ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Fans Thoughts On IU-PU

IMSKRONG

True Freshman
Jun 1, 2022
So obviously everyone always says Duke-UNC is the best rivalry in college basketball. Personally, I think it's IU-PU and maybe I'm biased but I don't care. Yes, Purdue has dominated as of late, BUT, over the last 25 seasons Purdue leads 25-20. Now... Compare that to other big rivalries...

Duke leads North Carolina 36-24
Kentucky leads Louisville 18-9
Xavier leads Cincinnati 17-8

So to me, I say it is just crappy bias.

Which also brings me to another point...

HOW RIDICULOUS IS IT THAT GAMEDAY IS NOT IN BLOOMINGTON ON SATURDAY?????????????????

#1 Purdue travels to #21 and what does ESPN choose? Unranked Duke vs Unranked North Carolina.... ESPN a little salty about the Big Ten leaving them out of the media deal maybe?

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the rivalry and ESPN choosing that crap over the IU-PU game?

So obviously everyone always says Duke-UNC is the best rivalry in college basketball. Personally, I think it's IU-PU and maybe I'm biased but I don't care. Yes, Purdue has dominated as of late, BUT, over the last 25 seasons Purdue leads 25-20. Now... Compare that to other big rivalries...

HOW RIDICULOUS IS IT THAT GAMEDAY IS NOT IN BLOOMINGTON ON SATURDAY?????????????????

#1 Purdue travels to #21 and what does ESPN choose? Unranked Duke vs Unranked North Carolina.... ESPN a little salty about the Big Ten leaving them out of the media deal maybe?

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the rivalry and ESPN choosing that crap over the IU-PU game?
I’m curious as to why you think a Purdue forum is a good place to be starting so many threads?

Reactions: Boiler Buck

They might have planned out the "Gameday" locations before the season started when Purdue was unranked

Not thinking about the IU game. Penn State is Purdue's next challenge. I'll get back to this on Thursday.

Can't stand ESPN telecasts. If you are not the first game of the day, you can usually count on missing the first 3-5 minutes of your game. Too many graphics on the screen.

I think IU-PU is a better rivalry, but I'm obviously biased. Certainly the roots of our rivalry run deeper (IU had more success earlier than UNC and Duke wasn't even on the level of Purdue before Coach K) and Indiana is the hotbed of basketball, in general. It's hard to tell which came first, Duke and UNC's domination or the constant fellatio of them by ESPN.

As to the Gameday thing, someone mentioned that TV politics might have come into play with the Big Ten going with other networks.

I will post this before others do. I believe the game will depend on who defends Trayce and how good of a job he does. I doubt Edey will defend Trayce.

Can't stand ESPN telecasts. If you are not the first game of the day, you can usually count on missing the first 3-5 minutes of your game. Too many graphics on the screen.
I hate ESPN and Fox announcers. The just don't add to what I can't see...like what was that call now that a timeout is called. Then when the play starts you figure it out, but don't know who it was on. Give me the Big for actually knowing what is going on in the game

Are you scared of conversation?
Well, no. Just find it odd you are here so much starting threads. It’s weird as you come in acting nice and then when IU doesn’t something remotely good you come back and act like you’ve been drinking and can’t handle your alcohol.

To answer your question. IU hasn’t held up its end of the bargain for a long time so the rivalry has less luster than in the past. The Keady Knight years were the heyday and now it’s just another game where our SOS suffers.

I hate ESPN and Fox announcers. The just don't add to what I can't see...like what was that call now that a timeout is called. Then when the play starts you figure it out, but don't know who it was on. Give me the Big for actually knowing what is going on in the game
Those networks think people tune in to listen to their announcers, who half the time aren't talking about the game. Infuriating.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Well, no. Just find it odd you are here so much starting threads. It’s weird as you come in acting nice and then when IU doesn’t something remotely good you come back and act like you’ve been drinking and can’t handle your alcohol.

To answer your question. IU hasn’t held up its end of the bargain for a long time so the rivalry has less luster than in the past. The Keady Knight years were the heyday and now it’s just another game where our SOS suffers.
"For a long time." Yea the last few years have been rough. It happens. You look at the past 15 games and Purdue is 13-2. That stretches over 9 seasons. 15 games before that Indiana lead 9-6, and that was during Creans first 3 years even. I mean from 99-00 through 2012-2013, Indiana went 20-9 against. So I guess Purdue didn't hold up their end throughout that time?

Reactions: Sinkme and Middawg

And talking about not holding up one end, there was a stretch from Feb 2000-Jan 2007 where Indiana was 11-2... So I guess the rivalry meant nothing then because Purdue couldn't hold up their end.

Reactions: Sinkme

"Ruh Roh Raggy" here it comes...

And talking about not holding up one end, there was a stretch from Feb 2000-Jan 2007 where Indiana was 11-2... So I guess the rivalry meant nothing then because Purdue couldn't hold up their end.
I shouldn't reply to you B1G/Trojan, but we're 19-9 since then and IU has went through 4-5 coaches... technically. The talking heads feel it has lost its luster during that period. The only way this is coming back to the national stage is to have multiple great games.....there has to be sustainability.

We live in a culture where nobody cares about what happened over 5 years ago. Any civil war buffs out there? Anybody want to talk about viet nam? Or the riots of 68? The typical answer is that was before I was born. Yes it was, but just because something happened before you were born doesn’t make it less important.

And so it is with the Purdue / IU rivalry. Nobody cares what happened 5 years ago. Nobody cares much about what happened last year either.

I shouldn't reply to you B1G/Trojan, but we're 19-9 since then and IU has went through 4-5 coaches... technically. The talking heads feel it has lost its luster during that period. The only way this is coming back to the national stage is to have multiple great games.....there has to be sustainability.
19-9 since when?

We live in a culture where nobody cares about what happened over 5 years ago. Any civil war buffs out there? Anybody want to talk about viet nam? Or the riots of 68? The typical answer is that was before I was born. Yes it was, but just because something happened before you were born doesn’t make it less important.

And so it is with the Purdue / IU rivalry. Nobody cares what happened 5 years ago. Nobody cares much about what happened last year either.
You can pretty much guarantee on plenty of highlights from old games being shown. Records being shown. Especially during the Duke-UNC game. You'll probably see the Austin Rivers shot like 10 times. ESPN will be a good channel to keep it on Saturday. Rivalry games all day. Just not one that's better than Purdue-IU. But the bias from ESPN is real. #1 team, NPOY frontrunner going into hostile territory against a ranked rival... That's made for GameDay.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
19-9 since when?
Actually, thanks for having me reevaluate this. Since and including 2007 the record is 19-8 the last 16 years not including 2022-2023.

You seemingly don't want to look this record up, but have zero problems doing your own research for your narrative.🤔

Let’s be honest. The rivalry was tremendous in the 80’s and 90’s, but hasn’t been the same since. It’s been fun, but the intensity is not the same.

That said, I think that Assembly Hall will be as fired up for Saturday’s game as ever. For this season, it might just be the top rivalry game in all of college basketball with Purdue at #1 and IU playing their best ball in several years.

I am married to an IU grad and watch most of the IU games. They have a very good team that is peaking right now. I think it’s going to be a great game and has a good chance of coming down to the last possession.

If IU wins, the court will be stormed. If Purdue wins, it will be one angry crowd.

Let’s be honest. The rivalry was tremendous in the 80’s and 90’s, but hasn’t been the same since. It’s been fun, but the intensity is not the same.

That said, I think that Assembly Hall will be as fired up for Saturday’s game as ever. For this season, it might just be the top rivalry game in all of college basketball with Purdue at #1 and IU playing their best ball in several years.

I am married to an IU grad and watch most of the IU games. They have a very good team that is peaking right now. I think it’s going to be a great game and has a good chance of coming down to the last possession.

If IU wins, the court will be stormed. If Purdue wins, it will be one angry crowd.
Court will get stormed and people will complain. Personally I think the students should storm it after every win, sing the fight song with the team and cheerleaders and go drink some more. But we can only hope for a great game... Maybe I'm in the minority thinking it'll be about 15 in favor of Purdue.

"For a long time." Yea the last few years have been rough. It happens. You look at the past 15 games and Purdue is 13-2. That stretches over 9 seasons. 15 games before that Indiana lead 9-6, and that was during Creans first 3 years even. I mean from 99-00 through 2012-2013, Indiana went 20-9 against. So I guess Purdue didn't hold up their end throughout that time?
I think your specific question in the OP was about the TV coverage of this next game. Not about records from the last century. IU has fallen on hard times lately. You really look weak trying to cherry pick the 8.75 years during which IU won a few games. Even this year, when ignorant “experts” predicted IU would be the best of the BIG, your team has failed once again to deliver. So, to answer your original question, IU has really dropped the ball and managed to lose all the luster around this being a rivalry game.

like last year, IU might play brilliantly in this one game and for a brief moment attempt to reignite the old rivalry, but until they reach a level of consistency, nobody nationally will care.

Actually, thanks for having me reevaluate this. Since and including 2007 the record is 19-8 the last 16 years not including 2022-2023.

You seemingly don't want to look this record up, but have zero problems doing your own research for your narrative.🤔
I was just confused as to when you were going back. Yes, it hasn't exactly been punch for punch. Since the turn of the century. It's been a haymaker and then another haymaker. I looked on that basketball reference website. It only goes back to the 49-50 season. Surprisingly, Indiana-Purdue is 67-67 since then. Compared to UNC having a 102-87 advantage over Duke, Kentucky having a 30-15 advantage over Louisville and Kentucky also having a 30-19 advantage over Indiana.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think it is stupid that ESPN wouldn’t pick that for GameDay especially considering the new TV deal which removes them from covering Big Ten.

Bloomington will be rocking and I feel it will be a close one. Don’t see either team pulling too far away. Not sure it comes down to a last second shot but it will be close.

I would love nothing more than drinking some Hoosier tears before the daddy daughter dance.

I think your specific question in the OP was about the TV coverage of this next game. Not about records from the last century. IU has fallen on hard times lately. You really look weak trying to cherry pick the 8.75 years during which IU won a few games. Even this year, when ignorant “experts” predicted IU would be the best of the BIG, your team has failed once again to deliver. So, to answer your original question, IU has really dropped the ball and managed to lose all the luster around this being a rivalry game.

like last year, IU might play brilliantly in this one game and for a brief moment attempt to reignite the old rivalry, but until they reach a level of consistency, nobody nationally will care.
You do know Indiana is tied for 3rd and the only other team ranked in Top 25 from the B1G right? Yea Indiana dropped 3 games after a second starter went down. They've bounced back quite nicely and surprisingly, though have a huge game tonight.

Here's the funny thing, I bet when Indiana came to Purdue ranked 24th in February of 2007.. I bet Mackey was rocking and the rivalry was still alive and great right? Even though Indiana had won 5 straight and had won 11 of 13... Lol. The rivalry is only dead because Purdue has been winning? Is that like the little brother beating the big brother in video games finally?

I think it is stupid that ESPN wouldn’t pick that for GameDay especially considering the new TV deal which removes them from covering Big Ten.

Bloomington will be rocking and I feel it will be a close one. Don’t see either team pulling too far away. Not sure it comes down to a last second shot but it will be close.

I would love nothing more than drinking some Hoosier tears before the daddy daughter dance.
A lot of Purdue fans wanna say the rivalry is dead but will be real quick to brag about a win... Assembly Hall and Mackey will be rocking this year without any doubt.

You do know Indiana is tied for 3rd and the only other team ranked in Top 25 from the B1G right? Yea Indiana dropped 3 games after a second starter went down. They've bounced back quite nicely and surprisingly, though have a huge game tonight.

Here's the funny thing, I bet when Indiana came to Purdue ranked 24th in February of 2007.. I bet Mackey was rocking and the rivalry was still alive and great right? Even though Indiana had won 5 straight and had won 11 of 13... Lol. The rivalry is only dead because Purdue has been winning? Is that like the little brother beating the big brother in video games finally?
Of course the fans of our teams keep the rivalry alive. He said nobody nationally will care.
To use one of your favorite sayings.. do indinia fans not know how to read?!?!

[/QUOTE/]

I shouldn't reply to you B1G/Trojan, but we're 19-9 since then and IU has went through 4-5 coaches... technically. The talking heads feel it has lost its luster during that period. The only way this is coming back to the national stage is to have multiple great games.....there has to be sustainability

I was just confused as to when you were going back. Yes, it hasn't exactly been punch for punch. Since the turn of the century. It's been a haymaker and then another haymaker. I looked on that basketball reference website. It only goes back to the 49-50 season. Surprisingly, Indiana-Purdue is 67-67 since then. Compared to UNC having a 102-87 advantage over Duke, Kentucky having a 30-15 advantage over Louisville and Kentucky also having a 30-19 advantage over Indiana.

What confused you??

A lot of Purdue fans wanna say the rivalry is dead but will be real quick to brag about a win... Assembly Hall and Mackey will be rocking this year without any doubt.
Don't lump me in with these mutants. I respect the rivalry and the tradition and was looking forward to this game when we were both top 20 in December before IU hit their skid. I respect IU for pulling themselves out of the dumpster to bring it back to where this game matters.

I just don't see one team pulling away from the other one. If the refs call this straight up, it will be close.

Rivalry is far from dead! I'm a geared up as ever for the game! Means just as much to me as it did in the 80's and 90's..... I think it will be a great game Saturday....IU playing much better since Sleepy Woody figured out the offense should go through TJD! Hope I'm wrong....but I think we split the series this year....

I was a freshman when IU came into Mackey in 1992 to win a BigTen Championship and grab a #1 seed in the NCAA. They had beat us by like 50 or something insane in Bloomington and it was an obvious blood bath in the making. Nope, Woody Austin shot lights out, Mackey was LOUD and Purdue pulled the upset. It's a rivalry game, which honestly favors the underdog more-than-not. ESPN is saying IU has a "55% Chance" of winning this one.

Penn State first, take care of business but Matt Painter was on the court that day so I can imagine Painter will share the war stories with the team. Throw out the ranking and records and focus on the game plan and your job. Leave all the emotion at the door and just execute.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I don't believe this friendly rivalry is dead in Indiana. For me in the past 20 years it's been MSU. They have taken our recruit's, have been more successful in the tournament and our matchups have been great. IMO

want to know what I think of iu?.....POTFH! That's what I think about iu.

Court will get stormed and people will complain. Personally I think the students should storm it after every win, sing the fight song with the team and cheerleaders and go drink some more. But we can only hope for a great game... Maybe I'm in the minority thinking it'll be about 15 in favor of Purdue.
I hope Purdue wins and Ethan Morton does a tap dance on the iu logo at half court like Todd Foster did. That upset iu nation. It was beautiful and hilarious. Then the next year, after Purdue kicked iu's ass again as Ass Hall, the iu cheerleaders created a circle around the logo after the game. C'mon man.

It will lose its luster a little if indinia loses to Maryland tonight. Hopefully, they won’t lay a turd before their super bowl on Saturday

Reactions: bonefish1
Rivalry is far from dead! I'm a geared up as ever for the game! Means just as much to me as it did in the 80's and 90's..... I think it will be a great game Saturday....IU playing much better since Sleepy Woody figured out the offense should go through TJD! Hope I'm wrong....but I think we split the series this year....
👆

Reactions: IMSKRONG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT