length in the D and a rim protector. I need to watch the game again specifically the screening. Did the ball handler or cutter set up for the screen and did they brush bodies coming off the screen. Did the screener have a wide base at the right angle and hold the screen or be weak looking for a call? That is my main interest on offense

Reactions: Inspector100

MD will be the next loss

I don’t think it is entirely physical play although that makes it difficult on its own. I think it also needs length in the D and a rim protector. I need to watch the game again specifically the screening. Did the ball handler or cutter set up for the screen and did they brush bodies coming off the screen. Did the screener have a wide base at the right angle and hold the screen or be weak looking for a call? That is my main interest on offense
tjr, I thought that Race Thompson was the key to the game with his screening on top and his physical play in the lane. I thought his screens were solid and forced the defense into a bad choice every time as they couldn't go under and keep up. It didn't result in a 3 shot hardly at all, but set up the small run down the lane where TJD was able to get his spot and finish many plays. Purdue figures out how to handle that and their defense will have success where they didn't on Saturday.

Reactions: tjreese
tjr, I thought that Race Thompson was the key to the game with his screening on top and his physical play in the lane. I thought his screens were solid and forced the defense into a bad choice every time as they couldn't go under and keep up. It didn't result in a 3 shot hardly at all, but set up the small run down the lane where TJD was able to get his spot and finish many plays. Purdue figures out how to handle that and their defense will have success where they didn't on Saturday.
No surprise (as I typed before) that IU got some guys going to the basket to use their size off screens and curls from dribbling (Shifino and Galloway) and passing. The success of that to me is possibly too much respect for the 3 by going on top for one, and worry about the lob second. What I want to see is NOT IU's screening since I kinda expected that, but Purdue's screening. IU blew up some screens and so the question is why in my mind. Weak screens looking for a call? Bad set up by person getting screen and possibly too wide in that movement that allowed a defender in between? Too many people falling down and too much blowing up screens due to something and that is what I'm interested in seeing.

In the old days before the three...everybody went "UNDER" screens away from the ball and under on many screens on the ball. I think there are times Matt could do that a bit more and could have done it a bit more in the past FWIW.

Many years ago as you might recall, the officials were quick with the whistle to set the tone if the game they thought could be a physical game or rival game. Then the officials would let a bit more go on, but not the to the level it would get if not setting the judgement criteria to begin. It is no different for a teacher to get control of a class. IF the standard is not set early...then humans will push the envelope...always have...always will. Obviously one team was more physical than the other and were successful with that initial or early approach...the other not. Why, I don't know?

ADVERTISEMENT