ADVERTISEMENT

Coach of the Year. Player of the Year

Bob Knight, that's the guy IU FIRED! Right?? And they wonder what happened to their program!

Reactions: tjreese
Matt Painter has coached against 6 different head coaches at Indinia, LOL!
I remember members of their fanbase saying they would never want Painter to be their coach. Not hearing much of that these days. But I haven't visted their board in a long time.

Ok so this is another one of those all time awards that only goes back 30 years. You say the name Jerry Lucas and people say, who?
Not really sure what you want? The award can only go back as far as it has existed. Yes, there were other players before that date that certainly would have won it multiple times had it existed. But it didn't exist, so blame the people that were in charge then for not having one I guess.

There are many of us who know who Lucas is. There are a lot of old people on here!

I remember members of their fanbase saying they would never want Painter to be their coach. Not hearing much of that these days. But I haven't visted their board in a long time.

They still insist he would have been fired before getting to this point.

He would have had a different trajectory there, maybe a better one with their resources.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
They still insist he would have been fired before getting to this point.

He would have had a different trajectory there, maybe a better one with their resources.
Great point. When IU had one of the top recruiting budgets in the nation, Cordova was cutting a budget that was already nowhere near the top in the B1G. Purdue is lucky that Painter stuck it out through that period.

My point was I read a lot more than this forum. And I’m annoyed at all these greatest of all time lists that only go back 30 years! Purdue actually did win an NCAA championship. Unfortunately it was before anybody cared and before the internet. Purdue had some awesome teams before Rose and Keady! While one award may not have existed, surely if you look hard enough, you can find other awards/recognition were provided by some entity! Wooden was an awesome basketball player for Purdue. But most people only think of him as the UCLA coach. And Mount was awesome for more than one year as was Jerry Lucas. Oscar Robertson was awesome in college but most people only remember him for his NBA accomplishments. Guys like Mike, Pettit, and Cousy were pretty good too. I just believe the legends of basketball are many times forgotten when today’s fans make those memes! It’s kind of like Bart Starr. His stats don’t compare to any modern day player, but his championships do. They say he only won 2 Super Bowls. But he won a bunch of NFL championships before that. It’s as if they don’t count because they didn’t have the words Super Bowl attached.

My point is simply people today don’t do a lot of research on the past if it was before 1980.

P
My point was I read a lot more than this forum. And I’m annoyed at all these greatest of all time lists that only go back 30 years! Purdue actually did win an NCAA championship. Unfortunately it was before anybody cared and before the internet. Purdue had some awesome teams before Rose and Keady! While one award may not have existed, surely if you look hard enough, you can find other awards/recognition were provided by some entity! Wooden was an awesome basketball player for Purdue. But most people only think of him as the UCLA coach. And Mount was awesome for more than one year as was Jerry Lucas. Oscar Robertson was awesome in college but most people only remember him for his NBA accomplishments. Guys like Mike, Pettit, and Cousy were pretty good too. I just believe the legends of basketball are many times forgotten when today’s fans make those memes! It’s kind of like Bart Starr. His stats don’t compare to any modern day player, but his championships do. They say he only won 2 Super Bowls. But he won a bunch of NFL championships before that. It’s as if they don’t count because they didn’t have the words Super Bowl attached.

My point is simply people today don’t do a lot of research on the past if it was before 1980.
Every award only goes back to the year it was started. I suppose a committee could retroactively vote on coaches and players from past years, but I don't know if there is the interest from the sponsors. It would be a pretty big effort.

Not really sure what you want? The award can only go back as far as it has existed. Yes, there were other players before that date that certainly would have won it multiple times had it existed. But it didn't exist, so blame the people that were in charge then for not having one I guess.

There are many of us who know who Lucas is. There are a lot of old people on here!
not old...large database of understandings ;)

What I’m trying to say is yes, that award only went back so far, but there were other awards that were almost identical that did actually exist. So that original meme is rather misleading to say only 5 players achieved this status! Many players achieved that status before that was made the “official “ award.

I also recall in the past, several companies gave out awards and very few times was there a consensus. Coach Keady won. Coach of the year by some magazine. So they said he won coach of the year. But some other coach was named coach of the year by some other sports service.

But my main point is the original meme is misleading because. It only goes back to the inception of when it first gave out the award. There were many other players who had those same accomplishments. Too bad, nobody is interested in taking the time to do any ncas basketball research anymore. If it’s not in the database, it must not exist.

What I’m trying to say is yes, that award only went back so far, but there were other awards that were almost identical that did actually exist. So that original meme is rather misleading to say only 5 players achieved this status! Many players achieved that status before that was made the “official “ award.

I also recall in the past, several companies gave out awards and very few times was there a consensus. Coach Keady won. Coach of the year by some magazine. So they said he won coach of the year. But some other coach was named coach of the year by some other sports service.

But my main point is the original meme is misleading because. It only goes back to the inception of when it first gave out the award. There were many other players who had those same accomplishments. Too bad, nobody is interested in taking the time to do any ncas basketball research anymore. If it’s not in the database, it must not exist.
I guess I'm still confused what you want? You want the award that didn't exist, to also acknowledge the people that played before they started their award? That doesn't seem too likely!

Why don't you list those players that should be recognized. In this thread you've listed guys that didn't play in the B1G (Cousy, Robertson, Pettit). So which guys should be listed as 2 time (or more) conference players of the year?

I guess I'm still confused what you want? You want the award that didn't exist, to also acknowledge the people that played before they started their award? That doesn't seem too likely!

Why don't you list those players that should be recognized. In this thread you've listed guys that didn't play in the B1G (Cousy, Robertson, Pettit). So which guys should be listed as 2 time (or more) conference players of the year?

Off the top of my head - Lucas and Earvin Johnson......maybe Cazzie Russell and Scott May?

Dang - it's a slow week.....haha.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Ok! What I’m saying is if some source wants to publish something publically and say Edey just joined an exclusive club of 5 players, how hard would it have been for that original meme to do some research to find players who accomplished the same feat before they started giving out their award? The award actually did exist before they started giving it out.

How hard would it have been to recognize awards to players previously given by some other source/agency?

wooden was an all American several years. However today’s media just has no interest in the real history of basketball.

I see this everyday where somebody posts their greatest of all time players in some sport and they only go back 10 to 20 years . It annoys me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT