ADVERTISEMENT

If someone can explain to me how benching Hammons

Oct 27, 2006
For ten minutes to end game was what was best for program, please let me know.

Hammons single handedly put purdue in tourney with performance yesterday, then dominated 1st half. Then he gets benched for bad 5 minutes.

He didn't deserve that and it certainly didn't help Haas to go against Kaminsky and get embarrassed.

Um, when he can't even put up a shot without it being blocked.....he's done. They got in his head and owned him.

Originally posted by zthornto:
For ten minutes to end game was what was best for program, please let me know.

Hammons single handedly put purdue in tourney with performance yesterday, then dominated 1st half. Then he gets benched for bad 5 minutes.

He didn't deserve that and it certainly didn't help Haas to go against Kaminsky and get embarrassed.
You really think it would have made any difference? Wisconsin is just an excellent team.

He had 4 fouls and was dominated by Kaminsky while he was in the game.

Haas needs to learn from players like Kaminsky. I'm glad he got those minutes. He will be a better player with these types of experiences. He looked lost today, but his time will come.

Yes, I agree, let's also bring the Seahawks D in to go against the purdue football offense. When your confidence is down, the best way to get it back is to go against the best.

Th point isn't that Hammons coming back would have led to a win, but shouldn't you reward him for his play recently? Benching your best player to get blown out worse doesn't make sense to me. Kaminsky would not be benched in a similar situation.

Did you watch the 1st half of the game? Hammons was dominating. But you're right has looked great.

He had four fouls and Haas needs the experience for the tourney. No need to risk and injury to AJ.

That's why Painter makes the big money and we don't.

Yes he fouled out with 4, or do you mean that with 4 fouls there was a risk of he picked up 5th they might lose. The fouls were irrelevant and haas was out there regressing.

My point is this, Hummel would never have been benched to get someone more experience, but Hammons is just as important to this team. The whole "teach AJ a lesson" but has to stop.

Originally posted by proudopete:
He had four fouls and Haas needs the experience for the tourney. No need to risk and injury to AJ.

That's why Painter makes the big money and we don't.

My thought as well. The people be crying for CMP's head if he "let" AJ get hurt....man o man

I will say this slow for you this time.

AJ was not going to win the game alone and there was no reason to risk and injury knowing we have more games to play.

Hass has been less then stellar lately and will be needed in the tourney. Thus he needed more time against tough competition.

You are assuming AJ was being punished and you couldn't be more wrong. AJ was being protected and Haas was being prepared.

It's not hard to see if you adjust your perspective away from blaming Painter for losing to a top ten team with four frosh playing major minutes, with last years last place team, who just so happened to finish fourth this year.

AJ was gassed and wasn't helping. Big guys get beat up more than you know and playing two games in two days is difficult on a power player. Kaminsky first doesn't get beat up because the officials don't allow it and he doesn't really play a power game. Frank is more finesse than pure power.

Not playing your best player with 4 fouls down 10 is far riskier than benching him.

Everyone keeps acting like Hammons was atrocious the whole half. He had 17 great minutes in first half and 5 bad minutes in 2nd half, where he wasn't even that bad.

I questioned the same thing when he took him out, with the way Haas was playing. Maybe he should have left AJ in there even with the 4 fouls. I don't disagree with you on that.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

When it scrolls across the bottom of ESPN that we are on the bubble, am I hallucenating? I realize we are most likely in, but I'd prefer. It to get blown out and test it.

Maybe turn off the tv for a bit. We are not anywhere near being on the bubble. Unless of course you're an IU fan and confusing which board you're on.

Coaches know their team. Matt knew what was coming. You need to realize Purdue did not have the intensity in 2nd half and Matt saw that. They weren't up to the steep challenge. Give Purdue credit for playing a great 1st half against a Final 4 team. Purdue would be fortunate to play a team that likes to run and is weak defensively in the 1st rd.

This team getting in tourney was a very good accomplishment. Winning an upset 1st rd against a higher seed would be a nice season. Getting to sweet 16 would be a great season.

Originally posted by zthornto:
When it scrolls across the bottom of ESPN that we are on the bubble, am I hallucenating? I realize we are most likely in, but I'd prefer. It to get blown out and test it.

I love when posters no one has ever heard of show up on days when we lose.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Every expert I have heard says the committee only looks at who you played and if you won or lost. They don't factor in the scores.

Originally posted by TJBoiler:
Coaches know their team. Matt knew what was coming. You need to realize Purdue did not have the intensity in 2nd half and Matt saw that. They weren't up to the steep challenge. Give Purdue credit for playing a great 1st half against a Final 4 team. Purdue would be fortunate to play a team that likes to run and is weak defensively in the 1st rd.

This team getting in tourney was a very good accomplishment. Winning an upset 1st rd against a higher seed would be a nice season. Getting to sweet 16 would be a great season.
I disagree.

I think their intensity level was as strong as it was in the first half. Wisconsin just raised their level of play, Purdue needed to do the same (make a higher % of their open jumpers, draw a charge or two get a key steal or two, etc.) and obviously they did not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT