ADVERTISEMENT

How Many Days Has It Been Since iu Defeated Purdue in BB?

Let’s take a look at the objective data from 2020:
Kenpom ranking: Purdue-24; iu-34
Kenpom offensive ranking: Purdue-50; iu-65
Kenpom defensive ranking: Purdue-11; iu-26
NET ranking: Purdue-32; iu-56
Head-to-head wins: Purdue-2; iu-0
BTT seed: Purdue-10; iu-11

I guess congrats to iu for playing cupcakes to inflate their record. Only an idiot would think iu was a better team than Purdue last year. By every objective and subjective measure, iu continues to play second fiddle to the Boilers.

I guess congrats to iu for playing cupcakes to inflate their record. Only an idiot would think iu was a better team than Purdue last year. By every objective and subjective measure, iu continues to play second fiddle to the Boilers.

Home_run_2_large.jpg

But, but, but IU pretzel boy just twisted and bent the head-to-head series right here on this thread to showcase IU's "modern era" dominance of Purdue... though I'm still trying to figure out his stellar "cherry picking" technique.

I think I have it now, IU pretzel boy logic: "Let's not count the first 60 games played 1901 through 1938. And we won't count the most recent 7 games either, you know the last 7 games Purdue won.
There, puts IU up by 14 games!"

Q76qv6M.gif

Here's how IU's "modern era" dominance plays out in IU pretzel boy's mind:

Let’s not forget that IU didn’t play a single true road game until the Bigten season basically forced them to. I guess Archie should get credit for pulling off the powder puff schedule while also keeping as many games in Ass Hall as possible. It certainly appears to have taken him off the hot seat by giving the fans talking points to portray the illusion of getting better.

But, but, but IU pretzel boy just twisted and bent the head-to-head series right here on this thread to showcase IU's "modern era" dominance of Purdue... though I'm still trying to figure out his stellar "cherry picking" technique.

I think I have it now, IU pretzel boy logic: "Let's not count the first 60 games played 1901 through 1938. And we won't count the most recent 7 games either, you know the last 7 games Purdue won.
There, puts IU up by 14 games!"

Q76qv6M.gif

Here's how IU's "modern era" dominance plays out in IU pretzel boy's mind:

Shall we remind them that during their Glory Days with RMK, our beloved Gene held a winning record against them.
So I ask how far back does the "modern era" go?
1980 is a pretty even number.

On March 13, 1980, No. 7 ranked Indiana faced No. 20 Purdue in the 1980 NCAA Sweet 16, held in Lexington. This is the only time the two schools have ever met in the NCAA Tournament. Although Indiana freshman Isiah Thomas scored 30 points, Purdue ultimately won the game 76-69 behind 20 points from Keith Edmonson and Drake Morris. Purdue reached the Final Four before losing to UCLA.[15]

In a February 18, 1997 game at Bloomington, No. 24 ranked Indiana was led by 31 points from freshman A. J. Guyton, including a three-pointer to tie the game at 87 in overtime. However, Purdue's Chad Austin hit the game winner with 0.6 seconds left in overtime to give Purdue their 4th win in a row against the Hoosiers. It was practically an instant replay from the previous season when Austin sank a three-pointer with 13.7 seconds left to lift Purdue to a 74-72 win in Bloomington. Austin scored 18 and Purdue freshman Brian Cardinal added 25 points in the 1997 game. The victory was the 400th of Gene Keady's career.[24]

Hall of Fame coach Bob Knight returns to Assembly Hall at halftime of Indiana's game against Purdue on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020.
Purdue spoils the Knight homecoming by defeating the Hoosiers 57-49.

So since 1980 'The modern Era" Purdue holds a 42-37 edge.

Shall we remind them that during their Glory Days with RMK, our beloved Gene held a winning record against them.
So I ask how far back does the "modern era" go?
1980 is a pretty even number.

On March 13, 1980, No. 7 ranked Indiana faced No. 20 Purdue in the 1980 NCAA Sweet 16, held in Lexington. This is the only time the two schools have ever met in the NCAA Tournament. Although Indiana freshman Isiah Thomas scored 30 points, Purdue ultimately won the game 76-69 behind 20 points from Keith Edmonson and Drake Morris. Purdue reached the Final Four before losing to UCLA.[15]

In a February 18, 1997 game at Bloomington, No. 24 ranked Indiana was led by 31 points from freshman A. J. Guyton, including a three-pointer to tie the game at 87 in overtime. However, Purdue's Chad Austin hit the game winner with 0.6 seconds left in overtime to give Purdue their 4th win in a row against the Hoosiers. It was practically an instant replay from the previous season when Austin sank a three-pointer with 13.7 seconds left to lift Purdue to a 74-72 win in Bloomington. Austin scored 18 and Purdue freshman Brian Cardinal added 25 points in the 1997 game. The victory was the 400th of Gene Keady's career.[24]

Hall of Fame coach Bob Knight returns to Assembly Hall at halftime of Indiana's game against Purdue on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020.
Purdue spoils the Knight homecoming by defeating the Hoosiers 57-49.

So since 1980 'The modern Era" Purdue holds a 42-37 edge.

I'm a "big picture" guy myself . . .

BoaT_racing_zpsbwxv7twr.jpg

#122-89

It has now been 1524 days since Purdue has lost a men's basketball game to IU. I guess it is still counting. If they did an iBasketball game and the IU team won, would that end the streak?

Reactions: JRowdy20
What are you considering the modern era?

You acting as if all Purdues wins were in the 1930’s and if you went back 5, 10, 20, 30 years that those splits would favor IU. Wrong.

you’d have to cherry-pick a pretty specific era for IU to be better than Purdue head-to-head.

That's actually a good question.

To me I consider the "modern era of college basketball" as the inception of the 3 point line and the shot clock moving from 45 seconds to 35 seconds. That occurred during the 86-87 season.

Before that you had the NCAA era which started in 1939.

Prior to that who knows what you called it as there was no shot clock, no 3 point line, and teams tipped off after every made basketball.

Breaking the results down in those 3 era's:

Modern College basketball: Purdue holds slight H2H advantage 33-30, Indiana leads in National Titles and F4's (1 title and 3 F4's to Purdue's 0) while Purdue leads in B10 titles 8-7

NCAA Era 1939-1986: Indiana holds head H2H advantage 49-39, has 4 National titles, 5 F4's, and 12 B10 titles. Purdue 0 National titles, 2 F4's, and 4

Pre NCAA Era: Purdue holds decided advantage with H2H record 50-10. Purdue has 1 claimed National Title in that era and won 12 conference championships to IU's 3.

I guess it just all depends on where you lie on the spectrum in terms of age. I was born in the late 50's and have always known IU to have the better program both H2H and on the national landscape, this is why the last decade of Purdue dominance stings because up until now, that's never been the case.

I think both IU and Purdue fans alike can agree that both programs have very proud and history rich traditions and have been the cream of the crop of the B10 for nearly 80 years. Purdue doesn't have near the national level of success that IU has but nonetheless has history that almost every other college basketball program should envy.

Reactions: shooter1977
It has now been 1524 days since Purdue has lost a men's basketball game to IU. I guess it is still counting. If they did an iBasketball game and the IU team won, would that end the streak?
The state of Indiana does not recognize iBasketball as legitimate basketball.

Reactions: Inspector100
Sorry to everyone that was waiting anxiously for the daily announcement of the status of this fact. I overslept and then had some pressing matters. But the greatly anticipated announcement is now here. It has not been 1526 days since Purdue lost to IU in men's basketball. Enjoy.

Well, the number continues to increase, virus or no virus. It is now 1550 days since a Purdue men's basketball team has lost a game to IU.

Reactions: Level 42
This thread is great stuff; good to know you care! Lol

FWIW - you guys are up to 857 days since you’ve beaten Michigan, and 45,417 days since you’ve beaten Florida State.

This thread is great stuff; good to know you care! Lol

FWIW - you guys are up to 857 days since you’ve beaten Michigan, and 45,417 days since you’ve beaten Florida State.

That's not good.

As bad as those numbers are, you haven't beaten Michigan OR Ohio State in 30 years, and only beaten Penn State once in that period. That's approximately 33,000 days and only one win.

;)

That's not good.

As bad as those numbers are, you haven't beaten Michigan OR Ohio State in 30 years, and only beaten Penn State once in that period. That's approximately 33,000 days and only one win.

;)
I believe he was talking about basketball. We beat both OSU and PSU in basketball this year.

That's not good.

;)
Oh geez - IU football? We just had a good year (for IU a really good year), but there's some real comedic gold in the IU football program!

The count is now to 1558 days that have passed since Purdue lost a MBB game to IU. Sorry I am a day late. I will do better next week.

Is it entirely likely that iu will have multiple recruiting classes who never beat Purdue?

I had a very busy weekend. It was great. Today was spent emptying the garage so the install crew can come in and put in a new garage door. Almost forgot to get to the weekly update of the status of Purdue's men's basketball team as compared to University of Indiana. Well the only thing new to report is that is has been 1578 days since PMB lost a game of basketball to them. Thanks for your time and...….Party On.

Reactions: PU pit bull
Another week filled with activity for me and I forgot to post the running total that is the subject of this thread. The garage install team of one person just left and now I have that new door in place. I expect great things from this product that will make my dwelling just a little more livable and appealing. But the real topic is that another eight days have past and Purdue's men's basketball team has not lost a game to our rivals down south. So that means the total number of days has increased to 1586 and is still growing.

Another week filled with activity for me and I forgot to post the running total that is the subject of this thread. The garage install team of one person just left and now I have that new door in place. I expect great things from this product that will make my dwelling just a little more livable and appealing. But the real topic is that another eight days have past and Purdue's men's basketball team has not lost a game to our rivals down south. So that means the total number of days has increased to 1586 and is still growing.

BOILER UP & GARAGE DOOR UP!

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT