ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois v. Purdue (Game Thread)

Couple things:
1) Worst officiated 2nd half I can remember. I don't complain about officials because its just human error but that was beyond embarrassing. They honestly looked like tired old men just guessing about calls because it was past their bed time. Pathetic. I hope Painter sends every bias/wrong/missed call to the league office.
2) Ivey...I have only heard stories about big dog but I image he had several games like that. What a freak but huge credit for working on his game and making himself into a top 5 NBA lottery pick.
3) Morton and Furst- HUGE 8 pts from them tonight. Morton stepping up when we needed him most. Gave me goosebumps. His run was the most fired up I was all night yelling some lets ****ing go at the TV. Awesome to see them step-up when needed against a high level opponent.
Ivey is special but Big Dog was in a different world.

Zachen blotted out the sun

CloseAnchoredAkitainu-size_restricted.gif

I would like to give a shout out to Ethan Morton and Mason Gillis who, in the first half, made plays when we were struggling. Our bench and role players continue to show up when they are needed

Zach gets the spotlight but Travian is the straw that stirs the drink.

We have never had to player like Ivey ever. He is the reason I think we can win it all, nights like tonight when he just takes over. When we tapped out of the Tourney years past it has more times than not been due to scoring droughts and getting out-athleted (if that is a word). Ivey solves both.
That was probably the best overall game of the season. When Ivey is playing like that, there’s not a better guard in the country!

And player of the year and top draft pick when Michigan had Fab 5
NOTE: The 3-point shot was not in affect.

Mount scored in double figures for 72 consecutive games while scoring 30-plus points in 46 of those games. Both remain school records. He broke numerous Purdue scoring records that were held by Dave Schellhase and Terry Dischinger. During his career, he led the Boilers to a 56-20 overall record.

Mount never received a national player of the year award. He finished behind UCLA's Lew Alcindor and LSU's Pete Maravich.

Agree except Big Dog says don’t forget about me
I am 45 and I was on campus Big Dog’s last year.

I didn’t mean a scorer - Big Dog was on another planet. I meant a slashing wing that can get to the rim at will. Big Dog and Ivey are two elite scorers but two totally different players

that said from strictly a scorer’s perspective, there is no argument to be made. G-Rob is in the discussion of greatest college scorer ever. Ivey has the chance to deliver a championship, but will never be the scorer

I am 45 and I was on campus Big Dog’s last year.

I didn’t mean a scorer - Big Dog was on another planet. I meant a slashing wing that can get to the rim at will. Big Dog and Ivey are two elite scorers but two totally different players

that said from strictly a scorer’s perspective, there is no argument to be made. G-Rob is in the discussion of greatest college scorer ever. Ivey has the chance to deliver a championship, but will never be the scorer

Mount scored in double figures for 72 consecutive games while scoring 30-plus points in 46 of those games. Both remain school records. He broke numerous Purdue scoring records that were held by Dave Schellhase and Terry Dischinger. During his career, he led the Boilers to a 56-20 overall record.

Mount never received a national player of the year award. He finished behind UCLA's Lew Alcindor and LSU's Pete Maravich.

He had an entire season like that. Averaged over 30 points a game.

'94, his last year for Purdue - he led the Big Ten in scoring and rebounding - first one to do that since Mychal Thompson. Don't know if anyone's done it since. He'd get doubled/tripled, and they still couldn't stop him at times.....unbelievable mid-range game and slashing ability when they allowed a lot of contact, too.

and he should have , he was not in those player's hemisphere.

First high schooler on the cover of Sports Illustrated

'94, his last year for Purdue - he led the Big Ten in scoring and rebounding - first one to do that since Mychal Thompson. Don't know if anyone's done it since. He'd get doubled/tripled, and they still couldn't stop him at times.....unbelievable mid-range game and slashing ability when they allowed a lot of contact, too.
Joe Barry Carroll, Big Dog, and Ivey next?

I would like to give a shout out to Ethan Morton and Mason Gillis who, in the first half, made plays when we were struggling. Our bench and role players continue to show up when they are needed

Zach gets the spotlight but Travian is the straw that stirs the drink.

We have never had to player like Ivey ever. He is the reason I think we can win it all, nights like tonight when he just takes over. When we tapped out of the Tourney years past it has more times than not been due to scoring droughts and getting out-athleted (if that is a word). Ivey solves both.

Big Dog took over every night. He dominated just about every game he played in for Purdue.

Didn't Big Dog drop 49 on the Illini in his final home game? Scored from everywhere.. Amazing display. I was there but my memory is a little hazy so not sure of the exact details.

In 34 minutes, went for 49/5 with five steals....pretty much unstoppable.

18/26 from the field (5/10, 3pt), 8/10 from the line....missed a front-end late for 50.

Not a bad way to finish up @ Mackey Arena......and back in the day when winning the Big Ten was still a really Big deal. Boilers got some help from Michigan faltering that year as well.

Verne Lundquist and Al McGuire on the CBS call.

Last edited:

18/26 from the field (5/10, 3pt), 8/10 from the line....missed a front-end late for 50.

Not a bad way to finish up @ Mackey Arena......and back in the day when winning the Big Ten was still a really Big deal. Boilers got some help from Michigan faltering that year as well.

Nice.
Unfortunately I also remember being in Knoxville a couple weeks later. 😒

Some nice footage in there also of current freshman Brian Waddell's father Matt Waddell (whom I remember mostly as a little kid down my road on the school bus lol)...

JI is playing at a NPOTY level right now. He’s getting to that level of almost unstoppable.
The high screen action Painter had been running has made a huge difference.
The high screens have been there for some time. IMO, the big difference is that Jaden is under control and probing the D instead of just going full speed and seeing what happens. He is getting players on his hip and getting angles with the added midrange game where he just goes above the players for a very short shot. No longer can people just defend at both arcs, but now has to come out an extra 5 feet at times. Still teams jump to the lane on him and so the added threat of an 8 ft jumper and such in the lane makes him more deadly. His basketball understanding is catching up with his athleticism

Did Underwood say something there that irritated Painter?

I don't think so at all, behind the scenes (like Keady and Knight) Underwood and Painter are good friends and have some serious respect for each other. I think if you can read lips Painter is just explaining that he's going to lean on some people and get a freaking decimal shot clock. That was a bit embarrassing honestly. Fix that crap. Still though... how had it not been a problem all year and then we had the game stopped twice for it?

Been reading through some Illini threads from last night while I drink my morning coffee. Ones that stand out are calling Ivey a 'punk' who will 'fail at the next level' and that the refs 'did a great job tonight but of course the 50-50 calls go to the home team' :oops:😆

Some serious lols, although to their credit, nothing like serious crazy pills level like IU fans stopping by here.

Reactions: Level 42
Been reading through some Illini threads from last night while I drink my morning coffee. Ones that stand out are calling Ivey a 'punk' who will 'fail at the next level' and that the refs 'did a great job tonight but of course the 50-50 calls go to the home team' :oops:😆

Some serious lols, although to their credit, nothing like serious crazy pills level like IU fans stopping by here.
Well they earned the nickname illwhini for a reason.

Big Dog played in a different era. Ivey is the most athletic player we've ever had at Purdue. Big Dog was less of an athlete and more of a basketball player and natural scorer. In this era of guard centric play, I'll take more Ivey's every day of the week...
Big Dog on this team would be a national championship lock. He didn't have a ton of help on his teams.

Big Dog played in a different era. Ivey is the most athletic player we've ever had at Purdue. Big Dog was less of an athlete and more of a basketball player and natural scorer. In this era of guard centric play, I'll take more Ivey's every day of the week...
Big Dog could play in any era and if I had to chose him or Ivey, it wouldn't be close

That Carl guy seems a bit.. unbalanced
Illinois fan here. Was reading and wanted to correct the impression someone gave that Illinois fans don't think Ivey is that good. He's fantastic, my favorite player not on illinois. I hope he goes #1. Of course, on off game the next time we play you, if we play you, would be appreciated. LOL
Purdue has a great team and if Illinois doesn't do much in the tournament I'll be rooting for you all the way!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT