ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana State at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

I think many people will now be happy with the play. The special teams play was nice, something that I had wondered about. And Card's pass completion record was amazing! Nice seeing all those different people catching passes. With additional injured players coming back, I think that we should have a good record. Now beat ND.

I think many people will now be happy with the play. The special teams play was nice, something that I had wondered about. And Card's pass completion record was amazing! Nice seeing all those different people catching passes. With additional injured players coming back, I think that we should have a good record. Now beat ND.
we got to cut down on the offensive line holding, some were bogus but I watched the Wisky game last night and their tackles get away w/ so much holding and it's not called. They grab jersey on the outside of the opposing team's shoulder pads all the time

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
We should see how ND performs at Texas A&M first before talking about spreads.

Yesterday the Wisconsin pod was losing their marbles because Badgers were getting pushed around by Western Mich line.
I think they made a big mistake going away from their identity

Reactions: pboiler18
We should see how ND performs at Texas A&M first before talking about spreads.

Yesterday the Wisconsin pod was losing their marbles because Badgers were getting pushed around by Western Mich line.
we got to do what L Ville's D Line did to them last last, get physical w/ their OL that is also somewhat inexperienced

we got to cut down on the offensive line holding, some were bogus but I watched the Wisky game last night and their tackles get away w/ so much holding and it's not called. They grab jersey on the outside of the opposing team's shoulder pads all the time
To be fair, none of that started till backups started to sprinkle in though. To me, the worst thing I saw was actually the difference in the OLBs. We were MUCH better there last year and today I was not seeing the burst or athleticism. Jenkins did not have great agility or range at MLB either.

To be fair, none of that started till backups started to sprinkle in though. To me, the worst thing I saw was actually the difference in the OLBs. We were MUCH better there last year and today I was not seeing the burst or athleticism. Jenkins did not have great agility or range at MLB either.
we always have issues w/ LB's plus Yanni didn't play in the 1st half

I think CRW will be less aggressive from the OLB pressure. We were burned a lot by fast running QBs last year.

The only offense Indiana State had was their running QB.
Will need to tighten that up. Especially going up against a quick and speedy QB like R Leonard.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020

Hope Jenkins gets more comfortable in the MLB position.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Yanni did not play because of targeting rule. Yanni got a targeting penalty at the IU game which meant he had to sit out a half.
I know that, just meant having him play only a half didn't help the LB's performance

Executed the game as expected. Card was near flawless and receivers had separation.

Finally got to see Harrell’s Air Raid offense the way it should be executed.
Harrell called a great game. I think this is what it would have looked like last year if the line could hold, Card was healthy, and there was multiple WR’s good enough to get separation.

Reactions: cillerdo
Quick thoughts on today without starting a new thread.

I like the potential of this offense. Big targets all over the field and good backs. We will score points as long as Card and the line are healthy. Everyone thinks Harrell is bad, but I don’t at this point. He’s young, already has a good resume, and I like the stuff he has going. He knows how to get the ball to his best players. He schemed for the TEs really well last year and is going to keep doing that. Klare is going to have a monster year. Burhenn has been out and wasn’t ready. He should ovetake Buber, who was not great today. Maybe there’s a blocking aspect to that though.

I can’t really take anything away from today for the defense. The Trees just wanted to get out of town and didn’t seem interested in scoring. Need to have Yanni full time so Jenkins can got to the edge in passing situations. Need Joe Anderson back.

Quick thoughts on today without starting a new thread.

I like the potential of this offense. Big targets all over the field and good backs. We will score points as long as Card and the line are healthy. Everyone thinks Harrell is bad, but I don’t at this point. He’s young, already has a good resume, and I like the stuff he has going. He knows how to get the ball to his best players. He schemed for the TEs really well last year and is going to keep doing that. Klare is going to have a monster year. Burhenn has been out and wasn’t ready. He should ovetake Buber, who was not great today. Maybe there’s a blocking aspect to that though.

I can’t really take anything away from today for the defense. The Trees just wanted to get out of town and didn’t seem interested in scoring. Need to have Yanni full time so Jenkins can got to the edge in passing situations. Need Joe Anderson back.
Couldn’t have asked for much more today tbh. Clean up the penalties and the oline play a bit. Starters were good though really. Walter’s has made this team better.

Couldn’t have asked for much more today tbh. Clean up the penalties and the oline play a bit. Starters were good though really. Walter’s has made this team better.
The penalties were questionable at best though. Especially those two holding calls almost back to back that both wiped out huge plays. I guess you could argue the Sales one was holding, but the one on Mbow was a joke. Those are plays you see on scouting tape when you’re watching highlights of an NFL draft prospect

The penalties were questionable at best though. Especially those two holding calls almost back to back that both wiped out huge plays. I guess you could argue the Sales one was holding, but the one on Mbow was a joke. Those are plays you see on scouting tape when you’re watching highlights of an NFL draft prospect
Ya. Those holds and the roughing the passer were terrible. The OL down field though was the correct call. That’s easy to clean up though. Thought today went about as well as the coaches could want.

The Walter’s haters are real quiet tonight.

Ya. Those holds and the roughing the passer were terrible. The OL down field though was the correct call. That’s easy to clean up though. Thought today went about as well as the coaches could want.

The Walter’s haters are real quiet tonight.
lol. We beat an FCS team. We played well but go back and look at the last time we played them. It’s not like we suddenly did something the last, or other coaches at Purdue didn’t.

Plenty of opposing WRs running uncovered. They just had a QB who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Not much has changed with the scheme and I can see us playing mostly above average defense but losing games blowing 1-2 bad coverages a game and having good WR and QB combos taking advantage. The scheme…not the players on D are the true weakness. Too many times today we ignored the QB on the read option. Luckily ND is not a team that will hurt us on that but we will play plenty who can.

The OL looks better. Card looks better. WR looks like the baseline skill is up but I’m not thinking even the return of Smith makes us more dynamic going downfield due to Cards inability to throw a good deep ball. Doesn’t mean he’s not viable but he just doesn’t have the 50-60 yard downfield throw in his arsenal. If we had that on offense I do think we’d be pretty dynamic.

Lots to prove moving forward. I do think ND is a top 25 team but probably not playoff worthy. A good test to see where we stand. Really think we have to start helping out our DBs more or we’ll be giving up long TDs most of the year.

lol. We beat an FCS team. We played well but go back and look at the last time we played them. It’s not like we suddenly did something the last, or other coaches at Purdue didn’t.

Plenty of opposing WRs running uncovered. They just had a QB who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Not much has changed with the scheme and I can see us playing mostly above average defense but losing games blowing 1-2 bad coverages a game and having good WR and QB combos taking advantage. The scheme…not the players on D are the true weakness. Too many times today we ignored the QB on the read option. Luckily ND is not a team that will hurt us on that but we will play plenty who can.

The OL looks better. Card looks better. WR looks like the baseline skill is up but I’m not thinking even the return of Smith makes us more dynamic going downfield due to Cards inability to throw a good deep ball. Doesn’t mean he’s not viable but he just doesn’t have the 50-60 yard downfield throw in his arsenal. If we had that on offense I do think we’d be pretty dynamic.

Lots to prove moving forward. I do think ND is a top 25 team but probably not playoff worthy. A good test to see where we stand. Really think we have to start helping out our DBs more or we’ll be giving up long TDs most of the year.
Hilarious. They didn’t even try to throw it and you’re here talking about how we left WRs running uncovered all over the field. Wtf are you even talking about? I just can’t wrap my head around your proclamation that this scheme doesn’t work. It can’t work you say. But, in reality, it has worked. Very well, in fact.

Who are you eyeing as the next coach? Because obviously Walters is a joke and we should fire him. So who’s the guy?

Hilarious. They didn’t even try to throw it and you’re here talking about how we left WRs running uncovered all over the field. Wtf are you even talking about? I just can’t wrap my head around your proclamation that this scheme doesn’t work. It can’t work you say. But, in reality, it has worked. Very well, in fact.

Who are you eyeing as the next coach? Because obviously Walters is a joke and we should fire him. So who’s the guy?
I can think of 3 instances they missed open guys down field. Many others where guys were open but their QB is awful and couldn’t get it in the zip code.

Don’t have my eye on a next coach. Even if abysmal, he’s here for st least another year so no sense in window shopping now. Just don’t like seeing the same things happening I. Coverage that have in the past. Most teams will make us pay for those mistakes. Just so happens we played the worst team in D1 football today so yes, we looked fantastic!

I can think of 3 instances they missed open guys down field. Many others where guys were open but their QB is awful and couldn’t get it in the zip code.

Don’t have my eye on a next coach. Even if abysmal, he’s here for st least another year so no sense in window shopping now. Just don’t like seeing the same things happening I. Coverage that have in the past. Most teams will make us pay for those mistakes. Just so happens we played the worst team in D1 football today so yes, we looked fantastic!
They missed a deep shot into the end zone and a couple short throws that looked to be set up well. There was nothing today to really take away from this defense. It was like a scrimmage for them, and they were just whatever and allowed 0 points. You’re so fixated on the secondary, but I’m telling you right now it’s the front that is the weak spot. Need something from the 3 down linemen. Need Anderson healthy and good. Not sure he actually is though. This is Walters biggest negative so far imo. DL was already weak and he hasn’t really fixed that. But, he had old guys on the roster in that spot and had to completely overhaul the OL, WR, and secondary. We are in the midst of a rebuild and I wish you’d understand that.

They missed a deep shot into the end zone and a couple short throws that looked to be set up well. There was nothing today to really take away from this defense. It was like a scrimmage for them, and they were just whatever and allowed 0 points. You’re so fixated on the secondary, but I’m telling you right now it’s the front that is the weak spot. Need something from the 3 down linemen. Need Anderson healthy and good. Not sure he actually is though. This is Walters biggest negative so far imo. DL was already weak and he hasn’t really fixed that. But, he had old guys on the roster in that spot and had to completely overhaul the OL, WR, and secondary. We are in the midst of a rebuild and I wish you’d understand that.
A rebuild. From a team that went 8-4 before this coach showed and in the portal era? LOL

We’ll be rebuilding forever then!

DL is much much better than you’d like to think you’re observing. It won’t be the DL that costs us these games. It will be out corners out on islands with 0 help vs good WRs. Easy to scheme and be successful against.

Did I say it was perfect? No. I said it went almost exactly how you wanted it to go. There were mistakes. Those mistakes are quite fixable. Like I’ve said all year, Walter’s is increasing the talent. Unfortunately, rebuilds take more than 1 year. But Purdue also could have struggled out of the gate like a lot of teams.

And I’ll say it. Cards one deep bomb was perfectly placed. Idk what you didn’t like about that throw.

A rebuild. From a team that went 8-4 before this coach showed and in the portal era? LOL

We’ll be rebuilding forever then!

DL is much much better than you’d like to think you’re observing. It won’t be the DL that costs us these games. It will be out corners out on islands with 0 help vs good WRs. Easy to scheme and be successful against.
Idk what 8-4 has to do with last years teams. Compare them. Then add in the cultural issues Brohm left behind. Now do the talent that was left behind. I would go through it with you, but I’m afraid you would run from the conversation.

Walter’s has had two spring and one fall/winter portal period to make the team better. And we both know the spring portal isn’t really that great. It’s why they might do away with it. Corners will get better between games one and two. I’d expect the team to get better. They usually do between games one and two and for most of that secondary, it was game one in the system.

The stuff you saw, I saw all over the big ten yesterday. Heck, Nebraska is considered a top 20 defense and had the exact same issues. This isn’t Purdue specific. It’s week 1 specific.

ND just beat a top 20 SEC team in prime time in one of the more difficult road environments in all of college FB. Granted, TAM has a new coach, etc, but that's still a great win by any measure.
ND will play us like Wisky does, looking to just wear down our DL by the 4th qtr with the ground n pound.

ND just beat a top 20 SEC team in prime time in one of the more difficult road environments in all of college FB. Granted, TAM has a new coach, etc, but that's still a great win by any measure.
ND will play us like Wisky does, looking to just wear down our DL by the 4th qtr with the ground n pound.
nd is def a playoff team now w/ the 12 team format. They will get better as the season goes on plus they have an easy schedule ahead. Wasn't impressed w/ their QB but that #4 will give us fits along w/ that one receiver #17?, their db's can cover too

TAMU’s QB sucks, and as a result they aren’t very good.

I thought the pressure was definitely lacking and disappointing against a weak team. Then again we may have been very vanilla. No need to show anything for future opponents

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT