ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois v. Purdue (Game Thread)

I saw Big Dog, the Fab 5, and Duke with Grant Hill and Christian Laettner against UNLV with Larry Johnson in the finals in 1990.

I am biased, sure, but there wasn’t anyone, anywhere near, not only the scorer Big Dog was, but also had the excitement, when he had the ball. He could get his shot anywhere, at any time, with anyone guarding him. It didn’t matter what the D did or who it was.

Last edited:
Doubt Ivey will be first player drafted or named best NCAA basketball player. Could be named first team AA but will never come close to Big Dog's college or pro scoring averages. Both great players and happy they are Boilers but Big Dog was once in a lifetime talent.
Big Dog would be very successful today with the reduced clock and tighter whistles everywhere except the low post. Jaden as good as he is today would still be good, but would be facing more physical play I believe. I expect Jaden to go early in the draft, but I doubt #1 and I realize that # 1 also includes competion differences due to different competition or years.

Big Dog was a scorer. Ivey is a super athlete. Announcers always make a big deal about a player averaging 20 points a game. The difference between 20 and 30 is night and day. There are few players in the history of the NCAA to average 30 a game and Glenn is in that club.

Mount: They talk about players being pure shooters, when they aren’t really pure shooters, just really really good shooters. Rick Mount, on the other hand, was a pure shooter; a phenom. That’s why he was on the cover of SI.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT