ADVERTISEMENT

How is that defund the police thing working New York?

The discussion was on defunding the police and violent crime. But thanks for the article on apartments.

Well, if you want to talk about "defunding the police", then there was no defunding the police as the police budget increases every year.

If you want to talk about increase in violent crime, yes, there is increase in violent crimes, despite increase in police budget.

If you want to conclude that violent crimes are driving the citizens away in such a dramatic fashion that no one wants to live in the city, then the apartment rental prices don't support your conclusion.

If you follow the money, a lot of it left NYC to go elsewhere, right Mr. Pig?

No. I am sure a lot of money (and people) have left NYC, but I am also sure a lot of money (and people) come to NYC. Net-net, I don't see any evidence to suggest "a lot" left NYC. Can you be more concrete and show me how much?

According to the comptroller,

"FY 2021 City-funds revenues were increased by $617 million to $64.32 million. The increase primarily reflects higher-than-expected tax revenue collections through the first quarter of the fiscal year."

I am not convinced by your link on yuppies returning to "urban hot spots"

I am convinced by this article citing actual data in the WSJ in Jan. 2021

Sure, you can choose whatever you like to be convinced. You can choose to be convinced by article that says the world is flat, and I respect your freedom, as long as your freedom doesn't negatively affect me (e.g. if you believe taking the Covid vaccine will mean a chip is planted in you, and thus fill up the ICU beds that could have gone to my friends or families).

"The number of murders in the city rose to 462 last year, up nearly 45% from 319 in 2019, according to the NYPD. The increase accompanied a steep rise in gun violence more intense than any seen in the previous 20 years, according to police statistics.

Yes, I acknowledge that murders have increased.

The city recorded 1,531 shootings in 2020, 97% more than the 777 in 2019. Data showed the number of shooting victims in the city more than doubled to 1,868 in 2020 from 923 in 2019. The number of shooting victims exceeds the number of shootings because multiple people may be shot in a single incident."

Yes, I also acknowledge that shootings have increased.

But none of these is because the police was "defunded." The opposite is true - MORE money is given to the police department.

It'd be nice if people who were b!tching that there are more violent crimes b/c of "defunding the police" actually looked into the data and not fall the politician talk of "defunding the police" when the opposite is going on. People are just naive to believe when politicians say "Mexico will pay for it" or "China will pay for it" that is indeed the case. If they'd just do a little research, they'd have realized that none of that is true.

Last edited:
Well, if you want to talk about "defunding the police", then there was no defunding the police as the police budget increases every year.

Simply false. De Blasio made cuts to the police in his 2021 budget. That is defunding the police. After violent crime dramatically increased, he then increased the police budget in his 2022 budget.

You are probably off better talking about apartments.

No. I am sure a lot of money (and people) have left NYC, but I am also sure a lot of money (and people) come to NYC. Net-net, I don't see any evidence to suggest "a lot" left NYC. Can you be more concrete and show me how much?

According to the comptroller,

"FY 2021 City-funds revenues were increased by $617 million to $64.32 million. The increase primarily reflects higher-than-expected tax revenue collections through the first quarter of the fiscal year."

Sure, you can choose whatever you like to be convinced. You can choose to be convinced by article that says the world is flat, and I respect your freedom, as long as your freedom doesn't negatively affect me (e.g. if you believe taking the Covid vaccine will mean a chip is planted in you, and thus fill up the ICU beds that could have gone to my friends or families).

Yes, I acknowledge that murders have increased.

Yes, I also acknowledge that shootings have increased.

But none of these is because the police was "defunded." The opposite is true - MORE money is given to the police department.

It'd be nice if people who were b!tching that there are more violent crimes b/c of "defunding the police" actually looked into the data and not fall the politician talk of "defunding the police" when the opposite is going on. People are just naive to believe when politicians say "Mexico will pay for it" or "China will pay for it" that is indeed the case. If they'd just do a little research, they'd have realized that none of that is true.

What you don't seem to understand is that the budget was actually cut from 2020 to 2021. This article shows actual data of the adopted budget vs 2020.

"City funding for the NYPD is projected to decline by $282 million from $10.5 billion to $10.2 billion between fiscal years 2020 and 2021. The operating budget will decrease by $345 million, or 6.6 percent, from $5.2 billion in fiscal year 2020 to $4.9 billion in fiscal year 2021."

less than half of violent crimes lead to arrest and prosecution [prior to 2020].

less than 5% of arrests are for serious violent crime.

instead, departments and individual cops are incentivized to make the easy arrests for easier observable offenses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT