ADVERTISEMENT

I see that Butler...

Ok back to the original topic, I believe 2 keys to the game are:
(1) Officiating, particularly in the paint
I think we will see a similar strategy from Butler as New Mexico (and others) employed. Basically try to neutralize our size advantage by being physical and trusting that the refs will not blow the whistle on every possession. In the first half against NM we started to pull away and the refs let them scratch and claw their way back into it. Unfortunately I don't see us having another +30 rebounding advantage, so we will need to hit free throws and a few outside shots if the officiating is tight on the outside and soft in the middle.
(2) Butler's outside shooting
Purdue can overcome mediocre outside shooting and win this one. Butler cannot. The 3 point line is the puncher's chance for anyone big or small to get a couple guys hot and carry a team to victory. It happens to us every year like clockwork against 1 or 2 teams in the nonconference. Last year was Vandy and Gardner Webb. This year I could easily see it being Butler.

We've been lucky so far that almost nobody has "gone off" on a hot shooting streak against us from the perimeter. I think part of it is the defense, but there's been some very good opportunities for teams that they've literally crapped the bed when given.

Butler likely will not be one of those - we will need to have our perimeter defense "on" against them.

Why is this event dumb?? If you go, you get to watch two games with the top four teams in the state. It's a great arena in a fun downtown atmosphere. Gives me an opportunity to watch Purdue with a much shorter drive than going to WL.

I won't beat a dead horse as there's another thread with a similar theme, but essentially…

1. We should be playing these games as home/home not on a neutral court.
2. This event prevents us from scheduling IU when we only play once (i.e. this year).
3. We essentially are playing a road game in this event every year since IU fans typically dominate.
4. Similar to #1, given the constant themes of weak non-conference home game schedules for season tickets and such, this should be played in home arenas. The Wooden Tradition we typically played good opponents that we're probably only going to schedule in a neutral site game, like Arizona, Davidson, Cincinnati, Louisville, etc. Why do we need to play Notre Dame in Indianapolis? Just play the game between W Lafayette and South Bend.
5. We play the same game every other year - kinda blah for a neutral site game.

I won't beat a dead horse as there's another thread with a similar theme, but essentially…

1. We should be playing these games as home/home not on a neutral court.
2. This event prevents us from scheduling IU when we only play once (i.e. this year).
3. We essentially are playing a road game in this event every year since IU fans typically dominate.
4. Similar to #1, given the constant themes of weak non-conference home game schedules for season tickets and such, this should be played in home arenas. The Wooden Tradition we typically played good opponents that we're probably only going to schedule in a neutral site game, like Arizona, Davidson, Cincinnati, Louisville, etc. Why do we need to play Notre Dame in Indianapolis? Just play the game between W Lafayette and South Bend.
5. We play the same game every other year - kinda blah for a neutral site game.

ND, BU and iu fans are all going to be cheering against PU.
ND, BU and Purdue fans are all going to be cheering against iu.

Will be interesting to hear if the crowd provides any advantage one way or the other for any teams.

Will be interesting to hear if the crowd provides any advantage one way or the other for any teams.

I mean, I went to the game the year Purdue probably had the best representation of its own fans and it was still not terribly favorable.

Purdue does a poor job of marketing these types of games, particularly to Purdue fans. They essentially put no effort into it unless it will benefit them financially. Never mind that getting people in Indy to go to a game there will probably increase their chances of coming up for a game later in the season. We have yet to sell out 1 game this season. Our game vs. Maryland on a Saturday is almost sold out, but other than that - nope.

I mean, I went to the game the year Purdue probably had the best representation of its own fans and it was still not terribly favorable.

Purdue does a poor job of marketing these types of games, particularly to Purdue fans. They essentially put no effort into it unless it will benefit them financially. Never mind that getting people in Indy to go to a game there will probably increase their chances of coming up for a game later in the season. We have yet to sell out 1 game this season. Our game vs. Maryland on a Saturday is almost sold out, but other than that - nope.
Just looked at tickets for Vandy and Iowa. Both games only have single seats available except in section 113 and there was only one row left that had seats. Based on that I think both will end up being sold out. Michigan is the game that we need to get folks to buy tickets for. Thursday night (still haven't announced tip time) and students are gone. Lots of tickets still available including some for $20. Come on, let's get some more Boiler fans in here. Section 117 will be bringing it!!

I think this is at least vastly overstated if not a complete misconception. I've been to this event three times. I don't believe most Butler or Notre Dame fans care that much about the game they aren't involved in. Even if they have cheering interests, they mostly just sit back and watch the game until maybe the last few minutes if it is close. In the years I've been, the fans from the early game are mostly gone during the second half of the later game anyway. Most IU and ND fans are going to get through the first game, maybe catch a little bit or half of our game, and then head out for dinner or something. The only time Saturday where the building will be full and there's a chance where all the fans there will be engaged in the game is at the end of the first game if it happens to be close.

Reactions: Dryfly88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT