ADVERTISEMENT

Insurance policy?

Old Gold n Black

True Freshman
Nov 24, 2003
I'm not sure how many irons we have in the fire, but the list of available transfers is dwindling. If Purdue doesn't win the Tyrese Hunter sweepstakes, what is the backup plan? We could potentially aim for a mid-tier upperclassman like Umoja Gibson (Oklamoma) who could start right away. Alternatively we could look for a lower-tier transfer who is willing to accept a backup role behind Braden Smith. Onyebuchi Ezeakudo (Pitt) comes to mind. He is from Fort Wayne, so perhaps there is a draw to play closer to home? This situation wouldn't be ideal, but at least we wouldn't be without a backup PG in the event of injury. Thoughts?

I'm not sure how many irons we have in the fire, but the list of available transfers is dwindling. If Purdue doesn't win the Tyrese Hunter sweepstakes, what is the backup plan? We could potentially aim for a mid-tier upperclassman like Umoja Gibson (Oklamoma) who could start right away. Alternatively we could look for a lower-tier transfer who is willing to accept a backup role behind Braden Smith. Onyebuchi Ezeakudo (Pitt) comes to mind. He is from Fort Wayne, so perhaps there is a draw to play closer to home? This situation wouldn't be ideal, but at least we wouldn't be without a backup PG in the event of injury. Thoughts?
I don't really know who is available or who will be available after guys pull out of the draft. I'm really hoping we can land someone that is a day 1 starter. Getting a guy as a "back up" to a true Freshman with a bad foot is not very comforting.

My guess....Matt's fine with who he has

MP will bring in the best player he can get who doesn't come with any red flags. If that's a star like Hunter that's fantastic. If not he'll be very transparent that they'll have to come in and compete for minutes. Agree that at a minimum it would be good to bring in another primary ball handler for depsh.

My guess....Matt's fine with who he has
Fine for what? A middle of the pack finish in the B1G if we're optimistic?

I think Painter has been pretty vocal about trying to get a guard in the transfer portal.

It is what it is. Your going to have up and down years but at some point you need to be realistic. A 5-10 freshmen at the point without another primary ball handler is not good. God forbid anybody press us because I don't see that ending very well.

Reactions: boilerball2021
Each scenario from best to worst, as I see it:

Plan A: Land a high caliber guard or someone with high upside. Tyrese Hunter?
Plan B: Land a mid tier guard. Umoja Gibson?
Plan C: Land someone, ANYONE to back up Braden Smith. Who backs up Smith if he's injured?
Plan D: Do nothing. I cringe thinking about breaking the press with a team full of forwards and wings.

JMO

Fine for what? A middle of the pack finish in the B1G if we're optimistic?

I think Painter has been pretty vocal about trying to get a guard in the transfer portal.

It is what it is. Your going to have up and down years but at some point you need to be realistic. A 5-10 freshmen at the point without another primary ball handler is not good. God forbid anybody press us because I don't see that ending very well.
Really....look up. The sky isn't falling.

Each scenario from best to worst, as I see it:

Plan A: Land a high caliber guard or someone with high upside. Tyrese Hunter?
Plan B: Land a mid tier guard. Umoja Gibson?
Plan C: Land someone, ANYONE to back up Braden Smith. Who backs up Smith if he's injured?
Plan D: Do nothing. I cringe thinking about breaking the press with a team full of forwards and wings.

JMO
Gibson just picked DePaul.

Isn't Courtney Ramey (Texas) still available? Either our staff isn't interested or he's too butthurt from the tournament loss to consider Purdue.

Reactions: pboiler18
I want Smith he is up for it he will take off like a rocket he is our future and present . It will take an NBA Calibur player to beat him out. Consider he beat out another deserving Indiana MR Basketball candidate who plays a hell of PG himself . Smith should go down as one of the most dynamic players to ever play at Purdue. Also it's Coach Johnsons time to shine with two great guards coming in for him to coach up. I am all in on Smith all in!

I want Smith he is up for it he will take off like a rocket he is our future and present . It will take an NBA Calibur player to beat him out. Consider he beat out another deserving Indiana MR Basketball candidate who plays a hell of PG himself . Smith should go down as one of the most dynamic players to ever play at Purdue. Also it's Coach Johnsons time to shine with two great guards coming in for him to coach up. I am all in on Smith all in!
Lets be real. The guy is 5'10, scored 18 points a game in high school, and his team didn't compete for a state championship but " Smith should go down as one of the most dynamic players to ever play at Purdue."

If he was "the guy" from day 1, I don't think Painter would be out there trying to bring in a transfer. We've gone from hoping we'd get an all B12 guard to "needing insurance" to backup a lightly recruited freshmen. I'm sure that's not were Painter wanted to be at this point.

Things can change pretty quickly but if Purdue wants to compete for a B1G crown they need a little more help and Painter knows it.

I don't really know who is available or who will be available after guys pull out of the draft. I'm really hoping we can land someone that is a day 1 starter. Getting a guy as a "back up" to a true Freshman with a bad foot is not very comforting.
The draft pull outs sounds like the most logical choice. Question are - Can they qualify academically? Do these type of players want to go to school and earn a degree or push all chips into NBA? If just one "smart" player took the right chance on Purdue, they'll be rewarded a degree they'd have to work for. It will open doors later on as opportunity knocks and they no longer have bodies to play the game.

I've always wished for better luck for Painter, but I do not fault the program he runs...EVER! We don't have punks running amuck like many other universities.

Lets be real. The guy is 5'10, scored 18 points a game in high school, and his team didn't compete for a state championship but " Smith should go down as one of the most dynamic players to ever play at Purdue."

If he was "the guy" from day 1, I don't think Painter would be out there trying to bring in a transfer. We've gone from hoping we'd get an all B12 guard to "needing insurance" to backup a lightly recruited freshmen. I'm sure that's not were Painter wanted to be at this point.

Things can change pretty quickly but if Purdue wants to compete for a B1G crown they need a little more help and Painter knows it.
I'm 100% with you on this one. Smith may turn out to be a really good guard for us. Most dynamic ever to play at PU?? Wow, if that turns out to be true then CMP got the steal of the century beating out Montana for him. Let's don't forget he has a bad foot on top of being a true freshman in a very physical conference.

We need to land a guard that can step in day 1 and start on a conference contender. Every day that goes by that we don't land that guy, the less optimistic I become about next season.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. But I would love to hear why you think it would take an "NBA level player" to beat out a lightly recruited guy with a bad foot? I sure hope you are right, because it isn't looking very good for us to land a day 1 starter in the portal.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. But I would love to hear why you think it would take an "NBA level player" to beat out a lightly recruited guy with a bad foot? I sure hope you are right, because it isn't looking very good for us to land a day 1 starter in the portal.
He won Indiana's Mr. Basketball! The kid is beyond tough anyone who has seen him play would agree. He is a great passer has great floor vision and is unstoppable going downhill at the basket. When I said Zach was the best player in his class many on here pointed out his ranking and lack of recruiting and offers. Some people never learn. Yeah, I was wrong about Zach but who seen Jaden rising to a lottery pick? I don't just watch highlight clips I watch games. I have never seen a benefit in defending my opinions on message boards. But damn! get over this how many stars and ranking crap. Painter KNOWS talent when he sees it how many low rated players does he have to land to convince you he is right? People will have to adjust to Berg, Waddel and Smith as they blow the whole ranking theory out of the water. I am no expert but like most people on here I know a winner when I see one. The difference is I actually watch them play. The foot is a real concern. Why an NBA level player because otherwise Painter will run the offense thru Zach, Mason and Brandon all Smith needs to do is play defense and get the ball where it is supposed to go. I can 100% guarantee he is more than capable of doing just that and much more. I hear we are a definite contender on Hunter because of Zach who doesn't like open shots? I hope we land him but I am fine if we don't and yes he is that NBA caliber player I referenced. Thanks for reading as always just my opinion for what its worth.

He won Indiana's Mr. Basketball! The kid is beyond tough anyone who has seen him play would agree. He is a great passer has great floor vision and is unstoppable going downhill at the basket. When I said Zach was the best player in his class many on here pointed out his ranking and lack of recruiting and offers. Some people never learn. Yeah, I was wrong about Zach but who seen Jaden rising to a lottery pick? I don't just watch highlight clips I watch games. I have never seen a benefit in defending my opinions on message boards. But damn! get over this how many stars and ranking crap. Painter KNOWS talent when he sees it how many low rated players does he have to land to convince you he is right? People will have to adjust to Berg, Waddel and Smith as they blow the whole ranking theory out of the water. I am no expert but like most people on here I know a winner when I see one. The difference is I actually watch them play. The foot is a real concern. Why an NBA level player because otherwise Painter will run the offense thru Zach, Mason and Brandon all Smith needs to do is play defense and get the ball where it is supposed to go. I can 100% guarantee he is more than capable of doing just that and much more. I hear we are a definite contender on Hunter because of Zach who doesn't like open shots? I hope we land him but I am fine if we don't and yes he is that NBA caliber player I referenced. Thanks for reading as always just my opinion for what its worth.
Anthony Leal was an Indiana Mr. Basketball as well.

I don’t think anyone here is saying Smith won’t be good for us down the line. However, expecting big things from him as a freshman and proclaiming him to be one of the most dynamic players to wear the Purdue uniform is premature at best.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
Anthony Leal was an Indiana Mr. Basketball as well.

I don’t think anyone here is saying Smith won’t be good for us down the line. However, expecting big things from him as a freshman and proclaiming him to be one of the most dynamic players to wear the Purdue uniform is premature at best.
There are few if any guarantees with teenagers. But the whole freshman thing is overrated IMO. Hundreds of freshmen start at the D1 level every year Caleb Furst started this year and he won Mr. BB. I doubt if many on here were not expecting big things from him. As for the dynamic comment you obviously have never seen him play or listened to Painters comments about him. Please rub it in if I am wrong in the slightest about him. @oldboiler52 on twitter as I rarely comment on here. As I stated just my opinion.

Fair enough. Thanks for the details. I hope you are right.

I would add that there are a lot of college coaches that watch the games too. Not very many of them were interested in Smith. Toledo, Montana, IUPUI and App State aren't exactly a who's who of college powers. Doesn't mean that he can't be good. It just means it's less likely.

There are few if any guarantees with teenagers. But the whole freshman thing is overrated IMO. Hundreds of freshmen start at the D1 level every year Caleb Furst started this year and he won Mr. BB. I doubt if many on here were not expecting big things from him. As for the dynamic comment you obviously have never seen him play or listened to Painters comments about him. Please rub it in if I am wrong in the slightest about him. @oldboiler52 on twitter as I rarely comment on here. As I stated just my opinion.
Comparing Furst and Smith is illogical. Furst was a top 50 player with a college ready body, and even he fell off when the competition picked up. He was not a starter nor really a contributor once conference play started.

I have both seen him play and heard Painter’s comments on him. I’ve never heard Painter even come close to saying he believes he will be one of the most dynamic players ever to wear a Purdue uniform.

I won’t look you up or call you out when you are wrong, but this is just a ludicrous opinion.

there were a lot of mr Indiana basketballs that turned out to be awesome. there were a lot that were duds. it seems most of the mr indiana football players were duds. Was spegal an Indiana mr. football?

Painter's actions speak for themself. he has been very active recruiting transfer point guards. if Smith was the guy/future. would painter be working s o hard t o bring in somebody else?

it's also obvious if a player is already an elite point guard , that purdue is the last place he'd want to come to in order to showcase his talents to the NBA. I don't consider Carsen or ivey as point guards. i doubt anybody else does either.

painter's philosophy is for 1 big man and 4 perimeter shooters. there is no place for a true PG.

i don't really see Smith as being a true floor general / point guard. to me he's just another guard that shoots the ball.

You say every Purdue recruit will be the next greatest thing, so of course your going to be right once in awhile. Maybe even half the time because some guys turn out better and some worse than there recruiting ranking.

If you said you think Smith is ready to start this year, I'd have my doubts but okay......, but you said he would be one of Purdue's most dynamic players ever. That makes it sound silly, especially a year after losing Jaden Ivey.

I am reading a lot of strange opinions on here that I’d like to tackle.

1. Painter is looking for a PG through transfers, ergo Smith, Morton, etc are no good. This is an over reach. Painter always wants multiple options at every position. PG is no different. For all we know, he might be bringing in a transfer backup for Smith. Painter has also said many times that he likes an older team. Maybe Smith will be outstanding, but come off the bench his first year behind an older, more experienced guard (if we can get one). Having multiple good ball handlers is critical in case of injury too.

2. Painter’s offense is not attractive to good point guards. Where does this falsehood come from? What proof is there that this is the truth? At least one poster spouts this once in every thread. It’s nonsense. Yes, we have struggled to bring in blue blood players at all positions, including PG. We’ve talked about the challenges of recruiting to Purdue. Our recruiting of dynamic guards has greatly improved because we have highlighted kids like Edwards and Ivey. It’s got nothing to do with the motion offense, and everything to do with finally showing successful examples.

I am reading a lot of strange opinions on here that I’d like to tackle.

1. Painter is looking for a PG through transfers, ergo Smith, Morton, etc are no good. This is an over reach. Painter always wants multiple options at every position. PG is no different. For all we know, he might be bringing in a transfer backup for Smith. Painter has also said many times that he likes an older team. Maybe Smith will be outstanding, but come off the bench his first year behind an older, more experienced guard (if we can get one). Having multiple good ball handlers is critical in case of injury too.

2. Painter’s offense is not attractive to good point guards. Where does this falsehood come from? What proof is there that this is the truth? At least one poster spouts this once in every thread. It’s nonsense. Yes, we have struggled to bring in blue blood players at all positions, including PG. We’ve talked about the challenges of recruiting to Purdue. Our recruiting of dynamic guards has greatly improved because we have highlighted kids like Edwards and Ivey. It’s got nothing to do with the motion offense, and everything to do with finally showing successful examples.
Who is the best PG recruit we've landed? Carsen and Ivey were 2s.

Starting PGs Since 2006:
Eric Hunter
IT
Nojel
PJ Thompson
Johnny Hill
Jon Octeus
Ronnie Johnson
Lewis Jackson
Keaton Grant
David Teague

Starting PGs Since 2006:
Eric Hunter
IT
Nojel
PJ Thompson
Johnny Hill
Jon Octeus
Ronnie Johnson
Lewis Jackson
Keaton Grant
David Teague
I think LewJack turned out to be the best pure PG of the group. Probably by a wide margin.

Nojel was the highest rated recruit, Ronnie was probably close.

Johnny Hill and Jon octeus were both one year transfers.

Love the optimism!!!
But "most dynamic" is over the top, considering the 30 All Americans that have played at Purdue. Hard to see him as an AA, let alone better than the 30 AAs who have graced a Boiler uniform.

Last edited:
Here is the biggest thing I have taken away from reading about smith... he has an attitude. And I mean that in a good way like what Kramer had. If he can be ANYTHING like what Kramer was, then we will be better for it.

I liked Hunter and IT and Hunter tried to lead towards the end of the season, but one thing I think would of done wonders for the team last season is having a true "floor general". One that isn't afraid to chew a teammate out for doing something stupid.

Might get down to that level?
Some see either Courtney Ramey or Malachi Smith as a real possibility. Hope one of those works. But I see just 2 more guys who we likely will be out bid on. So the guy you mentioned or someone else similar not requiring an upfront NIL guarentee will be more likely. But have to admit, I am fairly pessimistic now, only because of how Pack & Hunter worked out for Purdue. But even with that, still no doubt, Purdue WILL get someone.

Reactions: BBG and Schnelk

Starting PGs Since 2006:
Eric Hunter
IT
Nojel
PJ Thompson
Johnny Hill
Jon Octeus
Ronnie Johnson
Lewis Jackson
Keaton Grant
David Teague
The answer here is Lew Jack. However, the "could have been" is Kelsey Barlow...
And I don't recall Teague ever being anything other than a SG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT