ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the start of Brohm's decline?

Plenty of schools will be looking for qbs. Miami, Florida, etc. Things are going to happen, geese, as soon as iu chokes it bowl game again.

Why 23M to get Allen, not that Auburn or anyone appears to be interested?

A Purdue fan can only hope...,

Cliff notes version

This board is basically saying that Jeff Brohm one morning woke up and decided that he was no longer interested in his top priority recruit (McCulley) and instead decided he wanted a kid that was verbaled to Minnesota as a DB who no other P5 school was currently recruiting as a QB. Ironically McCulley committed to IU less than 24 hours later.

Reality is, McCulley informed Brohm that he would be going to IU and Brohm then jumped on Jackson who Purdue offered a year earlier as an athlete.
You mean your Fake Coach reality . “I have a contact in Lawrence that I know” 😂 So over 40 years at school. Only person that could be is Jack Keefer. So the basketball coach at LN telling you what he thinks happened to a football recruit is the “Word“. Sure it is. Shouldn’t he be out trying to recruit another 7 footer so he can win another State Championship? Can’t win one without one no matter how much talent he is blessed with. I think I’ll believe some proven reputable reporters with incredible proven integrity over you and your “alleged source”.

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85
I just wouldn't read too much into this season. You can reserve the right to tell me "I told you so" if next season is a turd, but this season was so strange that I am willing to just put an asterisk by it and move on.

You mean your Fake Coach reality . “I have a contact in Lawrence that I know” 😂 So over 40 years at school. Only person that could be is Jack Keefer. So the basketball coach at LN telling you what he thinks happened to a football recruit is the “Word“. Sure it is. Shouldn’t he be out trying to recruit another 7 footer so he can win another State Championship? Can’t win one without one no matter how much talent he is blessed with. I think I’ll believe some proven reputable reporters with incredible proven integrity over you and your “alleged source”.
Ignoring the fact that McCulley plays on the basketball team for one Jack Keefer, nobody outside of Purdue mouthpieces have shared that story. Seriously use your brain. Remember Iowa, McCulley's other top 3 team, took a QB commit the same day that Purdue took Jackson, a flip from Ball St. Nobody is calling Brian or anybody else, except probably Brian's source if he has one, a liar. But even without any "alleged source" the fact pattern speaks for itself.

To reiterate: two teams in a QB's top 3 take a QB recruit (neither of whom had anywhere near the QB offers or rating McCulley did) less than 24 hours before said QB recruit announces his commitment. Come on. Anyways that's the last I'll speak of it and nobody in their right mind is out here trying to defend Coach Geez's posts here, but he is right on this one.

Reactions: Coach Geez
Haze never came close to a class like this from an average ranking perspective.
If ranked last in the big ten in recruiting is not a insult,something wrong with this fan base. This guy is sitting in his 2004 Honda laughing and here is another 5.5 million to deposit in my bank account.We need a football coach asap.

Since guys are getting a free year and no one-year wait, I expect Turtle to enter the transfer portal as soon as iu loses its bowl game. Although I am sure he loves all the love (and the freedom to choke women if he feels like it), he probably won't want to sit another year if he is the competitor he claims to be.
Do you really think Tuttle will transfer when he will be the starting QB when the season starts? Penix is likely not going to be able to come back until October of next year.

McCulley is a star on the LN basketball team, clown.

Ignoring the fact that McCulley plays on the basketball team for one Jack Keefer, nobody outside of Purdue mouthpieces have shared that story. Seriously use your brain. Remember Iowa, McCulley's other top 3 team, took a QB commit the same day that Purdue took Jackson, a flip from Ball St. Nobody is calling Brian or anybody else, except probably Brian's source if he has one, a liar. But even without any "alleged source" the fact pattern speaks for itself.

To reiterate: two teams in a QB's top 3 take a QB recruit (neither of whom had anywhere near the QB offers or rating McCulley did) less than 24 hours before said QB recruit announces his commitment. Come on. Anyways that's the last I'll speak of it and nobody in their right mind is out here trying to defend Coach Geez's posts here, but he is right on this one.

Translation: "D@MMIT, you Purdue fans! You MUST validate our program!"

SMH

Reactions: Riveting and BBG
I
anybody with a mind knew that the Ohio St game was an aberration and not the norm for our future. There was so much outside emotion going into that game. it was like every player was charged up for that game to honor our special Boiler fan. I almost believe the refs were also a little favorable to us to help us win. that game was much like when the Saints returned to play at the Super Down after hurricane katrina. You knew whoever they played, they would win. You could sense we would beat anybody on that day.

if you really thought our team would be that good for every subsequent game, I sincerely hope you have taken off those rose colored glasses. that game was kind of like the Agasi team that upset Michigan 14-13 in the 70's. Never to be repeated again.
.....think most thought the program would be on a a gradual climb......not a staggering decline!! Been pretty damn disappointing since..

4 losses in a row, lost to Rutgers, 4 star QB decommitment and a down recruiting year(went from 32 to 83 in overall rankings).

Can we ever recover?

After the Ohio State win I thought Brohm would turn the program around and the team had so much momentum with recruiting.

Was Bob Diaco a good hire at DC? I'm not sure if switching to a 3-4 is a good idea for Purdue and the performance of the defense has been abysmal. I never thought I'd miss Holt and his son but here we are.

What happened? What went wrong? Is this the end of Purdue's rise?

If brohm gets rid of Diaco now he will have a meh season next year then be off and running

4 losses in a row, lost to Rutgers, 4 star QB decommitment and a down recruiting year(went from 32 to 83 in overall rankings).

Can we ever recover?

After the Ohio State win I thought Brohm would turn the program around and the team had so much momentum with recruiting.

Was Bob Diaco a good hire at DC? I'm not sure if switching to a 3-4 is a good idea for Purdue and the performance of the defense has been abysmal. I never thought I'd miss Holt and his son but here we are.

What happened? What went wrong? Is this the end of Purdue's rise?
You have to be up to go down. He's yet to be up with his own players.

You are so doom and gloom. Yes this is not a good class. But it is a very small class after 2 back to back large classes that were 5th and 7th in the Big. This was never going to be great class because of the numbers and lack of immediate playing time at skill positions.

Ring the panic bell when Brohm goes 4+ straight years with one of the worst classes in the Big. Thats when we hit Hazell level.
Numbers are not an issue at all, nor is immediate playing time at any position, save maybe WR.

Programs are built by adding great classes to great classes, not by adding two good classes and then having a down year in recruiting.

If it happens again next year, it will be time to ring the bell rather than waiting to see just how bad the following two years turn out to be.

Numbers are not an issue at all, nor is immediate playing time at any position, save maybe WR.

Programs are built by adding great classes to great classes, not by adding two good classes and then having a down year in recruiting.

If it happens again next year, it will be time to ring the bell rather than waiting to see just how bad the following two years turn out to be.
Yea ok.
our last 3 classes had 26, 25, and 22 recruits. Thats 73 in 3 classes. That leaves 12 scholarships for the last 1.5 classes (including RS seniors). Even with attrition that is incredibly tight. Numbers had to be low. So yea an issue.

I disagree completely about early PT as well. What position on offense are you telling a freshman he can start? None that I can think of. Maybe if we landed someone in the upper 90s... but we aren’t. Defense has some holes to fill for sure But at this point Brohm is drawing in a ton of big time defenders like we have been on the other side of the ball.

I expect that next year will not be a huge class either unless we see a lot more attrition so more than likely not looking at a class in the upper half.

Really?

An upset?

OVER #2 OHIO STATE??

That was an ... "aberration"???

Ya THINK??!

What about the other 2 "upsets" that year over ranked teams?

Goodness.
What was our overall record? And OSU has a habit of losing a game on the road they should have beat!
And yes, you could tell with all the emotions of that week it wouldn’t have mattered who Purdue played. They would win.
Unfortunately that day will only come once!

and how did Purdue finish? Were we even ranked? What was our Big 10 standing? It was a great win and memory, But not really indicative of what would follow!

You are so doom and gloom. Yes this is not a good class. But it is a very small class after 2 back to back large classes that were 5th and 7th in the Big. This was never going to be great class because of the numbers and lack of immediate playing time at skill positions.

Ring the panic bell when Brohm goes 4+ straight years with one of the worst classes in the Big. Thats when we hit Hazell level.
A small class can still include elite athletes. This class has only 1. And many here had said all year long Yanni was a given to select Purdue because of his family ties! If not for Yanni’s family, what type of recruiting did the coaches actually do?

A small class can still include elite athletes. This class has only 1. And many here had said all year long Yanni was a given to select Purdue because of his family ties! If not for Yanni’s family, what type of recruiting did the coaches actually do?

They got 4 pretty solid o-linemen. Plus what 8-9 others who might or might not turn out to be good. Wasn’t Rondale a 3 star? I will take a patient approach rather than stressing about our coaches downfall after one down class.

They got 4 pretty solid o-linemen. Plus what 8-9 others who might or might not turn out to be good. Wasn’t Rondale a 3 star? I will take a patient approach rather than stressing about our coaches downfall after one down class.
Yes Purdue got a solid class. But every BIG 10 team with the exception of Illinois did a lot better. We didn’t gain any ground on any of our competition! You cannot be better than your opponent if you pin your hopes that Purdue will develop our players better than they will. Developing players is no longer one of Purdue’s strengths! Look at our seniors!

Yes Purdue got a solid class. But every BIG 10 team with the exception of Illinois did a lot better. We didn’t gain any ground on any of our competition! You cannot be better than your opponent if you pin your hopes that Purdue will develop our players better than they will. Developing players is no longer one of Purdue’s strengths! Look at our seniors!
I can hope we develop better. But I agree that recruiting is a huge part of building a program. This is the first time Brohm has had a class like this. I am not panicking.

Well, the line was infinitely better this year than last , so, my point to the last two years is bearing out. Lines take time. We saw a massive jump this year.

Well, the line was infinitely better this year than last , so, my point to the last two years is bearing out. Lines take time. We saw a massive jump this year.

I agree. And I would also say we added 4 more strong recruits in this class. I think we could be a year or two away from the o-line being one of the strongest position groups we have.

Reactions: MisterBlack7
I agree. And I would also say we added 4 more strong recruits in this class. I think we could be a year or two away from the o-line being one of the strongest position groups we have.
Agree. In fact, Wole can attest to the fact that i have said it takes that long to build a quality line. Wole?

What was our overall record? And OSU has a habit of losing a game on the road they should have beat!
And yes, you could tell with all the emotions of that week it wouldn’t have mattered who Purdue played. They would win.
Unfortunately that day will only come once!

and how did Purdue finish? Were we even ranked? What was our Big 10 standing? It was a great win and memory, But not really indicative of what would follow!

Uhhhh.... you were focused on the OHIO STATE GAME being an ... "aberration".

Unless a team goes undefeated there are always the "what ifs".

You're spewing out b.s. then wanting to change the narrative when it's exposed as b.s.

My goodness. You urinate all over the program, and in the past you've disappeared when things begin to go well.

With at least two QBs in the love nest thinking they should start, something is going to give. Penix to Florida seems a possibility since Trask will be leaving. Turtle to anywhere if Penix doesn't leave.

This will be the start of Rev Coach Leo's decline. It would have started faster if the Bucket game were still on.

Occurred to you yet, geese, why nobody mentions Coach Leo in connection with Az, Auburn, et al?
If there was a connection to those schools, I would hope IU would not be as Stupid as Purdue AD and pay Allen 6 MILLION dollars. just because of rumors. Old Brohm Bamboozled Purdue.

If there was a connection to those schools, I would hope IU would not be as Stupid as Purdue AD and pay Allen 6 MILLION dollars. just because of rumors. Old Brohm Bamboozled Purdue.
you clowns are obsessed over what Purdue has done.

You have a history of being the worst program in CFB. Nobody gives a d@mn about your strategy for retaining top coaching talent. To think otherwise is sheer stupidity.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Yea ok.
our last 3 classes had 26, 25, and 22 recruits. Thats 73 in 3 classes. That leaves 12 scholarships for the last 1.5 classes (including RS seniors). Even with attrition that is incredibly tight. Numbers had to be low. So yea an issue.

I disagree completely about early PT as well. What position on offense are you telling a freshman he can start? None that I can think of. Maybe if we landed someone in the upper 90s... but we aren’t. Defense has some holes to fill for sure But at this point Brohm is drawing in a ton of big time defenders like we have been on the other side of the ball.

I expect that next year will not be a huge class either unless we see a lot more attrition so more than likely not looking at a class in the upper half.
I am confident that Purdue does not have 73 guys remaining from those 3 classes...didn't like 7 guys just opt out two weeks ago, and, at least two other guys transfer? That does not even account for the guys that are yet to leave, nor the fact that there will be additional scholarships allowed due to the waiver being granted to everyone...so, while Purdue may not have had 25 scholarships to issue, it absolutely had/has more than 12, and, even if it had 12...all the more reason to focus on higher level quality...when I see Purdue once again winning recruiting battles over/with MAC schools, that should not be happening in general, more so in a year where you allege there are less scholarships available.

How many freshman start in general? Never mind, how many at Purdue (where it is much more likely than most nationally relevant programs)? Guys that are talented enough/good enough have, and will, find there way to the field at Purdue...especially elite talent. It is not as if Purdue is stacked at any position that a HS All-American could not come in and compete at immediately for playing time...Purdue has not had a known commodity at QB the 4 years that this staff has been there, and, longer than that quite frankly (despite having multiple talented QBs during that time). Not many true Freshman that are going to start on the OL, but, even that said, a HS All-American caliber guy certainly could (and, at Purdue, most definitely would).

Again, if truly building a program that is going to compete within the B1G (ideally for championships) and nationally, there are not many programs that have "down" years...it is not as if the last two classes were just loaded for that matter...they were good for sure...better than what Purdue has become accustomed to...but, there have been multiple misses within them, and, again, Purdue has no depth aside of about 2 positions, so, there is definitely opportunity, and, the need for more talent...regardless of how many scholarships there are available, and, more so if there truly are not as many scholarships available for a class.

I am confident that Purdue does not have 73 guys remaining from those 3 classes...didn't like 7 guys just opt out two weeks ago, and, at least two other guys transfer? That does not even account for the guys that are yet to leave, nor the fact that there will be additional scholarships allowed due to the waiver being granted to everyone...so, while Purdue may not have had 25 scholarships to issue, it absolutely had/has more than 12, and, even if it had 12...all the more reason to focus on higher level quality...when I see Purdue once again winning recruiting battles over/with MAC schools, that should not be happening in general, more so in a year where you allege there are less scholarships available.

How many freshman start in general? Never mind, how many at Purdue (where it is much more likely than most nationally relevant programs)? Guys that are talented enough/good enough have, and will, find there way to the field at Purdue...especially elite talent. It is not as if Purdue is stacked at any position that a HS All-American could not come in and compete at immediately for playing time...Purdue has not had a known commodity at QB the 4 years that this staff has been there, and, longer than that quite frankly (despite having multiple talented QBs during that time). Not many true Freshman that are going to start on the OL, but, even that said, a HS All-American caliber guy certainly could (and, at Purdue, most definitely would).

Again, if truly building a program that is going to compete within the B1G (ideally for championships) and nationally, there are not many programs that have "down" years...it is not as if the last two classes were just loaded for that matter...they were good for sure...better than what Purdue has become accustomed to...but, there have been multiple misses within them, and, again, Purdue has no depth aside of about 2 positions, so, there is definitely opportunity, and, the need for more talent...regardless of how many scholarships there are available, and, more so if there truly are not as many scholarships available for a class.

Purdue is not in a position to currently get all Americans on demand. Do you not think Brohm is offering? Unfortunately until we incrementally improve we will not get those guys. So yea down years will happen.

The handful of coaches that could get high 4-5 stars to come to Purdue on their own name recognition alone aren’t coming to coach at Purdue because they already have top jobs. And other unproven coaches will go through the same recruiting struggles as Brohm at Purdue. It takes time to build a program.

I've known Jack for many years and I personally don't believe he's the "rumor" type of guy. Always be an up front guy.

Purdue is not in a position to currently get all Americans on demand. Do you not think Brohm is offering? Unfortunately until we incrementally improve we will not get those guys. So yea down years will happen.

The handful of coaches that could get high 4-5 stars to come to Purdue on their own name recognition alone aren’t coming to coach at Purdue because they already have top jobs. And other unproven coaches will go through the same recruiting struggles as Brohm at Purdue. It takes time to build a program.
On this post and topic, we can agree...for the most part at least. The only thing I take some exception with here is the "it takes time to build a program", as there are not many, especially in a Power 5 conference or at a Power 5 program, where they are allowed infinite time to do so...having a down year in recruiting in just the third year in the building/rebuilding process is not only not a good thing, but, it only extends the timeline, and, it increases the pressure on the next/future classes.

On this post and topic, we can agree...for the most part at least. The only thing I take some exception with here is the "it takes time to build a program", as there are not many, especially in a Power 5 conference or at a Power 5 program, where they are allowed infinite time to do so...having a down year in recruiting in just the third year in the building/rebuilding process is not only not a good thing, but, it only extends the timeline, and, it increases the pressure on the next/future classes.

Concur. Certainly not an infinite amount of time. But I am not panicking over one small class ranking 13th. We obviously don’t want and can’t afford 2 or more classes like that in a row.

The decline started after the 2018 win vs OSU. That was the pinnacle of the Brohm era. The Brohm bidding war and contact extension was a prime example of “buying high”. Any doubt should have been put to rest in that debacle vs Auburn. However, it’s clear that 2 years later some are still in denial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT