ADVERTISEMENT

It gets a little tougher......

Must be nice. I'd say Indiana has the toughest schedule left.

At Michigan

At Northwestern

Illinois

At Michigan State

At Purdue

Iowa

Michigan

But for whatever reason, ESPN has them going 6-1 over that span which I believe would be an absolute miracle. I never had Indiana winning the B1G because of their schedule and considering teams like Purdue and Illinois had WAY easier schedules. But that's the Big Ten for ya.

WAAAAAAAAHHHH!!

Lol. You really wanna compare schedules? They aren't even. By any means.
I think you're overselling the point. This morning's Pomeroy rankings has Indiana's overall SOS at 27 and non-conference SOS at 288. Purdue's overall SOS is 32 and non-conference SOS is 158. That indeed suggests Indiana has faced a tougher B1G schedule. But I don't know if it's by leaps and bounds.

According to this morning's NET rankings, Indiana is 4-6 v. Q1 and 8-7 v. Q1+Q2. Purdue is 9-2 v. Q1 and 13-2 vs. Q1+Q2. That's a fluid dynamic, of course, and it's not conference-specific. But, it does demonstrate that Purdue has fared better against quality competition--across the board.

I appreciate Purdue has played 4 games against Minnesota and Nebraska. That is undeniably luck of the draw. It's also concerning that Purdue is just 1-2 against the quartet of teams that are currently in second place. (We'll see how they finish). MSU has a manageable remaining schedule. If Sparty heats up, Purdue could end up with a sweep of the runner-up. Regardless, to spin this as the B1G is gifting Purdue this 3-game lead strikes me as disingenuous.

BTW: I hope you understand this isn't personal on my end. I actually like having you around here. I have much more respect for you than the trolls that only show up when Indiana does something good or Purdue does something bad.

I seem to remember some other BIG teams winning the BIG with favorable schedules as well. There is imbalance, yes, which none of us like, but you play the games assigned. Looking at the entire season played to date (not just BIG), kenpom shows Purdue at 32nd ranked SOS and iu 27th. Pretty close.
When Indiana won the B1G by two games in 2016, they did not play @ Purdue, @ Maryland, or @ Ohio State.

Reactions: Middawg and Schnelk
I think you're overselling the point. This morning's Pomeroy rankings has Indiana's overall SOS at 27 and non-conference SOS at 288. Purdue's overall SOS is 32 and non-conference SOS is 158. That indeed suggests Indiana has faced a tougher B1G schedule. But I don't know if it's by leaps and bounds.

According to this morning's NET rankings, Indiana is 4-6 v. Q1 and 8-7 v. Q1+Q2. Purdue is 9-2 v. Q1 and 13-2 vs. Q1+Q2. That's a fluid dynamic, of course, and it's not conference-specific. But, it does demonstrate that Purdue has fared better against quality competition--across the board.

I appreciate Purdue has played 4 games against Minnesota and Nebraska. That is undeniably luck of the draw. It's also concerning that Purdue is just 1-2 against the quartet of teams that are currently in second place. (We'll see how they finish). MSU has a manageable remaining schedule. If Sparty heats up, Purdue could end up with a sweep of the runner-up. Regardless, to spin this as the B1G is gifting Purdue this 3-game lead strikes me as disingenuous.

BTW: I hope you understand this isn't personal on my end. I actually like having you around here. I have much more respect for you than the trolls that only show up when Indiana does something good or Purdue does something bad.
I lost a lot of faith in the subjective rating systems after the 1984-1985 Chicago Bears season.
All the talking heads had the losing in the Super Bowl because the NFC Central had no teams with winning records.
Guess what, they all lost to the Bears twice.
To recall history the Bears Destroyed the Patriots.
The Patriots had -18 total yards at the half.

I seem to remember some other BIG teams winning the BIG with favorable schedules as well. There is imbalance, yes, which none of us like, but you play the games assigned. Looking at the entire season played to date (not just BIG), kenpom shows Purdue at 32nd ranked SOS and iu 27th. Pretty close.
Clownpants sos is improved by having us on it twice.

I actually like having you around here. I have much more respect for you than the trolls that only show up when Indiana does something good or Purdue does something bad.
I think you are Rong about that. People who wear clownpants should stay with their own kind down at Leonation.

• Haha
Reactions: rgarlitz
The rest of the Big Ten is well aware of the Boilers very easy schedule. Lucky break I suppose.

Adding more schools to the Big Ten in the near future will further diminish the accomplishment of finishing first in the regular season. Does anyone believe Clemson is a better team than Virginia in the ACC this season?

Teams finishing first in the standings with these unbalanced schedules should be given an asterisk to differentiate them from the true champions that faced every opponent twice.
with that we probably should have an asterisk on all scoring, blocks and assists before the shot clock and 3 point line since the bigs have more space to operate, the clock eliminates long possessions allowing stats to increase and the perimeter gets 50% more for similar shots.

Then you probably need to add an asterisk to NCAA tourney games before more weight to unbiased computer input over the season was used, preventing a bit of the desires of those selecting everything concerning the few teams in the tourney, those placed to play others and the location where teams go. Lot of asterisks can be used for a lot of players and teams before and after many changes...

I lost a lot of faith in the subjective rating systems after the 1984-1985 Chicago Bears season.
All the talking heads had the losing in the Super Bowl because the NFC Central had no teams with winning records.
Guess what, they all lost to the Bears twice.
To recall history the Bears Destroyed the Patriots.
The Patriots had -18 total yards at the half.
Wow! That's some grudge you're holding!

Seriously, though, you make a good point. The 1st place team often has a SOS disadvantage because it never plays itself. That's really pronounced this year because Purdue is 15 spots higher in the NET than the second-highest B1G team.

Beyond that, Purdue is pushing other teams down. Say Purdue wins @ Northwestern this weekend (not a foregone conclusion, but a definite possibility). Did Purdue just beat one of the 2nd place teams, or is it a ho-hum win because Northwestern is now down in 5th place?

I think you are Rong about that. People who wear clownpants should stay with their own kind down at Leonation.
viruses commonly mutate and so "own kind" is broader today than last week

When Indiana won the B1G by two games in 2016, they did not play @ Purdue, @ Maryland, or @ Ohio State.
Yup and ended up with a 5 seed that year.. though that seeding had more to do with the non conference and the committee having IU-UK play in the 2nd round. Both teams got screwed that year too having to meet UNC in the S16. Kentucky should have easily been a 3 and Indiana a 4. But gotta make that money.

Yup and ended up with a 5 seed that year.. though that seeding had more to do with the non conference and the committee having IU-UK play in the 2nd round. Both teams got screwed that year too having to meet UNC in the S16. Kentucky should have easily been a 3 and Indiana a 4. But gotta make that money.
IU got a 5 seed that year because MSU was the better team and IU played the softest Big Ten schedule in the leagues history.

Even Maryland and Purdue who finished 3 and 4 that year has similar overall records as IU.

IU got a 5 seed that year because MSU was the better team and IU played the softest Big Ten schedule in the leagues history.

Even Maryland and Purdue who finished 3 and 4 that year has similar overall records as IU.
Cool... And Indiana beat Maryland and Purdue. They whooped Maryland even. 3 things hurt them: 1. Losing in Maui and getting torched by Duke. 2. Losing to Michigan first game of the B1G tourney. 3. Committee wanting IU-UK and then a UK/IU-UNC game.

Cool... And Indiana beat Maryland and Purdue. They whooped Maryland even. 3 things hurt them: 1. Losing in Maui and getting torched by Duke. 2. Losing to Michigan first game of the B1G tourney. 3. Committee wanting IU-UK and then a UK/IU-UNC game.
Don't disagree with any of that. I'll even add that Indiana swept the second place team--which I want to say was either MSU or Iowa.

Here's how I see it: Indiana probably would have won the B1G in 2016, regardless of the schedule. They won the league by 2 games. Maybe they would have lost a tough road game they didn't play, but it's hard to believe they would have lost them all.

I think the same thing is basically true of Purdue this year. Purdue doesn't have the toughest B1G schedule. But that's not really evidence that Purdue couldn't win against a tougher schedule. Yes, Purdue is 0-2 against the next best teams (that is a concern). But it's also 2 losses by a grand total of 6 points. And here's the thing, Purdue has taken care of business against everyone else. No other B1G team can say that.

Don't disagree with any of that. I'll even add that Indiana swept the second place team--which I want to say was either MSU or Iowa.

Here's how I see it: Indiana probably would have won the B1G in 2016, regardless of the schedule. They won the league by 2 games. Maybe they would have lost a tough road game they didn't play, but it's hard to believe they would have lost them all.

I think the same thing is basically true of Purdue this year. Purdue doesn't have the toughest B1G schedule. But that's not really evidence that Purdue couldn't win against a tougher schedule. Yes, Purdue is 0-2 against the next best teams (that is a concern). But it's also 2 losses by a grand total of 6 points. And here's the thing, Purdue has taken care of business against everyone else. No other B1G team can say that.
Oh we got absolutely whooped AT MSU. Only played them once. Denzel Valentine and crew. Did sweep Iowa. Won at Michigan, which had an awesome 25-0 run to end the 1st half. Big Ten was top heavy that year as well. But...
Indiana made the Sweet 16
Maryland made the Sweet 16
Wisconsin went to the Sweet 16

But Purdue also lost to Arky Little Rock and Michigan State for whooped by 15 seed Middle Tennessee(who also beat Pitinos best Minnesota team that very next season in the first round).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Indiana already projected with one of the toughest schedules while Purdue and and Illinois had two of the weakest. Northwestern and Ohio State basically swapped. Michigan is something no one can explain.
If you saw how yesterdays game went, i hope iu gets all of that and more coming at them. We didn't play well, but even the commentators were saying stuff about fouls. Edey's arms were proof too. Iu fans are in full force this week coming out of their hibernation mode as they started winning games.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
If you saw how yesterdays game went, i hope iu gets all of that and more coming at them. We didn't play well, but even the commentators were saying stuff about fouls. Edey's arms were proof too. Iu fans are in full force this week coming out of their hibernation mode as they started winning games.
Technically, people who wear clownpants don't hibernate, but spend the winter in Sarasota FL.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
I hadn't checked the standings in awhile, but I just noticed that 7 out of our 11 B1G wins have come against the worst 4 teams. Minnesota 2, Nebraska 2, Penn State 2, and Ohio State. In fact we're only 2 and 2 against teams in the top half of the league.

We're good enough to beat anyone in the country but we've really ended up having a favorable schedule up until now.

Five our last 7 games are against upper division teams. I think we'll win them all (maybe lose one or two) but it should be a good gauge on how ready we are for the tournament,
This clown was on to something although his predictions didn't hold up well.

Still 7-0 against the bottom feeders, but now only 5-4 against the rest.

This clown was on to something although his predictions didn't hold up well.

Still 7-0 against the bottom feeders, but now only 5-4 against the rest.
and that record is going to win the Big 10 title for us. We are not as good as we thought we were a month ago, but a Big 10 title is great for a team no one thought would compete this year. Then get in the tourney with a 2 or a 3 seed and see what happens.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT