ADVERTISEMENT

If IU pulls off this class of Sisley/ Mullins/Haralson/Reibe.....

How does it work?? You cant be BOTH a mercenary NIL program and recruit Freshmen.
Sure you can. IU wouldn't be getting these guys for coaching or because of the program. They would be getting these guys because they are paying them, hence the mercenary NIL program.

Edit: Ah I see what you meant. Initially thought you were an IU fan arguing IU wasn't a mercenary program. because they recruit freshman. I agree with your sentiment while also maintaining that IU is a mercenary program that only gets anyone because they pay players.

Last edited:
I don’t pretend to know how much they are paying for NIL but I thought I heard they had an $8m budget and already gave some of their vets $400k and some of their other transfers $800k so probably can’t afford to give each of these guys $1m+. There just aren’t enough minutes to go around too. So if they get these guys it probably means renau and Mgbako aren’t coming back (*and tucker). I also would expect if Haralson goes there Rice will leave.

I don’t pretend to know how much they are paying for NIL but I thought I heard they had an $8m budget and already gave some of their vets $400k and some of their other transfers $800k so probably can’t afford to give each of these guys $1m+. There just aren’t enough minutes to go around too. So if they get these guys it probably means renau and Mgbako aren’t coming back (*and tucker). I also would expect if Haralson goes there Rice will leave.
I understand that CMP does not use the mercenary approach. Any speculation on how much our mercenary money bag would be if......
1. He sees the writing on the wall, is the last power-5 coach to 'hold out', and starts doing it.
2. CMP retires and the new HC does the mercenary thing.

Mack is projected first round pick but has to show he can actually guard and show quickness. Not much explosiveness with him.

Malik isn’t projected anywhere yet to the NBA…but I suppose he could always transfer. He has a lot to improve —shooting outside 8 ft, free throw %, moving his feet and standing straight up and not fouling so damn much (he has 4+ fouls A LOT).

Agreed on the not enough mins to go around. Will be interested to see how woody deals with that this year.

Uhh... Pretty easy really. I mean, everyone in the team is gonna end up getting paid. A chunk of your team is made up of guys you recruited out of HS and the other is from the portal that can fill holes.

Malik Reneau, Trey Galloway, Mackenzie Mgbako, Gabe Cupps, Anthony Leal, Jakai Newton, Bryce Tucker were high school recruits.

Myles Rice, Kanaan Carlyle, Luke Goode, Oumar Ballo, Langdon Hatton, Dallas James are portal guys.

So it's split at 7 and 6 for this upcoming season. And Leal, Hatton and James probably won't get huge run. Leal will get spots. Cupps will get his spots. Hard to say on Newton. But the hope is Cupps and Newton see it out for their time. All you can do in the portal age.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Uhh... Pretty easy really. I mean, everyone in the team is gonna end up getting paid. A chunk of your team is made up of guys you recruited out of HS and the other is from the portal that can fill holes.

Malik Reneau, Trey Galloway, Mackenzie Mgbako, Gabe Cupps, Anthony Leal, Jakai Newton, Bryce Tucker were high school recruits.

Myles Rice, Kanaan Carlyle, Luke Goode, Oumar Ballo, Langdon Hatton, Dallas James are portal guys.

So it's split at 7 and 6 for this upcoming season. And Leal, Hatton and James probably won't get huge run. Leal will get spots. Cupps will get his spots. Hard to say on Newton. But the hope is Cupps and Newton see it out for their time. All you can do in the portal age.
it’s actually more complicated than that. With the rules changing the schools will have to pay direct soon. A lot of this ambiguity goes away and it becomes borderline contract. So the rumors gallo and most of the existing players getting $300k-$800k each, with transfers rumored to get $800k-$1m, with some of the recruits getting rumored at $1m+ it’s going to blow up. Typically places of employment it’s the opposite, as is the case at Purdue, tenured employees who were loyal get the most, proven transfers get medium, and new recruits need to prove themselves and get the minimum. It’s hard enough to manage expectations for minutes let alone a split of the pot of money

it’s actually more complicated than that. With the rules changing the schools will have to pay direct soon. A lot of this ambiguity goes away and it becomes borderline contract. So the rumors gallo and most of the existing players getting $300k-$800k each, with transfers rumored to get $800k-$1m, with some of the recruits getting rumored at $1m+ it’s going to blow up. Typically places of employment it’s the opposite, as is the case at Purdue, tenured employees who were loyal get the most, proven transfers get medium, and new recruits need to prove themselves and get the minimum. It’s hard enough to manage expectations for minutes let alone a split of the pot of money
Well Indiana has the help of guy like Carl Cook and Mark Cuban. And will likely end up doing what Tennessee is doing by adding some sort of extra percentage to tickets that goes to players.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Not sure why Purdue fans care how or who another school recruits?

But if iu has same coach and program management.....does it matter anyway??

I guess I understand it if it's a recruit that Purdue also recruited and we lost the recruit to them because iu, or another school, had a better situation. But in a situation where recruits families are huge crazy fans of the school for generations....that is generally something we, or any school usually cannot compete against.

Well Indiana has the help of guy like Carl Cook and Mark Cuban. And will likely end up doing what Tennessee is doing by adding some sort of extra percentage to tickets that goes to players.
So marc Cuban is going to say to Rice hey you only got $800,000 to come here, and I just gave Haralson $1m to play over you. He’s done nothing and you were first team all PAC and picked up your life to come here. I’m going to make it right and force woody to give you minutes and double your salary? It’s just not going to work. This will backfire. I pay my employees well and they are grateful, until they find out the new guy is making more and then they leave or demand a sizable raise!

Think you missed the point of the post. If the house settlement agreement goes through somehow, all these outside donations to buy players will go away. Each school will just be limited to that 22 million to disperse among the school's athletes. Schools or collectives won't be able to just buy players anymore. So the point in your post will be moot.

Think you missed the point of the post. If the house settlement agreement goes through somehow, all these outside donations to buy players will go away. Each school will just be limited to that 22 million to disperse among the school's athletes. Schools or collectives won't be able to just buy players anymore. So the point in your post will be moot.
That won't happen. The courts are bending the NCAA every chance they can.

So marc Cuban is going to say to Rice hey you only got $800,000 to come here, and I just gave Haralson $1m to play over you. He’s done nothing and you were first team all PAC and picked up your life to come here. I’m going to make it right and force woody to give you minutes and double your salary? It’s just not going to work. This will backfire. I pay my employees well and they are grateful, until they find out the new guy is making more and then they leave or demand a sizable raise!
I agree that there are gonna be nuances on how this plays out in the next few years. The challenge you outlined is clear as day. So you’re gonna be a Builder from high school kids or mercenaries. I’m sure there will be some in between but that’s how I see it shaking out.

Going to be a $hit storm because the NCAA is run by inept morons who have no clue what to do.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I understand that CMP does not use the mercenary approach. Any speculation on how much our mercenary money bag would be if......
1. He sees the writing on the wall, is the last power-5 coach to 'hold out', and starts doing it.
2. CMP retires and the new HC does the mercenary thing.
He ain’t retiring anytime soon . Having too much fun dominating the Loosiers.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
But if iu has same coach and program management.....does it matter anyway??
I think this is the reason Haralson picked ND, look at IU team, last year a lack of guards, so they go out and buy some guards, but if you look at this years team, take away Ballo, they have no good centers. And all their centers and Power forwards could be gone, if Reneau and MagPuff move on to the g league their roster has no big men. Does Woody know how to build a team? NOPE

Disappointing to see Haralson go else where but I’ll take the ND pick over IU/MSU as a win win. He won’t be in the same conference and even better he won’t be playing for either of those other schools 👍🏼

Last edited:
Disappointing to see Haralson go else where but I’ll take the ND pick over IU/MSU as a win win. He won’t be in the same conference and even better he won’t be playing for either of those other schools 👍🏼
I’d say we need to get a regular series going with ND. Would be great to have a little in state rivalry going…wish we could add butler too…sorta like the Indy classic, but play both each year.

Reactions: cjcollie
I’d say we need to get a regular series going with ND. Would be great to have a little in state rivalry going…wish we could add butler too…sorta like the Indy classic, but play both each year.
Yes! It would make a lot of sense to get local schools on the schedule but unfortunately it doesn’t happen much anymore. I thought the crossroad classic was good for the whole state but some school had to ruin that….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT