ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Thompson Commits!

so this is for 2019, right? and it keeps saying he's a PG. he's a lot more like a short shooting guard.

so this is for 2019, right? and it keeps saying he's a PG. he's a lot more like a short shooting guard.

He is in fact 2019, so our first for that class, and while he does score in bunches he has great vision required of a PG. I would assume he was recruited as a PG as well.

Reactions: nagemj02
Big get? Have seen him play a number of times and he is undersized for the Big, not very athletic, not strong, and not a true point guard.
Ranked 212th by the way.
Redshirt and hopefully he can help some by the time he is a senior.

IT PHONED HOME! He could be are next great combo guard. Very excited about this commit. He has been to many games/practices and knows what it takes to play for Painter/Purdue. Forget the rating on this one...we want this guy on the team.

Big get? Have seen him play a number of times and he is undersized for the Big, not very athletic, not strong, and not a true point guard.
Ranked 212th by the way.
Redshirt and hopefully he can help some by the time he is a senior.
New account, only 2 posts are both denigrating, yup you're a troll. Now kindly **** off.

Ok, so he's not ranked very high. and he's short and he's more of a SG. sounds a lot like Carsen Edwards . I guess this would lead Eastern to be our floor general like Magic was. that's not a bad thing.

He is for sure a good team guy. Just not what we need to lead us to the top of the big ten and deep into the dance.

Uh-huh. Because "team guys" aren't important in building a great team. Got it.

And though neither of us has a crystal ball, yours is the least bullish opinion on the kid I've heard so far. Many think he's going to be a special player.

Regardless, I couldn't be happier with his commitment. Even though they're very different players, I have a feeling he's going to have one thing in common with his brother: being a foundational piece on many successful teams.

Ok, so he's not ranked very high. and he's short and he's more of a SG. sounds a lot like Carsen Edwards . I guess this would lead Eastern to be our floor general like Magic was. that's not a bad thing.

Yes. Eastern is going to have to take it. Thompson is not close to being as athletic as Edwards. Hunter has more of a chance to help in that roll as well

Reactions: wolf42pb
Come on be honest, troll or idiot?

I can see his point.

IT is not really a PG. those of you who say he is are just trying to justify your love for him. IT is a shooting guard much like Alan Iverson. And yes, there are many who would claim Iverson was also a PG.

Looking at the year of his arrival, We will have Eastern, Hunter and Sasha. of that bunch, Eastern is the closest thing to a floor general / point guard.

I keep hearing IT could "learn" how to be a PG. but that just means he's not currently a PG. Could he be one? I don't know. But rather than saying what he could be, why not call him for what he currently is? He's a SG. and the fact is, we need SGs just as much in 2019 as we need PGs.

That's like everybody trying to say Eastern could become a SF because of his height. Eastern's best position is PG. So just leave him there.

it's OK to have a short SG who can handle the ball. We need some outside shooting. However, if he can't get his shot off against bigger guards, or of bigger guards keep shooting 3's over him, then we have a problem. I believe we'll next year in high school how he plays against bigger guards. I suspect he'll hold his own.

"Tyger was the point guard we needed"? Do you know what class Thompson is in? Do you know what class Tyger is in? Based on your posts, you do not.

I thin k he does. If we signed Tyger in 2018, with our limited scholarships in 2019, do yo u believe we'd be looking to sign another PG? I highly doubt it. maybe we'd sign a guard, but if Tyger's on board, my belief is if we signed a guard in 2019, it wouldn't be a PG. So yes, if we signed Tyger, he'd be the PG we need.

I get tired of you people calling others with differing viewpoints as trolls. that's an 80's term. that went out of style with the Smurfs. it's time you came up with a new term.

I can see his point.

IT is not really a PG. those of you who say he is are just trying to justify your love for him. IT is a shooting guard much like Alan Iverson. And yes, there are many who would claim Iverson was also a PG.

Looking at the year of his arrival, We will have Eastern, Hunter and Sasha. of that bunch, Eastern is the closest thing to a floor general / point guard.

I keep hearing IT could "learn" how to be a PG. but that just means he's not currently a PG. Could he be one? I don't know. But rather than saying what he could be, why not call him for what he currently is? He's a SG. and the fact is, we need SGs just as much in 2019 as we need PGs.

That's like everybody trying to say Eastern could become a SF because of his height. Eastern's best position is PG. So just leave him there.

it's OK to have a short SG who can handle the ball. We need some outside shooting. However, if he can't get his shot off against bigger guards, or of bigger guards keep shooting 3's over him, then we have a problem. I believe we'll next year in high school how he plays against bigger guards. I suspect he'll hold his own.

Would you say PJ was a PG or SG coming out of high school?

I thin k he does. If we signed Tyger in 2018, with our limited scholarships in 2019, do yo u believe we'd be looking to sign another PG? I highly doubt it. maybe we'd sign a guard, but if Tyger's on board, my belief is if we signed a guard in 2019, it wouldn't be a PG. So yes, if we signed Tyger, he'd be the PG we need.

I get tired of you people calling others with differing viewpoints as trolls. that's an 80's term. that went out of style with the Smurfs. it's time you came up with a new term.

How about "sllort"?

Thank you. Needs make a big part in offers.
I hope I am wrong on IT - but again, I have seen him many times. There is a reason he didnt hold a lot of big offers

Well, I get tired of you accusing others of calling people a troll when they did not. And I get tired of you answering for someone else when he has not demonstrated that he knows what he is talking about.

He is implying that Thompson's commitment means we missed out on Tyger. And it seems you agree with him.

I doubt that you have watched Thompson as much as Matt Painter and his staff has. So you and your negative buddy declaring that Thompson is not a point guard carries little weight.

How about Moron?

Isiah is playing PG for Zionsville. Do you know where GRob III was ranked after Sophmore season? Bout where IT is now.

I hope I am wrong on IT - but again, I have seen him many times. There is a reason he didnt hold a lot of big offers

He is just starting his Jr. year. Geesh. Let’s see by 2019 where he is.

But I am going to guess you’re one of those that doesn’t see PJ very highly. Am I right? Isaiah has been around our program for 4 years. I am pretty sure Matt knows exactly what he is and can be for the Boilers.

Last edited:
He is for sure a good team guy. Just not what we need to lead us to the top of the big ten and deep into the dance.
Hmmm, I wonder why CMP targeted him as a high priority player and accepted a commitment from him a year before signing day? I trust the eyes of CMP to identify talent and then develop that talent as well. This is a kid who has a high ceiling due to his physical development still not being close along with having a high basketball IQ.

As a comparison, Mathias was a mid or high 100 recruit and as manny have said...between 100-250, there is likely not much difference in current talent...the difference is truly the potential they posses and if a school can develop that talent. I think CMP and his staff has shown they’ve been an elite program in that regard with Moore, Johnson, Biggie, Mathias, Haas, and Carsen in then last 7-8 years.

Painter was quoted once after the Bryson Scott commitment that he wants a PG in every class.

Not a all. Just a realistic Purdue fan. I have seen this kid play many times. Tyger was the PG we needed.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Mathias - offers from Butler, Purdue, WVU
Carsen - offers from Houston, Vandy, Kansas St, Virginia Tech
Cline - Purdue only offer
Wheeler - unranked offers from St. Joes, Temple, Pitt, FGCU
Haarms - Colorado, Wazzou, Vandy
PJ - Purdue only offer

Now tell me...which of these guys would you classify as having substantially better offers than what Isaiah got? Thompson had offers from Purdue, Butler, and Indiana. When compared, they seem as good and if not better than those players listed.

How about Moron?

Isiah is playing PG for Zionsville. Do you know where GRob III was ranked after Sophmore season? Bout where IT is now.

He is just starting his Jr. year. Geesh. Let’s see by 2019 where he is.

But I am going to guess you’re one of those that doesn’t see PJ very highly. Am I right? Isaiah has been around our program for 4 years. I am pretty sure Matt knows exactly what he is and can be for the Boilers.
Not to mention he has played pickup games against these same guys since he was in 8th grade...I’m sure CMP has heard through the grapevine how he competes.

Would you say PJ was a PG or SG coming out of high school?

PJ was a very late addition to our class the year he signed. At that time, we already had Stephens in school and Dakota as a recruit. I thought PJ was a PG, and I thought Painter informed him when adding him to our team that he would be a PG, and not a SG. and yes, I thought PJ was a PG in high school.

and I'll admit that unlike man y posters here, I DON"T follow Indiana high school basketball and rabidly as many here do. but if yo u read the posts of those rabid fans, the majority claimed PJ was a PG in high school. and those same fans claim IT is more of a SG.

I'm fine with having a short SG, but I believe you should call him what he is. The Bucks have Bledsoe. the Cavs have Isaiah. Short SGs do exist. as do tall PGs.

ADVERTISEMENT