ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Thompson Commits!

I thin k he does. If we signed Tyger in 2018, with our limited scholarships in 2019, do yo u believe we'd be looking to sign another PG? I highly doubt it. maybe we'd sign a guard, but if Tyger's on board, my belief is if we signed a guard in 2019, it wouldn't be a PG. So yes, if we signed Tyger, he'd be the PG we need.

I get tired of you people calling others with differing viewpoints as trolls. that's an 80's term. that went out of style with the Smurfs. it's time you came up with a new term.
Trolling.jpg

Well, I get tired of you accusing others of calling people a troll when they did not. And I get tired of you answering for someone else when he has not demonstrated that he knows what he is talking about.

He is implying that Thompson's commitment means we missed out on Tyger. And it seems you agree with him.

I doubt that you have watched Thompson as much as Matt Painter and his staff has. So you and your negative buddy declaring that Thompson is not a point guard carries little weight.

I didn't read that or interpret that from his post - you did. I don't really see many similarities in Tyger's game and IT's game. IT likes to score and Tyger likes to dish.

the question is, if Tyger does commit, does Purdue really have to go after and sign a PG for 2019? Why not say, with Tyger or Eastern, we found his backcourt compliment in IT?

And to answer your question, I doubt anybody on this board has watched any Indiana basketball player as much as Painter has. Just because a guy doesn't sit on the front row of an Indiana basketball gym 24/7 and doesn't have 50,000 posts doesn't mean he's not entitled to post his opinion.

it gets tiring - almost every single thread we generate gets turned into an off subject pissing contest . and I'm not the guy who's starting them.

So just to make this a little easier. We signed a guard for the class of 2019. He has the ability to shoot, but also has the same amount of average assists as his PG brother in high school. Painter recruited him and I'm sure will mold him at whatever position he deems necessary.

Last edited:
I didn't read that or interpret that from his post - you did. I don't really see many similarities in Tyger's game and IT's game. IT likes to score and Tyger likes to dish.

the question is, if Tyger does commit, does Purdue really have to go after and sign a PG for 2019? Why not say, with Tyger or Eastern, we found his backcourt compliment in IT?

And to answer your question, I doubt anybody on this board has watched any Indiana basketball player as much as Painter has. Just because a guy doesn't sit on the front row of an Indiana basketball gym 24/7 and doesn't have 50,000 posts doesn't mean he's not entitled to post his opinion.

it gets tiring - almost every single thread we generate gets turned into an off subject pissing contest . and I'm not the guy who's starting them.
He wrote that Tyger was the guy we wanted, not Thompson. I asked him for clarification and you felt the need to respond for him. Why? My question was not addressed to you, but you agreed with his opinion and told me what he meant. Are you in the same room with him? Is this poster a personal friend or family member? He continues to refer to Thompson as if he is a commitment for the 2018 recruiting class. I asked if that is what he believes. If I wanted to know what YOU believe, I would have addressed my post to you. This is how message boards work.

If anyone is trying to prevent people from expressing their opinion or having a discussion, it's you. If, as you say, you get tired of it, then you have complete control over stopping yourself from doing it.

He wrote that Tyger was the guy we wanted, not Thompson. I asked him for clarification and you felt the need to respond for him. Why? My question was not addressed to you, but you agreed with his opinion and told me what he meant. Are you in the same room with him? Is this poster a personal friend or family member? He continues to refer to Thompson as if he is a commitment for the 2018 recruiting class. I asked if that is what he believes. If I wanted to know what YOU believe, I would have addressed my post to you. This is how message boards work.

If anyone is trying to prevent people from expressing their opinion or having a discussion, it's you. If, as you say, you get tired of it, then you have complete control over stopping yourself from doing it.
IMO, this takes us our of the running for Tyger. Therefore, I will use "was" when referring to his recruitment as well.

I can tell you something else that gets tiring. When someone posts a positive thought about a Purdue player or a reason to celebrate, there's always someone who has to jump into the thread to give us their "expert" negative thoughts.

LOL. And speaking of people who only show up to post negative opinions about Purdue players, then admitting he didn't watch them play.
You're literally an idiot. I made a comment about Nojel before the rutgers game and someone referenced that post about it after the game was done. I've seen him play many times. You're not a very good troll.

How about Moron?

Isiah is playing PG for Zionsville. Do you know where GRob III was ranked after Sophmore season? Bout where IT is now.

He is just starting his Jr. year. Geesh. Let’s see by 2019 where he is.

But I am going to guess you’re one of those that doesn’t see PJ very highly. Am I right? Isaiah has been around our program for 4 years. I am pretty sure Matt knows exactly what he is and can be for the Boilers.

On the PJ issue you're right. and my previous posts will prove it. Last year I wanted Carsen to start over PJ, and I wanted Edwards to play SF and I wanted a twin towers of Haas and Biggie.

This year I wanted Edwards to still play SF, and a twin towers of Haarms and Haas with Eastern starting over PJ. It's in a lot of my preseason posts.

I'm not a big PJ fan and never was. I'm not a huge Phinisee fan either, but I know some posters like him. It's not that I'm not high on PJ. It's just I'm more of a national basketball fan than Indiana based fan and I'm higher on other players. I like Langford not because he's from Indiana. I like him because, nationally, he good. the fact he's from Indiana means nothing to me. it's the same with PJ and IT. they're both nice guards, but neither would be my #1 priority.

Would I rather have somebody else? Yes and no. Bob Knight selected a player with a lot less talent than Charles Barkley for his Olympic team because that player better fit the system Bob knight wanted. And they won. I believe we would agree there are plenty of other more talented PGs than PJ. But, like Bob Knight's Olympic team, PJ fills the roll that Painter wants from his PG. Would Purdue have been as good or better last year if we had Ball or Mason as our starter instead of PJ? I believe so.

PJ is the glue of Purdue's current team. but if I were a college coach, he would not be the first PG I would go after to start for my team. And a look back in history, PJ was not painter's first choice either. I'm not down on IT either. I'm just not as excited about him as some people here are . at least I'm being honest about my opinions, and I haven't flip flopped..

Everyone relax. Isaiah may not be highly ranked and he may not be the athlete that Carsen Edwards is but that doesn't mean he won't have a long successful career for Purdue.

PJ isn't the most talented but he would have a role on every team in the country.

Isaiah seems to have the right attitude and is prepared to compete for his minutes. We can always use quality depth at the PG position and Isaiah, just like his brother, may end up being the point guard we need.

You're literally an idiot. In a thread complimenting his play, I made a NEGATIVE comment about Nojel before the rutgers game and someone referenced that post about it after the game was done. I admitted I didn't watch the game because I was too busy. You're not a very good troll.
FIFY

I believe IT will be a PG when he gets here.
IMO that is the only way that getting a commitment from Thompson would be linked to Tyger's recruiting. If Thompson is not a PG, as some say, it makes it very difficult to argue that getting a commitment from him for 2019 takes us out of the running for a true PG in 2018?

Mathias - offers from Butler, Purdue, WVU
Carsen - offers from Houston, Vandy, Kansas St, Virginia Tech
Cline - Purdue only offer
Wheeler - unranked offers from St. Joes, Temple, Pitt, FGCU
Haarms - Colorado, Wazzou, Vandy
PJ - Purdue only offer

Now tell me...which of these guys would you classify as having substantially better offers than what Isaiah got? Thompson had offers from Purdue, Butler, and Indiana. When compared, they seem as good and if not better than those players listed.

Nice post. This, to me, indirectly shows how good of a coach Painter is. Based on the talent we get, we outplay/outperform our level. It would be nice, of course, to get even better talent because when Painter does have 1 or 2 elite talents, no doubt, we play at very high levels (Baby Boilers, Swanigan, etc, or like this year with 4 experienced seniors).

I do think the caliber of player Painter has been able to recruit has been trending upward the past few seasons and the player list above shows that Painter is able to find and land players that are slightly underrated IMO. Blue bloods weren't recruiting our players and the offers we are competing with are in lower tier conferences (compared to B1G), so Purdue clearly was the best offer. Yet, Painter is able to see something others don't see, develop that talent and turn them into Upper Tier B1G teams that - every 4 or so years - can win conference championships. Carsen and Haarms are particularly impressive from a recruiting standpoint since they have contributed right away as freshman at pretty high levels (seems like they could play at bigger programs but weren't recognized or recruited by them).

I think the past couple years, our marketing dept has improved which may entice more elite talent to consider us. A deep tourney run would certainly help as well.

His own shoes will be fine....he has his own game.
and his game is different. Still, I suspect we as fans know Purdue is getting more than just a ballplayer whose head we do not know. I was never in doubt...perhaps ignorantly so...that he would be a Boiler. Now let's hope the rules don't go back to allowing more physical play becasue he AND Hunter are very thin. Happy to learn this and happy to see the family who watched PJ step aside a few years as others were recruited through transfers with doubt of what all PJ could handle find Purdue the best place for ANOTHER son. he has more height than PJ and I hope the head we have all grown accustomed to PJ and I suspect his head is squarely on his shoulders. Dad was a player and understands what was best for his sons...and no doubt had some hard times being a parent and having SOOOOOOOO MANY fans critique his son...by so much of the media and fans. I doubt Matt has any head issues with him and that in itself and a willingness to do what is needed to continue to improve makes him a good get...and as I said last year....I was surprised he was quick enough to guard Phinesse last year at Jeff. Welcome aboard Isiah! Thank you Lasalle for raising you children to strive for their goals and providing enough substance to be a Boiler instead of "just" another ball player...

Everyone relax. Isaiah may not be highly ranked and he may not be the athlete that Carsen Edwards is but that doesn't mean he won't have a long successful career for Purdue.

PJ isn't the most talented but he would have a role on every team in the country.

Isaiah seems to have the right attitude and is prepared to compete for his minutes. We can always use quality depth at the PG position and Isaiah, just like his brother, may end up being the point guard we need.
I don't think Purdue is going to be a school for one and dones. that said"IF" a player is on the end of a bench at some time or most of the time...he still serves a valuable purpose that can help or hinder the team. It wasn't that long ago we witnessed Matt bring in the seals and not long we saw a GREAT shift in the culture BACK to where Purdue was a tough out. I saw isiah ONCE last year and I won't pretend to be an expert. However, he is quicker than I thought and can shoot the ball. As another poster has written...he hasn't begun to get hsi strength and if he can get stronger, works like the seniors and has the maturity of PJ....he will make a lot of Purdue fans happy down the road.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Don't know what everyone's opinion is as far as "athleticism" is concerned, but IT appears athletic enough IMO. He ain't gonna do a windmill dunk on you, but he is one of those players that I'd call opportunistic, or sneaky.... with good court vision to boot. Hard working player that keeps coming at you. I watched a couple of videos, and it looked to me like he matured a lot in the time period. It also looked like he was using his left to finish at the basket, something he wasn't doing in a earlier video. His feet look big to me.......is he still growing? Either way, IT is a Boiler now........and I am backing his ass from this day forward.

Big get? Have seen him play a number of times and he is undersized for the Big, not very athletic, not strong, and not a true point guard.
Ranked 212th by the way.
Redshirt and hopefully he can help some by the time he is a senior.
Used to be in conference with Zionsville years ago. Any chance you know Greg Hall if you attend Zionsville games?

Mathias - offers from Butler, Purdue, WVU
Carsen - offers from Houston, Vandy, Kansas St, Virginia Tech
Cline - Purdue only offer
Wheeler - unranked offers from St. Joes, Temple, Pitt, FGCU
Haarms - Colorado, Wazzou, Vandy
PJ - Purdue only offer

Now tell me...which of these guys would you classify as having substantially better offers than what Isaiah got? Thompson had offers from Purdue, Butler, and Indiana. When compared, they seem as good and if not better than those players listed.
Good point and to add to it, I believe many of the schools that were considering offering IT backed off once Purdue offered. They knew today was inevitable.

I had to come on this board 4 years ago and defend PJ after we lost Glen Watson to Nebraska . Anyway I'm not going to rehash that whole thing . I have seen him play and twice against Rob Phinesee and with Indy Spiece and Indiana Elite . He is a PG he does play shooting guard for Zionsville this year because he is a better scorer off the ball . In AAU he plays PG for one of the top Nike teams in the country as does Tyger Campbell although Tyger was 17U and IT was 16U . His commitment means nothing to Tygers recruitment if anything it helps . There are 13 scholarship players so if the only way you land a PG is if the 12 other players are not PG'S IMO pass on that PG . For the record we have 5 players on the current roster who played PG in hs . Vince, Ryan , Nojel , Carsen and PJ . And you can add Eric Hunter to the list also . This kid is legit and IMO he will be as good or better than PJ and may even be better than his Father was considering what those two have done that is saying a lot . Great pick up !

I had to come on this board 4 years ago and defend PJ after we lost Glen Watson to Nebraska . Anyway I'm not going to rehash that whole thing . I have seen him play and twice against Rob Phinesee and with Indy Spiece and Indiana Elite . He is a PG he does play shooting guard for Zionsville this year because he is a better scorer off the ball . In AAU he plays PG for one of the top Nike teams in the country as does Tyger Campbell although Tyger was 17U and IT was 16U . His commitment means nothing to Tygers recruitment if anything it helps . There are 13 scholarship players so if the only way you land a PG is if the 12 other players are not PG'S IMO pass on that PG . For the record we have 5 players on the current roster who played PG in hs . Vince, Ryan , Nojel , Carsen and PJ . And you can add Eric Hunter to the list also . This kid is legit and IMO he will be as good or better than PJ and may even be better than his Father was considering what those two have done that is saying a lot . Great pick up !
Amen.

I am sick of tired of people like Wolegib telling me what PJ can’t do. What I know is PJ is a winner, doesn’t commit many turnovers and always give our offense a high likelihood of success.

Last edited:
As Tommy Boy said “I can get a good look at a t bone by sticking my head up a bulls ass but I’ll take the butchers word for it”. I’ll take Coach Painter’s evaluation of college basketball talent while you self appointed experts stick your heads up your asses.

Last edited:
As Tommy Boy said “I can get a good look at a t bone by sticking my head up a bulls ass but I’ll take the butchers word for it”. I’ll take Coach Painter’s evaluation of college basketball talent while you self appointed experts stick your heads up your asses.
I learned a new saying! ;)

Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT