ADVERTISEMENT

In the spirit of the earlier thread, your most hated iu player

Knight was great until he got bigger than iu. Then he stopped recruiting and got complacent. He was always fishing and hunting and letting all of his assistants do the recruiting and coaching. Ten years later, he realized he screwed up. He tried to take ahold of the program again, but the game had passed him by. His antics didn't work anymore and he couldn't relate to the new kids.

Reactions: nagemj02
Knight was great until he got bigger than iu. Then he stopped recruiting and got complacent. He was always fishing and hunting and letting all of his assistants do the recruiting and coaching. Ten years later, he realized he screwed up. He tried to take ahold of the program again, but the game had passed him by. His antics didn't work anymore and he couldn't relate to the new kids.

Thomas Bryant, I just didn't like how he acted on the court, whining to the refs, screaming in the air, thumping his chest at any opportunity. And the double foul with Swanigan.

Not sure if it was just me, but did anyone else notice that Thomas Bryant didn’t know how to run? Looked like he was power walking on a floor escalator in an airport.

Not sure if it was just me, but did anyone else notice that Thomas Bryant didn’t know how to run? Looked like he was power walking on a floor escalator in an airport.

Yeah, always looked awkward. He had stiff legs and that’s something NBA folks worried about. I would worry too, the more stiff you run the more impact you’re going to put on your knees. The way Keion Brooks runs reminds me of the same thing....but maybe that’s just because he’s one lanky dude and a guy that long looks funny moving that well.

Robert Vaden gave a verbal to Purdue then wound up at IU. He eventually transferred to UAB. I disliked the backing out. Not sure what happened to Desmond Gadis who verbaled to Purdue with Vaden as freshmen I think.

I'm 47 and from years ago , my most hated player was Pat Graham. Over the past several years it would be Sheehey.

Robert Vaden gave a verbal to Purdue then wound up at IU. He eventually transferred to UAB. I disliked the backing out. Not sure what happened to Desmond Gadis who verbaled to Purdue with Vaden as freshmen I think.

Story I’ve always been told is this. My wife is from Indy and her brother was same age as Vaden and Gaddis who both started out at Cathedral. Brother in-law played football with Vaden at Cathedral who was a star in both sports. I think Vaden’s parents were out of the picture and the Gaddis’ were Vaden’s legal guardians. I believe Gaddis was offered first as a ploy to get Vaden (Gaddis was never B10 material) and that’s when Vaden committed. Gaddis got kicked out of Cathedral sometime during his sophomore year and Vaden followed suit and transferred to Pike and when Purdue learned about Gaddis behavioral issues they pulled his schollie and Vaden de-committed.

Don’t think Vaden de-committed and committed to IU out of spite, I just think he was very immature at 14-15 years old to be making that kind of decision was more than likely influenced by his guardians. Vaden went from Pike to prep school for a year to get his grades up and then committed to IU.

Vaden decommitted because iu's coach, Mike Davis joined his church in Indy even though he lived in Bloomington. He was around him all of the time and it paid off. after Davis got fired, he left IU to follow Davis at his new school in Alabama.

Vaden decommitted because iu's coach, Mike Davis joined his church in Indy even though he lived in Bloomington. He was around him all of the time and it paid off. after Davis got fired, he left IU to follow Davis at his new school in Alabama.

He committed to IU because of Mike Davis, but that’s not why he de-committed from Purdue. There was over a year gap between the time he de-committed from Purdue and committed to IU. He committed to Purdue before he ever played at a high school basketball game as a package deal with Desmond Gaddis. Once Gaddis was out of the picture with Purdue it was over with Vaden. I don’t Vaden ever wanted to go to Purdue, I just think he wanted to go wherever Gaddis went and he was influenced heavily as a 14 year old but the Gaddis family who was also Vaden’s legal guardians.

Vaden went to iu because Davis stalked him at their church. He then followed him to Alabama

He was the perfect arch-nemisis though. He won, which you have to have in a rivalry and he was a complete over the top douchebag, which you have to hate. I defy you to pull out a piece of paper and make up an arch-nemisis better than Bobby.
I would argue Tom Crean has a more punchable face.

Reactions: herrli
Well he lives in San Francisco, and went to IU, maybe he's referring to a different type of bud.

So, let's have a realistic look at Knight's last 20 because several of those were at Texas Tech:

I'm not making excuses for Knight, but....His worst record during those last 10 at IU was 19 wins/12 losses and a trip to the NCAA tourney. In those last 10 years in Bloomington, IU was in the NCAA's every season.

In his last ten years of coaching, seven were at TT, where he took them to them to the NCAA's four years, an unheard of feat for that school in the past several decades. His last season was the worst of those last 20...not 10 but 20...where he finished 12-8 but missed the show in a loaded Big 12.

I really don't think the game had passed him by, but that he'd been at it a long time and was tired of all the BS of the players, fans, and parents that had invaded the game by that time. And I will tell you this, had he not been fired Myles Brand understood that Knight was on the verge of another great run with JJ already in the tent, and with the young May along with Haston whom I know for sure would would have absolutely stayed to play his senior year with Knight, Brand could have never fired him after that. It was a power play of ego's and unfortunately Brand held the most aces, and IU basketball has been a chit hole ever since.

Reactions: herrli
What was it about him Graham? I can't seem to remember.

He was very arrogant and I went to church with people that attended school with him and they said the same. They said he was not very friendly and would walk right past you without saying a word. I also know some of his family that pretty much say the same.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I don't have anything to say about Pat but Greg Graham irritated the shit out of me when he was allowed to shoot like 26 free throws against us that one time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT