ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana State at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Did you read what I wrote? A program can CAN CAN rebuild in two years. If they have the money to do it. For Purdue that would mean getting back to 8-4 even with a tough schedule a la brohm. Next year

But Purdue doesn’t spend that kinda money. So I’m good with a team who plays hard and smart and does their best. If that’s 6-6 next year, great.

If Purdue had spent the money to keep Scourton and buy a good fast linebacker my expectations of Walters would be very different
I did, you didn't define what rebuild means. No one has. Neither you nor anyone else has provided a shred of evidence of how long rebuilds actually take on average.

So, thus far, no definition of what it means, no data on what actually happens during one across all programs, no analysis of how to factor in NIL aggression or SOS.

Just a "belief" that 1-2 years is the correct answer. Regardless of us being a mediocre program historically, towards the bottom of NIL, with a brutal schedule in, arguably, the toughest conference in the nation.

Here's the correct answer. We don't know.

NIL and the portal are both too new the schedule is too difficult and the NIL commitment is too piss poor to be able to say how long a rebuild here will take. Certainly not with the definity folks seem to want to take

That doesn't mean Walters gets forever. 3-4 losing seasons kills any coach regardless of other factors. It does mean proclamations that we will know by the end of this season or next for sure are only going to work if they are outlier seasons (2-3 wins or 7-8 wins).

I did, you didn't define what rebuild means. No one has. Neither you nor anyone else has provided a shred of evidence of how long rebuilds actually take on average.

So, thus far, no definition of what it means, no data on what actually happens during one across all programs, no analysis of how to factor in NIL aggression or SOS.

Just a "belief" that 1-2 years is the correct answer. Regardless of us being a mediocre program historically, towards the bottom of NIL, with a brutal schedule in, arguably, the toughest conference in the nation.

NIL and the portal are both too new the schedule is too difficult and the NIL commitment is too piss poor to be able to say how long a rebuild here will take. Certainly not with the definity folks seem to want to take

That doesn't mean Walters gets forever. 3-4 losing seasons kills any coach regardless of other factors. It does mean proclamations that we will know by the end of this season or next for sure are only going to work if they are outlier seasons (2-3 wins or 7-8 wins).
I know you have me blocked for some reason, but how do you figure nil is piss poor? 7.5 mill, IDs probably better than our peers

I did.

Brohm had built it to 8 wins with a tough schedule. A rebuild would mean to get to that point. And if Purdue had the money to keep Scourton and was to add a good linebacker on top of everything else, I’d want to be looking like that kinda team this year. But Purdue doesn’t have that.

Which, tv money is coming, but again, when has Purdue ever competed with A&M? They haven’t. But that doesn’t hurt Purdue in comparison to their peers.
I’m not disputing that. However, when you go Wild West it get that much easier. When tiller coached here and even for much of Brohm’s tenure, Scourton would have had to sit out. And any compensation would have had to be laundered. Now they can just give him whatever.

I wouldn’t have expected shit from tiller if he just lost Stu and Shaun Phillips. I’m not gonna start demanding 8 wins from Walters when he loses Scourton.

I’m not disputing that. However, when you go Wild West it get that much easier. When tiller coached here and even for much of Brohm’s tenure, Scourton would have had to sit out. And any compensation would have had to be laundered. Now they can just give him whatever.

I wouldn’t have expected shit from tiller if he just lost Stu and Shaun Phillips. I’m not gonna start demanding 8 wins from Walters when he loses Scourton.
As you shouldn’t. Scourton turned down 300k here because of tampering. That’s the bigger issue. He had agreed to stay. But also, look at all the guys in the team that stayed that could have left.

Card? Mockabee. Hartwig. Jenkins. Theineman. Sure I’m missing some. Then also brought in a bunch of highly pursued players. So there is plenty of NIL there to make sure you win 6-8 every year.

Reactions: pboiler18

To put it succinctly: longtime followers of the program will know at the end of 2 years whether he’s the guy, just like we have with all of the others in recent memory. And I personally won’t judge him by his WL%.

So your line between works and doesn't is one game?
Yes, one game, in the context of who they play.

This year, they have to show they can beat 1 gimme and 5 peer programs from the likes of Oregon St, Nebraska, Northwestern, Illinois, MSU, Indiana. Or you beat 4 and get 1 upset. Total 6 wins tells me your system works because it's superior to the systems of peer-programs with HCs similarly early in their tenure (1st or 2nd year). If he can't beat that lineup with their coaches, then I want someone who can.

Next year, 6 win minimum or he's fireable, when we play SIU, Ball State, Minnesota, Illinois, Rutgers, Indiana, and Northwestern. No reason not to win 6 with that schedule.

Yes, one game. But the difference between 5-7 and 6-6 means much more in the new B1G and in this portal era.

As you shouldn’t. Scourton turned down 300k here because of tampering. That’s the bigger issue. He had agreed to stay. But also, look at all the guys in the team that stayed that could have left.

Card? Mockabee. Hartwig. Jenkins. Theineman. Sure I’m missing some. Then also brought in a bunch of highly pursued players. So there is plenty of NIL there to make sure you win 6-8 every year.
Yes, Purdues nil has greatly improved. But it’s still not at the level of being a school that takes from other schools. I think it came close to drawing even when you consider subtracting all of the holes with no big time players from the big gets.

Had Purdue added all the transfers and big time recruits to a bowl team with good depth and starters coming back, yeah id be expecting big wins. Right now I’m happy with 5 considering the schedule.

Reactions: tbird2017
Yes, Purdues nil has greatly improved. But it’s still not at the level of being a school that takes from other schools. I think it came close to drawing even when you consider subtracting all of the holes with no big time players from the big gets.

Had Purdue added all the transfers and big time recruits to a bowl team with good depth and starters coming back, yeah id be expecting big wins. Right now I’m happy with 5 considering the schedule.
Purdue took players from other schools last year. Starters. Idk what you are talking about…. It is the pecking order. Hold on to your own and get guys from other schools. Purdue more or less held onto their own and got proven starters from other schools and high potential depth pieces from bigger schools. Purdue did exactly what they needed to do to slot in from the 6-12 range of the big ten. Now they just have to keep building.

I'm ok with the OSUs of college football shelling out $20mil/year. Guessing some of that is for the 4 and 5 star high school schools that won't ever pan out or ride the pine until they come to the conclusion they need to go somewhere else for playing time.

Not sure if it's our actual approach or just the way it's played out, but I like Purdue getting the highly recruited guys from a couple of recruiting cycles ago. Those seem like the type of guys who have something to prove and wouldn't necessarily be asking for too much NIL, rather a opportunity to start.

I'm ok with the OSUs of college football shelling out $20mil/year. Guessing some of that is for the 4 and 5 star high school schools that won't ever pan out or ride the pine until they come to the conclusion they need to go somewhere else for playing time.

Not sure if it's our actual approach or just the way it's played out, but I like Purdue getting the highly recruited guys from a couple of recruiting cycles ago. Those seem like the type of guys who have something to prove and wouldn't necessarily be asking for too much NIL, rather an opportunity to start.
I like the split between them and proven starters.

Purdue took players from other schools last year. Starters. Idk what you are talking about…. It is the pecking order. Hold on to your own and get guys from other schools. Purdue more or less held onto their own and got proven starters from other schools and high potential depth pieces from bigger schools. Purdue did exactly what they needed to do to slot in from the 6-12 range of the big ten. Now they just have to keep building.
So where does this end? You calling Purdue a NIL power?

I did.

Brohm had built it to 8 wins with a tough schedule. A rebuild would mean to get to that point. And if Purdue had the money to keep Scourton and was to add a good linebacker on top of everything else, I’d want to be looking like that kinda team this year. But Purdue doesn’t have that.
A rebuild is reaching a near program apex? Lol

To put it succinctly: longtime followers of the program will know at the end of 2 years whether he’s the guy, just like we have with all of the others in recent memory. And I personally won’t judge him by his WL%.
No long-time followers will have opinions on whether he's the guy, they won't actually know barring an outlier season

No long-time followers will have opinions on whether he's the guy, they won't actually know barring an outlier season
I still believe we got to give Walters some time, I look at a similar school/program like Mizzou and their Coach Drinkowitz. His first 3 seasons were 5-5, 6-7, and 6-7 before his breakout year last year at 11-2.

I still believe we got to give Walters some time, I look at a similar school/program like Mizzou and their Coach Drinkowitz. His first 3 seasons were 5-5, 6-7, and 6-7 before his breakout year last year at 11-2.
There's a fundamental difference between basketball and football.

Basketball has been consistently very good under multiple coaches going back generations. I certainly am not calling for Painter to leave anytime soon, obviously a national championship season is apex stuff that gets you the job til you croak. But if he left for whatever reason, it's a very attractive job that would get a lot of quality candidates.

Football is not remotely that. So dumping a young coach because he won 5 games instead of 6 in year 2 or 3 is going to guarantee nothing but another rebuild.

A rebuild is reaching a near program apex? Lol
I mean if that’s where the program was two years ago. You’re literally building it into what it was lol. Why are you convinced you’re the bright one and everyone else is dumb? Why are you acting like I said 11 wins?

Why are you acting like I said I expect that? I don’t. If we were out there buying the best player on other teams a la Texas A&M and Scourton sure. But we arent

I am expecting 5 wins…

What don’t you get?

I mean if that’s where the program was two years ago. You’re literally building it into what it was lol. Why are you convinced you’re the bright one and everyone else is dumb? Why are you acting like I said 11 wins?

Why are you acting like I said I expect that? I don’t. If we were out there buying the best player on other teams a la Texas A&M and Scourton sure. But we arent

I am expecting 5 wins…

What don’t you get?
I asked basic questions bud and your answer was 8 wins, which is crazy quite frankly to say a rebuild means you're back to the very top of where you were before.

I didn't say everyone else was dumb. I asked the handful of folks confidently stating a specific assertion for evidence and definitions.

I strongly suspect most people don't think a rebuild takes just two seasons in the current environment. So yeah the less than half dozen folks thus far confidently asserting otherwise can, ya know, maybe put something out there besides blanket assertion.

I asked basic questions bud and your answer was 8 wins, which is crazy quite frankly to say a rebuild means you're back to the very top of where you were before.

I didn't say everyone else was dumb. I asked the handful of folks confidently stating a specific assertion for evidence and definitions.

I strongly suspect most people don't think a rebuild takes just two seasons in the current environment. So yeah the less than half dozen folks thus far confidently asserting otherwise can, ya know, maybe put something out there besides blanket assertion.
8 wins in 2 years is unrealistic.

But 6 is what Walters needs to show his system works. He has 6 games versus peer programs with new staff in their 1st or 2nd year. He needs to beat 5 of them to show he can be a winner.

5 wins or less... Look out for other programs poaching our best players. Again.

But 6 is what Walters needs to show his system works. He has 6 games versus peer programs with new staff in their 1st or 2nd year. He needs to beat 5 of them to show he can be a winner.

My whole assertion all along is that with the portal…Walters or any coach doesn’t have 3-4 years to slowly build. Crap the bed this year and the talent you’ve amassed walks out the door. It’s win now or likely don’t win ever. Not for the program but the coach. He will find himself further behind the 8 ball running a scheme he doesn’t have talent for again if we aren’t competing and showing the scheme works and highlights players.

He should get at least 3 years…but when a guy like Key can turn around Georgia tech quickly from being abysmal, BoB at BC having them looking extremely competent and several other new coaches having an impact in year 1 it’s hard to sell that we are in some long process rebuild when that’s just not how it happens in football anymore.

My whole assertion on our talent level last year wasn’t that we had the talent to go out and beat everybody on the schedule. We did t last year. We definitely didn’t while Brohm was here. That doesn’t mean that you cant scheme and get the most out of your guys. When you don’t have man corners, why run man? Even if you do have man corners, why not help them when you can? When you have slow LBs, why do we commit 6 to the run and lose contain.

It’s those reasons that I don’t like the coach and don’t feel he will be successful. He’s not putting guys in a position to show their strengths and hide weaknesses. In fact, he did a pretty good job of steering into the weakness last year.

I’d like to see it change. I’d like to help our good players instead of expecting them to play flawless individually. I’d like to see an offense that finds what works and exploits it and stays away from what doesn’t.

I think we have the guys. On both sides of the ball. I fear that even if the offense takes a step we’ll still struggle on D expecting guys to play over their heads but doing nothing to put them in a position to do so. It was incredibly frustrating last year. I’ll admit we are likely much better this year, likely more competitive but not able to get over the hump if we don’t make adjustments with the defense.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
My whole assertion all along is that with the portal…Walters or any coach doesn’t have 3-4 years to slowly build. Crap the bed this year and the talent you’ve amassed walks out the door. It’s win now or likely don’t win ever. Not for the program but the coach. He will find himself further behind the 8 ball running a scheme he doesn’t have talent for again if we aren’t competing and showing the scheme works and highlights players.

He should get at least 3 years…but when a guy like Key can turn around Georgia tech quickly from being abysmal, BoB at BC having them looking extremely competent and several other new coaches having an impact in year 1 it’s hard to sell that we are in some long process rebuild when that’s just not how it happens in football anymore.

My whole assertion on our talent level last year wasn’t that we had the talent to go out and beat everybody on the schedule. We did t last year. We definitely didn’t while Brohm was here. That doesn’t mean that you cant scheme and get the most out of your guys. When you don’t have man corners, why run man? Even if you do have man corners, why not help them when you can? When you have slow LBs, why do we commit 6 to the run and lose contain.

It’s those reasons that I don’t like the coach and don’t feel he will be successful. He’s not putting guys in a position to show their strengths and hide weaknesses. In fact, he did a pretty good job of steering into the weakness last year.

I’d like to see it change. I’d like to help our good players instead of expecting them to play flawless individually. I’d like to see an offense that finds what works and exploits it and stays away from what doesn’t.

I think we have the guys. On both sides of the ball. I fear that even if the offense takes a step we’ll still struggle on D expecting guys to play over their heads but doing nothing to put them in a position to do so. It was incredibly frustrating last year. I’ll admit we are likely much better this year, likely more competitive but not able to get over the hump if we don’t make adjustments with the defense.
Your whole assertion boils down to... You want Walters to change his system to fit the players Brohm left behind.

That position is flawed, because Walters wasn't hired to be Brohm 2.0. He was hired because in particular because of his system at Illinois. Bobinski hired him to bring his system, and rebuild what he had at Illinois. That's what he was hired to do.

Brohms players don't fit that - you are right. But it's wrong to demand he change who he is just because Brohm's players are still here. You want another system. That's fine. But expecting Walters to do the opposite of what he was hired to do is just nonsensical.

I remember Brohm saying if he was going to lose, he's going out swinging with everything he's got. Walters is going to do the same. He's just got different punches. If his system fails, it fails. But he's going to run it, as he should. If he needs elite players to make his system work, then he needs to show he can GET elite players and MAKE his system work.

This year will show if he can.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
What do you mean where does it end?
You seem to want to argue specific points in a way that one would only argue if you thought Purdue was a NIL power.

I don’t think Purdue has gotten many players who were very high graded by pff at a power 5 stop.

Purdue has made tremendous progress. Purdue may win more than 6 games. But I’m only holding the coaches responsible for 5. If they get there they’ve done decent imo. What’s so wrong with that take?

That’s what a rebuild would be to me. I mean they did it two years in a row.

That you think that that’s some crazy result, to me, says that you let the hazell and hope hire diminish normal expectations.

Under circumstances where Purdue was gaining talent at a high level, that’s a normal expectation. 24 months after Walters took over to have a 8 win team. But that team wouldn’t actually play till the following fall.

However, Purdue is in a situation where they can lose their best player to a straight payoff. And the schedule got tougher. In light of that, and Until the unfettered free agency changes changes, I’ll be happy with 5 wins this year and 6 the next.

Your whole assertion boils down to... You want Walters to change his system to fit the players Brohm left behind.

That position is flawed, because Walters wasn't hired to be Brohm 2.0. He was hired because in particular because of his system at Illinois. Bobinski hired him to bring his system, and rebuild what he had at Illinois. That's what he was hired to do.

Brohms players don't fit that - you are right. But it's wrong to demand he change who he is just because Brohm's players are still here. You want another system. That's fine. But expecting Walters to do the opposite of what he was hired to do is just nonsensical.

I remember Brohm saying if he was going to lose, he's going out swinging with everything he's got. Walters is going to do the same. He's just got different punches. If his system fails, it fails. But he's going to run it, as he should. If he needs elite players to make his system work, then he needs to show he can GET elite players and MAKE his system work.

This year will show if he can.
Eh. Take it with a grain of salt. He refuses to talk about all the talent Brohm left behind.

You seem to want to argue specific points in a way that one would only argue if you thought Purdue was a NIL power.

I don’t think Purdue has gotten many players who were very high graded by pff at a power 5 stop.

Purdue has made tremendous progress. Purdue may win more than 6 games. But I’m only holding the coaches responsible for 5. If they get there they’ve done decent imo. What’s so wrong with that take?
Not at all. I just said they got some solid starters and some solid prospects. I’m not calling Purdue a NIL power, but I’m saying they are better than most of their peers if I had to guess.

Eh. Take it with a grain of salt. He refuses to talk about all the talent Brohm left behind.
How about 2 guys who were good enough to get poached by SEC teams?

What you don’t acknowledge is that Brohm would have hit the portal here as well to fill gaps. Something he did well here and something he did well last year at UL.

Every team is going to have holes. You’re judging a guy who never got to fill them. A guy who was successful here.

If Walters can’t make a bowl by year 3, he’s a failure. Flat out. Plenty of teams in the same time period will have made a bowl - some with even larger talent discrepancies than Walters walked into.

That’s what a rebuild would be to me. I mean they did it two years in a row.

That you think that that’s some crazy result, to me, says that you let the hazell and hope hire diminish normal expectations.

Under circumstances where Purdue was gaining talent at a high level, that’s a normal expectation. 24 months after Walters took over to have a 8 win team. But that team wouldn’t actually play till the following fall.

However, Purdue is in a situation where they can lose their best player to a straight payoff. And the schedule got tougher. In light of that, and Until the unfettered free agency changes changes, I’ll be happy with 5 wins this year and 6 the next.
They did less for longer. The program average is roughly .500.

Brohm finished here what 2 games over .500 in total 36-34? So basically Purdue .500 average.

So yeah 8 wins is not an average result at Purdue, it wasn't Brohms average result at Purdue either. He averaged 6 wins a season.

What you don’t acknowledge is that Brohm would have hit the portal here as well to fill gaps. Something he did well here and something he did well last year at UL.

Every team is going to have holes. You’re judging a guy who never got to fill them. A guy who was successful here.

If Walters can’t make a bowl by year 3, he’s a failure. Flat out. Plenty of teams in the same time period will have made a bowl - some with even larger talent discrepancies than Walters walked into.
Lol Brohms last two years of recruiting were horrible. Probably because he wasn't planning to stick around. So this idea that a guy who left here with a 36-34 overall record would have had us all happy is just silly.

Brohm would have struggled to get 6 wins last year and he's struggle to do it this year.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

There's no real difference between 5 and 6 wins except luck and variability.

I simply don't understand that being some dividing line. We barely have six winnable games on the schedule. Which means he's expected to win every winnable game which mediocre teams simply rarely do. Heck, above average teams struggle to do it.

Or have a major upset.

If he wins 4 or less, then it's going to look like regression. 5 wins is progress and next year's schedule isn't great but it's not quite as daunting.

He ain't going anywhere anyways unless he has like a 2-3 win season.

There's no real difference between 5 and 6 wins except luck and variability.

I simply don't understand that being some dividing line. We barely have six winnable games on the schedule. Which means he's expected to win every winnable game which mediocre teams simply rarely do. Heck, above average teams struggle to do it.

Or have a major upset.

If he wins 4 or less, then it's going to look like regression. 5 wins is progress and next year's schedule isn't great but it's not quite as daunting.

He ain't going anywhere anyways unless he has like a 2-3 win season.
The difference between 5 and 6 is one of perception, and perception is everything today. Programs perceived to be winners get more and better NIL and both help in recruiting and retention of talent.

Look, I'm not demanding major upsets like beating the Buckeyes or Ducks here. Just beat your peer programs with similar coaches. So I'll go beyond two numbers and explain why beating your peer is important this year.

Beat Oregon State - we have to be able to beat a program with a new HC that no power conference wanted.

Beat Northwestern - a W after losing a close L without Card last year means progress.

Beat MSU - show Purdue is now better than a program in shambles with a new HC.

Beat Illinois - We've beaten them 3 years in a row. Have to stay ahead here.

Beat IU - Losing means Cignetti has already caught up and passed you. Not good.

These are not insurmountable games. Walters needs to win these year 2. There's no sugar coating them.

The the possible upsets are Nebraska and Wisconsin. If we win, they won't be major upsets. But I'm not even counting on those. Just beat your peer programs. It matters a lot for perspective. NIL is already had enough, getting more for sub. 500 teams gets even harder.

I will concede one point, if Card is injured, all bets are off. We might not win any of them.

I’ll acknowledge that Brohm had under 1 mil in NIL to work with because he didn’t try at all to fundraise. But why would Brohm need to hit the portal hard? He had 6 years of recruiting and building.

Not sure what your other three paragraphs have to do with leaving a rebuild… actually, none of this explains how Walter’s didn’t inherit a rebuild.

I’ll acknowledge that Brohm had under 1 mil in NIL to work with because he didn’t try at all to fundraise. But why would Brohm need to hit the portal hard? He had 6 years of recruiting and building.

Not sure what your other three paragraphs have to do with leaving a rebuild… actually, none of this explains how Walter’s didn’t inherit a rebuild.
Because everybody needs to hit the portal hard.

This isn’t 1990s college football like you think it is.

Your savior Walters will “hit the portal” hard after every season to try to fix weaknesses. That’s college football now.

Brohm did a great job of it and was better as the portal evolved. We will see if this coach can use it to his advantage.

They did less for longer. The program average is roughly .500.

Brohm finished here what 2 games over .500 in total 36-34? So basically Purdue .500 average.

So yeah 8 wins is not an average result at Purdue, it wasn't Brohms average result at Purdue either. He averaged 6 wins a season.
Brohm did that recovering from the hazell era. Purdue made a hire on the cheap and it’s worst hire ever between Brohm and tiller. You shouldn’t let that cloud your judgment.

If you rebuild, you then ask “what’s a good result”. A good result for Purdue is 8-4. That means that coach is doing well. To call a coach a good coach at Purdue that’s where you’d want him to be.

If you’re a buyer in the portal you can get back to good results with a good coach in 2 years. Purdue is not a buyer. They’re most of the way toward protecting their own.

In light of that and the conference schedule becoming ridiculous, I will be content with 5-7.

Because everybody needs to hit the portal hard.

This isn’t 1990s college football like you think it is.

Your savior Walters will “hit the portal” hard after every season to try to fix weaknesses. That’s college football now.

Brohm did a great job of it and was better as the portal evolved. We will see if this coach can use it to his advantage.
Brohm was better as the portal evolved? Interesting. But Brohm shouldn’t have had to hit the portal hard because he had an 8-4 roster if he had come back. So add a couple good players maybe? The 8-4 part is your words. So why would he need to hit it hard? And how was he going to hit it hard with less than a mil to work with in NIL. He wasn’t fundraising…. Well, he kind of was for Louisville in saying he would be coming there while at Purdue.

So did the roster need an influx of talent after Brohm left or was it an 8-4 roster?

And no, Walter’s isn’t my savior. Walter’s needed to hit the portal to add talent.

Brohm would have had to hit the portal had he stayed. Without question, as he would say.

Portal Needs after 2022:
QB1 - Browne wasn't it. Maybe Plummer comes back?
WR1 - Needed to replace Jones.
OL and DT for sure. He did every year.
DB as well.

If he stayed, and the players stayed, it would not have been a rebuild but a reload type of year. But that's assuming Brohm stayed AND we had the NIL and the loyalty for them to want to stay. Big IFS. But once he left, all bets were off. Rebuild for sure

Brohm would have had to hit the portal had he stayed. Without question, as he would say.

Portal Needs after 2022:
DB as well.

If he stayed, and the players stayed, it would not have been a rebuild but a reload type of year. But that's assuming Brohm stayed AND we had the NIL and the loyalty for them to want to stay. Big IFS. But once he left, all bets were off. Rebuild for sure
If he stayed he had Mbow, Hartwig, Moussa, Kaltenberger and Miller left on the line. That’s basically a whole batch of returning starters. Plus recruits plus the portal.

He’d have probably needed a portal QB as it seems Allen is not that good. He’d have gotten us a decent one I’m sure.

I love this rebuild narrative. It seems it’s what the Walters sunshine brigade will use as the excuse until he figures out how to put a winner on the field.

If he stayed he had Mbow, Hartwig, Moussa, Kaltenberger and Miller left on the line. That’s basically a whole batch of returning starters. Plus recruits plus the portal.

He’d have probably needed a portal QB as it seems Allen is not that good. He’d have gotten us a decent one I’m sure.

I love this rebuild narrative. It seems it’s what the Walters sunshine brigade will use as the excuse until he figures out how to put a winner on the field.
You can shut your eyes, cover your ears, stomp your feet and yell as loud as you can, but you're never going to show that this was anything other than a rebuild for Walters after Brohm left. Not because Brohm left the cupboard empty, but because Walters was hired to bring in a new system. That's it. Walters system can't function with a majority of Brohms players. Simple as that.

Yes, Brohm left talent. You are right. But you refuse to let go of your own personal bias and just let Walters install his own system. You think it won't work? Fine. But constantly going on about how you would rather have a different system that caters to Brohms talent is getting old. It's not going to happen. Walters will run his system, the way he wants to. No matter how much you yell and scream it won't work. He may fail. But he will doing things his way, not yours.

You can shut your eyes, cover your ears, stomp your feet and yell as loud as you can, but you're never going to show that this was anything other than a rebuild for Walters after Brohm left. Not because Brohm left the cupboard empty, but because Walters was hired to bring in a new system. That's it. Walters system can't function with a majority of Brohms players. Simple as that.

Yes, Brohm left talent. You are right. But you refuse to let go of your own personal bias and just let Walters install his own system. You think it won't work? Fine. But constantly going on about how you would rather have a different system that caters to Brohms talent is getting old. It's not going to happen. Walters will run his system, the way he wants to. No matter how much you yell and scream it won't work. He may fail. But he will doing things his way, not yours.
It’s not about Brohm. It’s about Purdue.

I’d rather have a system that caters to the player we CAN get vs the player we won’t.

Portal Needs after 2022:
DB as well.

Plummer wasn’t it either. There were culture issues as well. Sounded like a lot of guys were going to leave if Brohm stayed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT